Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Corbyn has some Olympian forearms

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/936853787523686401

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Did he seriously get interviewed

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Did he seriously get interviewed

There's something wrong about this cover photo. I guess it's that it's the exact same pose they make every other powerful man do for magazine covers, and doesn't feel genuinely Corbyny.

That's more like it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's also that they've given Corbyn the Berlusconi living waxwork look on that cover.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's something wrong about this cover photo. I guess it's that it's the exact same pose they make every other powerful man do for magazine covers, and doesn't feel genuinely Corbyny.

That's more like it.

lold

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

get that OUT of my face posted:

pick the US and Russia as team captains and have them pick out countries like playground kickball

I can't wait to see the equivalent of the weird kid and the fat(test) kid at the end.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
ah oui oui roman polanski!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dammit manny, you failed the "fancy wine or plate full of buffalo wings" test again!!! you really need to step up your game if you want to win the iowa state fair primary

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Literally just remembered about fillon + his wife, are they in jail now???

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Shear Modulus posted:

dammit manny, you failed the "fancy wine or plate full of buffalo wings" test again!!! you really need to step up your game if you want to win the iowa state fair primary

holy poo poo did u just confuse milk and wine sacre dieu !

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
honhonhon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/PaulineBock/status/955862046293274624

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

well it's about time, considering how many people are smoking weed in this country

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://twitter.com/Xeutrope/status/955863412529082369

I kinda wish my French class hadn't been a completely useless telephone teacher deal because I have to wonder what the gently caress

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Inescapable Duck posted:

I kinda wish my French class hadn't been a completely useless telephone teacher deal because I have to wonder what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj2Me-PXDig

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Il a activé son carte d'embuscade

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Xav missed him looking like a guy who's motioning his mate to rack up the next line but that's okay.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's absolutely bizarre that the overwhelming response to the success of legal weed hasn't had neoliberals everywhere going "legalize it"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lawman 0 posted:

It's absolutely bizarre that the overwhelming response to the success of legal weed hasn't had neoliberals everywhere going "legalize it"

Almost as if they're fans of the racist prison industry.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

:thunk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guy Goodbody posted:

not everywhere has the problem america does

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

Are you saying the French justice system isn't racist and doesn't imprison people of color at a massively disproportionate rate?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

You do all have an American problem though, which is why Uruguay had to suspend their experiment in legalizing weed. US laws made it impossible for them to do business with American banks.

It feels trite and cliche, but it really does come down to American imperialism.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

All it would take to change it is the EU changing it's banking laws though.
Also let's not forget that alot of these countries were more than enthusiastic to join the drug war.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
you’d think after all these dead nobles cspam would have at least a degree of admiration for the french justice system

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jBrereton posted:

Il a activé son carte d'embuscade

carte piège

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

you’d think after all these dead nobles cspam would have at least a degree of admiration for the french justice system

the french legal system is the brainchild of napoleon though

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

not to sound like a data driven neoliberal or anything, but idk if you can reasonably compare french racism to american racism, because the baseline experience in france is so diff from the baseline experience in the us that comparing negative experiences varying from that baseline—like being an oppressed person because of systemic bigotry—isnt really doäble

french baseline has far less imprisonment than american at all, it has universal healthcare as a right w possibly the best healthcare in the world, it exalts secularism almost fetishistically as opposed to the american love of religious accommodation—its real fuckin questionable to compare any one dimension of civil society between the two countries, since the overall structure of them is so divergent

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

carte piège
merci

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

One of Piketty's proteges

https://twitter.com/gabriel_zucman/status/956235880405942273

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Kurtofan posted:

the french legal system is the brainchild of napoleon though

napoleon did mostly nothing wrong

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Squizzle posted:

not to sound like a data driven neoliberal or anything, but idk if you can reasonably compare french racism to american racism, because the baseline experience in france is so diff from the baseline experience in the us that comparing negative experiences varying from that baseline—like being an oppressed person because of systemic bigotry—isnt really doäble

french baseline has far less imprisonment than american at all, it has universal healthcare as a right w possibly the best healthcare in the world, it exalts secularism almost fetishistically as opposed to the american love of religious accommodation—its real fuckin questionable to compare any one dimension of civil society between the two countries, since the overall structure of them is so divergent
this is why i think france is like bizarre alt-universe america

or america is like bizarre alt-universe france

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this is why i think france is like bizarre alt-universe america

or america is like bizarre alt-universe france

aujourdhui nous sommes tous américains :twisted:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
for example, it’s much harder to get shot dead with no warning by cops in france as a person of colour

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

for example, it’s much harder to get shot dead with no warning by cops in france as a person of colour
other than like pakistan or israel there aren't really any places with more police shootings than the US so that's not a particularly fair measure of racism.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

other than like pakistan or israel there aren't really any places with more police shootings than the US so that's not a particularly fair measure of racism.

The severity of police violence doesn't matter if you're evaluating the racist policies of the institution. If you're trying to tell if a police force is racist, then a disparity of outcomes in violence is pretty good. Assuming that because not that many people die means the authorities must not be that bad is how a soft police state asserts itself. Because the mortality rate is low does not mean there isn't brutalization.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

in terms of police shootings i'd look at venezuela, el salvador, guatemala, honduras.

also south africa.

i.e. compare to colonial societies.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

yeah, instead cops rape you

https://www.lesinrocks.com/2017/06/news/tu-te-rappelles-de-la-matraque-theo-raconte-les-moqueries-des-policiers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Did they attempt to slander you in the press afterwards.

• Locked thread