Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Vasler posted:

They looked super excited to celebrate the launch. The team must be really happy :)

I wish I could buy the shirt that director and other guy were wearing. They looked fantastic.

This one?

https://www.redbubble.com/people/un...grid&style=mens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Some wild facial hair on this stream

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Has the big button been pushed yet, is 1.0 officially live?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Stalkers seem to have become a lot less aggressive. Like, I saw some and they didn't immediatly come over and start gnawing on my face.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wow, watching the stream was a wrong move. The devs come of as pretty unsympathetic. Moving on, what does the modding stand at right now? Is it only the asset packs that are accessible through Unity, or is the game open to add new code/functionality? I.e., have they encrypted stuff?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Wow, watching the stream was a wrong move. The devs come of as pretty unsympathetic. Moving on, what does the modding stand at right now? Is it only the asset packs that are accessible through Unity, or is the game open to add new code/functionality? I.e., have they encrypted stuff?

Really all you need is this clip and you've gotten maximum enjoyment from the stream. https://clips.twitch.tv/ShinyAverageBarracudaDAESuppy

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Was that a marriage proposal?

e: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/221740820?t=01h48m20s

Xik fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 24, 2018

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Xik posted:

Was that a marriage proposal?

You have to be extremely drat confident that she's going to say yes to try that.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Bizarre Echo posted:

You have to be extremely drat confident that she's going to say yes to try that.

The nerd version of a Jumbotron proposal. I wonder how often people say yes just for the camera and/or crowd, then tell them their real decision privately.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Can they push teh loving button already!?

I am being told its live

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 24, 2018

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It is indeed live.

My first experience is that the escape pod is a bit soggy. Apparently they have not fixed the "water goes inside buildings" bug quite yet.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
I though the end was pretty good, had stocked up on resources to be ready for them to push the button. Achievements seem to be bugged though, the last two didn't pop.

The time capsule mechanic seems a little... odd. I'm glad they're moderating though saddened I won't be able to glitch dong photos in.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

After they hit the button I started a new game. I'm going to sleep now with the knowledge that my players bedroom is at least mostly set up. The aquarium below serves the double purpose of aesthetics and peeper food production, got my water filter set up, so the only thing left to do is actually beat the game. Bah.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

So, is there some sort of notification where I get the escape craft plans, or do I just have to know where to go? Verified game cache to force an update this morning, but not sure it worked.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Vorkosigan posted:

So, is there some sort of notification where I get the escape craft plans, or do I just have to know where to go? Verified game cache to force an update this morning, but not sure it worked.

Yes, there is a very obvious (and funny) notification that sends you in the right direction. No marker on your hud tho, just tells you where to go, but you can't miss the location.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I haven't played this since early-butt days of EA, where I remember the survival mechanics being a huge pain in the butt- it was really fun early on, when I was resource-poor, but eventually it became nothing more than a drain on my time where I'd run back to the cyclops every so often, eat a chinese melon, wash it down with my own reclaimed waste, then go back outside for a few minutes. I wanna restart entirely now that it's out of EA, does survival have anything worthwhile in it, or can I get away with turning it off without missing out?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think it's best with food and water off. They're kind of fun needs early in the game but later on they just become obnoxious and force you to stop exploring or doing fun things, while not actually being a threat anymore

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Took me 24 hours to finish first time around, started a few days before launch. Big surprise the final two achievements don't work

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
While building a deep exploration base in the lava zone I used my Prawn to walk around in search of 70 degree spots. I found one and parked it there to mark it so I could go get materials to build some heat generators.

When I came back the prawn was gone. I assume Lava sharks ate it while I wasn't looking. Sucks big time, I would have resorted to console cheating in a new one if I didn't already need to go back to the surface to get more supplies and build better modules with the kyanite I just drilled. When I first got to the lava zone I also jumped into the hot stuff with the prawn just to test it, and the temperature readout just said 70c and nothing was flashing or whooping so I thought it was immune to lava damage, until I started sparking and noticed I was down to 3% durability.

Little bit of oversight here about properly communicating to the player "you are melting" and "animals are eating your Very Expensive toy".

