Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Side note: I love Devilman's hairpants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The amount of hair on bodies in Devilman is a blessing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like the reason I liked Crybaby so much is that whenever I try to get into an “Otaku” Anime I invariably meet a character whose role/motivations totally go over my head. I ask people “why is this cat witch girl so horny and annoying?” and they go “Oh that’s a Shoinjin (I made this word up), she’s the traditional horny cat witch it’s very Japanese.” and I just tank my interest immediately because I just doubt I’ll ever understand her role or why it matters.

Crybaby didn’t have that for me. Even while I didn’t understand the concept of Super-High Schooler, I understand the dudes character, his arc, his boyfriend, there was no mystery. Everyone in Crybaby shows up and does their job without anyone needing to fill in the gaps. That’s probably part of its success.

You're either an idiot, been talking to idiots or both

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
god i wish i was a Shoinjin (the traditional horny cat witch)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Is there one in Devilman and would it appear every loop :raise:

(joking aside, lmao at that post)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

You're either an idiot, been talking to idiots or both

Seems unfair to call a casual viewer an idiot because they're not familiar with cultural touchstones that are completely foreign to them.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Could have provided a more concrete example of a cultural touchstone that was hard to understand instead of something vague, made up, and dismissive

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/TheMachoPie/status/955594518035861504

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Compendium posted:

Could have provided a more concrete example of a cultural touchstone that was hard to understand instead of something vague, made up, and dismissive

Well it's a cart before the horse problem, isn't it? If he could provide a concrete example it wouldn't be impenetrable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I started reading Violence Jack and

that bit with Shingo and the tiger

where the tiger rushes past Shingo and he just nuts so hard it shoots out his loincloth

what the gently caress Go Nagai :psyduck:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
WHY IS THE TIGER'S TONGUE TURNING INTO A DONG

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
welp I just saw a woman getting tongue-hosed by a tiger

this is... this is one of the most completely bonkers things I have ever read in my entire life

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
apparently when Violence Jack gets angry a giant loving eagle made of light shoots out of his chest

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Seems unfair to call a casual viewer an idiot because they're not familiar with cultural touchstones that are completely foreign to them.

I'm not giving the benefit of the doubt to someone who accidentally posted 'ironic gamergater poo poo in the PS4 thread instead of GBS.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
OH MY GOD JACK JUST TELEPORTED USING THE EAGLE

e: HE JUST RESURRECTED THE TIGER, HOLY gently caress ZOMBIE TIGER

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Well it's a cart before the horse problem, isn't it? If he could provide a concrete example it wouldn't be impenetrable.
why is something impenetrable if it uses a cultural touchstone

you dont need to know the intricacies of japanese mythology and history to get that, say, naruto is a spy/assassin trainee in a world of spies and assassins and he has a fox demon sealed inside of him. thats all obvious from the context of the show, even if it's based in japanese mythology.

i can think of very, very few anime that are so completely rooted in japanese mythology or history as to be impenetrable to someone who isn't passingly familiar, and even those shows provide at least some context clues.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The impenetrable cultural touchstone of sees a boobie -> gets a nosebleed

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Endorph posted:

why is something impenetrable if it uses a cultural touchstone

you dont need to know the intricacies of japanese mythology and history to get that, say, naruto is a spy/assassin trainee in a world of spies and assassins and he has a fox demon sealed inside of him. thats all obvious from the context of the show, even if it's based in japanese mythology.

i can think of very, very few anime that are so completely rooted in japanese mythology or history as to be impenetrable to someone who isn't passingly familiar, and even those shows provide at least some context clues.

Providing context clues really is the key point though, isn't it? Even if you knew absolutely nothing about ninjutsu or never even heard of it, Naruto goes out of its way to establish the rules of its own world in a way anyone could pick up on.

When it comes to "very Japanese" stuff in anime, I think a lot of that comes down to genre conventions. Like, 'what's a tsundere and why would anyone want to be around one?' or 'why is every woman in this show making one loser the center of their lives?' A lot of that sort of stuff doesn't get explained and does require some meta knowledge, and even if you did get it that wouldn't necessarily make it any more appealing because it's all so niche.

There's also the infamous [translator's note] for references and jokes that only make sense to somebody familiar with Japanese culture and history, which usually only ever get filled in by fansubbers.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Compendium posted:

It's really hard to tell why there would be a horny titty cat lady in a show

what possible function could this serve

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DisDisDis posted:

It's really hard to tell why there would be a horny titty cat lady in a show

what possible function could this serve

and yet somehow, the cynic in me doesn't doubt this exists

Although it just makes me think they watched a hentai

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Providing context clues really is the key point though, isn't it? Even if you knew absolutely nothing about ninjutsu or never even heard of it, Naruto goes out of its way to establish the rules of its own world in a way anyone could pick up on.

