Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Wait, do you guys hate Alexa too? I find virtual assistants terrifying but I find cars and phones and watches scary too so my standards are probably not usual.

as much as I love tech and "living in the future", something about virtual assistants turns me off. It just seems like a weird piece of conspicuous consumption that's only been made popular by incessant advertising.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Starman Super DX posted:

as much as I love tech and "living in the future", something about virtual assistants turns me off. It just seems like a weird piece of conspicuous consumption that's only been made popular by incessant advertising.

I feel self-concious being around an open-mic but yeah, they also seem really Keepin'-up-with-the-Joneses too. I had access to an echo for an afternoon once and got all my curiosity about it's limits out, but it still makes me feel weird hearing little kids interact with one.

Sig by Heather Papps

alnilam

I don't like them they don't even seen that useful

BoldFrankensteinMir

Edit- doublepost cuz Im dumb.
I never thought about it but maybe having Alexa/Siri/Cortana living in your walls is SUPPOSED to make people like me not want to visit your home. It's like green-apple spray but for neurotic scifi writers instead of voles.

Sig by Heather Papps

City of Glompton

i love my google assistant

i like the reminders and the timers and the music playing

it's esp nice in the kitchen

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

cda

by Hand Knit
I don't like that it's called Alexa

cda

by Hand Knit
Don't name things after people

City of Glompton

i'm glad mine is just called google, I don't know anyone named google (yet)

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Robot Made of Meat

funmanguy posted:

I got thingy that lets me steam veggies in the microwave. Tonight is a classic B&B

Broccoli and Burger

A bowl?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

alnilam posted:

I don't like them they don't even seen that useful

Much as I like certain tech, I agree. I've had the ability for decades to automate things using X-10 or computers or timers or advanced remote controls, but I never could see the point. Aside from my coffee maker and the lights in my library, I really don't need automation, and I definitely don't need a little box that I can tell to order me more fennel or whatever.

Robot Made of Meat fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 24, 2018

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I have definitely noticed that Google's assistant is not trying as hard to be a fake person and I appreciate that. If I had to use one that's the one I'd pick.

I don't mind working on the USS Enterprise but I like living in a cave.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
I think I'd find the automation and voice commands useful, but I don't want to take the time to set up a virtual assistant and I also feel weird about giving a company an even bigger peephole into my life. :smith:

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

cda

by Hand Knit
just throw it off the scent by ordering things you don't like and asking it questions you don't want to know the answers to

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I would gaslight my AI house incessantly thinking I was accomplishing something. Once a client wanted me to write a script in this group-doccument software that tracked exactly how many seconds a day you were typing and monitored your pauses, so I built a script to type out "you can't spy on me" over and over in the background as I ran offline screenplay software in the foreground. I spent too much time on getting the timing just variable enough to trick it.

Sig by Heather Papps

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Apparently you can learn to program raspberry pi to work with digi assistants and run an electrical relay board to make dumb appliances smarter... or at least turn on and off by voice command

This would be extremely useful for pretending to be on a starship

BoldFrankensteinMir

They seem like lab assistants especially, which is fitting since like 70% of the things are installed in kitchens. Kitchens are just food labs. And you need timers and recipes and unit conversions there.

I cook with crude iron tools because I don't trust fancy non-stick pans like a furrough-browed mountain person, so maybe I'll show up to the AI kitchen buddy party after I get over touch-operated sinks. Might be a while.

Sig by Heather Papps

POOL IS CLOSED

cda posted:

just throw it off the scent by ordering things you don't like and asking it questions you don't want to know the answers to

what if we try negging it so it's not confident about its observations and winds up paralyzed by imposter syndrome?

I would gaslight my AI house incessantly thinking I was accomplishing something. Once a client wanted me to write a script in this group-doccument software that tracked exactly how many seconds a day you were typing and monitored your pauses, so I built a script to type out "you can't spy on me" over and over in the background as I ran offline screenplay software in the foreground. I spent too much time on getting the timing just variable enough to trick it.

you deserve better

and that was a good trick

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

I feel self-concious being around an open-mic but yeah, they also seem really Keepin'-up-with-the-Joneses too. I had access to an echo for an afternoon once and got all my curiosity about it's limits out, but it still makes me feel weird hearing little kids interact with one.

Yeah this too. Which is why you hear next to nothing in these cute videos I took of my ratties :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV61DHx-46w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RsONPRkwoo

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Koishi Komeiji

At 0:21 I'm sorry but that is an obvious three count and the ref just happens to be distracted. Wrestling is so fake :rolleyes:

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

I cook with crude iron tools because I don't trust fancy non-stick pans like a furrough-browed mountain person,
I don't mistrust non-stick pans per-se, they're just not as good as crude iron tools.
Assistants seem like the same sort of non-advance, where the progress is slightly worse than sideways from the old way of doing things.
Dishwashers are cool though.
I look forward to the first assistant that has a mobile platform and an arm, so you can have it actually assist with things.
Or the first one someone programs to do your taxes, which seems like it should be an obvious thing for google assistant to do, their stuff can already get in my email and read things, why isn't it reading my tax documents and putting them somewhere appropriate for me?

Barnes And Body Works

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

UWBW posted:

My boss said he's happy with my performance today. This is after two weeks at a new job with no training thinking I was blundering through everything. I'm ecstatic. How are you guys?

me good..

