Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Anyone know if the switch version will come with all current DLC or will I need to buy them separately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Haruharuharuko posted:

Anyone know if the switch version will come with all current DLC or will I need to buy them separately?

From what I've seen in the Switch thread, the DLC is separate.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

From what I've seen in the Switch thread, the DLC is separate.

That's a bummer.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Apparently the Ancestral version is available through the eShop on the console only at the moment. So seems like you don't have to buy all the DLC separately.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Rhaegar posted:

Apparently the Ancestral version is available through the eShop on the console only at the moment. So seems like you don't have to buy all the DLC separately.

It's $10 extra for the Ancestral Version, which is probably a good idea as far as I know.

I hosed up and bought base. Before even coming to this thread. :argh:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I bought the ancestral. It pretty much means you get the shieldbreaker dlc for free, which is the one I wanted. Plus getting a new class and districts seem cool. They were clever in keeping the super hard content optional. I may never use it, but at least I know it's there.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm playing the Switch version and it's a very good game despite there being a lot of things I don't understand, particularly specific stat terms (though I don't think that matters quite so much). But there are a couple of basic stupid questions that I can't seem to figure out.

1. Can you use an item in-battle? Or are they for out of battle consumption only? Say a hero gets a Bleed on them can I use a bandage in battle and how, can another hero heal someone else with an item?

2. So I know about retreating. My question is do you have to retreat to get some treasure? If your team completely wipes, do you get what you collected till then or nothing at all?

3. Do buffs/debuffs stack? I get the impression they do but I'm not sure. Say I cast Blight on the same enemy twice, the damage they'll take from that blight is then doubled right? I so often feel that Plague Doctors aren't really pulling their weight.

4. What good are antiquarians? I ran into a dungeon once with one, and boy if I can't figure out the PD, I can sure say that this dude here is good for nothing.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I'm playing the Switch version and it's a very good game despite there being a lot of things I don't understand, particularly specific stat terms (though I don't think that matters quite so much). But there are a couple of basic stupid questions that I can't seem to figure out.

1. Can you use an item in-battle? Or are they for out of battle consumption only? Say a hero gets a Bleed on them can I use a bandage in battle and how, can another hero heal someone else with an item?

2. So I know about retreating. My question is do you have to retreat to get some treasure? If your team completely wipes, do you get what you collected till then or nothing at all?

3. Do buffs/debuffs stack? I get the impression they do but I'm not sure. Say I cast Blight on the same enemy twice, the damage they'll take from that blight is then doubled right? I so often feel that Plague Doctors aren't really pulling their weight.

4. What good are antiquarians? I ran into a dungeon once with one, and boy if I can't figure out the PD, I can sure say that this dude here is good for nothing.

1) Yes you can use items in-battle, although I don't think a hero can use an item on another hero.

2) If you wipe, you don't get any treasure. As long as one person makes it back to the Hamlet, you get all the treasure you've acquired from your mission.

3) Buffs/Debuffs do stack, which includes Blight/Bleed. PD's lack a bit of punch, but they pull their weight in the Ruins/Cove, also they're possibly worth taking in Medium/Long missions in the Warrens (they can cure diseases at camp).

4) Antiquarians are meant to be poo poo. That's offset by them allowing you to carry more treasure. ALWAYS HAVE ANTIQUARIANS SEARCH CURIOS. When they search a curio, they find a unique treasure every time.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 21, 2018

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Equip stunning trinkets on the Plague Doctor and make heavy use of her stuns. With one or two trinkets she can stun the back row monsters multiple times, severely reducing the damage and stress you take over the course of a dungeon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I always focus far too much on individual characters and never enough on the town itself.

Upgrade THAT, since that's what's really going to lead you to the end.

That being said, I still suck at this game and haven't gotten anywhere. Still though, I believe that's the way to victory.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's a hard hump to get over but it's a huge relief when I realized these dudes are all just expendable chumps. It's pretty cool in fact.