When it comes to "very Japanese" stuff in anime, I think a lot of that comes down to genre conventions. Like, 'what's a tsundere and why would anyone want to be around one?' or 'why is every woman in this show making one loser the center of their lives?' A lot of that sort of stuff doesn't get explained and does require some meta knowledge, and even if you did get it that wouldn't necessarily make it any more appealing because it's all so niche.

There's also the infamous [translator's note] for references and jokes that only make sense to somebody familiar with Japanese culture and history, which usually only ever get filled in by fansubbers.

I mean, yes, but the point there wouldn't be 'this show has too much Japan in it,' it'd be that the show isn't providing context and grounding for its own rules and characters, which would be a flaw even if they weren't based in Japanese culture. So it reads like either he saw something Japanese and immediately unmoored himself from reality regardless of what the show was doing, or the show was poorly written and he for some reason hyperfocused on the fact that it had elements of Japanese culture in it instead of the fact that the characters weren't given reasonable motivations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
This isn’t really a concept that’s exclusive to ”highly japanese” works. Any work that fails to explain essential information based on the assumption you already know it based on the context of the work for example within the genre it belongs to is pretty flawed. It could be a point if you were talking about something within japanese culture as a larger concept not being explained, like historical facts anyone in japan could be assumed to know, if the work is primarily aimed for an audience within its country of production, but if you’re talking about tropes existing in this niche anime sphere the ”japaneseness” doesn’t excuse it. It’d just be bad fanfic level writing that can only sustain itself within a pre-existing media consuming community.

I honestly think the works that aim to subvert these insular tropes are partially popular in the west because they open up these conventions of writing within an insular context by turning for example character types that are accepted at face value because the audience is familiar with them to characters that follow these types for well established reasons.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah I think their point wasnt so much about japanese culture, but more about how creatively insular anime is. Drawing from the same pool of stock characters and scenes, generally being mired in the conventions without much critical thought into why these are the accepted conventions or how to effectively use them. Comfortable in the fact that if they have them theyll always have a audience.

Granted thats a problem in multiple types of media all over the world but thanks to the extensive codification and identification of these tropes, and the extent of how insular the (most vocal? Most obvious? Largest? I dont know for real) anime audience is, its much more apparent in anime.

Tl:dr Western media:Anime is as Rugged Everyman:Tsundere.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 24, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Compendium posted:

To be fair, the Monogatari series might not be the best newbie anime

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Maybe that’s even a part why older, formative works in japanese media being readapted for modern audiences tend to gain so much traction in the west. While containing even older influence they’re less esoteric in their narrative content because they’re from so far back in the stack of the medium building upon itself. I think it’s really cool and I’d love to see a new push in raising awareness for the roots of the medium

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DisDisDis posted:

To be fair, the Monogatari series might not be the best newbie anime

:downs:

Or more appropriately, slowpoke emote for me

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Compendium posted:

weirdly there's a horny cat witch in Soul Eater. the shoinjin... exists?!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

As a European, I just can't penetrate this wall of American customs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

[translator's note: it is extremely uncouth in America for a white person to really want to say the N-word]

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Terper posted:

As a European, I just can't penetrate this wall of American customs

instead of a horny cat lady they have a crazy cat lady

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Why is the guy on the right so mean, the dude in glasses hasn't done anything wrong?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

He's clearly a rowdy yanki

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never met a European that found Seinfeld funny so maybe he's onto something.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

apparently when Violence Jack gets angry a giant loving eagle made of light shoots out of his chest

I still don't know if he's Amon or Akira or some combination of them or some kind of copy soul or WHAT, WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON GO NAGAI?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Granted thats a problem in multiple types of media all over the world but thanks to the extensive codification and identification of these tropes, and the extent of how insular the (most vocal? Most obvious? Largest? I dont know for real) anime audience is, its much more apparent in anime.

It is the demand for anime that really heightens the disparity. Like, imagine some foreigner trying to be a fan of American right wing media, and trying to wrap their head around why there's such a euphoric reverence for the Founding Fathers. Japanese historical fiction at least tends to be irreverent of their historical figures, which is why they work as fiction since there isn't any pressure to be true to some originalist interpretation.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It's actually insanely easy to understand why right wing media in any country would fawn over people literally called The People Who Founded This Country I think

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

It's actually insanely easy to understand why right wing media in any country would fawn over people literally called The People Who Founded This Country I think

All American media then.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Touching Devilman's titty like that is a bit intimate. Do you reckon Mazinger is a big ol gay too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The impenetrable cultural touchstone of sees a boobie -> gets a nosebleed

I was very confused when Kanji got a nosebleed in persona 4 and the girls were freaking out

• Locked thread