Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

gmq posted:

If I really enjoy a mario game I want to 100% it (because it means playing it for longer due to the way mario games work), I'm not sure what's the problem there.

100%ing games is dumb. Play until you're not having fun, then stop playing. Whether or not you can press A one hundred times in a row has no bearing on whether the rest of the game is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ColdPie posted:

100%ing games is dumb. Play until you're not having fun, then stop playing. Whether or not you can press A one hundred times in a row has no bearing on whether the rest of the game is fun.

Yeah, and with most mario games I keep having fun to try and get 100%. I continue to not see the problem here. :thunk:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

Darkest dungeons easiest difficulty is very good because while the combat remains almost the same as on normal it trims out a lot of the grinding, makes it easier to grind if you really want to, and doesn't really hurt the sense of accomplishment any.

Like, the game is very fun so running C and D teams through to get resources to patch up your A and B teams isn't bad, but since getting that gold is inevitable given enough time, cutting down on that grind is good. (I realize that logic can be stretched to absurd extremes, don't @ me)

Honestly I never had any set favorite teams, training up at least one or two of each class and always mixing and matching was too much fun.

Only class that really fell off for me at endgame was the Antiquarian because while she's a good support, especially for riposte teams, there are better ones and even with her help riposting gets really risky in the hardest dungeons.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Reality Loser posted:

Yeah but is it good?

Sure I guess? I mean, it is clearly a game where very keen attention has been paid to how mechanics are communicated to the player. It has a visual language that is consistent and unambiguous without being intrusive. It's not perfect, but usually when I found myself frustrated it was more often because I'd missed some incredibly obvious cue ("Get down here, Mother, you coward!") than because the game was communicating poorly. The art is, always, flawless. I won't speak to difficulty, because I am officially Bad at Games- I suspect that any serious action game fan will chew through these bosses pretty quickly- but I found it generally satisfying.

But I'm having a hard just going "game good" because of how goddamn depressed the story is making me. Like, this is not pixel art Drakengard. But I still feel the need to cram the phrase "pixel art Drakengard" in here because I have rarely seen a game that is so relentlessly cynical about the nature of heroism and faith.

e: Game needs a thread.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Super Mario World: 96

:smug:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I want to play as Zelda with gadgets, but can it be Twilight Princess Zelda and not the whiny British one from BotW, please? Thanks in advance.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I played BotW for an extended period last night, it was the first I’ve played it since well before my son was born so at least 6 months. Game is sooooo loving good. Even after 120 hours, last night I was exploring areas I’d never explored before. Game is so good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Honestly I never had any set favorite teams, training up at least one or two of each class and always mixing and matching was too much fun.

Only class that really fell off for me at endgame was the Antiquarian because while she's a good support, especially for riposte teams, there are better ones and even with her help riposting gets really risky in the hardest dungeons.

Antiquarian is def only there to stack up the gold and treasure so later on she's not viable for anything. I forgot how loving powerful Bounty Hunter is until I got one for my team at the start. Hits like a truck every time, sometimes for even more guaranteed damage than Leper or Crusader. Doesn't have the utility or the tank defense as the other frontliners but as a 2nd-rank guy who can single out and destroy an enemy, he's the best.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Patricia Summerset's Zelda a lot, I think it's a really good performance. And it is not at all British or attempting to be British.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Super Mario World: 96

:smug:

ecin

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

buffbus posted:

It seems to vary in different Zelda games but in BotW she seems to be older than usual, maybe late 20s and quite a bit older than link which itself is a little creepy.

Why would it be creepy? He's essentially just her bodyguard. And he was basically promised to be wed to a character other than her.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 24, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

buffbus posted:

It seems to vary in different Zelda games but in BotW she seems to be older than usual, maybe late 20s and quite a bit older than link which itself is a little creepy.

She is explicitly 17 years old since one of the final memories takes place on her 17th birthday.

Link is like a year or two older than her according to some of the other memories.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Darkest dungeons easiest difficulty is very good because while the combat remains almost the same as on normal it trims out a lot of the grinding, makes it easier to grind if you really want to, and doesn't really hurt the sense of accomplishment any.

Like, the game is very fun so running C and D teams through to get resources to patch up your A and B teams isn't bad, but since getting that gold is inevitable given enough time, cutting down on that grind is good. (I realize that logic can be stretched to absurd extremes, don't @ me)

Yeah the mode sounds well-implemented. I'm just playing on Darkest my first playthrough because I'm reaaaally enjoying myself and don't mind stretching everything out to take longer. Radiant sounds more like an "accelerated" mode than it does an "easy" mode tho which is a smart idea

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Salt and Sanctuary isnt getting a port because it's real bad. Instead, we're getting a 3d Salt and Sanctuary, called Dark Souls.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is it possible to change difficulty on the fly in Darkest Dungeon?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

nope. there's only 3 difficulties anyway: normal, a faster gold+exp mode, and ballbreaker hellwretch mode with a timed failstate

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wildtortilla posted:

Nope. You can start without the DLC that makes things harder and then add it in later (but not remove it after doing so) but there's no way to change the actual difficulty setting on a file.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm usually someone who is alright with English dubs in animation/video games if it's available cause they're pretty good these days. (Subs in live action 100% of the time.)

