Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Punkbob posted:

I’d go with ingress-nginx(but not the one by nginx, inc) it’s a first class project of kubernetes and has good support. I’d really go with this both on prem and in the cloud as it’s the most full featured ingress controller at the moment.

The reason why I dislike k8s and traefik is that it isn’t well integrated into k8s yet and to run it in HA you’d need to standup your own key value store(consul or etcd). It’s config syntax also doesn’t use the native ingress resource last time I checked, which is a bummer, and it had no context for kubernetes specfic resources like secrets(used to store tls keys) or configmaps.

ingress-nginx it is, then! Thanks!

Ideally we'd have something like jwilder/nginx which I've been using casually at home for years now and love the simplicity of, but I guess this isn't a whole lot more complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Punkbob posted:

Mea culpa. I guess google just wasn’t worried about in transit and HIPAA peering. That’s a bummer that I misunderstood.

Still GKE is pretty dope, and you don’t have to wait for EKS. Also the rbac and google stuff is much easier then accomplishing the same with rear end/IAM.

But EKS hopefully should make kubernetes more turn key for more people.

yeah, sorry if i was rude. i get super concerned when anyone is making a compliance/security decision based on mistaken information, which there is a ton of around cloud services. combination of complexity of feature velocity :/.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
And he works for Amazon.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Stringent posted:

And he works for Amazon.

I do, and sorry if i sounded like i was shilling. if they had made the same statement about aws networking (which is also authenticated but not encrypted within the region) i would've corrected them because making policy/security decisions on incorrect information is harmful to just about everybody, including other cloud providers.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

EssOEss posted:

As in, some GUI options in the installer? If they just change runtime settings and do not affect the installer, I would simply do a post-MSI step that sets the appropriate regkeys or whatnot.

These are all just GUI options, yes. A few are represented via switches, but most are not. Specific stuff like enabling or disabling features or creating services are a pain in particular. If I go and set the system’s environment variables in advance, it solves some of the issues. AutoIT is getting the job done, but I’m interested in the registry tool someone mentioned. Just doing vanilla silent installs and then tweaking the registry may be the better option in the long run.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
For a machine that is part of an auto scaling group, how do you make sure filebeat had a chance to send everything to logstash before the machine goes bye bye?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You’ll probably want to use an ASG Lifecycle hook and write some scripts to do the validation like checking for last modification times.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Problem: $work wants to "use Jenkins" to parse poo poo from an XML file and use it to send another as a restful POST to something, according to some schedule, then have some kind of report visible to a user based on the response from said endpoint, for the purposes of scheduled test automation. It's reading the file for params for the tests to run then asking the service on the other side of the endpoint to run said job.

I've used TeamCity before, and even set it up once, but just "check a distro, kick off a build when poo poo changes, unit tests, then some deploy script." Jenkins is something I used once at home to magically just make "oh I see you committed, I'll run build deploy" and since I said I did that months ago I'm now the expert. I also push for automation when possible so here I am.

Is Jenkins the way to go with this? Are plugins available that would make this easy? Is this a XY problem? I do not yet have any real requirements at all, they just want a proof of concept that this can be used in this way.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jenkins is an alright cron, but it's also potentially overkill. I say potentially because it does give you nice stuff like 'some schlub can just go look at the last job report', and the ability to like use it for other things (builds, deploys).

Your use case is also satisfied with cron and email of course, so really depends on your org and future plans.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
For background, I'm at a cable company, that just bought another cable company, and my boss is new, and I'm even newer. So there's no real requirements yet, this seems to be proof-of-concept fishing. I also haven't done any automation work like this in ages so I feel incredibly rusty.

What's the idiomatic way to get this out the door? I'm brand new to Jenkins and I've never green-fielded anything like this before. I'm sponging documentation but I hate not having anything to show.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Space Whale posted:

What's the idiomatic way to get this out the door? I'm brand new to Jenkins and I've never green-fielded anything like this before. I'm sponging documentation but I hate not having anything to show.
The best way to do anything in Jenkins is to keep as much logic as you can outside of Jenkins. Write your XML parser jawn in whatever language you want. Add a Jenkinsfile to that repo with one stage that just does sh 'myscript.rb' or whatever. Then add a Pipeline job in Jenkins, give it a schedule, and point it at your repo. Bada bing bada boom, you have a working process that can be easily productionized elsewhere.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Do not use a Jenkins plugin for anything other than integrating with Jenkins itself.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
There’s always the thorny issue of needing an SCM plugin like Github or Bitbucket if you want to use Jenkins multi-branch pipelines. But after seeing how the Bitbucket plugin starts to cause socket leaks gradually somehow in the Jenkins master (varying upon branch scanning frequency and number of branches on average per repo it appears) I’m inclined to believe that even using those plugins is too much for a sane, scalable Jenkins server to handle without me rebooting or restarting it weekly and HA it around with some horrific NFS backed Jenkins home directory. It’s kinda scary how my current place with 1/4 the number of developers as my last place easily quadruples the commit / build frequency as my last place and shows the warts of Jenkins’ master nodes far faster as a result.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
tbh you'd probably be better off with a python script and a cron job and an http server (if you wanna be fancy, put it all in docker containers)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've got packer job that cranks out AMIs. Each AMI it creates has unique SSH host keys. This makes it kinda hard to manage the ~/.ssh/known_hosts file. Should part of the packer build be placing a known SSH host key on the machine? So in effect, every AMI it produces has the same SSH host key (these are all private AMIs)

