Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Moon Atari posted:

Even people who are on the same general "side" as me politically seem pretty scary a lot of the time. There was this guy I've been following on twitter for years and suddenly he starts posting about how any one who is worried about or tries to reduce people discussing the murder of their political enemies is in fact sympathising with the enemy. That sort of talk is kind of alienating for me. I just can't feel comfortable around such explicitly violent ideology.
that's why the right worries me with its talk of the ease with which it could carry out violence (or at least those on the right who talk like this). it is underestimating the other side. there is a liberal academic named shadi hamid who studies islamism and egypt in particular, and i don't agree with everything he says, but he said after the election that many american liberals reminded him of the people who backed the military coup against mohamed morsi. the military went on to commit the greatest single act of mass killing in the country's modern history at rabaa square, and much to his shock and horror his cosmopolitan egyptian friends cheered this on and were saying stuff that made them sound like fascists.

suffice to say i think a military coup is extremely unlikely, unthinkable even, though it seems the U.S. is effectively being governed already by a military troika of h.r. mcmaster, john kelly and james mattis. and if we entered suddenly into a nightmare world where those guys went all the way, deposed trump, and then turned their guns on his supporters, a lot of self-described democrats would absolutely support it. i don't think it's going to happen but that's that subconscious thing i was talking about.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 13:47 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

rudatron posted:

the comparison to the us civil war aren't too far off the mark. political polarization has just jumped up massively. see the pew poll:

http://www.people-press.org/2017/10/05/the-partisan-divide-on-political-values-grows-even-wider/
as you can see, this isn't a sudden, dramatic change, but the culmination of a long running trend. that also means its not going to reverse quickly.

the whole thing is a powder keg, waiting for the right crisis to set it off.

Rudatron, forgive me for asking, but you're not American, are you? The bizarre thing about reading this thread and pretty much any thread like it in cspam or D&D is the bizarro world nature of what's actually going on in America versus what cub reporters are telling us what is happening in America. Sure, amongst people who care, liberals and conservatives are getting along terribly from a political perspective. My own father is a never trumper who is caremad all the time about Trump. The reality is though that the vast vast majority of people dont give a poo poo about politics outside of the most local concerns. 24x7 media hyping the next news story i think gives people, especially outside the US, that the US is a 'powder keg' to use your term, when on the ground most people dont want to even discuss politics because it's hella loving boring. I work in NYC but live in a deep red exurb upstate, and in my daily walk, i rarely encounter anyone who wants to discuss politics. People who do want to talk about politics are shunned, nobody wants to be around them, because inevitably, they have strident and horrible opinions, regardless of which side they're on. My primary customer in NYC is a North African Muslim appointee of Mayor DiBlasio. I'm a conservative white male. You know what we talk about? Premier league soccer.

edit: get your news from somewhere other than gawker and slate, maybe read local newspapers instead

gobbagool has issued a correction as of 13:52 on Jan 24, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i totally relate to the idea that people don't want to talk about politics on the street. that's the surreal thing. but it seems like a bad sign if people cannot talk about politics without insane threats and other bullshit erupting like a volcano. it's like a cold peace. am i wrong about this? my mad-liberal father would always get into these pointless arguments with his republican business partner. they've had this feud for 30 years, and he was recently outraged that his colleague started saying that all the liberals need to be locked up as threats to the country, and this guy is not a random crackpot but a businessman and GOP organizer who attends the party's state convention. well, dad's rhetoric isn't much less heated. but maybe they'll just shout it out for awhile.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

gobbagool posted:

Rudatron, forgive me for asking, but you're not American, are you? The bizarre thing about reading this thread and pretty much any thread like it in cspam or D&D is the bizarro world nature of what's actually going on in America versus what cub reporters are telling us what is happening in America. Sure, amongst people who care, liberals and conservatives are getting along terribly from a political perspective. My own father is a never trumper who is caremad all the time about Trump. The reality is though that the vast vast majority of people dont give a poo poo about politics outside of the most local concerns. 24x7 media hyping the next news story i think gives people, especially outside the US, that the US is a 'powder keg' to use your term, when on the ground most people dont want to even discuss politics because it's hella loving boring. I work in NYC but live in a deep red exurb upstate, and in my daily walk, i rarely encounter anyone who wants to discuss politics. People who do want to talk about politics are shunned, nobody wants to be around them, because inevitably, they have strident and horrible opinions, regardless of which side they're on. My primary customer in NYC is a North African Muslim appointee of Mayor DiBlasio. I'm a conservative white male. You know what we talk about? Premier league soccer.

