Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

:clint: I'll get you Beer Baron!
:regd13: No you won't!

:clint: Yes I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don’t like that the movie took a moment during the climax to show Martin get revenge on the bullies, pretty much joke free too. He’s a huge dweeb and that’s what wakes him funny.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
The Simpsons Movie was post-golden era, zany Simpsons done much more competently than that (bad) era of the TV show. That's not a very high bar so it is still mediocre

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sotar posted:

:clint: Yes I will.

I hate that every transcription of Homer's response to this is "Won't!"

That makes no sense as a joke to cut to commercial on

It's clearly "D'oh"

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Data Graham posted:

I hate that every transcription of Homer's response to this is "Won't!"

That makes no sense as a joke to cut to commercial on

It's clearly "D'oh"

i thought it was d'oh but i looked it up and....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzSgzHu4Q5g

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

d'oh :doh:

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
its like the berenstein bears thing all over again

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Streak posted:

i thought it was d'oh but i looked it up and....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzSgzHu4Q5g

wtf

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
im actually wondering if that video is fake cuz seriously wtf

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Streak posted:

im actually wondering if that video is fake cuz seriously wtf

same here. ive seen that episode a million times and i always thought it was doh. that was the joke--that homer was stupid enough to take his word that hed get caught. wont isnt funny. im losing my mind. i keep standing up and sitting down for no reason

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
This has shaken me to my very core

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
no option for season 12 onwards

thats all

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The joke is he's doing a soliloquy but Homer can hear him from many streets away he then says the next line even quieter and homer can still hear him

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

The joke is he's doing a soliloquy but Homer can hear him from many streets away he then says the next line even quieter and homer can still hear him

Exactly, "won't" is funny, what the gently caress are you all on about?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

a) The scene just ... ends after that, like "won't" is supposed to be a punchline, but if the joke were simply some meta thing about how he's able somehow to hear the soliloquy from miles away you'd think it would go on a little further and have some kind of payoff for such a strange setup, like the guy would whisper one further line and then Homer would go "What?" or something

b) It doesn't sound grammatically like something Homer would say (he might as well pop in a monocle and say "shan't! :iamafag:"

c) "d'oh" would have been a lot funnier, as explained above; that way it starts as a meta joke about the long-distance hearing but then it has a "Homer is dumb" stinger to tie it off

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 24, 2018

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This is just like the Hank Scorpio “shoes” debate.

Hank: “you ever see a guy say goodbye to a pair of shoes before?”
Homer: “heh heh just one.”

Is Homer referring to what he just saw? Or did he actually see someone do it before?

A: either way is funny.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The other layer of the joke is the gruff one liners being undermined by homer's childish defiance.
Homer saying d'oh would end the scene with a victory for the detective. A loss of dignity for the detective is funny because Homer has none and

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
that's a great scene and i wont have it tarnished like this

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How is "D'oh!" actually funny, anyway? Homer hasn't actually been found yet and has no reason to believe he will be. It just doesn't work as a joke on any level.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Do you guys just think random noises are funny? Is that why you're all so mad?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's an expression of despair and resignation against his distant unseen antagonist

It's funny that he would give up under those circumstances

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It IS funny if he says “D’oh” because it means he is dumb enough to accept defeat from someone who can’t even see him and is miles away and has no idea who he is.

Edit: ^^ yeah that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he says won't and i have always thought that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Who What Now posted:

Do you guys just think random noises are funny? Is that why you're all so mad?

I figure that the people who hear "d'oh" enjoy new episodes, and the people who hear "won't" like good episodes.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
jesus christ

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
he’s saying “boo-urns”

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
this is the worst thing to ever happen

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I found the answer to your question OP

I'm sorry :smith:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
“Homer saying his catch-phrase?? That’s supposed to be funny??”

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

“Homer saying his catch-phrase?? That’s supposed to be funny??”

HE SAID WON'T

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Would you guys be satisfied if modern Simpsons was the same quality as the film?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Would you guys be satisfied if modern Simpsons was the same quality as the film?

I'd be less dissatisfied, which is not the same

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't think anyone's asking modern Simpsons to be or do anything in particular; the right thing would have been for it to end after the movie, go out on a relatively high note. But that ship has sailed. There's really no way the show ends now that isn't ignominious (VAs dying, contract disputes, even stupider retooling). All we can do at this point is commentate from a position of disdainful detachment :munch:

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

the film sucked poo poo and wasn't funny in the least so no , not at all

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

If Fox no longer makes any money from new Simpsons episodes, then why do they still make them?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

punk rebel ecks posted:

If Fox no longer makes any money from new Simpsons episodes, then why do they still make them?

Inertia

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Even if the episodes don’t make any money, they’re a loss-leader for the merchandising empire.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
there is no way on earth the Simpsons don't make tons of money , they are too big to fail .simp

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rascar Capac posted:

Even if the episodes don’t make any money, they’re a loss-leader for the merchandising empire.

Is there even demand for Simpsons merchandise anymore?

I remember it was all over in the early 90's, but the last time I saw anything was at least 12 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Is there even demand for Simpsons merchandise anymore?

I remember it was all over in the early 90's, but the last time I saw anything was at least 12 years ago.

I remember seeing Duff Beer at Hot Topic eight years ago.