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Jenkins to schedule a .bat (I'm in windows) to then call a ruby script ~~on my machine~~ works. The actual Jenkins server/environment that already exists I have no access to nor any contact with the team that wanted this proof of concept.

lol

As far as "reporting" or "a dashboard" - the thing done by the ruby script is to call another server with a REST call that puts XML in a JSON (lol again) to "run these automated tests." These automated tests are not build tests, rather, integration tests to make sure all manner of devices that use our network actually work. It's cool but outside of scope*.

To get status of the job, you make another REST call - a get with the test job ID. So, you'd need to periodically keep hitting it and get status and if it's done then say "I'm done" :haw:

Obviously a ruby script can just loop and then "if response is that it's done, bust out of that loop." My question is how do I have Jenkins act as some sort of a dashboard for that. Just use stdout from the ruby script?

Because I have no clear requirements, I'm still just scratching my head. I'm not even sure what the people with Jenkins are doing except for the fact that they do use it for builds and would like to have daily/whatever test runs. OK fine. But I should be able to talk to them and see their environment.

*The testing I do involves an IR transmitter with IR-fibers taped to rokus, set top boxes, Xboxes, and so on simulating a remote and going through channel guides and channel switching on the STBs, roku channels and authentication (including ocr for the codes) and yadda yadda. Kinda cool. Basically every HO/CO has one of these test machines to catch outages and to test the rollout of new poo poo so the internet and tv stays on. This is the testing called by the ruby script called by Jenkins. We already have this implemented with automated builds for CI, I guess they just want to hit a machine daily too on top of that for some reason?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I talked my boss in to kubernetes, he sold my boss on it and got our CTO jumping out of his seat pointing at the screen in the board room; halp;

We're a 2003 era Java company, GitHub is like Jesus, kubernetes is like having a conversation with God himself. Oh God, oh God.

Our app is a fancy Java CRUD app that scales horizontally very well.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
You're hosed unless you have a massively forward-thinking ops team who will manage your cluster(s).

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Are you running everything on-prem? Node management of k8s is a pain in the rear end, but if they're gung-ho and willing to throw bucks at it maybe look @ Tectonic or RH Openshift? How big of a cluster are we talking about here?

If you're in AWS, use kops until Amazon EKS hits GA and move over to that. If you're in Google, lucky you, because GKE is the poo poo and does all the node poo poo for you really easily.

If your application isn't _already_ containerized in Docker then yeah, you bit off a big chunk. First-pass containerization + orchestration in k8s is pretty steep. Get the poo poo running on a macbook with Docker CE Edge w/ Kubernetes enabled before doing anything else.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

I talked my boss in to kubernetes, he sold my boss on it and got our CTO jumping out of his seat pointing at the screen in the board room; halp;

We're a 2003 era Java company, GitHub is like Jesus, kubernetes is like having a conversation with God himself. Oh God, oh God.

Good luck! Honestly the hard part is docker at this point and then getting used to all the concepts. You can pretty much convert to using gke or deploying on kops on AWS in a week if you know what you are doing and your poo poo is dockerized.

On Prem is a bit harder(although not that hard) and openshift is kind of heavily bifurcated from kubernetes in a way that I’d avoid. Tectonic is closer to mainline kubernetes.

Also the comment about your Ops team is important, if they are gonna be a bunch of babies or negative nancies then welcome to a shitshow.

Edit: I went back and looked at you old posts you are in AWS already with kops so this should be easy. PM if you want to bounce ideas or I can point you to a few slacks that be able to help you with questions.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 24, 2018

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Just get the java app working in Lambda and go serverless.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Space Whale posted:

Obviously a ruby script can just loop and then "if response is that it's done, bust out of that loop." My question is how do I have Jenkins act as some sort of a dashboard for that. Just use stdout from the ruby script?
Are you running jenkins 2.X? If so, yes. A pipeline script is exactly what you're looking for. Just use the built-in "stage" functionality to have pretty green / red boxes, derived from either script exit codes or string scraping or whatever you want. Sadly this requires access to jenkins which you don't have(?)

https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 24, 2018

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Moving a monolithic Java application is typically a problem not because of Java but because the typical company writing in Java is simply not going to be able to deploy anything remotely modern and fitting the patterns that Kubernetes really needs for you to be successful. I have tried to do the migration steps just to get applications somewhat stateless and monitored at about 15 different companies / customers now and basically all of them are failures for cultural reasons rather than some technical reason that keeps them stuck on 90s style J2EE app servers. I’ve seen monolithic Django apps failed to move to Docker containers, similarly.

If it requires more than about 30% of the code to be changed, you are empirically better off completely rewriting the application. I really want to find that paper but I’ve seen it before and it was eye-opening just how hard it is to maintain and migrate software systems.

Go greenfield with K8S in such companies or don’t even try. I really mean it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Punkbob posted:

deploying on kops on AWS in a week if you know what you are doing

Kops has a lot of weird edge cases that are show-stoppers when they crop up like slotting into pre-existing infrastructure-as-code or using pre-existing bastion hosts. Also it's not CI friendly in any way.

It made me sad 'cause the dev team is super nice and helpful, they just built it to fit their use case and then had to do a bunch of work to make it more generalized.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blinkz0rz posted:

Kops has a lot of weird edge cases that are show-stoppers when they crop up like slotting into pre-existing infrastructure-as-code or using pre-existing bastion hosts. Also it's not CI friendly in any way.

It made me sad 'cause the dev team is super nice and helpful, they just built it to fit their use case and then had to do a bunch of work to make it more generalized.

I completely agree and think it’s a larger issue with the kube community. But I also sort of agree with their perspectives and think that a lot of orthodoxy needs to be questioned in how infra is handled.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

necrobobsledder posted:

I have tried to do the migration steps just to get applications somewhat stateless and monitored at about 15 different companies / customers now and basically all of them are failures for cultural reasons rather than some technical reason
i'm 0 for 3 as well.

Cerberus911
Dec 26, 2005
Guarding the damned since '05
Kops has been an interesting experience. 6 months ago I would have recommended against it unless you were forced to use it, but with their 1.8 release they've made great improvements for customizing your deployments.

I like the direction they're going but once EKS comes out I would take a serious looks at that if you have to run on AWS.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Cerberus911 posted:

Kops has been an interesting experience. 6 months ago I would have recommended against it unless you were forced to use it, but with their 1.8 release they've made great improvements for customizing your deployments.

I like the direction they're going but once EKS comes out I would take a serious looks at that if you have to run on AWS.
Kubespray is a fairly slick alternative. (Agreed on EKS.)

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Bhodi posted:

Are you running jenkins 2.X? If so, yes. A pipeline script is exactly what you're looking for. Just use the built-in "stage" functionality to have pretty green / red boxes, derived from either script exit codes or string scraping or whatever you want. Sadly this requires access to jenkins which you don't have(?)

https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/

In a half hour I'm finally calling the guy wanting me to do that and actually getting requirements :stonk:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
The guy having the call wanted me to just do it on the spot in the course of 30 minutes on the spot, over webex.

:wtc:

Apparently we already have a script running system that does this and he just doesn't know how to use it. So Jenkins is some magic bullet some manager heard and nobody realizes all it would do is fire off a script I'd have to write, it's not some magical test management system. And gently caress maintaining scripts, we already have a system we wrote to do this.

I have to talk to my boss and explain this is already doable. I drug in the new PM/Scrum/etc person of many hats and she just looked lost and confused the entire time but can corroborate what I saw so people know I'm not lying, because this is unbelievable.

edit: most sr dev here is pissed because our new test execution engine is coming out really soon and does what they want and they don't want to wait so I'm wasting time on old bs.

fgsfds

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 27, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Huh we went from... no AWS, no docker, no Kubernetes to... One kubernetes cluster for ops, one kubernetes cluster for our reporting team, this month; and a third kubernetes cluster in Prod (really, a limited customer facing late-stage alpha) in mid-february. :sweatdrop:

RIght now we're using kops 1.8.x to manage/create the clusters, as my friend describes it "a high leverage tool" injecting a cluster in to an existing VPC on it's own subnet(s) seems to work, and we have some existing infrastructure-as-code tectonic stuff that a contractor sort of maintains and I think my kops stuff makes him mildly irritated but kops has an "Export as Terraform" option so... I guess I'll just do that, and then merge that in to our terraform codebase? Haven't figured that part out yet. I'd prefer to just spin these things up in their own VPC as god intended.

So, kops to deploy/maintain the cluster; nginx-ingress to handle reverse proxy; kube-lego for SSL. I've spun up prometheus and grafana but haven't had a chance to wire them up or anything. Will have to back in to RBAC, right now everything is controlled from either my user or a helm/tiller user.

Do we have a kubernetes thread yet? Or is this it?

Boss really wants to get us out of this managed server hell and in to AWS; we're using this as a beachead to get there so things are moving pretty fast.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
We're doing the same. We've gone from 0 to Ceph+3 Kubernetes clusters (dev, test, prod) in about 2 weeks, and we're going full-tilt towards getting our applications container-native over the next two months. We opted for kubespray over kops since we're running big swaths of our infrastructure on-premises, though.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Huh we went from... no AWS, no docker, no Kubernetes to... One kubernetes cluster for ops, one kubernetes cluster for our reporting team, this month; and a third kubernetes cluster in Prod (really, a limited customer facing late-stage alpha) in mid-february. :sweatdrop:

RIght now we're using kops 1.8.x to manage/create the clusters, as my friend describes it "a high leverage tool" injecting a cluster in to an existing VPC on it's own subnet(s) seems to work, and we have some existing infrastructure-as-code tectonic stuff that a contractor sort of maintains and I think my kops stuff makes him mildly irritated but kops has an "Export as Terraform" option so... I guess I'll just do that, and then merge that in to our terraform codebase? Haven't figured that part out yet. I'd prefer to just spin these things up in their own VPC as god intended.

So, kops to deploy/maintain the cluster; nginx-ingress to handle reverse proxy; kube-lego for SSL. I've spun up prometheus and grafana but haven't had a chance to wire them up or anything. Will have to back in to RBAC, right now everything is controlled from either my user or a helm/tiller user.

Do we have a kubernetes thread yet? Or is this it?

Boss really wants to get us out of this managed server hell and in to AWS; we're using this as a beachead to get there so things are moving pretty fast.

I’d switch from kube-lego to cert-manager, it’s by the same folks but is a better spin on what kube-lego does and has features like using dns verification so you don’t have to expose everything to the world.

Edit: the team that uses kops does do the terraform export, but it’s one of the things that I don’t understand why they do it or fight so hard with it besides just really liking terraform.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 27, 2018

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i just wrapped up a big project consulting on a failed migration from self hosted to k8s-on-aws. i think they would have probably succeeded if they'd done self hosted k8s (or openshift) or just straight self hosted to aws but where they ended up was a huge mess

i'm reserving judgement on aws eks until it's actually ga but i think right now k8s on aws is a mistake unless you need to also support self hosted k8s or you are starting from something easily ported to k8s (like all your applications are already running in docker in production). almost every legacy project is going to have a hard enough time moving to aws rds/aws ec2/aws ecs/... without also throwing docker and k8s into the mix

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I migrated dozens of JVM services to Kubernetes without much effort or pain, but they were all stateless to begin with and containerizing them was easy too.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
On prem kube should be harder to do mostly because so much native functionality isn’t there. I am genuinely confused on how it would work better on prem then in AWS. I’d like to know what went wrong.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

the talent deficit posted:

i just wrapped up a big project consulting on a failed migration from self hosted to k8s-on-aws. i think they would have probably succeeded if they'd done self hosted k8s (or openshift) or just straight self hosted to aws but where they ended up was a huge mess

i'm reserving judgement on aws eks until it's actually ga but i think right now k8s on aws is a mistake unless you need to also support self hosted k8s or you are starting from something easily ported to k8s (like all your applications are already running in docker in production). almost every legacy project is going to have a hard enough time moving to aws rds/aws ec2/aws ecs/... without also throwing docker and k8s into the mix

Do you have a debrief of what went wrong? There is so much kubernetes running on AWS that they made a service specifically to help more people use it on AWS. Our TAMs were happy they pushed the kubernetes service so fast because it was blowing up their time from enterprises.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AWWNAW posted:

I migrated dozens of JVM services to Kubernetes without much effort or pain, but they were all stateless to begin with and containerizing them was easy too.

java -jar thing.jar was containerization before it was cool

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Punkbob posted:

On prem kube should be harder to do mostly because so much native functionality isn’t there. I am genuinely confused on how it would work better on prem then in AWS. I’d like to know what went wrong.

My team runs 20 or so k8s clusters. In the past few months we've started building hardware clusters in our data centers, as we can requisition hardware and holy poo poo are they nice. Way more capacity, globally routable pods and services (using kube-router with bgp). It's opening up k8s to a lot of teams that were previously blocked by having to go through an ingress to reach services.

We do our own cluster provisioning with chef, and it was not a big deal to change our recipes to support both hardware and vm clusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I do openshift if anyone wants help with that.