Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any ETA on the true black OLED mode btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

101 posted:

Any ETA on the true black OLED mode btw?

A little ways off. Since it involves a full app theme and not just posts, I have to crowbar it in with the existing infra I built that assumes only two themes. Plus my laptop no longer supports my monitors so I get to do all Awful coding on a tiny laptop screen.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

carry on then posted:

A little ways off. Since it involves a full app theme and not just posts, I have to crowbar it in with the existing infra I built that assumes only two themes. Plus my laptop no longer supports my monitors so I get to do all Awful coding on a tiny laptop screen.

drat. Fair enough though. What happened with the monitors?

I mean… how dare you not have it done yet on this app I’ve spent no money on :argh:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

101 posted:

drat. Fair enough though. What happened with the monitors?

I mean… how dare you not have it done yet on this app I’ve spent no money on :argh:

Nothing bad. I just upgraded and my laptop can't drive the resolution so everything is blurry. Unfortunately I can't really use it like that without getting a fatiguied so I try to avoid it and just use my Windows desktop which can.

I'll quit being a baby and give the theme a look real soon :)

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Can we donate some money for a fancy new monitor or computer or what you need?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Nitr0 posted:

Can we donate some money for a fancy new monitor or computer or what you need?

no but if any of you work with tim cook tell him to make the tower mac pro again, those were neat.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Just wanted to stop by and say that I love this app and use it exclusively to browse the forums. I only open Safari to access mod powers.

Is there any chance that the app could ever integrate the mod stuff like editing threads, moving threads, and the punishment/reward menu? I’m guessing not but it can’t hurt to ask. :)

Is this possible without giving the app designers de facto mod powers??

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nude posted:

But of course some of you had to be goons about it.
Lol so you did read a few pages back.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Woosh.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I feel like I deserve an :ocelot: at least.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Billzasilver posted:

Is this possible without giving the app designers de facto mod powers??

We would need at least one mod to dump some html and probably test the features. For a long time this didn’t seem likely but there seems to be an uptick in interest lately...

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

carry on then posted:

We would need at least one mod to dump some html and probably test the features. For a long time this didn’t seem likely but there seems to be an uptick in interest lately...

They could make you mod...

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Trevor Hale posted:

They could make you mod...

Why would you wish that on anyone?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

carry on then posted:

I can ask, if you like.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's some enthusiasm from mods; pm factsareuseless to talk about the details and whether the admins can make it happen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Any chance the awful browser could block redirect ads?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Real hurthling! posted:

Do you mean like when you click on a link inside of a post, and it opens a browser, and inside of that browser is an ad that redirects you somewhere else? That sort of thing is well outside of the Awful app.

If you're talking about the redirect ads that show up at the top of the page when you're browsing the forums on mobile Safari, the Awful app does not show any of those ads at all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anthonypants posted:

Do you mean like when you click on a link inside of a post, and it opens a browser, and inside of that browser is an ad that redirects you somewhere else? That sort of thing is well outside of the Awful app.

If you're talking about the redirect ads that show up at the top of the page when you're browsing the forums on mobile Safari, the Awful app does not show any of those ads at all.

The former. Thanks anyway

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Any chance we can get a toggle to change direction. (Or outright disable) deleting bookmarked threads? The difference between “swipe from right edge to left to go back to last viewed thread” and “swipe right to left to delete bookmark” is not a whole lot and I’ve probably deleted a dozen bookmarked threads only to remember what they were weeks after the fact when browsing for something else.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
edit: ignore me, i suck at reading thread titles

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 24, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Pardon me with this dumb question I should probably already know the answer to: in Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Apps using iCloud... this is primarily for syncing your data across multiple Apple devices, correct? If my iPhone is my only Apple device, I don't really need most of these on because the iCloud backup also saves everything? Or is this data separate from the iCloud backup and needed if I perform a restore?

I think you're looking for the general iPhone thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3664222&perpage=40), this thread is specifically for discussing the Awful forums browser for iOS.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Real hurthling! posted:

Try a VPN based adblocker, it should help system-wide with stuff like that https://bit.ly/nomobileads3

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

goferchan posted:

Try a VPN based adblocker, it should help system-wide with stuff like that https://bit.ly/nomobileads3
A service like that is literally designed to capture all of your network traffic.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

I think you're looking for the general iPhone thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3664222&perpage=40), this thread is specifically for discussing the Awful forums browser for iOS.