This sort of response makes me wonder what a modern America where people at large care about and act on politics would even look like. The country's energies are so, so devoted to pretending everything is 100% fine, to a ridiculous degree. Basically every aspect of society would have to go away for America to collapse IMO

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
polite small talk isn't a sign of common identification, it's what you do when you want to avoid any possibility of conflict. you avoid any controversy, because you cannot trust that the person listening won't take offense or react negatively. any real friendship necessarily involves talking honestly to the other person, and that includes telling them things they might not want to hear. you don't do that to shallow acquaintances, because you don't really care.

the issue comes when that 'polite distance' cannot be maintained, either because it's directly related to a pressing crisis, or because a further social breakdown has occurred. you can only ignore politics for so long, before it forces itself into view, and a major crisis will do just that.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

gobbagool posted:

edit: get your news from somewhere other than gawker and slate, maybe read local newspapers instead

On local papers, that's really only an option if you live in the New York or DC area.

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/955465567879626752

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

lollontee posted:

Sure, but not as much as you think. China is building its One Roadbelt across the Eurasian continent and integrating the whole of Africa into its supply chains and political hegemony. In a decade they'll be able to bypass any American hegemony holding them back and ship any product the rest of the world might want without going through any of the naval routes you currently control, and then what?

just still loling at this from page 1

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

rudatron posted:

polite small talk isn't a sign of common identification, it's what you do when you want to avoid any possibility of conflict. you avoid any controversy, because you cannot trust that the person listening won't take offense or react negatively. any real friendship necessarily involves talking honestly to the other person, and that includes telling them things they might not want to hear. you don't do that to shallow acquaintances, because you don't really care.

the issue comes when that 'polite distance' cannot be maintained, either because it's directly related to a pressing crisis, or because a further social breakdown has occurred. you can only ignore politics for so long, before it forces itself into view, and a major crisis will do just that.

Or, you know, people just dont give a gently caress about politics? Where do you live that people spend all their emotional energy confronting eachother about things they know they disagree on? Is 'live and let live' not an idea there? Why on earth would I want to have an 'honest' conversation with someone to pick a fight when there's zero chance of convincing one another of anything? That's such a strange thought process. What sort of 'pressing crisis' do you have in mind that will require that people be forced to agree with eachother at gunpoint? I really dont get where you're coming from at all, but i'm listening.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
interesting thing about southern newspapers before the civil war, up until very late they were mostly pro-union. they were pro-slavery, of course, but the secession crisis occurred very suddenly --
ka-bang -- like a bomb going off. secessionists in the south believed they were experiencing a second american revolution.

the question is what's the breaking point? and over what? health care? this is what i'm not seeing. the civil war was not war between parties; it was a sectional war over slavery and the pre-war parties fractured.

Iron Twinkie posted:

On local papers, that's really only an option if you live in the New York or DC area.

yeah people are getting their local news from facebook now.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Iron Twinkie posted:

if you're talking about hard investigative reporting, maybe, yeah. I mean a lot of news is local, and there's still plenty of papers covering local news.

http://www.timesunion.com/
https://dailygazette.com/

those are the two around here. the TU has pretty good coverage of State politics, though not all of it is on the website unless you're a subscriber.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gobbagool posted:

because poo poo like tish is no more visible from inside the bubble as from the outside. both of us ultimately have to make sense of what the future brings based on crap people smareterd thunk: about hearts of iron IV mods

case in point everything i've said in this thread. or in general ever

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Being literally able to utter a word to someone who isn't 100% like you is no sign of political stability in any direction. I bet like, individual Irish Unionists and Republicans could have a beer together once in awhile around the time of the Easter Rising

Now I'm not saying America is even in that galaxy politically, but just because I can say "Hi" to a Republican I know without them immediately going apeshit on me doesn't mean anything.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
like uhh., do you have any vision of a world where american wealth and poresperity remains at what you got now and aklso china kinda owns everything? :agesilaus:

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the question is what's the breaking point? and over what? health care? this is what i'm not seeing. the civil war was not war between parties; it was a sectional war over slavery and the pre-war parties fractured.

