Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
MY DUDE HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT SYMPHO-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I just watched Land of the Lustrous, and it was fantastic. What are some other good anime that deal with Buddhist themes and philosophy?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Watch k-on!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Lesbian as all hell, though, so it fits that end at least. If Xun's willing to step out of their comfort zone a bit they might dig watching it with their gf. :unsmith:

No worries! We have actually already watched it together and really enjoyed it. Will definitely check out some of the recommendations though! Also legend of galactic heroes caus it has to be in the thread title for some reason

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I just watched Land of the Lustrous, and it was fantastic. What are some other good anime that deal with Buddhist themes and philosophy?
Saint Young Men literally has Buddha in it if you want some light gags about the idea, though it mostly focuses on gags about Jesus, who is also there.

Hunter x Hunter has some pretty heavy elements of it in the Chimera Ant Arc, but that's the second-to-last arc of the 2011 TV series and it's mostly absent from the rest of the show, since most of it's tied into characters who either aren't relevant or aren't introduced until that arc. It's also like 150 episodes long.

A lot of anime deal really heavily with reincarnation in a way that's clearly buddhist-influenced, but anime that outright discuss it or based a lot of their plot on it feel a lot rarer. I'm no expert on buddhism though, so maybe there are people out there who saw it in other shows.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I just imagined LotGH with Reinhard replaced by Oscar François de Jarjayes and this seems like a very good idea

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How much are you looking for just Buddhism as opposed to Japanese syncretism that has Buddhism, Shinto, ancestor worship, and sometimes a touch of Christianity thrown in?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

No worries! We have actually already watched it together and really enjoyed it. Will definitely check out some of the recommendations though! Also legend of galactic heroes caus it has to be in the thread title for some reason
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a really dry political space opera with most of its attempts at levity just being the characters being weird pricks to each other in between their 17 stage plans to overthrow the government. Literally everyone has some subplot about how they want to take command of the universe and they're all middle-aged men so it can be easy to lose track of who's who, and sometimes the series just gets stuck in weird diversions about some random planet's political situation that might not ever come up again. And since it's like 100 episodes long most of the battles are just two static spaceships firing lasers at each other while the characters have to explain verbally what they're doing since they can't animate it.

It's not a bad show, mind, it goes in some pretty interesting directions and it's so dry that it winds up semi-unintentionally hilarious when the characters do or say something weird, but unless you and your girlfriend are sci-fi buffs iunno if you'd get much out of it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

if you replace lesbian with a cast of almost entirely men and fighting with space ship battles and political intrigue legend of the galactic heroes is exactly what you're looking for

Some of the BL people draw of it kinda makes them look like a femme and butch girl respectively

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Legend of galactic heroes is a good show but the thread title is what it is as a joking reference to the fact that there used to be people who would basically disregard whatever a person said and just blindly recommend it a lot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the last rec thread died because a guy recommended legend of the galactic heroes to someone who said they liked kyousougiga

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah a lot of times rec threads become a way for people to try to fulfill their own desires and not really help others find poo poo they would like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yeah a lot of times rec threads become a way for people to try to fulfill their own desires and not really help others find poo poo they would like.
have you considered watching legend of the galactic heroes

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Paracelsus posted:

How much are you looking for just Buddhism as opposed to Japanese syncretism that has Buddhism, Shinto, ancestor worship, and sometimes a touch of Christianity thrown in?
Eh, its not ideal, but I'd take it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I sincerely believe everyone will love k-on

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Eh, its not ideal, but I'd take it.

Read Osamu Tezuka's Buddha manga if you haven't yet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the person that wanted lesbian fighting anime was ages ago (read: yesterday) and the show isnt lesbian but i just remembered soul eater existed, and its like the one shonen action anime with a female protagonist that ran in an actual shonen magazine and just follows pretty normal shonen storytelling without really being weird or fanservicey beyond how shonen normally is. so if your gf likes shows with female protagonists in general that's a good pull.

also i guess if you read crona as a girl you can say its kinda gay

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Madlax is sort of a lesbian fighting anime but it's also pretty slow and the plot is wonky as gently caress so ymmv.

The lesbian couple has two really good leifmotifs and eat pasta together though so that makes up for a lot.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Talk to me about Steins;Gate for a bit. I see a lot of people losing their poo poo over how good it is, but I have a few questions

1) How good is it actually? I haven't seen much discussion of it in the time I've been lurking here, and broadly speaking I trust you guys more than I trust, say, a sky-high MAL score
2) I've heard some vague stuff about how there's a trans character whose arc can be pretty uncomfortable or upsetting to watch. Without getting into outright spoilers, could I get a sense of what we're talking about here? Outright offensive? Well-meaning but kinda ignorant? Sensitively handled but just depressing/tragic? Something that's just in the VN, not the show? Problematic stuff definitely isn't a deal-breaker, but I want to get at least some sense of what to be ready for if I do end up watching the show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jenny Angel posted:

Talk to me about Steins;Gate for a bit. I see a lot of people losing their poo poo over how good it is, but I have a few questions

1) How good is it actually? I haven't seen much discussion of it in the time I've been lurking here, and broadly speaking I trust you guys more than I trust, say, a sky-high MAL score
2) I've heard some vague stuff about how there's a trans character whose arc can be pretty uncomfortable or upsetting to watch. Without getting into outright spoilers, could I get a sense of what we're talking about here? Outright offensive? Well-meaning but kinda ignorant? Sensitively handled but just depressing/tragic? Something that's just in the VN, not the show? Problematic stuff definitely isn't a deal-breaker, but I want to get at least some sense of what to be ready for if I do end up watching the show

1. it's a pretty good character-driven sci-fi story, it didn't blow me away but i had a really fun time watching it

2. ruka is kinda eh. i'd say it's pretty well-meaning but the way she's handled is just sort of bizarre and okabe has some weird bits with her. it's not super awful, it's just kinda weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

1) steins;gate starts out as a pretty okay comedy, turns into a pretty effective sci-fi thriller, and has a really good romance at its core. some of the side characters are a little overdone in terms of their shticks and some of the jokes dont land but it's pretty good.

