Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I know the first edition of the FFG games were timed to the early 800s M41 (I think Dark Heresy was 815, Only War and Deathwatch was like 817). Does DH2 have a similar starting date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any tips for balancing rogue trader "chanpion enemies" ? The first bunch of enemies i created to be championsesque ended up far to hard / armored. Downside is now when i went the other direction to balance the group is all in on armor pen and tends to shred anything short of a walker.

Im pretty sure this just boils down to i am bad gm but any tips would be helpful.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is everyone in your group equally killy or is it just some PCs? Anyway, try throwing a diverse group at them, like one super unit, a couple lackeys, and a horde. Then give the enemies a goal beyond killing the players so you always have an excuse for not slaughtering the part mercilessly.

So like in a guard game if you have an enemy ork battlewagon, 2 orks with heavy weapons, and a grot mob, but really the orks are trying to push start the tank so they can drive off.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, mixed groups work well. Also try to use the battlefield to your advantage. I really think the FFG combat system really is more reliant on cover and overwatch and suppressing fire than many people play it.

Put your enemies behind even some light cover and suddenly they have like 4-6 more AP that the players have to flank, or grenade. Have one heavy weapon guy on overwatch shooting AND suppressing anyone in the open, etc.

I know a lot of people hate cover and suppression. Especially suppression as it takes control away from players and really puts focus on bumping willpower which only psyker are ever good at.

If your Pcs are powerful people will know that. Folks trying to kill them should be ambushing them, using cover, and every other advantage.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The enemies should also try to use range to their advantage to slow down close combat blenders. Why have those guns with 100m+ ranges if you're always at close range with everything?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I agree. Problem is with the range issue, if you have 100+ meter battlefields your melee focused guy gets to say "I run forward" for 4+ turns. Moreso if there are folks overwatching so your melee folks have to use the move from cover to cover command.

The obvious answer is have units spaced out, so your melee guy has enemies to kill every like 20 meters. Little breadcrumbs.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Well, for Rogue Trader, there are plenty of ways to effectively disarm your crew to put them in dangerous situations without their full kit. Like, formal duels against rival RT houses. Or ambushes at dinner parties with Planetary Governors. Or being pulled into an Imperial station to answer to an Inquisitorial summons. The great thing about RT is that it's not *just* a straightforward power fantasy kicking down doors and spraying stormbolters, it's also a highly political game wherein your power is dependant upon the continued goodwill of other space Gods in flying cathedrals.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nothing to say that you can't complicate lives in DH or DW. In the first one, you're dealing with cults and conspiracies that can drown you in bodies, ambush you or disappear you. In DW, you might be forced to be quiet so as not to alert the enemy, which could lead to hostages getting executed/shot blown up/artifacts lost and so on.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How do people typically load up a Land Raider Crusader?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
With assault terminators and a character.

If you see one of the transport Land Raiders in a 40k RPG, it should be hauling Very Important And Very Deadly People.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

With assault terminators and a character.

If you see one of the transport Land Raiders in a 40k RPG, it should be hauling Very Important And Very Deadly People.

Wrong thread 😃

I feel like if most 40k RPGs see a Land Raider they will realize they are in a very very bad situation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mango sentinel posted:

Wrong thread 😃

I feel like if most 40k RPGs see a Land Raider they will realize they are in a very very bad situation.

They will realize that and, in my experience, "Let's jack this!"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Do not put a vehicle within planetary range of your players unless you are willing to deal with them trying (and possibly succeeding) to steal it.

This includes capital ships.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Daemon engines solve that problem. Can't jack a horrific daemon's metal skin.

Now you could try to control it...

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Or, knowing goons, gently caress it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hexenritter posted:

Or, knowing goons, gently caress it

whynotboth.gif

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Werix posted:

Daemon engines solve that problem. Can't jack a horrific daemon's metal skin.

Now you could try to control it...

Nothing is unjackable with the right attitude. Some might even want to be jacked. It's a dog jack dog galaxy out there.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:quagmire:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Hostile daemon engines are really just sacrifices to be used in the summoning of bigger, tougher daemon engines with cooler paint jobs from the daemon world of airbrushers undivided.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Azhais posted:

whynotboth.gif

James Cameron's Demon Engine.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, if your navigator, explorator or astropath isn't knee-deep in daemon engine friends already, it's been a slow session.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Be sure to make it clear through descriptions what constitutes a good idea or bad idea.

I'm referencing an old PBP where I nearly died in the first scene because I couldn't read the scene:

(Paraphrased) There's an Ork Kommando with a mean-as-hell looking knife and his Mek buddy chilling on the same scrap of ship you are, trying to look for a way out. They've noticed you, but don't really seem to care as their primary goal is getting out as opposed to killing you. What do you do?

Good idea: Ignore them and find a way off the ship. The description suggests that they're there and you can fight them if you wish, but they're not engaging you. Besides, your gear is ruined and they are Orks. Melee's probably your worst option. Hell, you could even try to make friends with them.

Bad idea: Rush them down, attempt to chop them into bits, and find out that Counterattack is actually a Very Good Talent that they have and you don't. Watch as they nearly one-shot you in a single counterattack, steal your weapon, and leave you there to bleed out. Hope you make your rolls to stop bleeding and that you can self-Medicae yourself back together enough to stand.