This is really the question, what issue is there that average Americans, the middle 95%, are willing to fight and die over? You can forget about the kids of issues that get internet rage addicted activists worked up, the vast vast vast majority of people wont even know what you're talking about and think you're a weirdo, much less risk their well being and their families to take the torch up for some dumb cause.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
most people don’t let politics dominate their lives because they are not pathetic loser nerds. they are not going to kill each other over ideology because they barely have any ideology to begin with other than getting along to get along.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

gobbagool posted:

This is really the question, what issue is there that average Americans, the middle 95%, are willing to fight and die over? You can forget about the kids of issues that get internet rage addicted activists worked up, the vast vast vast majority of people wont even know what you're talking about and think you're a weirdo, much less risk their well being and their families to take the torch up for some dumb cause.

I mean I agree that people aren't going to rush off to the killing fields of Iowa to shoot off a rifle over it but most I know, from across the political spectrum, are pretty loving pissed off about health care, even if they disagree over how to fix it

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gobbagool posted:

lol if you think it requires available political causes for a society to devolve into looting. fact is, i still don't own a telly. and I want one

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
the US population cares deeply and might come to violence over sports team affiliations but as a whole is totally disconnected from the ruling political class; most people don’t even vote, remember? they watch and care about sports instead with that mental energy

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

gobbagool posted:

if you're talking about hard investigative reporting, maybe, yeah. I mean a lot of news is local, and there's still plenty of papers covering local news.

http://www.timesunion.com/
https://dailygazette.com/

those are the two around here. the TU has pretty good coverage of State politics, though not all of it is on the website unless you're a subscriber.

The Times-Union is exceptionally sharp as small-city papers go, probably because of the weird circumstance of having boots on the ground where the people who govern NYC live. Get out to a lot of ostensibly bigger capital cities, and it's the same AP regurgitation under a different masthead under the door when you check out in one city and on a table in the lobby bar when you check in in another.

And I think you're wrong about the propensity to "talk politics" around here. Especially because so many of the realities of life are intensely political. Are you sure people aren't just pegging your angle and trying not to set you off? Not even sarcastic, I'm the polar opposite of you and when I cut my hair and started dressing more professionally everyone I didn't know by sight clammed the gently caress up while randos across the midwest and south suddenly became disgustingly talkative about who they hated.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Lightning Lord posted:

Being literally able to utter a word to someone who isn't 100% like you is no sign of political stability in any direction. I bet like, individual Irish Unionists and Republicans could have a beer together once in awhile around the time of the Easter Rising

Now I'm not saying America is even in that galaxy politically, but just because I can say "Hi" to a Republican I know without them immediately going apeshit on me doesn't mean anything.

I think that's the point I'm making. Normal people don't go apeshit over political differences. They live their lives, mostly understanding that not everybody agrees on everything. People holding differing opinions does not equal America collapsing. Not liking Donald Trump does not equal America collapsing. The rest of the thread, masturbatory fantasies of China taking over Asia, or the rest of East Asia deciding all of a sudden they really like China, is just silly. China has a herculean task in front of it to finish modernizing before their population pyramid goes tits up, Hegemony starts at home, and unless the chicoms can continue to deliver on their end of the bargain, i'd be more worried about a Chinese collapse than an American one.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laphroaig posted:

the US population cares deeply and might come to violence over sports team affiliations but as a whole is totally disconnected from the ruling political class; most people don’t even vote, remember? they watch and care about sports instead with that mental energy

right, so your allegiance is held for exactly as long as the bank accounts remain positive. and i the atms have cash too i guess? that's not a stable state for a society to live in

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it's not about 'confronting', or 'picking a fight', it's about meaningful interaction. small talk just isn't that. suppose you have a friend acting self destructively: do you just ignore it, and only make small talk with them? no, you actively take them aside, and tell them what the problem is. now suppose they're just someone you 'know' about. how likely are you to intervene? you could, but you probably wouldn't get anywhere, and besides, it's their business, not yours - that is, it would be impolite.

In other words, politeness is the absence of familiarity, not proof of its presence. you open up with people you think you can trust, and that includes politics, though obviously people care about a lot of other things as well.

But the point is, even if form the outside, there doesn't appear to be much of anything, under the surface, inside the beliefs and thoughts of americans, big changes are happening, like volcanic eruptions at the bottom of the ocean.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Mandoric posted:

And I think you're wrong about the propensity to "talk politics" around here. Especially because so many of the realities of life are intensely political. Are you sure people aren't just pegging your angle and trying not to set you off? Not even sarcastic, I'm the polar opposite of you and when I cut my hair and started dressing more professionally everyone I didn't know by sight clammed the gently caress up while randos across the midwest and south suddenly became disgustingly talkative about who they hated.

I mean, maybe you're right? At work i dress professionally, most of the time it's Jeans, Tims, and a sweater, so unless its the fact that i'm a 40 something white male and people are drawing conclusions from that? I'm still not sure you've supported the notion that violent revolution is imminent because people dont like eachother and are super caremad about Trump but i'll concede the point that perhaps people's assumptions about me based on my appearance frame the conversation?
'

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

rudatron posted:

it's not about 'confronting', or 'picking a fight', it's about meaningful interaction. small talk just isn't that. suppose you have a friend acting self destructively: do you just ignore it, and only make small talk with them? no, you actively take them aside, and tell them what the problem is. now suppose they're just someone you 'know' about. how likely are you to intervene? you could, but you probably wouldn't get anywhere, and besides, it's their business, not yours - that is, it would be impolite.

In other words, politeness is the absence of familiarity, not proof of its presence. you open up with people you think you can trust, and that includes politics, though obviously people care about a lot of other things as well.

But the point is, even if form the outside, there doesn't appear to be much of anything, under the surface, inside the beliefs and thoughts of americans, big changes are happening, like volcanic eruptions at the bottom of the ocean.

What is your evidence of 'big changes are happening' besides the fact that you are angry about America?

edit: some of you were probably around during OWS. D&D jizzed all over themselves for weeks, convinced, at least at first, that OWS was the beginning of the grand socialist/communist revolution, and not just a bunch of filthy hippies that 95% of the country was laughing at.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gobbagool posted:

I mean, maybe you're right? At work i dress professionally, most of the time it's Jeans, Tims, and a sweater, so unless its the fact that i'm a 40 something white male and people are drawing conclusions from that? I'm still not sure you've supported the notion that violent revolution is imminent because people dont like eachother and are super caremad about Trump but i'll concede the point that perhaps people's assumptions about me based on my appearance frame the conversation?
'

do you own a house?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

some old dude from Georgia was trying to tell me a while back that actually Arkansas is in the midwest.

It's not, but if it keeps us out of the neo confederacy i'm down

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

lollontee posted:

do you own a house?

Yes? Do you?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

gobbagool posted:

What is your evidence of 'big changes are happening' besides the fact that you are angry about America?
...did...did you see the graphs i posted? i didn't make them, they're done by pew polling. i think they're pretty interesting.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
gabbagool's point, i take it, is that while those graphs about increasing partisan divides may tell us about what voters' preferences are, they dont tell us anything about the intensity of those preferences. so its hard to conclude, based on those alone, whether these divides will manifest themselves in ways outside the regular political arena.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

rudatron posted:

...did...did you see the graphs i posted? i didn't make them, they're done by pew polling. i think they're pretty interesting.

Finicums Wake said it better than i did. Sure, people have divergent opinions on politics, and might even get mad when they see something in their facebook feed about Trans bathrooms, or DACA, but they're not about to march in the street about it. Most normies are more angry that the Pats are in the Super Bowl again than they are about the breathless 24x7 RUSSIA COLLUSION story

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

gobbagool posted:

I think that's the point I'm making. Normal people don't go apeshit over political differences. They live their lives, mostly understanding that not everybody agrees on everything. People holding differing opinions does not equal America collapsing. Not liking Donald Trump does not equal America collapsing. The rest of the thread, masturbatory fantasies of China taking over Asia, or the rest of East Asia deciding all of a sudden they really like China, is just silly. China has a herculean task in front of it to finish modernizing before their population pyramid goes tits up, Hegemony starts at home, and unless the chicoms can continue to deliver on their end of the bargain, i'd be more worried about a Chinese collapse than an American one.

itt an incredibly rarefied wealthy suburbanite from McMansion Hell, NY informs us that history is over, actually and everything will be fine forever, just like it is right now

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Often Abbreviated posted:

itt an incredibly rarefied wealthy suburbanite from McMansion Hell, NY informs us that history is over, actually and everything will be fine forever, just like it is right now

