Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Playing catchup OTT but felt I needed to quote this because it scares the poo poo out of me.

A long time ago there was a country with a disenfranchised populace; they voted for a leader who was a blowhard rabble-rousing mouthpiece, backed by a party that was far more insidious and evil than him. Pre-WW2 this was exactly the kind of poo poo they enacted, using existing laws to crack down on dissent, while their golden boy was distracting the media of the time with wild accusations and rhetoric.

And Nazi Germany didn't happen overnight. It was a long creeping totalitarianism that took a decade to transform a disenfranchised lower class into a group who accepted fascism because they'd been gradually exposed to its ideas over many years.

quote:

“This separation of government from people, this widening of the gap, took place so gradually and so insensibly, each step disguised (perhaps not even intentionally) as a temporary emergency measure or associated with true patriotic allegiance or with real social purposes. And all the crises and reforms (real reforms, too) so occupied the people that they did not see the slow motion underneath, of the whole process of government growing remoter and remoter. ...

“To live in this process is absolutely not to be able to notice it – please try to believe me – unless one has a much greater degree of political awareness, acuity, than most of us had ever had occasion to develop.

“Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, ‘regretted,’ that, unless one were detached from the whole process from the beginning, unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these ‘little measures’ that no ‘patriotic German’ could resent must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. One day it is over his head.”

but lol Trumpy is a silly man who likes peepee and poopoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Chinatown posted:

Solar can't work at night!!!!

lol, I had a dude positively argue the value of coal vs solar with this.

He also said that “wind doesn’t blow all the time”, that “nazis are a 1st amendment issue”, and “wellllll, my 401k is doing better than the last 8 years”.

:hmbol: that potus made it okay to be retarded for these dudes.

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

:hmbol:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Playing catchup OTT but felt I needed to quote this because it scares the poo poo out of me.

A long time ago there was a country with a disenfranchised populace; they voted for a leader who was a blowhard rabble-rousing mouthpiece, backed by a party that was far more insidious and evil than him. Pre-WW2 this was exactly the kind of poo poo they enacted, using existing laws to crack down on dissent, while their golden boy was distracting the media of the time with wild accusations and rhetoric.

And Nazi Germany didn't happen overnight. It was a long creeping totalitarianism that took a decade to transform a disenfranchised lower class into a group who accepted fascism because they'd been gradually exposed to its ideas over many years.

Yeah deporting political opponents is not a good sign for our times and where we're heading

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

The republicans lost a special election to fill a vacant senate seat so they're going to stop holding special elections to fill vacant senate seats.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It'll be ok.

In ten years when we find out we've been secretly executing deportees, we'll be all apologetic and the ones that made it happen won't face any consequences.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Egbert Souse posted:

It'll be ok.

In ten years when we find out we've been secretly executing deportees, we'll be all apologetic and the ones that made it happen won't face any consequences.
That picture of German POWs reacting to concentration camp footage, but they've all got red MAGA hats on and are doing the ok symbol.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Where is the quote from?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Somewhere in WI I want you to know a good poster is struggling to die.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Yes, this is the thing that scares me about ICE & CBP & private prisons- when you incentivize it in a capitalistic way & weld it to a patriotic issue, people stop caring about the victims. "Well, they're criminals. They are here illegally." gently caress you, they're people. The first step is always to remove others from the class of humans.

ICE has deported people to their deaths, and I have a medium term concern of what will happen if they run out of bodies to deport, because the infrastructure is already in place.

And since I'm here, protests are breaking out in Switzerland and Davos' first day was completely snowed in and I love this picture:

https://www.politico.eu/article/davos-wef-snow-trump/

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

*sound people make after taking a refreshing drink* finally some class in the White House

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I was getting a little personally nervous about the immigrants being deported thing because I immigrated here as a kid but then realized that I came here from Iceland and I'm super duper white so lol

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Lucky number thirteen

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I was getting a little personally nervous about the immigrants being deported thing because I immigrated here as a kid but then realized that I came here from Iceland and I'm super duper white so lol
gently caress wouldn't you rather be in iceland?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kumo posted:

Yes, this is the thing that scares me about ICE & CBP & private prisons- when you incentivize it in a capitalistic way & weld it to a patriotic issue, people stop caring about the victims. "Well, they're criminals. They are here illegally." gently caress you, they're people. The first step is always to remove others from the class of humans.