In that context, like other posters suggested have a mixed group of enemies they can handle and ones that they can't. Enable them to handle the ones that they can't using descriptions/rewarding Knowledge checks that suggest possible courses of action, like avoiding the obvious kill-zone in front of the Looted Tank whose turret is fixed, or that killing the Khorne cultists in the summoning ritual will likely spawn Khornate demons (Khorne is still appeased by the blood and skulls resulting from the cultists' deaths), but can weaken or possibly stop the ritual to bring in the Big Bad.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 3, 2018

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

Bad idea: Rush them down, attempt to chop them into bits, and find out that Counterattack is actually a Very Good Talent that they have and you don't. Watch as they nearly one-shot you in a single counterattack, steal your weapon, and leave you there to bleed out. Hope you make your rolls to stop bleeding and that you can self-Medicae yourself back together enough to stand.

I remember this. We laughed at you.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Also remember that Counterattack lets you attack back with the weapon you parried with, reducing you to the level of bashing with your shield like an animal instead of smashing with your power fist.

I'm not bitter.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

chin up everything sucks posted:

I remember this. We laughed at you.

I'm glad you do! I deserved it.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So I know the basic rules for 2nd and 1st Ed Dark Heresy are pretty similar, but have yet to have a chance to play 2nd Ed. Is there anything I should watch out for when trying to convert 1st Ed campaigns over to 2nd Ed? Obviously certain talents and powers are missing, but just reading through 2nd Ed it actually seems to be less abuse prone (just by comparison of psychic powers if nothing else).

I want to restart my campaign using the Haarlock Saga. I had taken the group through the starter rulebook campaign, one of the campaigns from Purge the Unclean, and moved that into the House of Dust and Ash the intro to the Haarlock Saga. Unfortunately my group fell apart, but I really enjoyed it up that point.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Uroboros posted:

So I know the basic rules for 2nd and 1st Ed Dark Heresy are pretty similar, but have yet to have a chance to play 2nd Ed. Is there anything I should watch out for when trying to convert 1st Ed campaigns over to 2nd Ed? Obviously certain talents and powers are missing, but just reading through 2nd Ed it actually seems to be less abuse prone (just by comparison of psychic powers if nothing else).

I want to restart my campaign using the Haarlock Saga. I had taken the group through the starter rulebook campaign, one of the campaigns from Purge the Unclean, and moved that into the House of Dust and Ash the intro to the Haarlock Saga. Unfortunately my group fell apart, but I really enjoyed it up that point.

I'd say 75% of the changes between editions were in Character Creation stuff, 20% Item Stats, 5% actual rules changes. Have everyone re-stat their characters using the new charts, and you should be mostly good to go.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

susan posted:

I'd say 75% of the changes between editions were in Character Creation stuff, 20% Item Stats, 5% actual rules changes. Have everyone re-stat their characters using the new charts, and you should be mostly good to go.

Thanks, fortunately there is likely be only 1 or 2 players from the old group present in this new incarnation when I get it going. I had already planned on having everyone rolling new characters using 2nd Editions rules. My question was more in relation to the power level of Monsters and NPCs in 1st Edition. The Slaught feature pretty heavily in the Haarlock Saga, and were fearsomely deadly in 1st Edition, I didn't think they would require much changing, but I just wanted to be sure.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
DH2 characters are probably a little tougher out of the gate over DH1, although not a great deal so. You might need to make minor changes to your encounters, such as a couple extra goons.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Wrath and Glory seems to be taking DH2e approach to classes:
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2689

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Ooh, multiple species out of the box. Also, Keywords sound like an interesting way to combine Peer and Common Lore-type skills.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tias posted:

Yeah, if your navigator, explorator or astropath isn't knee-deep in daemon engine friends already, it's been a slow session.

The Explorator in the game I'm running is really into the Omnissiah stuff. No xenos tech.

On an unrelated note, I'm using Lucin's Breath in the campaign. Does anyone have neat suggestions for nepenthe, the promethium++ stuff? Right now I'm thinking it gives flame weapons an extra d10 keep the highest.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Explorator in the game I'm running is really into the Omnissiah stuff. No xenos tech.

On an unrelated note, I'm using Lucin's Breath in the campaign. Does anyone have neat suggestions for nepenthe, the promethium++ stuff? Right now I'm thinking it gives flame weapons an extra d10 keep the highest.

I think there's a book that says it's like -20 to the agility roll to avoid it? That might have just been a house rule though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah, I haven't been able to find any official rules. I like extra fiery fire better, I think.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Gonna run a Necromunda heist game. What kind of classic heist plots have you guys tried, and which apply well to the setting?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Tias posted:

Gonna run a Necromunda heist game. What kind of classic heist plots have you guys tried, and which apply well to the setting?

Just watch some of your favorite heist movies and think: "How can I make this retarded?" Then go from there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Tias posted:

I am doing this with Blades in the Dark and it is incredible. Half planned jobs that spin way out of control is the best part.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

Just watch some of your favorite heist movies and think: "How can I make this retarded?" Then go from there.

I can't recall having watched any good heist movies :(

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am doing this with Blades in the Dark and it is incredible. Half planned jobs that spin way out of control is the best part.

I was just gonna go with Dark Heresy, but I'm listening. Is there an intro/freeware thing for BitD I can check out?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Really? You didn't watch Heat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

Really? You didn't watch Heat?

Oh word. Not since I was a kid. Maybe time to check it out again!