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Scoss posted:

When I came back the prawn was gone. I assume Lava sharks ate it while I wasn't looking. Sucks big time, I would have resorted to console cheating in a new one if I didn't already need to go back to the surface to get more supplies and build better modules with the kyanite I just drilled.

It's rather odd that the Mobile Vehicle Bay can only be used to spawn stuff on the surface (I think?). I wish you could at least build one into a moonpool for Prawns and Seamoths- with only one vehicle, its destruction could easily get you trapped a kilometer down in the caves with no way to get enough air to break the surface.

That or you'd have to daisy-chain seabases with power antennae all the way back while blowing all your resources on pipes.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know if achievements are disabled if you use the console? I'm getting increasingly certain that the game somehow failed to spawn Cyclops Engine fragments, they aren't at any of the usual haunts, not even in the Aurora.

Edit: lol, they removed all the channels where you could type on the official Discord so i can't ask there either. "game released, now gently caress off bye bye" these developers are so weird and passive aggressive

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 24, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I just started up a new survival game.

"Oh my fire extinguisher is floating in the air? Well, okay." a few seconds later "...I can't interact with the fire extinguisher"

Why. Why is reality more absurd than anything I could ever theoretically make up about the state of the game :negative:

:tif:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 24, 2018

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Digirat posted:

I think it's best with food and water off. They're kind of fun needs early in the game but later on they just become obnoxious and force you to stop exploring or doing fun things, while not actually being a threat anymore

Agreed. In the beginning you're having to juggle food and water needs while diving short distances and monitoring your health, which is a perfectly good survival game cycle. In the end game, your time is already being limited by power, personal and vehicle health, and inventory size. Adding food and drink is just redunant by then, as far as game mechanics are concerned.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Using the console does disable achievements, but i was also able to get the Cyclops achievement anyway by just saving and reloading so YMMV.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I know the story is basically non-existant, but I really would have liked a few questions answered:

1) What happened to the Aliens, at least those on the planet? Presumably they all died, infected and unable to leave. Would have been nice to see see a few logs describing that and the loss of their civilization to the infection (other than the one note about the outbreak in the cord worlds).

2) What's with the random alien transmissions? The one that says it's identified targets for extermination make me think it's the the automated defense system managing the warpers but in that case why bother making them in the first place?

3) The whole Degasi chain feels like it was meant to be more than it was and it just got abandoned. Would have been cool to see some sunken subs from their moves, a better connection to the rest of the story, and a different end to the son than just got the other two killed and waited to die back on the floating island.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

nessin posted:

I know the story is basically non-existant, but I really would have liked a few questions answered:

1) What happened to the Aliens, at least those on the planet? Presumably they all died, infected and unable to leave. Would have been nice to see see a few logs describing that and the loss of their civilization to the infection (other than the one note about the outbreak in the cord worlds).

2) What's with the random alien transmissions? The one that says it's identified targets for extermination make me think it's the the automated defense system managing the warpers but in that case why bother making them in the first place?

3) The whole Degasi chain feels like it was meant to be more than it was and it just got abandoned. Would have been cool to see some sunken subs from their moves, a better connection to the rest of the story, and a different end to the son than just got the other two killed and waited to die back on the floating island.

2 in particular, You are correct that it's just Warpers talking to eachother that amounts to "Yo I just totally murdered a bunch or survivors." "gently caress yeah. We still gotta kill that protag though"

The triggers for them can result in their timing and context being a bit strange though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Some of the wrecks are different from what I remember from six months ago, and there seem to be some new ones, including a very useful one (actually two right next to each other) that you're likely to run across in the Sparse Reef on your way to the lifepod 19 signal, which it's fairly close to. They contain enough fragments to make the modification station and power cell charger, have some moonpool fragments, I think possibly the blueprint for the vehicle upgrade console, and the prawn torpedo arm, plus there are only nuisance predators to worry about and it's only a bit under 200m. There's also a canyon right next to it with a lot of useful resources, including gel sacks, rubies, and shale deposits for gold and diamonds.

They buffed Lantern fruit from what I remember (now +10 hunger +3 thirst), which would seem to render the Chinese Potatoes (+12 hunger +3 thirst) superfluous. The bulbo tree samples now give +8 hunger +10 thirst, so those are now a good way to keep hydrated. Marblemelons got nerfed a bit and probably aren't worth the hassle anymore unless you're gardening for aesthetics.