2) ruka's shtick is that they want to be a girl partly because the main character, okabe, is straight, and they're into okabe. projection like that isnt uncommon for trans people but ruka is kind of a weirdly written half-and-half character where they don't really write them as a gay guy who presents femininely because that's what the person they're into seems to find most attractive but they don't really write them as a trans character anyway. it's not like, the worst thing ever but there's a couple of dumb jokes of okabe reminding themselves they're a 'guy', or perving on them and then going 'wait this shouldn't be a big deal!' okabe never comes across as a huge shithead, more an insecure nerd, partly because ruka never really articulates what they're going for or how they feel so it's hard to blame him for being kind of confused. and ruka's only a side character so it never really gets resolved in the anime (and the vn's resolution of it is also pretty mudled). overall id say there are ways you can read it that are better than others and the authorial intent is pretty clearly just mostly harmless gags that at their worst are mildly gay panic-y. iunno, it's kind of one of those things thats in the gray area enough that you have to judge it for yourself.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One of the few positives of the sorta sequel Steins;Gate 0 is that I felt they used Ruka's character a lot more effectively.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

2) ruka's shtick is that they want to be a girl partly because the main character, okabe, is straight, and they're into okabe. projection like that isnt uncommon for trans people but ruka is kind of a weirdly written half-and-half character where they don't really write them as a gay guy who presents femininely because that's what the person they're into seems to find most attractive but they don't really write them as a trans character anyway. it's not like, the worst thing ever but there's a couple of dumb jokes of okabe reminding themselves they're a 'guy', or perving on them and then going 'wait this shouldn't be a big deal!' okabe never comes across as a huge shithead, more an insecure nerd, partly because ruka never really articulates what they're going for or how they feel so it's hard to blame him for being kind of confused. and ruka's only a side character so it never really gets resolved in the anime (and the vn's resolution of it is also pretty mudled). overall id say there are ways you can read it that are better than others and the authorial intent is pretty clearly just mostly harmless gags that at their worst are mildly gay panic-y. iunno, it's kind of one of those things thats in the gray area enough that you have to judge it for yourself.

This is a great and thoughtful summary - I really appreciate it. Sounds like Steins;Gate might be worth checking out at some point, but probably not for a good while. For now, I'm focusing on the real Jukki Hanada-penned masterpiece... A Place Further than the Universe

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Steins gate is real good and you should check out out asap

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

This is a great and thoughtful summary - I really appreciate it. Sounds like Steins;Gate might be worth checking out at some point, but probably not for a good while. For now, I'm focusing on the real Jukki Hanada-penned masterpiece... A Place Further than the Universe
tbh part of the reason universe is super good is the director. not to downplay hanada or anything though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jenny Angel posted:

The key to Steins;Gate is that it's about the protagonist who's an oblivious jerk with this fanciful delusion of being a great man, and then he's called on his poo poo and has to actually become that person. It really rides the line between being a nerdy dude's fantasy and being a critique, and I think it handles the two gracefully (and I really like the series) but it's not nearly as harsh about it as, say, Welcome to the NHK.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I want to cry (of heartwarming), what 2017 anime should I watch?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

gmq posted:

Work your way up to season six of Natsume Yuujinchou.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for an anime from 2006 and it has an albino jazzman, and a dude with vice grips for hands, and a monkey that plays video games and theres a scene where the dude goes "yuka" and "rie" a whole loving ton, and it's trippy as poo poo.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

gmq posted:

demi-chan is very sweet

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for an anime from 2006 and it has an albino jazzman, and a dude with vice grips for hands, and a monkey that plays video games and theres a scene where the dude goes "yuka" and "rie" a whole loving ton, and it's trippy as poo poo.

Sounds like Kemonozume.

Aired in 2006, has characters named Yuka and Rie, there's a monkey and playing videogames wouldn't be the strangest thing it did, and while it's been some years since I saw it I think the mechs they use have vice grip hands.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone recommend a good anime for young kids, something with a narrative and lots of episodes? We're trying to avoid Pokemon.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

there wolf posted:

Can anyone recommend a good anime for young kids, something with a narrative and lots of episodes? We're trying to avoid Pokemon.

digimon tamers

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

there wolf posted:

Card Captor Sakura, if their reading is at a point where they can read subs.

My understanding is that Glitter Force is kind of a butchering of whichever Precure it's a localization of, but otoh I know young girls who love it, so :shrug:

Actually, I guess that same "who cares if it's butchered if kids like it" logic would apply to the Cardcaptors dub.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

there wolf posted:

Princess Tutu

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

depending on how young and also how tetchy you get about sex jokes, Dragon Ball

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

there wolf posted:

If they are maybe age 9+ then I think Little Witch Academia is pretty great. Kids younger than that might have trouble following the plot. It's PG rated, 25 episodes, on Netflix, has an English dub although I've heard the dub translation makes some hefty departures from the original Japanese dialogue (I've only watched it with fairly literal fansubs so I'm not certain how much is changed). It has a main narrative that's kinda in the background for most of the show's run while the main cast have wacky episodic adventures, and then the plot comes to a climax over the last 4-5 episodes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

there wolf posted:

Digimon and Precure would be my go-to for long children's anime with narrative. Astro Boy would be a solid pick too, just know that that hong kong subs covers the 2nd half of it since no one ever fansubbed it fully.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

there wolf posted:

One Piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

One Piece 4kids dub