Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ATTENTION WEEABOOS!
FAST RMX is totally rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Aw I had some kind of delusion at work today that Iconoclasts had already come out on the Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Augus posted:

ATTENTION WEEABOOS!
FAST RMX is totally rad.

It’s very good. It’s also incredibly impressive visually for being an indie 3D game.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Autonomous Monster posted:

Konjak was already sick of making it in 2012. Six years on, I imagine he's just about ready to lose his mind. A Switch port is... generous, I have to say.

I've nearly finished it, and uh, it's something alright. Something soul-searingly bleak.

Almost every named character is dead. Black I had to kill myself, even though she probably deserved it least of anyone. Then I went to the moon with Royal, even though it was obviously a terrible idea, and then I had to- chose* to- abandon him to his death on the moon. So now the world's ending and there's no hope of stopping it, but I left my brother alone and begging me to stay with him and went out to try anyway, like an rear end in a top hat.

Now I'm stuck in a room with a little blue critter than is invulnerable to my entire arsenal. I'm not convinced this isn't the intended end of the game: dying impotently in a cave, without even the dignity of a boss fight.

*(Well, the first time I actually just sat there and ran out the clock, in a stubborn attempt to not leave him there on the floor while I ran for safety.)

If a Switch and Bone port actually do happen it'll be farmed out to a company that has the devkits. Like you say, Konjak is sick of working on it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Augus posted:

ATTENTION WEEABOOS!
FAST RMX is totally rad.

:yeah:

It is a Good Game.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I tried that dragon quest builders demo and liked it.

:same:

I went from not caring much about it to a day-one buy immediately

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Ometeotl posted:

Use Best Buy's program instead

I hate Best Buy because they promised me launch day delivery of my Switch and then it didn't arrive until the 6th and every time I called customer support about it I was hung up on. Finally I just asked them to refund my shipping and to speak to a supervisor over all the hang ups and the supervisor refused to refund my shipping and, you guessed it, hung up on me. loving hell. It was like five different people by the end. I was very polite at the beginning but yeah, by the end I was pissed. You still don't HANG UP ON THE CUSTOMER.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

chaleski posted:

:same:

I went from not caring much about it to a day-one buy immediately

Hold up.
Hasn't the sequel already been announced?
People are saying it's just the first game but bigger and better.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
where’s spelunky for switch Derek Yu

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Hold up.
Hasn't the sequel already been announced?
People are saying it's just the first game but bigger and better.

Yes but that doesn’t have a release date yet (aside from ‘2018’)

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

I've been playing BOTW for about a week and I didn't realize how much I was benefiting from the motion aiming until I played a non-Switch game for the first time since December and tilted the PS4 controller like a dummy trying to get a headshot. I think I finally understand how PC gamers feel when they try to aim with sticks.

Never would have thunk it but it seems there's actually something to motion aiming in non-gimmicky games. I wonder if there will be Switch versions of any big name FPS games that make good use of it. Switch rulez.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Lobster posted:

I hate Best Buy because they promised me launch day delivery of my Switch and then it didn't arrive until the 6th and every time I called customer support about it I was hung up on. Finally I just asked them to refund my shipping and to speak to a supervisor over all the hang ups and the supervisor refused to refund my shipping and, you guessed it, hung up on me. loving hell. It was like five different people by the end. I was very polite at the beginning but yeah, by the end I was pissed. You still don't HANG UP ON THE CUSTOMER.

That's the great thing about preorders: they've already got your money.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

chaleski posted:

Every Mario and Zelda are actually the worst games in their respective series

If you think about it, you can apply the Final Fantasy Rule to every video game series.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Do people really think Odyssey is the worst Mario game?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Beastie posted:

I think Mario Odyssey would have played better if Cappy was on some sort of cool down.

Jesus loving Christ

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Odyssey is my favorite Mario game. It's too much fun, the music is good, I like exploring the worlds, and the movement options are great. I don't know how anyone can be grumpy about the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think it drains the battery faster than my other games. Other than generally not being a kind of game I go wild about I don’t really have any other complaints.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I can definitely understand liking, say, Galaxy or Galaxy 2 more than Odyssey. Or even liking something like 3D World more, if that's more your style of Mario game than the exploration-based ones. But no way is Odyssey the worst Mario.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

no

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

- Mario 64: 100%
- Mario Sunshine: Liked it enough to try and get 100% I can't remember if I did.
- Mario Galaxy: Finished the story, didn't really care about Luigi so never even tried to get 100%
- Mario Galaxy 2: Played a couple of levels and eh
- Mario 3D Land: Finished the story, the hard worlds were too much for my hands and my 3ds.
- Mario Oddisey: On my way to 100%

Huh. I would have thought Mario Galaxy would have ranked better on my own list.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Seymour Buttz posted:

I've been playing BOTW for about a week and I didn't realize how much I was benefiting from the motion aiming until I played a non-Switch game for the first time since December and tilted the PS4 controller like a dummy trying to get a headshot. I think I finally understand how PC gamers feel when they try to aim with sticks.

Never would have thunk it but it seems there's actually something to motion aiming in non-gimmicky games. I wonder if there will be Switch versions of any big name FPS games that make good use of it. Switch rulez.

