Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I know, but drat they were slick and being middle aged ladies talking about their kids made them seem less shady. I can see how people might fall for it if they're slightly less willing to lolnope off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

CG might not be fluent in english but that doesn't stop her from having quite a way with words
It's like talking to two different people when voice chat or face to face, compared to word chat. Her speaking and listening are great, and her vocabulary is probably the biggest out of the Mainlanders I have known because she still studies English years after she finished university. She likes to use some archaic English word flow as well, because she studies a lot of old English translations of Buddhist and Hindu books."Just see how degraded he is! He is so greedy he let his family to ruin!"
Her writing is pretty basic because nobody has time for fancy words when chatting on the phone, or sitting at her computer in her office. Her typing app on her phone also doesn't have English autocomplete, meaning she has to remember all the proper spelling and go back and fix words spelled wrong. This makes her a lazy typist, and she uses shorter sentences and less punctuation when possible. I get frustrated trying to use her phone to put stuff into Taobao, so I don't know how she can write all day in English on it.

WarpedNaba posted:

... become soft like the end of the world?

Never thought nuclear Armageddon would be comfy.
Turned into jello would make one soft.

EDIT:

My favorite thing about CG's English is her metaphors and weird wording when writing. She tries to use Chinese-isms translated into English, or stuff she made up. Like the above with the "soft like the end of the world," she always throws those out. Just now she wrote "now he is still spending money like ashes." I don't know what that means. I feel like these would be fun to collect into a list.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 24, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The term for those is calques, isn't it? Literal translations of idioms from one language to another.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bajaj posted:

"now he is still spending money like ashes." I don't know what that means. I feel like these would be fun to collect into a list.

He is spending money like he is dying/burning money. Ashes is generally a negative so it implies an increase in a spending or in this case wastefulness. This is conjecture of course as it is vague enough to twist to whatever you want depending how much importance if any you assign to each word.

A collection of these would be pretty cool. Just post them as you get them as I am sure you have a near limitless supply everyday.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bajaj posted:

Chaoshan Girl is having her monthly, and was raging today on China's love of rice. She quit rice after her time in India, and started eating lentils instead, along with imported buckwheat Japanese/Korean soba to replace those lovely Chinese white noodles. She feels vastly better.

What about potatoes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oohhboy posted:

A collection of these would be pretty cool. Just post them as you get them as I am sure you have a near limitless supply everyday.

I got ashes immediately. In Nigeria to chop is to eat, and chop money is to spend conspicuously or to waste it. DJ Chop Money is big.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

coolusername posted:

I nearly got shanghai'd in Shanghai. Two middle aged ladies approached me, they were great at English, very friendly, knew a little about my country. My alarm bells started ringing when they discussed how there just happened to be a sale at this woonderful tea shop nearby. I kept trying to politely shake them off because I'm cheap but they were so persistent and distracted me off my road into some alleyways, and as we walked I realised they were waaay too comfortable with English - getting people to speak English is like pullibg teeth even when they clearly understand me.

So we got to the storefront, it was a tiny alleyway door, my alarms hit "How bout that mistake over in Hawai'i level." I said "Bye!" and walked off while they protested. I felt rude, then like 10 minutes later realised I'd heard of the scam.

This is my seventh day here and I'm at two witnessed fights and one scam.

whats the scam?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i can feel the different text and voice stuff. my dad is a good example of that - if you read his texts you would think he is some barely literate clod because he omits pretty much all articles and uses four spaces instead of periods because I actually don’t know why (it’s convenient on his keyboard) but then you talk to him and you realize oh poo poo this guy is loving insanely smart, as befits someone who grew up on a farm and got a PhD in analytical chemistry with exactly zero help from his family. the different voices are just a thing with him.

at least part of the explanation is that he is dyslexic but it doesn’t explain everything by a long shot

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

They lead you into a tea shop with no prices on the menu then charge you hundreds of dollars per cup. https://wikitravel.org/en/Chinese_Tea_Scam

There's no way these ladies were legit at the end because they were pressure sales tactic to the extreme trying to get me in the door.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Do you remember the episode of Family Matters where a guy talks Eddie and Waldo into going to a bar, and Steve is all like "you shouldn't do thaaaaat," but they go anyway because obviously you should never listen to Urkel, but then they get stuck with a really high bill and Carl has to get them out of the jam? Because this is what I explained to (probably those same ladies) back in 2004.

Basically friendly english speakers get you to go to a tea shop, order lots of stuff from an unmarked menu. The place looks like a shithole so you're not worried about money, but surprise each cup of tea is like eighty bucks or something.

My favorite one from the time I was there was the Mongolian Art Student scam. Anyone ever run into that one?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had the art show scam in Beijing, but the old guy who brought me there was really interesting to talk to and I needed souvenirs for family anyway so I hardballed and got out with a bunch of like $8 wall scroll painting things. Not much of a scam.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Holy poo poo I was a impoverished student in Beijing in 98-99 and the tea house and art student scams were big back then, amazed they’re still going strong. Nice to see the old traditions being upheld.

Gulluoglu
May 4, 2009
Yeah, these scams are still pretty popular in the touristy areas of the big cities. I've been approached by both the art scam and the tea house scam in Shanghai every time I go to Yuyuan Gardens (one of the very few tourist areas in Shanghai).

My tea scammers were two younger Chinese university aged girls who started the conversation by wanting to take a photo with me and then practice their English. They claimed to be from out of town, and even wanted me to add them to wechat by scanning their QR code (but I later noticed they never accepted the request). I was pretty pumped that two reasonably cute girls wanted to talk with me, so it was cool with me. We chatted for about 10 or 15 minutes or so about random bullshit before they brought up that they wanted to check out a nearby tea house.

I made an excuse that I had to go meet a friend but that they should totally keep in touch.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I had the art student one tried on me in Beijing, I think it was in the Forbidden City as well. Sadly nothing interesting to share as it was a poor, easily recognized attempt.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stolen from C-SPAM

Click through, all of this poo poo is loving gold

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Two ladies lure you into a tea shop and then gently caress your brains out

Condolences to the op for running away instead

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Stolen from C-SPAM

quote:

chauvinistic Chinese hip-hop promoting sexism and glorifying wealth and hedonism
How is this different from western hip-hop?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Look at these joyless fucks, what's wrong with hedonism?

Grand Fromage posted:

I had the art show scam in Beijing, but the old guy who brought me there was really interesting to talk to and I needed souvenirs for family anyway so I hardballed and got out with a bunch of like $8 wall scroll painting things. Not much of a scam.

Was I scammed? Two cute girls in Tokyo talked me in to going inside a lame-rear end "gallery", except I found a picture I thought was kinda nice and paid about $5 for it.

Is it still a scam if you're happy with what you bought?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I thought this was fake, I was dead wrong

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

GotLag posted:

Is it still a scam if you're happy with what you bought?

That is the best scam.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Haha I spent three days in Beijing in 2007. Right after checking into the hotel my buddy and I walked to the Forbidden City and a few blocks before we got there a real friendly woman said she could show us a shortcut. By bullshit alarm
went off but my friend thought it was cool so I agreed. She led us down this side street and then was all "Oh, come with me to this art gallery! All the art is done by students - buy something for your girlfriend!" We go in and get the hard sell/guilt trip but get out of it when my buddy says we're leaving to fly to another country the next day but will be back later in the week (true) so we will buy something then (not true)

So several days later we're back in Beijing on our last day before flying back to the US, walking down the main drag that runs in front of our hotel & the Forbidden City and she spots us. Cue a huge scene with her screaming at us and calling us cheats and liars and everything. I just started laughing which didn't help her mood. Face was lost but I'm not sure by whom

Also we went to the Adidas store and caused the a girl working there to have an existential crisis by trying to find men's size 12 shoes. Something similar happened when I tried to do a transaction with a teller at Bank of China. Just this sense of "I am incredibly embarrassed and I am going to ignore you in hopes you just go away" I've never experienced it in any other country

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

Stolen from C-SPAM

not only did this take me to an amazing thread (thanks for that), this is arguably the greatest tweet I've ever read. this is absolutely incredible

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So the Chinese have managed to clone a monkey. What animal would you clone and why?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

So the Chinese have managed to clone a monkey. What animal would you clone and why?

A huge load of sparrows, to destroy china.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Great Autismo! posted:

not only did this take me to an amazing thread (thanks for that), this is arguably the greatest tweet I've ever read. this is absolutely incredible

He is going far down the rabbit hole

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://giant.gfycat.com/SoggyPowerlessCatfish.mp4

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Not only did the white car notice something was coming towards him he successfully dodged it without hitting anything else.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

bamhand posted:

Not only did the white car notice something was coming towards him he successfully dodged it without hitting anything else.

Must be a foreigner.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

A tyrannosaurus and I don't need to explain myself to you.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I WOULD CLONE DOKDO

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Chaoshan Girl posted:

disgusting rice too
after dump them , i feel better .
only sugar
only fat
only poo poo
no nutrition
just makes you full for 2 hours
then you become soft like the end of the world

and they are brainwash to you , the most nutrition one is rice
all chinese eat rice , you see
it is good
from many generation
and if i dont eat rice , they said no any chinese die because of eating rice
no rice , no life
no live
stupid

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
big nipples big life

no rice no life

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Collateral Damage posted:

How is this different from western hip-hop?

It's done by 24 Herb instead.

Taintrunner posted:

Stolen from C-SPAM

Over There posted:

I thought this was fake, I was dead wrong

It's like that Tankie Maoist mod in D&D all over again.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Devils Affricate posted:

I WOULD CLONE DOKDO

I like the cut of your jib, sir

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
CHINESE GONGFU VERSUS ANYTHING

https://i.imgur.com/LUW2xjt.gifv

Lol, I see they got a new band member. Red sweater plays keyboards, the other three guys square dance.

Now I need to ask her what the hell that means.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Bajaj posted:

Please stop hurting the feelings of the Chinese people, that was clearly a foul. You're not allowed to do effective stuff to win.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bajaj posted:

There's a video like this of me in a bar in Taiwan. That was a funny night.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Atlas Hugged posted:

There's a video like this of me in a bar in Taiwan. That was a funny night.

Well?!?!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Outrail posted:

Well?!?!

Sadly the video was on the old phone of the bartender who filmed it. It's basically identical to that but in a tiny, dimly lit bar with an inflatable snowman in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bajaj posted:

The new Street Fighter game looks quite good.

I love how ineffective the spin kick as it doesn't even connect with the block.

• Locked thread