Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

No we wont. Brought back a jar and everyone I know either hated it, or barely mildly tolerated that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Oh god WHY.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
All of you scandalized at people liking licorice should check out another of Scandinavia/Finland's horrific inventions.

Turkish Pepper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrkisk_peber

It's basically a shell of hard, black licorice that isn't all that bad, but after about 20 seconds, it melts and dumps an entire gallon or so of ammonium chloride and pepper into your mouth all at once.

I tried it when I was in Finland over the summer. It was horrific.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I'm sorry. I might be the weird one here, but would. 100%.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

All of you scandalized at people liking licorice should check out another of Scandinavia/Finland's horrific inventions.

Turkish Pepper.

It's basically a shell of hard, black licorice that isn't all that bad, but after about 20 seconds, it melts and dumps an entire gallon or so of ammonium chloride and pepper into your mouth all at once.

And then do you wash it down with a big ol' shot of mallort?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
This thread is certainly short of happy little Vegemites as bright as bright can be.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Tolypers colony with the lot of you, so this thread can get a Fresh Start.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

Turkish Pepper.

Now there is also a "candy/fruit flavor"-variant. However they also contain the spoonful of ammonium chloride and pepper. And its one of the most liked candies around here.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Captain Monkey posted:

Turkish Pepper.

This is loving awesome, I've eaten tons of it as a kid.

You can also crush it and dissolve it into alcohol for shots.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

evobatman posted:

This is loving awesome, I've eaten tons of it as a kid.

You can also crush it and dissolve it into alcohol for shots.

This poster knows how it is.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm imagining Jägermeister that the cat pissed in, how far off am I?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Apparently ammonium chloride neutralizes the natural bitterness of alcohol, so you can mix salty licorice with vodka and not realize how much you're drinking until you pass out.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

chitoryu12 posted:

Apparently ammonium chloride neutralizes the natural bitterness of alcohol, so you can mix salty licorice with vodka and not realize how much you're drinking until you pass out.

In the Netherlands we've got licorice flavored liqueur called Dropshot. Drop = Dutch for licorice, and you tend to drink it as a shot. I used to to think they really went all-in on the pun, but maybe they realized people shouldn't be drinking something like that in a regular glass since it has 20% alcohol.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I keep thinking this is the FOOF thread because ammonium chloride sounds like the last thing anyone would want to put into food but apparently it's non-toxic despite being made from ammonia and hydrochloric acid.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

And then do you wash it down with a big ol' shot of mallort?

I was there with my very religious teetotaling in-laws, so no.

I did get shitfaced in Helsinki a few days later, though and mallort was a disgusting part of that. Then we went to a bunch of bars, and ended up in a random Irish bar near a train station by the end of the night, where I went back to whiskey for the rest of the evening.

edit: nvm, it was not mallort, I got it confused with akvavit.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Jan 23, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I still haven't gone drinking in foreign countries, but I've had two "Oh poo poo" moments in NYC. One was at Maysville, a really nice whiskey bar where I decided to broaden my horizons and sample at least one of each type of whiskey and a Boulevardier. I ended up downing something like 7 ounces by the end of the night, at which point I had to take myself to dinner.

The other was the Russian Vodka Bar near Times Square, which is a wonderful place with good food and strong drinks frequented by Russians. After I already had a cocktail that was mostly a glass of vodka, I ordered a shot of infused vodka for the road. The bartender gave me two for free.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

pffffff joke’s on you i can do that anyway

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Captain Monkey posted:

I was there with my very religious teetotaling in-laws, so no.

I did get shitfaced in Helsinki a few days later, though and mallort was a disgusting part of that. Then we went to a bunch of bars, and ended up in a random Irish bar near a train station by the end of the night, where I went back to whiskey for the rest of the evening.

edit: nvm, it was not mallort, I got it confused with akvavit.

Malort's a specific brand. The general type of awful-tasting crap that Malort is is called bask. It's Swedish, not Finnish.

But it's pretty bad. The worst part of Malort is that it's so persistent, you pretty much keep tasting it in your mouth for the next hour, and it just contaminates everything else you try to drink to get the taste out of your mouth. Akvavit is wonderful by comparison.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I had Malort and balut confused so the past several posts of this thread seemed weirder than usual

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Malort's a specific brand. The general type of awful-tasting crap that Malort is is called bask. It's Swedish, not Finnish.

But it's pretty bad. The worst part of Malort is that it's so persistent, you pretty much keep tasting it in your mouth for the next hour, and it just contaminates everything else you try to drink to get the taste out of your mouth. Akvavit is wonderful by comparison.