I was watching some old rear end Giant Bomb videos and when they had the Splatoon reveal from E3 2014, and said that the motion controls were "really natural and accurate" everyone snorted derisively. I would have had the same reaction, honestly, idk how they figured out "horizontal aiming with the right stick, fine tuning with motion controls" worked, but it does.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

gmq posted:

- Mario Sunshine: Liked it enough to try and get 100% I can't remember if I did.
- Mario Galaxy: Finished the story, didn't really care about Luigi so never even tried to get 100%
- Mario 3D Land: Finished the story, the hard worlds were too much for my hands and my 3ds.

i really recommend you try galaxy 2 again someday

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"Worst Mario" is still better than most platformers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh hey that Darkest Dungeon game you guys are always talking about is getting a physical release

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I have spoken to people, in public, with Zelda tattoos who have said, without irony, that BotW was "irredeemable trash that isn't worth being free, much less full price," so I'm sure someone thinks that Odyssey is just flawed beyond repair.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

gmq posted:

This is a really bad metric to rate a game on, I think there's only like, 3 games I've ever 100% completed

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Takoluka posted:

I have spoken to people, in public, with Zelda tattoos who have said, without irony, that BotW was "irredeemable trash that isn't worth being free, much less full price," so I'm sure someone thinks that Odyssey is just flawed beyond repair.

lol gamers are insane

I'm still waiting for the Unlikely Adventure of Rusty Pup to come out. It's been like 5 or 500 years.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
How is Salt and Sanctuary not on this yet? Or any of the Newgrounds games like Castle Crashers? They seem like no brainers, especially CC with the split Joycons and easy coop.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm starting to wonder if some of you even like video games and maybe need a new hobby. Or least a break from it.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

She looks 17 but actually she's over 100 years old furthermore

It seems to vary in different Zelda games but in BotW she seems to be older than usual, maybe late 20s and quite a bit older than link which itself is a little creepy.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

buffbus posted:

It seems to vary in different Zelda games but in BotW she seems to be older than usual, maybe late 20s and quite a bit older than link which itself is a little creepy.

they reference her 17th birthday in one of the flashback cutscenes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

People want a game where you play as Zelda but quite frankly I think a more progressive idea would be a game were Link destroys Zelda's monoarchy and puts an end to feudalism.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I was watching some old rear end Giant Bomb videos and when they had the Splatoon reveal from E3 2014, and said that the motion controls were "really natural and accurate" everyone snorted derisively. I would have had the same reaction, honestly, idk how they figured out "horizontal aiming with the right stick, fine tuning with motion controls" worked, but it does.
It works and feels natural because its how the human body operates for almost all tasks. It's so fundamental that we don't consciously think about it. Large movements by arms/legs/torso to get in the proper general orientation -> smaller movements by elbow/knee/wrist -> precision movements by the fingers/feet. For example, if you're typing and want to move the mouse cursor, you move your whole arm to roughly over where the mouse is, and then your wrist gets your fingers in place on the mouse, and then the fingers move the mouse very precisely. You're not even aware of all the individual steps you followed to achieve the result you wanted, but it all flowed together naturally.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Detective No. 27 posted:

People want a game where you play as Zelda but quite frankly I think a more progressive idea would be a game were Link destroys Zelda's monoarchy and puts an end to feudalism.

I think everyone would agree that a game where you play a Bokoblin organizer building a movement that ends with Zelda and her dog Link being executed and a people's republic declared would be better, but that doesn't mean BotW isn't a lot of fun

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

This is a really bad metric to rate a game on, I think there's only like, 3 games I've ever 100% completed

If I really enjoy a mario game I want to 100% it (because it means playing it for longer due to the way mario games work), I'm not sure what's the problem there.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

You play as Zelda in every game though...?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I know it'll never happen but I'd pay an embarrassing amount of money for a direct sequel to BotW where you play as this incarnation of Zelda fully indulging in her gadgeteer interests. Give her all the BotW runes and then instead of a wide variety of weapons, give her a bunch of Shiekah tech gadgets that she uses to fight and solve puzzles. Maybe she can borrow the Master Sword from Link--after all, she is the one who can hear its voice.

buffbus posted:

She's explicitly 17. Well, 17-and-then-in-stasis-for-100-years.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Possession was a gimmick where their abilities were obvious and what you had to do with them was even more obvious. You capture a bullet bill because you can’t get across the area or need to break a wall. You take over a tank because you need to shoot something. You take over a fish to swim. It wasn’t really that creative. Frankly I think they only went like 25% far enough with the concept. Maybe taking possession of a tank also let’s you store their ability for limited use later or maybe you could capture them Pokémon style to deploy. I don’t know. I felt like the two things you did in odyssey was hat/backflip jump or possess very temporarily for obvious effect. The fact that you can win without ever jumping says a lot.

In Super Mario Bros. you only ever go right. loving lazy uncreative garbage.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Darkest dungeons easiest difficulty is very good because while the combat remains almost the same as on normal it trims out a lot of the grinding, makes it easier to grind if you really want to, and doesn't really hurt the sense of accomplishment any.

Like, the game is very fun so running C and D teams through to get resources to patch up your A and B teams isn't bad, but since getting that gold is inevitable given enough time, cutting down on that grind is good. (I realize that logic can be stretched to absurd extremes, don't @ me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Functionally, possession is Odyssey's version of the classic power ups, so it isn't the wild and insane new feature I think some people act like it is. But it is something that goes further than power ups. For example, possessing a Fire Bro is similar to grabbing a fire flower, but with the difference that it also changes how you move and how your jump works (you even have a miniature double jump).

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The fact that you can win without ever jumping says a lot.

No it doesn't, because it relies on a technicality. You can't beat the game without ever jumping, but you can beat it without incrementing Toadette's jump counter. You do this because bouncing off Cappy doesn't count as a jump, and neither does any jump you do while you're in a capture. The "no jump" runs feature a lot of jumping, just not any normal jumps.

It also only counts getting the first ending. I don't think you could reach the Darker Side without ever using Mario's normal jump, and even if you could, you definitely couldn't finish it. And you 100% cannot get all of the moons without jumping because many of them require you not to use your hat, which means no captures and no Cappy bounces.

• Locked thread