Whoops, definitely meant to post that there and not here. Sorry!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Any chance we can get a toggle to change direction. (Or outright disable) deleting bookmarked threads? The difference between “swipe from right edge to left to go back to last viewed thread” and “swipe right to left to delete bookmark” is not a whole lot and I’ve probably deleted a dozen bookmarked threads only to remember what they were weeks after the fact when browsing for something else.

I second this request re: disabling the swipe-to-delete bookmark behavior!

Complementary feature request: add a Forward arrow at the top right of the bookmarks tab that returns you to the current thread, as another mechanism for performing the action currently only available with a swipe-right-edge gesture. This would better mirror the current return-to-thread-listing action which is activated by both a swipe-left-edge gesture and that top left Back arrow in the thread view.

anthonypants posted:

A service like that is literally designed to capture all of your network traffic.
Also I thought I'd seen that Apple has recently been cracking down on those VPNs that are sold as just adblockers, and is now actively removing them from the App Store.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They definitely removed the Adguard VPN based adblocker at least, which is a shame. Maybe others work, but that one was v popular.

I'm not too sure what to do about adblocking in not-safari nowadays. Thankfully lots of apps use safari for their browser I guess, so content blockers work here and there.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

jokes posted:

I'm not too sure what to do about adblocking in not-safari nowadays. Thankfully lots of apps use safari for their browser I guess, so content blockers work here and there.

For the ones that roll their own web view to force ads: One-star those fuckers and then don't use them anymore.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dont be mean to me posted:

For the ones that roll their own web view to force ads: One-star those fuckers and then don't use them anymore.
For the one linked above, the first and second questions of the FAQ are regarding the installation of their custom root certificate.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

anthonypants posted:

For the one linked above, the first and second questions of the FAQ are regarding the installation of their custom root certificate.

I was referring to the bad-acting apps that people who just want to use their phone might use, not stable geniuses literally MITMing themselves to strip the ads out of apps made by people bad enough to push apps with ads bad enough to even consider MITMing themselves over and then still using those apps.

Even if there was a way to trust your phone again without a DFU after pulling a stunt like that, VPN ad-blockers are against the whole operating plan of iOS so is anyone surprised that things were happening to them.

This should probably just head back to the iOS app thread.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 24, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
When i try to delete old PMs in the app it’s not working. I hit edit, then the minus next to the pm, and the delete button slides out on the right. When i tap that it just slides shut and the PM doesn’t get deleted.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

If you hit edit on a post, and then back out and try to quote or post instead, the app still tries to edit and the top right corner says “save”

Fedule posted:

Oh boy is this bug still around? It’s a doozy, especially, say, hypothetically, if you happen to be able to edit anyone’s posts and aren’t quite used to the button placement yet and occasionally hit that instead of quoting some good post or other.

Yup. I’m on iPhone 7 Plus, using the bug to not quote your post right now.

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 26, 2018

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Sometimes the app crashes when I try to quote someone but for the life of me I can't figure out how to reproduce it. Guess I'm just reporting it as it's been happening more frequently, I'll let you know if I figure out how to reproduce it.

It seems to sometimes happen if I type something, go back a page and quote someone. (On iPhone 8 latest version)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Billzasilver posted:

If you hit edit on a post, and then back out and try to quote or post instead, the app still tries to edit and the top right corner says “save”

Oh boy is this bug still around? It’s a doozy, especially, say, hypothetically, if you happen to be able to edit anyone’s posts and aren’t quite used to the button placement yet and occasionally hit that instead of quoting some good post or other.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Feature / option request: please allow disable of auto TIMG

Someday!

The_Doctor posted:

I’m getting double bookmarks!

Hoping this is fixed in the next version. By chance did you try tapping each of them? I bet at least one of them didn't end up loading the represented thread.

yaffle posted:

I've had problems before (I couldn't log in). Then I went to Hong Kong and everything was fine. Now I'm back in china, and although I seem to be logged in I can't refresh the forums or see the content of any forum (just a blank page). On a desktop everything is fine, but ever since the DNS attacks a few months ago if you log in from china (even through a VPN) you have to complete a captcha. I think the problems I'm having have to do with the app not being able to use/see/load/display the captcha, if you see what I mean. Is there any way around this or hope for a fix?

I suspect you're right about there being some step you need to complete and the app isn't detecting that and letting you do it. I have some hope for a fix but it's not a very high one; I think it might be hard for me to reliably reproduce. It's definitely on the list though.