I switched to the Japanese vocal track on my second BoTW playthrough and it's such a night and day difference in quality.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I want to play as Zelda with gadgets, but can it be Twilight Princess Zelda and not the whiny British one from BotW, please? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't call her whiny at all. Poor girl was just stuck playing a role she knows she's just not cut out for. The damnable thing about being an intelligent scientist is when she's told to sit and do spiritual rituals she can do them flawlessly a dozen times until frustration, but she just couldn't give in to the absolute devout belief necessary to make her powers awaken.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Welp i caved and bought pic-a-pax deluxe because I'm a picross addict. Theres two puzzles on the final screen that I can't complete because the game freezes for a solid minute every time I colour a square in.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

One of the harshest criticisms I heard someone say is that Odyssey is a tech demo for people to make actual good maps in Mario Maker 2. Ouch.

This isn't harsh criticism because it doesn't even make any sense

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Based on this headline I think some Gamespot writer is lurking this thread.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I like Patricia Summerset's Zelda a lot, I think it's a really good performance. And it is not at all British or attempting to be British.

What the heck are you talking about, Zelda clearly has a (fake) stereotypical Received Pronunciation accent. Summersett is not English, but that's clearly what she's trying to sound like.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't call her whiny at all.

Maybe whiny is the wrong word. Maybe wimpy is more like it. She sounds like an insecure, monotone doormat constantly on the verge of tears (made worse by the poor audio mixing that frequently drowns out her voice), and it makes me hate every single word that comes out of her mouth. This sounds more harsh than I really want to be on the game... I don't think Summersett performed badly as such, but I do think she's miscast and possibly misdirected.

Maybe it's just the image I always had in my mind of Zelda as being more, I dunno, headstrong than this?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What the heck are you talking about, Zelda clearly has a (fake) stereotypical Received Pronunciation English. Summersett is not English, but that's clearly what she's trying to sound like.

Maybe whiny is the wrong word. Maybe wimpy is more like it. She sounds like an insecure, monotone doormat constantly on the verge of tears (made worse by the poor audio mixing that frequently drowns out her voice), and it makes me hate every single word that comes out of her mouth. This sounds more harsh than I really want to be on the game... I don't think Summersett performed badly as such, but I do think she's miscast and possibly misdirected.

Maybe it's just the image I always had in my mind of Zelda as being more, I dunno, headstrong than this?

I mean, the whole point is the Zeldas are fundamentally different people even if they're reincarnations. She's different in every recent game.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Zore posted:

I mean, the whole point is the Zeldas are fundamentally different people even if they're reincarnations. She's different in every recent game.

All the more reason for me to want to play as the Twilight Princess incarnation and not the BotW one. :colbert:

(Or they could toughen her up a bit. That could work, maybe.)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

All the more reason for me to want to play as the Twilight Princess incarnation and not the BotW one. :colbert:

why the hell would you want to play as TP Zelda when there's a perfectly good Midna in that game

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Takoluka posted:

why the hell would you want to play as TP Zelda when there's a perfectly good Midna in that game

I mean the premise was a BotW sequel where you play as Zelda. Clearly Midna is best girl all games considered.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'd bet her experience over the course of 100 years holding back Gannon probably toughened her up quite a bit.

That said, if she was the primary player character in a Zelda game (which Nintendo's still pretty insistent will never happen, so that's how hypothetical this is), she'd probably be mute like Link anyway, maybe with some pithy dialog choices every now and again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The Twilight Princess version is a literal non-entity who spends the entirety of the game locked in a tower, then gets possessed by Ganon.

Like I struggle to think of a single personality trait you could even assign her.

Like at least pick Tetra, Skyward Sword Zelda or Ghost Zelda.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 24, 2018

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Zore posted:

The Twilight Princess version is a literal non-entity who spends the entirety of the game locked in a tower, then gets possessed by Ganon.

Like I struggle to think of a single personality trait you could even assign her.

demure, i suppose

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Windwaker Zelda best Zelda

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

yeah I hate playing as interesting characters with personalities too

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What the heck are you talking about, Zelda clearly has a (fake) stereotypical Received Pronunciation accent. Summersett is not English, but that's clearly what she's trying to sound like.

Did you watch any of the memories? Because your description of BotW Zelda... sounds like a completely different Zelda from what I saw.

She's a giant nerd who just wants to tinker with all this neat ancient technology the kingdom keeps unearthing, and can't because her father keeps insisting she learn how to awaken her hereditary power. Which she only doesn't know how to use because her mother died when she was like, 6, and never got to teach her any of it. So instead she has to wander around to various sacred sites and try her loving HARDEST to do rituals that just don't work for her for some reason, getting increasingly frustrated. Meanwhile, her assigned body guard also has a traditional role to fill, and he, to her eyes at least, just does everything he's supposed to be able to do flawlessly without a single drop of effort on his part. And it infuriates her.

She's quite sassy and funny in the memories, to boot. I love BotW Zelda.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Windwaker Zelda best Zelda

Nah, Wind Waker Zelda is a lame whitewashing. Tetra is the best, though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Pug Rodeo posted:

What’s your reasoning? I’m not a big fan of online shooters at all, but Splatoon is my exception.

From pages back. I live in a very rural area and the internet is terribly spotty. If there's not enough meat to Splatoon to play offline, then I will give it a pass.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Takoluka posted:

why the hell would you want to play as TP Zelda

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

Did you watch any of the memories? Because your description of BotW Zelda... sounds like a completely different Zelda from what I saw.

I'm talking about what she sounds like, not how she acts. I mean, that's part of the problem, right? She doesn't sound infuriated or even frustrated, she sounds sad. Those are very different emotions.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
This thread is 80% Zelda chat by volume

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Reality Loser posted:

This thread is 80% Zelda chat by volume

So start a different conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY