Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Matsuri posted:

I'm still considering putting my Urza lands to use. Really torn between Dinrova or Murasa Tron, because while it seems like Dinrova is the more popular version right now (or some sort of WUBRG version of it), doesn't that also mean it's probably way more commonly hated out with land destruction and graveyard hate cards? Murasa Tron seems a little less dependent on that and more interested in just throwing down fat boys to swing with.

Do not ever sideboard in graveyard hate against Flicker decks. At best you're trading for a single Mnemonic Wall activation. That's your best case scenario! Your next-to-worst case scenario is you pay 1 mana and discard a card and that's it. Your worst case scenario is you pay 1 mana and discard a card, and then keep holding 1 mana up on multiple turns to try to stop their recursion. Sometimes you pay 2 mana and draw a card while loving up your own graveyard interactions, which I've had many opponents on MTGO do. Just remove your graveyard hate from your sideboards, it isn't good enough against enough matchups to be worth bothering with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Do not ever sideboard in graveyard hate against Flicker decks. At best you're trading for a single Mnemonic Wall activation. That's your best case scenario! Your next-to-worst case scenario is you pay 1 mana and discard a card and that's it. Your worst case scenario is you pay 1 mana and discard a card, and then keep holding 1 mana up on multiple turns to try to stop their recursion. Sometimes you pay 2 mana and draw a card while loving up your own graveyard interactions, which I've had many opponents on MTGO do. Just remove your graveyard hate from your sideboards, it isn't good enough against enough matchups to be worth bothering with.

Hm. So what's the best way to deal with flicker-based Tron decks?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Matsuri posted:

Go under them or delay them from achieving Tron and win before they can fight through. You cannot go over the top of Tron decks, trust me I've tried.

e: you could also counter every blue spell they cast and win that way pretty easily

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Go under them or delay them from achieving Tron and win before they can fight through. You cannot go over the top of Tron decks, trust me I've tried.

e: you could also counter every blue spell they cast and win that way pretty easily

I guess that tells me which type of Tron deck I should build, however indirectly.

My Boros Monarch deck runs 2 Pyroblast. Maybe it wouldn't kill me to throw in an extra or go up to a full playset, or maybe some Molten Rain.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Matsuri posted:

I guess that tells me which type of Tron deck I should build, however indirectly.

My Boros Monarch deck runs 2 Pyroblast. Maybe it wouldn't kill me to throw in an extra or go up to a full playset, or maybe some Molten Rain.

Generally Pyroblast is the best card in your deck whenever you side it in, and the Boros Monarch decks really do need Pyroblasts to prevent Mulldrifters from just owning them. It's insanely brutal to be playing my Familiars deck against the Monarch deck, resolve a Mulldrifter and draw two, they try to Bolt it, I flicker the Drifter and an Oracle draw 3, and then threaten to become the Monarch!

I really don't want to be playing a midrange deck that loses to Tron and still doesn't beat all the other grindy decks. It just feels like a bad position to be in.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Matsuri posted:

Reality acid.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Why isn't Acid Trip a deck in the meta right now, anyway? It seems legit. Too easily bowled over by aggro strats?

Hellsau posted:

Generally Pyroblast is the best card in your deck whenever you side it in, and the Boros Monarch decks really do need Pyroblasts to prevent Mulldrifters from just owning them. It's insanely brutal to be playing my Familiars deck against the Monarch deck, resolve a Mulldrifter and draw two, they try to Bolt it, I flicker the Drifter and an Oracle draw 3, and then threaten to become the Monarch!

I really don't want to be playing a midrange deck that loses to Tron and still doesn't beat all the other grindy decks. It just feels like a bad position to be in.

I'd maindeck it if it wasn't garbage against anything that isn't blue. And I kind of am considering sideboarding in stuff like Rally the Peasants and Kuldotha Rebirth to switch it up from midrange to aggro.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 24, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Matsuri posted:

Why isn't Acid Trip a deck in the meta right now, anyway? It seems legit. Too easily bowled over by aggro strats?

It's unimaginably slow, extremely easy to disrupt, and doesn't actually do anything while also having a bunch of cards that are really bad if you don't have a Reality Acid in play.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

It's unimaginably slow, extremely easy to disrupt, and doesn't actually do anything while also having a bunch of cards that are really bad if you don't have a Reality Acid in play.

This may all be true but it’s also cool and the most fun

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Matsuri posted:

Yeah Acid Trip can't actually do anything against Elves and Reality Acid gets owned hardcore by Ghostly Flicker on an Urza's land, plus there's a whole bunch of Pyroblasts going around. Presumably it has an atrocious post-board matchup against the UR Delver deck as well.

Matsuri posted:

I'd maindeck it if it wasn't garbage against anything that isn't blue. And I kind of am considering sideboarding in stuff like Rally the Peasants and Kuldotha Rebirth to switch it up from midrange to aggro.

I didn't mean to suggest you maindeck Pyroblast because that's going very deep indeed. I think if you have access to red mana your sideboard should start with 4x Pyroblast and if you have access to blue mana you should start with 4 Hydroblast and trim down from there. The Blasts are simply so good against the decks you'd side them in, and they're good against so many different decks, that they make for premium sideboard slots.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

I didn't mean to suggest you maindeck Pyroblast because that's going very deep indeed. I think if you have access to red mana your sideboard should start with 4x Pyroblast and if you have access to blue mana you should start with 4 Hydroblast and trim down from there. The Blasts are simply so good against the decks you'd side them in, and they're good against so many different decks, that they make for premium sideboard slots.

Oh no, I wouldn't do that. It's a completely dead card against decks with no blue. I meant I would mainboard it if I could since it's a drat good card, but only against specific (however popular) cards and decks.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Is the trick to beating tron in pauper just to play as aggressive a deck as possible? Played in a small paper pauper event the other day and the tron decks stomped all over everything else. Finals was two slightly different versions of tron engaged in what appeared to be the dullest game of magic ever seen by man.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Yea as a U/B flicker player i'm extremely happy when they play relic and not an actual threat. I'm even more happy when they refuse to crack it while I cast mulldrifters and sea gate oracles.

I got a trophy running bojuka bog in the sideboard, I think it's a lot better since you're trading out an untapped land instead of a good spell. Tons of decks use their graveyard for something in the current meta. Especially with bouncelands or flicker effects.

Wurzag posted:

Is the trick to beating tron in pauper just to play as aggressive a deck as possible? Played in a small paper pauper event the other day and the tron decks stomped all over everything else. Finals was two slightly different versions of tron engaged in what appeared to be the dullest game of magic ever seen by man.

That's the best way, they can't do much on early turns so it's easy to run them over with green creatures or a giant atog.

Control decks struggle more, it's difficult to both attack their life total and answer every business spell they cast. They don't topdeck well so generally you're looking to just empty their hand. The older tron builds with Ulamog's Crusher and Rolling Thunders were a little vulnerable to 1-for-1 answers, since they didn't run a ton of threats.The new flicker-heavy variants are a little fragile if you can turn off their graveyard, but like Hellsau said relic does not actually turn off their graveyard.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Are people seeing traction locally for Pauper events? I know it has been around for a long time, but I'm interested in progression since adding it to larger weekend events. I remember holding a 50 person Tiny Leader event a few years ago and that format died pretty fast. Not that Pauper and Tiny Leaders are similar in anyway, but curious if it can remain popular enough where an average LGS is holding weekly events a year or two from now, similar to Standard or Modern.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Speaking purely from my own experience there definitely seems to be an appetite for the format here. Like other eternal formats however the enthusiasm is hamstrung by reluctance on the part of wotc to reprint key cards.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Card Kingdom/Mox Boarding House Seattle has their monthly-ish Rags to Riches paper pauper events that pay out in modern/legacy staples. These events usually sell out the tournament room of 64 people.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My LGS is on a Commander/Modern/Pauper rotation for FNM, I haven't mustered up the energy to show up for Pauper but it's been on their schedule since I moved here almost three years ago so they must have people showing up.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Vital Signs posted:

Are people seeing traction locally for Pauper events? I know it has been around for a long time, but I'm interested in progression since adding it to larger weekend events. I remember holding a 50 person Tiny Leader event a few years ago and that format died pretty fast. Not that Pauper and Tiny Leaders are similar in anyway, but curious if it can remain popular enough where an average LGS is holding weekly events a year or two from now, similar to Standard or Modern.

GP Indy apparently had over 200 players.

Meanwhile my LGS is trying to have some weekly Pauper events but the only person who has given it a "Going" on Facebook is me. :smith:

Wurzag posted:

Speaking purely from my own experience there definitely seems to be an appetite for the format here. Like other eternal formats however the enthusiasm is hamstrung by reluctance on the part of wotc to reprint key cards.

tbh I'd love a new Eternal Masters set. I wasn't crazy about it the first time it came around because I played Modern exclusively, so I kinda turned my nose up at it. Now that my preferred formats are Commander and Pauper my feelings are more in line with "no wait come back! more of this!"

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Matsuri posted:

GP Indy apparently had over 200 players.

Meanwhile my LGS is trying to have some weekly Pauper events but the only person who has given it a "Going" on Facebook is me. :smith:

one of my FLGS started running pauper. Week one we had 16 people, week 2 we had 12 people, week 3 we had 2 people (and I brought 5 decks to lend out :/)

Pauper is cool and fun and I have many decks made for it in paper, here they are in order of style:

- U/W Acid Trip
- Mono B control
- Izzet Blitz
- Goblins
- Elves
- Bogles

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Mezzanon posted:

one of my FLGS started running pauper. Week one we had 16 people, week 2 we had 12 people, week 3 we had 2 people (and I brought 5 decks to lend out :/)

Pauper is cool and fun and I have many decks made for it in paper, here they are in order of style:

- U/W Acid Trip
- Mono B control
- Izzet Blitz
- Goblins
- Elves
- Bogles

Nice spread. I have:

Mono U Delver
Boros Monarch/Kuldotha Boros
GW Slivers
Izzet Blitz (kind of outdated though)
Midnight Gond (I don't really use it though; it was more a deck I built just because I love Soul Sisters in Modern and the idea of beating people down with infinite elves or an army of shrooms pleased me)
GB Dredge/Delve

And I could slap together a Tron and/or Affinity deck with little effort too, since the pieces I'm missing aren't too expensive. That Mono W Heroic deck that's been going around looks pretty spiffy too.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 24, 2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Our local flgs pauper scene got destroyed. One friend of the owner asked that it be moved back from 6pm to start at 7:30 on a Wednesday so his other friend could show up. The store closes at 9. The matches became frantic races against a 30 minute clock, the attitude went from relaxed to rush rush rush. This put off a lot of newer players who were excited about a cheap format who stopped coming because they didn't want to be pressured.

For bonus points, the friend never materialized

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

My lgs (RIW Hobbies) has had weekly pauper events that fire every week. They recently had a 1k that evolved into a 2k since a gently caress load of people showed up. It just keeps gaining popularity.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

My lgs (RIW Hobbies) has had weekly pauper events that fire every week. They recently had a 1k that evolved into a 2k since a gently caress load of people showed up. It just keeps gaining popularity.
Yeah, not sure if I posted this or not previously... But that store is kinda skewed because Jon invests a decent amount of time promoting events and advertising. RIW/Pam is also a mainstay in the Michigan MTG community, so that helps too. Hopefully they can continue the success and some of their sponsored pros take an interest and write about it.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Wurzag posted:

Inside Out combo utterly and completely annihalates Tron. If you dont push the combo through early then you just gigadrowse their colored sources during the late game

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I've never given Inside Out a look. Now that I have, it looks neat. Is it worth building, or is it just a worse Izzet Blitz? Don't really wanna drop $20 on a playset of Circular Logic otherwise.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Matsuri posted:

I've never given Inside Out a look. Now that I have, it looks neat. Is it worth building, or is it just a worse Izzet Blitz? Don't really wanna drop $20 on a playset of Circular Logic otherwise.
It's been doing really well recently. Being immune to almost all damage based removal and only having to dedicate 2 slots to the actual combo makes it a fair bit more resilient imo. It has the same meta share as stompy on mtgg right now, although Im not sure whether that's tells more about stompy than it does about inside out.

It is kind of unfortunate how it's affected by pretty much all the recent buyouts. I ordered the deck a while back and my gushes and circular logics got conveniently "lost" in the mail

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Matsuri posted:

Do you enjoy digging and digging and digging until you find a Tireless Tribe, and if you miss you do literally nothing?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

Do you enjoy digging and digging and digging until you find a Tireless Tribe, and if you miss you do literally nothing?

Yes of course I like that.

Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007
My LGS started a weekly Sunday pauper event. They have decks to rent, are gearing it towards new players, and the proceeds go to a local charity. I made it there last Sunday and there were 16 people. Hoping to go this Sunday as well.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like the dumb price spikes have died down. Oubliette's back to being like, $15-20ish, and while I'm a little pissed that the 2 Battle Screeches I ordered 2 weeks ago were like $6 a piece (and arrived way late), I just snapped up an entire additional playset for around $8. Nice.

So I've been reading up more on Dinrova/WUBRG flicker Tron, and I'm kind of confused. Are the only wincons in the deck Rolling Thunder and chip damage from Mulldrifters and Dinrova Horror after flickering them both a ton of times so you draw a ton of cards and wipe their board clean? I don't really understand. Is it really that easy to efficiently stock up enough mana to kill in one shot with Rolling Thunder?

Framboise fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 25, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rolling Thunder is such a lovely and unnecessary win condition, try not to run it if you can resist the urge to blast people. When you're able to kill all your opponent's threats and lock the game up, winning the game with 2/2 Flying Divinations and 4/4 Recoils is easy enough. Also if you have Wall+Dinrova+Flicker your opponent has no hand and no permanents so it really is acedemic how you actually plan to finish the game.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Rolling Thunder is such a lovely and unnecessary win condition, try not to run it if you can resist the urge to blast people. When you're able to kill all your opponent's threats and lock the game up, winning the game with 2/2 Flying Divinations and 4/4 Recoils is easy enough. Also if you have Wall+Dinrova+Flicker your opponent has no hand and no permanents so it really is acedemic how you actually plan to finish the game.

So overall, the main gameplan for the deck is:
> assemble Tron
> draw/tutor up Ghostly Flicker and Mnemonic Wall(s)
> control board until you get a Mulldrifter or Dinrova Horror
> flicker Mulldrifter until you get Dinrova Horror and chip away at opponent's life and/or flicker Dinrova to eat away at all of their resources so they can't do anything ever again?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Matsuri posted:

So overall, the main gameplan for the deck is:
> assemble Tron
> draw/tutor up Ghostly Flicker and Mnemonic Wall(s)
> control board until you get a Mulldrifter or Dinrova Horror
> flicker Mulldrifter until you get Dinrova Horror and chip away at opponent's life and/or flicker Dinrova to eat away at all of their resources so they can't do anything ever again?

Wall is just a value creature, and Flicker is mostly an end-game plan. Your main gameplan is obtaining a large mana advantage through Tron and playing lots of Mulldrifters and Sea Gate Oracles while countering whatever is too threatening.

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008
I'm going to play in the Rags to Riches tournament in about a week, and god help me I'm going to play MBC. I expect there to be a smattering of Tron and some Delver, but I also expect people to be on the new Mono-W Heroic list. How should I tailor my removal suite? Edict effects and sweepers (I have two Pestilence and two Crypt Rats main right now) seem strong, but I think some spot removal (Victim of Night, Disfigure, Dead Weight, Oubliette) might be a good idea?

Also, not entirely sure what my sideboard plan should be. 4 Duress, a few Nihil Spellbombs, and some number of Choking Sands seems like a good idea, along with Shrivel, but I'd also like to find room for more Thorn of the Black Roses.

For reference, here's my current, untuned list:

pre:
18 Swamp
4 Barren Moor
1 Bojuka Bog

3 Cuombajj Witches
4 Phyrexian Rager
4 Chittering Rats
2 Crypt Rats
2 Thorn of the Black Rose
4 Grey Merchant of Asphodel
2 Gurmag Angler

2 Disfigure
2 Dead Weight
4 Sign in Blood
3 Chainer's Edict
1 Oubliette
2 Tendrils of Corruption
2 Pestilence

Sideboard:
4 Duress
3 Nihil Spellbomb
3 Shirvel
3 Choking Sands
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Oubliette

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

trillocity posted:

I'm going to play in the Rags to Riches tournament in about a week, and god help me I'm going to play MBC. I expect there to be a smattering of Tron and some Delver, but I also expect people to be on the new Mono-W Heroic list. How should I tailor my removal suite? Edict effects and sweepers (I have two Pestilence and two Crypt Rats main right now) seem strong, but I think some spot removal (Victim of Night, Disfigure, Dead Weight, Oubliette) might be a good idea?

Also, not entirely sure what my sideboard plan should be. 4 Duress, a few Nihil Spellbombs, and some number of Choking Sands seems like a good idea, along with Shrivel, but I'd also like to find room for more Thorn of the Black Roses.
[/pre]

If you wanted more room in the sideboard you could move a duress or two into the main deck? It's live against everything in the format, even the aggro decks. I like Thorn of The Black Rose in the sideboard, it's the only card that makes blue control matchups winnable.

Nihil Spellbomb seems cuttable, it's not good for all the reasons that Hellsau shat on Relic. That card can't possible make tron matchups favorable for you. Run four Choking Sands and hope for the best imo.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Nihil Spellbomb is MUCH better than Relic, because it doesn't trick you into playing badly. Relic has a tap ability, so people will think, "I'm controlling their graveyard!" while dying horribly to a bunch of 1/3s and 2/2s and will never ever pop the Relic. Nihil Spellbomb doesn't have that problem - if you're missing your second land drop you're going to crack the drat Spellbomb and draw your card, but I've had multiple people miss their second or third land drops, not do anything and just keep the Relic in play! Spellbomb also doesn't cost a mana to actually do anything against Flicker so you're less likely to blow multiple mana in a game keeping your graveyard removal active.

If you're a good player yeah don't bother with graveyard hate.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
I just turn 2ed someone with Inside Out for the first time. They even had played one of the tap lands that gain life so it was exacties. Felt kinda bad, but highly recommend the deck.

e; then next match did it both games o_O Only play 2 plains, so that is a bizarre string of luck.

That Which Squeaks fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 26, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I might build it for funsies now that Circular Logic is sub-$1 again. Don't really feel like ripping apart my Delver deck for the cantrips and Gushes though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Is Guardian of the Guildpact still good enough to be maindeckable in Boros? I'm looking at my old pauper decks online and trying to get my friends to build some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

Is Guardian of the Guildpact still good enough to be maindeckable in Boros? I'm looking at my old pauper decks online and trying to get my friends to build some.

I see a handful of decks run it on decklists. Not sure how I feel about it personally. Looking at the meta, I don't see TOO many multicolored/colorless creatures and spells. Maybe it's good?

EDIT: Looking at the decklists in the majority of the meta, I only see 3 multicolored creatures that it can't be protected from: Burning Tree Emissary, Slippery Bogle, and Nivix Cyclops. And for colorless... mostly Frogmite and Myr Enforcer, I think. Ulamog's Crusher, too.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 27, 2018