The only one I feel like hanging onto is Dismas who has 4 positives quirks and is only a gambler. The rest can all go to hell (and probably will!).

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Is there some way around epic quests in the Switch version, or are those just nigh-impossible unless they release a fix? I have to restart from scratch every time I return to the courtyard. I googled some to check if this really is how it's supposed to work, and apparently not.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I felt like Radiant was going too fast for me so I made another save on Darkest. After killing Pig Prince, I ran into that "place torch if you dare" altar and though that what the hell, I'm on my boss-killing mark-team, I'll do it. Never tried it before. Managed to kill the thing with no casualties, though my team took some heavy damage. Probably helped that it was level 1 dungeon and my team was mostly level 2. Got an Ancestor's Map out of it!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Trogdos! posted:

I felt like Radiant was going too fast for me so I made another save on Darkest. After killing Pig Prince, I ran into that "place torch if you dare" altar and though that what the hell, I'm on my boss-killing mark-team, I'll do it. Never tried it before. Managed to kill the thing with no casualties, though my team took some heavy damage. Probably helped that it was level 1 dungeon and my team was mostly level 2. Got an Ancestor's Map out of it!

Early levels are definitely the time to do that particular encounter and get the good trinkets from it. On Champion (level 5+) it becomes absolutely monstrous.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
plague doctor blights might seem like something you want to apply early in a battle, to maximize damage. not so! stuns are their bread and butter. use blights to finish off enemies (dots ding enemies before they take their action; also, they cause them to leave no corpse if its the killing damage which can be really useful sometimes)

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, stun is an extraordinarily powerful effect in terms of action economy. Blinding gas is probably the best ability for it in the game too because it hits guys in rows 3 and 4 simultaneously, who are normally the main stress dealers. It’s better never having to heal in the first place, and stun helps you to do that.

Shout out to the Bounty Hunter as a stunner as well though - I feel like he’s a bit unappreciated in that regard.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I played for like 12 hours on PC, and now I'm trying to 'be good' at the game on the Switch.

When should I invest money into fixing a character's illnesses/afflictions? I have a level 2 knight guy that is great, but he just got a lovely mental disorder that I want to get rid of. Is he worth the coins?

he has my cousin's name... I'd feel bad letting him go.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

zfleeman posted:

Apparently, this is what ends up killing (heh) otherwise good runs; while neat to do, not naming your characters after people you know helps the player treat them accordingly, which is 'like meatbags to throw at the ever-spinning Eldritch horror fan blades'.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Apparently, this is what ends up killing (heh) otherwise good runs; while neat to do, not naming your characters after people you know helps the player treat them accordingly, which is 'like meatbags to throw at the ever-spinning Eldritch horror fan blades'.

OTOH, do name them after people you know and just don't spend all your gold curing their terrible quirks. There's no real way to lose in Darkest Dungeon so you don't really have to optimize your play style.

zfleeman posted:

Level 2 ain't great and most negative traits aren't that bad, but you can get a town event which causes medical ward treatments to be free which'll let you fix him up if you don't have any better choices for the free treatment.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

zfleeman posted:

I played for like 12 hours on PC, and now I'm trying to 'be good' at the game on the Switch.

When should I invest money into fixing a character's illnesses/afflictions? I have a level 2 knight guy that is great, but he just got a lovely mental disorder that I want to get rid of. Is he worth the coins?

What will you do to preserve a beloved hero?

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/2P9yyYf.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/euhfodX.mp4

https://imgur.com/z0uPMe6 (mildly :nws:)

Despite the content, the Omen Seeker has been a lot of fun to work on so far.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
hopefully you do manage to include the 'not infested with spreading cancerous corruption in her chest' version because woo boy.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Stallion Cabana posted:

hopefully you do manage to include the 'not infested with spreading cancerous corruption in her chest' version because woo boy.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

God, I wish.

Just kidding, it's this guy next:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Just kidding, it's this guy next:

good

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Mate, that art is fantastic but you have got to do something about those titties.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

jfc what a shame

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

zfleeman posted:

Having a revolving door for heroes is cool and good, and most negative quirks are survivable. That said, in my latest run I've been trying to lock in as many good perks as I can as early as possible, and removing 1 negative quirk as I do so, before they lock in and become expensive to remove. It works pretty well, although 8k gold per session for a level 1 hero hurts when doing apprentice missions.

A team of +spd, +dmg + acc characters helps a lot with tougher fights.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I bought this Sunday on Switch and I'm loving it so far. Killed a Necromancer then took all my best dudes to fight a Sonorous Prophet and got them completely wiped out (definitely should have given up when I realized half my attacks in that setup couldn't reach him)

Also how much of an idiot am I for selling a couple very rare trinkets? This is before I knew what I was doing at ALL, like probably week 4 or 5 or something. An Aria Box and then something (I forget what) that dropped off The Collector.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
It's just a minor misplay to sell those trinkets. You'll get the Collector trinket back sooner or later, and while they all have their uses, Junia's Head is the only one that you'll really miss in the meantime. The Aria Box is nice to have in the early game, but most players won't see it early on (or possibly at all) and still do just fine. By the time you get to Champion dungeons, it's hard to justify using a trinket slot to do nothing but reduce stress unless you're doing a dark run, and the Dark Crown (an uncommon trinket) is strictly better than the Aria Box for those.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

now that I have this on Switch I'm willing to do modding for this on the PC but there's 0 chance I'd add any of those tittymaidens. gently caress's sake it would be fine if whoever did this just unfucked their brain

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Just got Junia's Head in my first secret room :smug: that's a lot of stress though

edit: also , just realized I can change my equipped skills while I'm in the dungeon, thought I could only do so at base for some reason. Yikes that could have been helpful

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 24, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Until you get all the heads, I think it's worth bringing a skelington key into most missions on the off-chance you uncover the secret rooms, since having those beefy bonuses makes things way easier. Yeah, it is a lot of stress on the heads, but it's also a lot of benefits. Junia's Head is twice as good as the Chiturgenous Charm, and you can still equip the ChitCha for a total 45% better healing, which makes Vestal group-heals amazing and single-target heals nuclear. 20% stress isn't that big, in the long run.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's also helpful to know that short dungeons never have secret rooms in them, long dungeons always do, and mediums are 50/50 odds. Secret rooms are also only detected by "critical scouts", i.e. scout pings that reveal two rooms away instead of only one. Whenever you successfully scout, critical scouts happen half the time. If the purpose of your dungeon run is finding money, it's a very good idea to go to at least medium dungeons, and try to stack as high a scouting bonus as you can. All +scouting will stack, so bringing two different characters with, say, Ruins Scrounger, using a +scouting camping buff, and bringing +scouting trinkets.

Scouting is super super useful, since if you scout a fight in advance you can't be surprised when starting it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Scouting is great and it is why I think the Ancestor's Map is non-negotiable on all but very niche maps: ie, Crimson Court, the Dungeon.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I want to get Darkest Dungeon for the Switch so bad but I can't abide the thought of not being able to play those grotesquely deformed tittymods

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I kind of wish that all of the equipped trinkets would go back into the inventory after a mission. If one of my guys is taking a break that week, I don’t want to forget that he has a trinket that would be good for the next expedition that doesn’t involve him.

or maybe that resolves itself as I find more trinkets and there are plenty to go around

edit: just learned that on the Switch, you can unequip all trinkets from everybody by holding down "Y" in the trinkets screen.

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 24, 2018

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Abide it. The Dude abides. You'll be much happier if you abide.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Soothing Vapors posted:

I want to get Darkest Dungeon for the Switch so bad but I can't abide the thought of not being able to play those grotesquely deformed tittymods

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
artists like boobs a lot

such are mods