I don't feel quite as titanium-hungry as I used to. It probably helps that you no longer need tons of plasteel ingots for pressure compensator upgrades to save up for. I'll occasionally pick up some scrap, but don't feel like I have to hunt for it.

Not sure where nickel is now, I scoured the parts of the Lost River where it was before but all I found were drillable uraninite.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 24, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

everyone got your captain murphy gear on?

im gonna be an adrienne barbeau-bot

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I started a new game after the release build dropped and the early game progression seems much smoother now then when I played. Also like half the recipes have changed their ingredients up for the better.

Performance and pop-in is somehow even worse then when it was when I last played. It's almost unbearable when in the seamoth with wrecks sometimes spawning when I'm almost directly on them.

It's super disappointing. I've even had an upgrade since my last go playing. I now have an M.2 SSD instead of a SATA one with something like 5x the read performance of the previous SSD.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I have had environments chunks fail to stream in so badly that I could actually just swim out of bounds, and I suspect the game has some kind of memory leak or similar issue.

They did a pretty good job of cleaning up and polishing the gameplay, but it sadly looks like the game will probably just always be kinda lovely on the technical end.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Just now started this for first time ever, haven't gotten into water yet and I've already ran into minor issues like outside sounds playing when I'm near walls and framerate tanking if I get very close to the sparks from damaged secondary systems. Water is also showing through the floor.

And now it just simply crashed when I was adjusting screen space reflections. Their implementation is crazy expensive compared to any other game I've played so I might end up having to disable them :(

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 24, 2018

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I didn't seem to have any performance issues, 90+fps the whole time on 2560* resolution. Worst pop in was at worst 100 meters out but no laggy movements or hitching while swimming around

edit: I only bought this last weekend

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 24, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Scoss posted:

I have had environments chunks fail to stream in so badly that I could actually just swim out of bounds, and I suspect the game has some kind of memory leak or similar issue.

They did a pretty good job of cleaning up and polishing the gameplay, but it sadly looks like the game will probably just always be kinda lovely on the technical end.

Yeah lol one time a couple months ago I opened a door to nowhere on the aurora and just walked right out, falling into the water inside of it and had to use console commands to get myself back through the wall into playable territory

Then when I was taking my cyclops down to the river zone, much of the world just completely stopped loading for minutes and I had to leave the whole area, restart the game and come back to make it load. All on an SSD, 32 GB RAM and an i7 coffee lake

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Crashed the second time and then it just froze so that along with unstable performance made me go and just uninstall it. Going to wait another year to see if they have fixed the performance and pop in. I regret putting it into my wishlist year ago making someone gift it to me.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Trip report: It runs better than it ever has. Sure, there's still pop-in, but it's a lot less annoying than it used to be and only really occurs when diving straight down for ~100 meters. Other than that, it's smooth and hasn't crashed once.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Game is good. I really appreciate how cheap and easy it is to make a scanner room now, it makes the early grind for resources almost trivial and I'm no longer punished for building tiny outposts everywhere.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Meh, i hadn't learnt my lesson about not buying early access games before i got Subnautica and i played it way too much before release. Everything is just boring and tedious now :negative:
I'll probably end up just youtubing the ending, but i'm not loving touching the Artic DLC before it's released (if it even happens).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Eh I don't think it's so bad because you fly through the early recipes if you've played before, as long as you use the console to cheat in your base building materials. Making a big base takes hours and it definitely would drag too much if you had to collect all the crap again too

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Digirat posted:

Eh I don't think it's so bad because you fly through the early recipes if you've played before, as long as you use the console to cheat in your base building materials. Making a big base takes hours and it definitely would drag too much if you had to collect all the crap again too

Actually the scanner room is like a bit of titanium, copper and coral. It's ridiculously cheap and then you just have to craft a computer chip and set it to ping you for X resource you want. Making big bases without cheating is super easy, even on lower depths because you can always find what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Feels like some variant of the bug that eventually bogged down your save until the game crashed on load is still in the game. Started out at 90-120 fps on a new game, but 18 hours in (woah, time flies when you are petrified) i'm down to 35-40 fps.