ICE has deported people to their deaths, and I have a medium term concern of what will happen if they run out of bodies to deport, because the infrastructure is already in place.

And since I'm here, protests are breaking out in Switzerland and Davos' first day was completely snowed in and I love this picture:

https://www.politico.eu/article/davos-wef-snow-trump/
R6: Rogue Spear high def remake looking good.

Erosion of human rights in America looking less good.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Man I wish I knew people who would pay secret Hitler

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

edit: not an lol

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 24, 2018

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

moose face posted:

gently caress wouldn't you rather be in iceland?

In Icelandic I possess the language skills of a six year old making me eligible for menial jobs in manual labor or American president

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, gently caress anyone who equates people being here illegally, but otherwise with clean records as "criminals". The same fuckers wanting all this deregulation won't lift a finger to streamline anything for people who are essentially American citizens outside of some paperwork.

This is the entire point of the current Republican movement. It's not enough to be opposed to groups of people, it now must be necessary to invalidate their existence. If you're poor, a minority, a non-straight person, undocumented, etc. you're not really a person.

No one should forget that the end game is extermination of anyone who isn't them. If not by mind, it'll be by body.

As opposed to corporations, who are definitely people.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/956012274942128128

lol

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/956012274942128128

holy fuckin hmbol

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

In Icelandic I possess the language skills of a six year old making me eligible for menial jobs in manual labor or American president

lol

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
I really wonder where the gently caress this 50,000 missing texts number even comes from. It's being reported as if it's 50,000 between just two people. Even if there's 100 texts a day between these folks, that's over a year's worth of text messages.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
My dudes, I think Kelly is gone and there is now nothing standing between that man and his post new tweet button

and we are better for it

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
from the replies to that tweet

https://twitter.com/S_H_Countries/status/956013210364203009

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Great idea publicly screeching at one of the largest corporations in South Korea! That can only go well :rolleyes:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 24, 2018

Coral Reefer
Feb 19, 2005

I touched a clown and now I am going to jail. I hope they let me keep my beard.
Grimey Drawer

:hmbol: my balls have launched into deep space and are approaching the Delta Quadrant.

Working hard Mr. President! :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Knowing any degree of Icelandic makes you overqualified to be President of the United States, sorry to say.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Knowing any degree of Icelandic makes you overqualified to be President of the United States, sorry to say.

knowledge that Iceland is a place that exists and is not 'where snowmen and reindeer come from' is currently considered over-qualification for the presidency.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

verbal flailing

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

Great idea publicly screeching at one of the largest corporations in South Korea! That can only go well :rolleyes:

He already owned them by making their washing machines have a tariff lol

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Holy poo poo. Does Donald Jenna Jameson Trump think being mean to South Korea will make Kim Jong Un be friends with him?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

Where is the quote from?
c'mon son, select some text --> right click --> search google for
http://press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/511928.html

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/956015565776277510

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

TulliusCicero posted:

Only a day after 30% taxing solar panels. America first

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Clitch posted:

Holy poo poo. Does Donald Jenna Jameson Trump think

friend, let me stop you right there.

If you have not read Fire and Fury, it is made very clear that Donald Trump does not like to think, avoids doing so wherever possible in lieu of doing 'what feels right' and is extremely baffled by the concept of 'cause and effect'.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just keep playing the same loving note Donnie, no it doesn't make you look ineffectual and retarded

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Serak posted:

My dudes, I think Kelly is gone and there is now nothing standing between that man and his post new tweet button

and we are better for it

^
I think this latest incoherent tweet storm is proof that Kelly may have left the building (or is in the process of leaving)

The end is near my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Real talk, does he think he's being 'presidential'? As in does he think his behavior is on the same level as any of the past 45 presidents?

e: 44 presidents. Shouldn;t we have had more than that? It's like 2023 or something right?