Yeah I googled it after to try and find the bottle and realized it was completely different, so I edited my post. Weirdly, the nearly identical (as far as I'm aware?) aquavit Brennivin that I had on the same trip while in Iceland was drinkable, but the 'akvavit' in Finland was just bad, it might've been the brand or something, it was hard to keep track of things once I started drinking with Finns.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I keep thinking this is the FOOF thread because ammonium chloride sounds like the last thing anyone would want to put into food but apparently it's non-toxic despite being made from ammonia and hydrochloric acid.

Yeah, but did you know they make salt out of a metal that explodes on contact with water and a highly poisonous gas?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I will drink the dick off some aquavit but Malort is so loving nasty it has to be tasted to be believed.

Trig Discipline has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Jan 24, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
John Hodgman said it tastes like “pencil shavings and regret”, and I think even that is generous.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had Malort in a cocktail up in Detroit, but it was Anguish & Regret made with ras al hanout spice blend.

Amongst the Bushes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Malort once had a contest to come up with a new slogan and one of the best was "Jepson's Malort: Tonight you fight your dad."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

I had Malort in a cocktail up in Detroit, but it was Anguish & Regret made with ras al hanout spice blend.

That sounds nothing like Malort, though. “I had Jagermeister in a cocktail, but it was Frangelico made with hazelnuts.”

Did you ever make your torpedo juice?

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Jan 24, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A Finnish friend of mine let me try some Turkish Pepper and I can't get enough of that stuff, so all you naysayers are bad. :colbert:

However, I dislike Vegemite because it's not as strong as Marmite so maybe my taste buds are broken.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've eaten that. It's fairly similar to chocolate with salt, but there's a nice hint of Vegemite at the end. It's not something I'd go out of my way for (largely because I'm not that keen on milk chocolate) but I'd eat it again if it was offered to me.

Ibblebibble posted:

However, I dislike Vegemite because it's not as strong as Marmite so maybe my taste buds are broken.
Vegemite and English Marmite are very similar in taste, but Marmite has a little bit of a sourer taste and more of a honey-like texture. It's been years since I tried Australian Marmite, but it's quite different to English, being more the consistency of Vegemite but sweeter, as I recall. There's also Promite, which I think is pretty similar to Australian Marmite?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

That sounds nothing like Malort, though. “I had Jagermeister in a cocktail, but it was Frangelico made with hazelnuts.”

Did you ever make your torpedo juice?

I've got the components for it and I'm just waiting for the right time. I was trying to rope my friend into doing it with me but I might have to do it on my own because of how incredibly busy she is.

And technically it's still a kind of bask (though it can't be legally called Malort due to trademark) because it includes wormwood and is bitter with no sugar.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Tiggum posted:

s a nice hint of Vegemite

:thunk:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Agreed, gotta have more than a hint for it to be nice.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Vegemite and English Marmite are very similar in taste, but Marmite has a little bit of a sourer taste and more of a honey-like texture. It's been years since I tried Australian Marmite, but it's quite different to English, being more the consistency of Vegemite but sweeter, as I recall. There's also Promite, which I think is pretty similar to Australian Marmite?
My Kiwi husband turns his nose up at any -mite that isn't NZ Marmite. God forbid he settle for the Marmite reliably available in stores here (possibly British). Instead, we have to special-order it from the other side of the world. At least a jar lasts a good long while.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Well, I just ordered some Turkish Pepper on Amazon. We'll see what happens.

e: just noticed the version I ordered doesn't have pepper in it.

10 Beers has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Jan 24, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Malort once had a contest to come up with a new slogan and one of the best was "Jepson's Malort: Tonight you fight your dad."

Another finalist was "Because your pants aren't gonna poo poo themselves."

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

10 Beers posted:

Well, I just ordered some Turkish Pepper on Amazon. We'll see what happens.

e: just noticed the version I ordered doesn't have pepper in it.

If you really want the cultural experience try ordering some Finnish tar candy if you find it.

...It's a dark frozen bog wasteland, we are bit short on delicacy over here.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Another finalist was "Because your pants aren't gonna poo poo themselves."

"Tastes like a witch's curse." is probably my favourite.

Malort is awesome and great, gently caress all the haters!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Everyone who likes it has Stockholm syndrome.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I had Salmiakki icecream last time I was in Finland. The whole thing was salmiakki flavour, including the chocolate coating. The icecream itself was grey.

Don’t eat salmiakki icecream. It’s depressing.

Vegemite chocolate was delicious. It was basically just caramel Dairy Milk with a little Vegemite added to the filling. I’d have it again if they brought it back.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Everyone who likes it has Stockholm syndrome.

Everyone who doesn't has no taste! :wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

All of these "strange" foods I could reasonably see people eating but I still have never seen justification for: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

Just reading the "controversy" page alone is hilarious and I wonder if there's many people who enjoyed it the first time