Diabolik900 posted:

I had no idea. I really wish the App Store/Testflight handled situations like this where a build never goes through beta releases more smoothly.

I skip TestFlight when it's a quick fix like that, but I don't need to do that. It's partly out of laziness and partly because I don't just want TestFlight to be "I get new Awful versions 12 hours sooner than everyone else". I'll try to still push betas even for small things though.

Billzasilver posted:

Edit: something I just ran into. I’m on iPhone 7 Plus. Is there an option to make Instagram links open in the instagram app? It always opens in the awful app browser, and closest I could find was to share on Facebook or open in chrome.

I'll add it to the list!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Just wanted to stop by and say that I love this app and use it exclusively to browse the forums. I only open Safari to access mod powers.

Is there any chance that the app could ever integrate the mod stuff like editing threads, moving threads, and the punishment/reward menu? I’m guessing not but it can’t hurt to ask. :)

It's on the list, I'll +1 it there. I think we have what we need to at least attempt a working implementation, and I'm guessing there's a couple willing testers around here since it's come up a couple times.

carry on then posted:

Redoing themes is something I'd love to do someday, the current setup is a mess :( I scribbled down some notes with some thoughts I've had over the years that I've been avoiding messing with themes.

sebmojo posted:

There's some enthusiasm from mods; pm factsareuseless to talk about the details and whether the admins can make it happen.

Done! I think we have enough to get started. No idea on timeline though.

Real hurthling! posted:

It'll use any ad blockers you have installed system-wide, nothing more, nothing less.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Should be fixed in the next release. As an aside, and it's probably too late: you can shake to undo the deletion!

Grace Baiting posted:

Complementary feature request: add a Forward arrow at the top right of the bookmarks tab that returns you to the current thread, as another mechanism for performing the action currently only available with a swipe-right-edge gesture. This would better mirror the current return-to-thread-listing action which is activated by both a swipe-left-edge gesture and that top left Back arrow in the thread view.

This is a good idea, it's nice to have the feature but it'd be nice to make it discoverable and more usable.

Mr. Nice! posted:

When i try to delete old PMs in the app it’s not working. I hit edit, then the minus next to the pm, and the delete button slides out on the right. When i tap that it just slides shut and the PM doesn’t get deleted.

Oops. I see this is on the list, so now it's even more on the list!

Billzasilver posted:

Yup. I’m on iPhone 7 Plus, using the bug to not quote your post right now.

This is definitely a bug in that it's confusing, but it's intentional to let you build up an edit/post by going back and forth between the thread and the post. A lot of people find it confusing though, so I know we need to figure something out.

Nude posted:

Sometimes the app crashes when I try to quote someone but for the life of me I can't figure out how to reproduce it. Guess I'm just reporting it as it's been happening more frequently, I'll let you know if I figure out how to reproduce it.

It seems to sometimes happen if I type something, go back a page and quote someone. (On iPhone 8 latest version)

I'll check the crash logs. Definitely holler if you narrow it down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

pokeyman posted:

Hoping this is fixed in the next version. By chance did you try tapping each of them? I bet at least one of them didn't end up loading the represented thread.

Actually both go to the right thread! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

pokeyman posted:

This is definitely a bug in that it's confusing, but it's intentional to let you build up an edit/post by going back and forth between the thread and the post. A lot of people find it confusing though, so I know we need to figure something out.

Oh I gotcha. Most forums have some kind of multi-quote button, don’t they?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The_Doctor posted:

Actually both go to the right thread! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well poo poo, now I don’t know what he problem is.

Probably fixable by reinstalling the app. Sorry for such a lovely workaround.

Billzasilver posted:

Oh I gotcha. Most forums have some kind of multi-quote button, don’t they?

Maybe? Haven’t toured other forums apps but if you’ve seen something sensible hit me with a link or screenshot!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

How the hell do I turn off post previews. I need my posts to be instantly put online for maximum efficiency in shitposting

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey I've done some :spergin: tweaks to some of the app icons here. They were incorrectly scaled before resulting in some fringing artifacts wherever 2 colours would meet. That's been fixed along with some tiny changes to :frogout: and :staredog:. I've also made some dark backdrop versions of :v: and the gold icon.

Finally, the list icons for larger devices has been redrawn as there was an error in there.

Can someone please drop these into the app? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

NEED MORE MILK posted:

How the hell do I turn off post previews. I need my posts to be instantly put online for maximum efficiency in shitposting

Settings has it.