Yeah, and ITT people who society left behind hope and pray for some kind of karmic justice where society burns to the ground and point at their own feelings as evidence it's about to happen

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

gobbagool posted:

Lol loving bullshit

"My rich, white NYC rear end is feeling pretty comfortable and I interact with a Muslim so it's all good"

Lol

Then I just repeatedly call everyone who expresses discontent a jealous bum like I'm some chud troll

Lol

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gobbagool posted:

Yes? Do you?

well now, what difference does it make in my case? I'll tell you why it matters in your case later if thats cool with you?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

gobbagool posted:

Finicums Wake said it better than i did. Sure, people have divergent opinions on politics, and might even get mad when they see something in their facebook feed about Trans bathrooms, or DACA, but they're not about to march in the street about it. Most normies are more angry that the Pats are in the Super Bowl again than they are about the breathless 24x7 RUSSIA COLLUSION story

while a ton of americans are tuned out or disengaged with the political process right now, i'm wary of projecting that, say, 20 years into the future. from what i can tell, long term economic trends, if they continue, will hollow out the middle class. that plus political polarization will create the conditions in which an otherwise fixable crisis—another 2008 style financial collapse, for example—forces these problems to be confronted, since they're so clolsely coupled. whether that'd cause a full scale civil war, or just a period more like the america of the 1920s :shrug:

my whole line of argument requires a number of things happening in a row, so if any chain in that link is broken or subject to countervailing forces, then i dont see things spiralling out of control. but since i do believe those long term trends exist, and are hard to counteract, i think the scenario above is plausible

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Jan 24, 2018

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
according to my gardener the poors are quite happy with their generous welfare and there are no problems at all

he's not my gardener really he's a contractor working for a vendor owned by my cousin hired by the HOA so he's lucky I talk to him at all

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Finicums Wake posted:

while a ton of americans are tuned out or disengaged with the political process right now, i'm wary of projecting that, say, 20 years into the future. from what i can tell, long term economic trends, if they continue, will hollow out the middle class. that plus political polarization will create the conditions in which an otherwise fixable crisis—another 2008 style financial collapse, for example—forces these problems to be confronted, since they're so clolsely coupled. whether that'd cause a full scale civil war, or just a period more like the america of the 1920s :shrug:

if you wanna be so blunt about it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
david runciman words

quote:

This is the crisis facing Western democracies: we don’t know what failure looks like anymore and we have no idea how much danger we are in. The language of failed states doesn’t fit the present moment because it conjures up images that are completely inappropriate for a society like the contemporary United States. There will be no widespread civil conflict, no tanks in the streets, no generals on television announcing that order has been restored. Trump’s victory has been greeted with some haphazard protests around the country, accompanied by sporadic violence. Had he been narrowly defeated, and then refused to concede, the story might have been different. But even then I find it hard to believe that civic order in the US would have broken down. The violence would doubtless have been greater and much of it would have been hateful. But widespread armed resistance to the regime is still very difficult to imagine. The US is nothing like the societies where we know what happens when politics falls apart, including Europe in the 1930s, which is often held up as a warning for what might be around the corner. Contemporary America is far more prosperous than other states where democracy has failed in the past, however unequally that prosperity is distributed. Its population is much older. Civil disorder tends to happen in societies where the median age is in the low twenties; in the US it is close to forty. Its young people are far better educated, or at least educated for much longer. Its levels of violence, though high by 21st-century European standards, are low by any historical measure. Its frustrations are those of a country where all this is true and yet still things are going badly wrong. These are First World problems. That doesn’t make them any less serious. It just makes it much harder to find historical precedents for what comes next.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

DiscountDildos posted:

Lol loving bullshit

"My rich, white NYC rear end is feeling pretty comfortable and I interact with a Muslim so it's all good"

Lol

Then I just repeatedly call everyone who expresses discontent a jealous bum like I'm some chud troll

Lol

not even NYC, the city that is to NYC as Sacramento is to LA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

gobbagool posted:

Yeah, and ITT people who society left behind hope and pray for some kind of karmic justice where society burns to the ground and point at their own feelings as evidence it's about to happen

i know you're just posting this in response to someone else being glib and dismissive, but its worth considering whether it looks like more and more people will be left behind, and, if that's the case, what they'll want to do about it

• Locked thread