Vanisher made my super slick sig.

Koishi Komeiji

UWBW posted:

My boss said he's happy with my performance today. This is after two weeks at a new job with no training thinking I was blundering through everything. I'm ecstatic. How are you guys?

The entire IT industry is just bullshitting people into thinking you know what you're doing with computers. Say computer words like "megabyte" and "download" every now and then and you'll do fine.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
I getted a new tefelon 2day yay 😎
i can emojie way eazlier but not so much with the emotes🙈 where is my screen kbd arrows apple !!!😩

any way i got like
unlaminated data so ill :justpost: in my justpost hat and chill about it
i went to login and couldent remember my pw so i guessed what i wanted2 change it 2 n it worked!!
until i post again 2222deuces22

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Koishi Komeiji posted:

The entire IT industry is just bullshitting people into thinking you know what you're doing with computers. Say computer words like "megabyte" and "download" every now and then and you'll do fine.

when you think about it, pretty much everything in life is like this

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Gone Fashing posted:

when you think about it, pretty much everything in life is like this

i bullshit the computers that i inow what im doing with people :/

I Dunno

I had a dream the other night that someone broke into my car and ate all the food I had in there, and since they felt bad, to repay me they left like five gigantic bags of cocaine.

I Dunno

Also Alexa is scary don't get it.

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
I lag behind tech a few gens until it doesn't make sense not to do it. I just got venmo and spotify and I'll tell u here those are some quality apps mhmm

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Wherres vanisher

byob historian

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I lag behind tech a few gens until it doesn't make sense not to do it. I just got venmo and spotify and I'll tell u here those are some quality apps mhmm

my x use 2 talk about spotify but i wood just us itunes to put music on mu fone like a dumbo

sb hermit

AverySpecialfriend posted:

some stranger sent me $20 on venmo two weeks ago. I didn’t use venmo then, so I spent 3 days trying to tell a customer service agent that I didn’t want their money and I didn’t want to make an account, read a ToS, memorize a password, etc ... in order to return someone’s money to them (who knows, they may really need it).

Then I got a message saying “we’ve taken care of it, have a good day” and I thought they fixed it.

I signed up for venmo a week later since a friend sent me money to split a restaurant bill. The original person’s $20 was still there. :what: I sent it back.

Venmo, you have made it very hard for me to recommend you. 1st world problems, though, I guess.

The app is pretty slick though. But I don’t know why its basic functions need an app instead of just using a website.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 24, 2018

sb hermit

I Dunno posted:

I had a dream the other night that someone broke into my car and ate all the food I had in there, and since they felt bad, to repay me they left like five gigantic bags of cocaine.

I can’t help but imagine that this ended with “so I snorted it and then I woke up and my nose was stuffy and my pillow was missing”

I Dunno posted:

Also Alexa is scary don't get it.

People are trying to make DIY equivalents that don’t talk to amazon or google (but the tech needs work):

https://mycroft.ai

Godspeed, nerds.

I like to talk with an AI for simple tasks, and it’s great for hands free driving. But I don’t want to accidentally order a thousand boxes of Tide Pods when I ask how high the surf will be.

Jaded Burnout

Aye, I only use them to do things which are otherwise buried in hard to navigate UIs. The number of taps and swipes it takes to set a timer is straight up frustrating compared to "20 minute timer". But I'm also paranoid about having an open mic, and I've heard second hand that it can lead to kids learning bad habits since Alexa doesn't require social pleasantries like "please" and "thank you".

sb hermit

Jaded Burnout posted:

Aye, I only use them to do things which are otherwise buried in hard to navigate UIs. The number of taps and swipes it takes to set a timer is straight up frustrating compared to "20 minute timer". But I'm also paranoid about having an open mic, and I've heard second hand that it can lead to kids learning bad habits since Alexa doesn't require social pleasantries like "please" and "thank you".

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/609944/apparently-people-say-thank-you-to-self-driving-pizza-delivery-vehicles/

Apparently, someone is surprised that people say “thank you” to autonomous cars. I’m not surprised at all. I agree with you that social pleasantries are a good habit... and I think it should be constantly reinforced.

I say “thank you” to Siri all the time. I don’t see why I should do otherwise.

Jaded Burnout

el dorito posted:

I say “thank you” to Siri all the time. I don’t see why I should do otherwise.

You're also not 5 years old. One more thing for parents to manage!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bad news, BYOB: Ursula K. Leguin crossed the veil last night.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/obituaries/ursula-k-le-guin-acclaimed-for-her-fantasy-fiction-is-dead-at-88.html

She was in the top of my writing pantheon, and an amazing researcher on Taoism and linguistics. Rest well, dreamer.

Twenty Four

Alexa, make a funny post.

Alexa, make a funny post!

Alexa make a funny post!!!

Hmm, welp, looks like the weight lays on our shoulders!

POOL IS CLOSED

Twenty Four posted:

Alexa, make a funny post.

Alexa, make a funny post!

Alexa make a funny post!!!

Hmm, welp, looks like the weight lays on our shoulders!

you didn't use the magic word

:colbert:

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Putty posted:

Wherres vanisher

vanishered again!

Thanks to HotSoapyBeard for the sig image!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

you didn't use the magic word

:colbert:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssse!