Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Up to date with black hammer and enjoying it a lot. Initially it gave me weird deja vu

It should. Almost everything in it is a pastiche/tribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just finished Volume 2 of black hammer. For some reason, issue 12 was not included so I got that I'm comixology and read it. The only comic I haven't read in the series is the annual.

All I'm going to say is that I really, really, really, need to read the next issue now!

I could not put it down. I stayed up a late to finish it. Like, I had to stop reading halfway through volume 1 to entertain guests. By the time I got back to it, it took me to 1 a.m. to finish it because I couldn't put it down. This is a good series.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You should check out Sherlock Frankenstein and the Forces of Evil. It's a 4 part miniseries in the Black Hammer universe (the original one they are from). Issue 3 of 4 just released last week.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I should give Black Hammer another shot. I picked up issue one but didn't really feel the hook.

Has anyone read Unholy Grail? I've been sleeping on Aftershock Comics so far but this and Dark Ark look pretty cool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay so I had stormwatch on my list of stuff that had been recommended here at one point or another and I just want to double check it was good cuz the xxxtreme 90s image art and dialogue is uhhh making me wonder whether I had made a mistake

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To those reading Black Hammer, so, they're in the parazone right? I mean, Lucy saw a door in the sky, the same thing that the colonel saw when he first saw the parazone and it's been established that entering the parazone at the wrong time will rip you to shreds in the same way that blackhammer was ripped to shreds when he left the safety of the town. Maybe Madame dragonfly and the colonel working together because they're trapped in the parazone? For the life of me, I can't figure out why though.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

site posted:

Okay so I had stormwatch on my list of stuff that had been recommended here at one point or another and I just want to double check it was good cuz the xxxtreme 90s image art and dialogue is uhhh making me wonder whether I had made a mistake

Are you reading the Ellis run or earlier issues?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Even Ellis's Stormwatch was pretty much just a long prologue to The Authority.

Change or Die was a pretty cool arc, though. And of course the famous crossover with the WildCATS.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zachack posted:

Are you reading the Ellis run or earlier issues?

Like, the very beginning

GrandpaPants posted:

Even Ellis's Stormwatch was pretty much just a long prologue to The Authority.

Change or Die was a pretty cool arc, though. And of course the famous crossover with the WildCATS.

I had it on my list as a prequel for authority, do I only need to read Ellis' run for that?

site fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 29, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

site posted:

Like, the very beginning

I had it on my list as a prequel for authority, do I only need to read Ellis' run for that?

I wouldn't waste any time at all with Stormwatch until Ellis came aboard with... #37, I think, without looking it up. Before that, it was the most generic Image trash, and I say that as a Wildcats fan. Ellis will fill you in on anything you need to know, which isn't much.

I actually prefer Ellis' Stormwatch to much of his too-short Authority run, which I greatly prefer to every bit of Authority that came afterwards.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

site posted:

Yeah, Ellis introduces all the relevant Authority characters in his run.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I wouldn't waste any time at all with Stormwatch until Ellis came aboard with... #37, I think, without looking it up. Before that, it was the most generic Image trash, and I say that as a Wildcats fan. Ellis will fill you in on anything you need to know, which isn't much.

I actually prefer Ellis' Stormwatch to much of his too-short Authority run, which I greatly prefer to every bit of Authority that came afterwards.

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, Ellis introduces all the relevant Authority characters in his run.

Cool thanks guys. I had quit at issue 3 so I'm glad i can skip all that lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why does the second volume of Black Hammer not have issue 12 in it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's really a #0 for Sherlock Frankenstein. I'd be surprised if it didn't front up that collection.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 3, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bonehead #1 seems really just meandering. I like cyperpunk more and more, but it really just went nowhere and didn't have any point. That's my feelings at least.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gail Simone/Cat Staggs' crosswind is worth a read

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Robot Danger posted:

Has anyone read Unholy Grail? I've been sleeping on Aftershock Comics so far but this and Dark Ark look pretty cool.

it's alright but it really fizzles out. it's a much more straightforward arthur retelling than i expected - there is one twist but it really doesn't change much. early on it looked like it was going to take the myths in a very different direction but it never really did and by the second last issue as it became apparent there wasn't anything more i was left thinking 'That's IT?'

dark ark is better

also re stormwatch, i'm halfway through ellis' run and actually prefer it to the authority. feels more grounded and has more of the clandestine power structures thing which is more characteristic of the broader wildstorm universe than the authority did.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 5, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Read first two issues of Evolution, about humans mutating or something. Great art and story shows promise.

Big Rock Candy Mountain isn't drawn great but its good to me, only one issue left to go, supposedly?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I...actually appreciated how ennis brought the boys to its logical conclusion and having butcher go nuts and be the villain after his war against the seven ended

On the downside i wish la femme had actually been able to go try and live a life

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I finally got around to reading Swordquest. I had bought it because I like Sims on War Rocket Ajax, and I enjoyed their X-Men secret wars stuff, but for the past several months I haven't even looked at my new books.

It was pretty good. There's a limit to what you can do in a 5 issue mini, but they did a good job of moving the story along and making me care about the three main characters. I have no idea what I expected out of the series, but it probably wasn't this (though it wasn't not this either). I recommend picking it up if it ever gets collected in trade.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Brian Wood's doing a Robocop series.
https://www.newsarama.com/38211-robocop-upgraded-in-new-citizens-arrest-storyline-set-30-years-after-first-film.html

Covok
May 27, 2013

Just Kora: Turf War 2. Still solid. Having fun. Feels like the show.

Also gave the Further Adventures of Nick Wilson a try. It was okay. Nothing amazing, but I'll come back for issue 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lion forge's summit continues to seem like it might be good but it's still getting off the ground so if you're on a budget I'd hold off maybe another issue or two before checking it out

Image's Days of hate also has an interesting premise. Sort of like calexit. Opens with a quote from Steve bannon which made me lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/MajorSpoilers/status/954379648888172544

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Ice Cream Man was waaay better than I thought it'd be. And crazier.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I've never read the Black Series. But I do really want to read American sweetheart. I am disappoint that are costume is not the same color scheme as the cover, though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else reading Van Lente’s history of comics series?

I loved his first run last year, and Action Philosophers, and this one is good too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Double post but... just finished Rucka’s Dark Horse series gromna few years back: Veil. I picked it up from the local shop in the dollar bins. It probably wasn’t worth the 5$ I paid. A pretty pedestrian horror story about demons that tries to make a statement about women and sexual assault but which doesn’t really have enough writing to say anything about anything. I’m reading a lot of older books at the same time and one thing that they do well (when at their best) is provide context to actions. In 100 pages here Rucka just didn’t have enough to say to make me care about the characters. A rare misstep for him.

I liked Fejzula’s art though. It was appropriately horrorific.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So i haven't picked up a comic since Scalped and The Boys finished their run. Recently started looking around for good stuff to read and came across Aftershock Comics. I'm really glad i did. Animosity is great, American Monster is great,

Just started Babyteeth and the first issue actually hooked me pretty good. it's not often that happens I usually have to wait til issue 4 or 5 before I decide if i want to keep reading it but babyteeth won me over with the first issue.

I am a little worried about Animosity though. I'm a little afraid it's going to go into The Walking Dead territory of just continuing for the sake of continuing. Granted it actually has an end point the characters are gunning for and Sandor is clearly an old dog with an illness that's doomed to kill him so I'm hoping the creators aren't afraid to wrap it up when it comes time to. I normally wouldn't look twice at the spin off series but considering they have the same creative team I'm going to take the time to look into them.

I really like American Monster even though i have no idea what's going on so far. But then again I normally never know what's going on in Azzarello crime stuff. He seems to like starting a series once all the big moves have already been made and let you peice together what happened from the fallout of it all.

Black Eyed Kids is the only one that i've read that I haven't just fallen in love with. It's not bad but it's really not engrossing in any real way. i'm sticking with it so far but if it keeps up like it has I'll probably drop it soon.

As some one who doesn't really like the big superhero comics that seem to saturate the market I'm really glad to have found Aftershock comics. I haven't dipped my toe into all their titles but I'm for sure going to give them a shot.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ride The Gravitron posted:

As some one who doesn't really like the big superhero comics that seem to saturate the market I'm really glad to have found Aftershock comics. I haven't dipped my toe into all their titles but I'm for sure going to give them a shot.

World Reader and Eleanor and the Egret are both incredible. Highly recommended.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Anyone else reading Days of Hate?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I read the first two volumes of Kill or be Killed and I'm not really feeling anything special with this one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

frameset posted:

Anyone else reading Days of Hate?

First issue seemed interesting enough to check out 2

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

site posted:

First issue seemed interesting enough to check out 2

I actually haven't read it, I forgot to preorder at my comic shop, and now it's sold out everywhere. I ended up paying £6.50 on ebay for a copy, waiting on delivery now.

I've been looking forward to it for a while, ever since I finished Generation Gone.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Roth posted:

I read the first two volumes of Kill or be Killed and I'm not really feeling anything special with this one.

I like it. It actually reminds me more of Mr. Robot than anything.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I love Zdarsky’s background art. Honey Bunches of Goatse!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Evan Dorkin is going through a bit of a rough time:

https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/956635319046205440

https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/956636766638927884

https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/956638025949302785

https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/956638774884216840

https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/956639508124102657

https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/956640292320481281

https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/956641584749170693

https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/956645443819266050

Lemme tell you that if you like spooky mysteries with a great twist, you'll love Beasts of Burden, and I highly recommend you buy and read it ASAP. It also helps a great creator out!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That sucks. I hope he made money off the Bill and Ted Boom! collection I got last year.
He'd totally suit a Young Animal project or something. Hopefully Gerard Way or Shelly Bond are listening.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Lemme tell you that if you like spooky mysteries with a great twist, you'll love Beasts of Burden, and I highly recommend you buy and read it ASAP. It also helps a great creator out!

Can confirm Beast of Burden is really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. After taking all that Dark Horse is worth (Fox properties, Conan) Disney is throwing them a bone.

http://www.newsweek.com/disney-frozen-dark-horse-comic-august-792796

I wonder if that's IDW out of the Disney Comics game.

(we need a licensed comics thread)