Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

My partner and I got into this game pretty unexpectedly (never into board or cardgames before) and absolutely love it. Don't even bother with the roleplaying aspect, but find the cooperation and difficulty to be addicting. Bummed I have to shell out :10bux: minimum for each expansion, but intrigued by the prospect of building an ongoing campaign. Only have the core so far, so any recommendations for where to go next?

Tried to branch out into other two-player games with 7 Wonders Dual, but found it a bit basic in comparison. Can anybody recommend other games of similar complexity and excitement?

Similarly, is Android: Netrunner even worth looking into or to be avoided at all costs?

That's a hell of a gateway game! Check out Gloomhaven or Mage Knight, they're both heavy, thematic card-based rpg-lites that are excellent.

When you want complex and flavorful genre tailored for two players there's no other place to check but the wargames thread, but I am aware it's a bit of galaxy brain slice of the boardgames family. On the other hand, it is the galaxy brain slice of the boardgames family. Be sure to check out Twilight Struggle at least, which was a breakout hit dominating the BGG charts for like a decade (it's now also available on Steam).

PS. Netrunner is excellent, but a bitch to get into for various reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Wait, Netflix got a cooperative expansion? I thought it got a campaign expansion that was still 1v1.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

My partner and I got into this game pretty unexpectedly (never into board or cardgames before) and absolutely love it. Don't even bother with the roleplaying aspect, but find the cooperation and difficulty to be addicting. Bummed I have to shell out :10bux: minimum for each expansion, but intrigued by the prospect of building an ongoing campaign. Only have the core so far, so any recommendations for where to go next?

Tried to branch out into other two-player games with 7 Wonders Dual, but found it a bit basic in comparison. Can anybody recommend other games of similar complexity and excitement?

Similarly, is Android: Netrunner even worth looking into or to be avoided at all costs?

Releases have slowed, but LOTR LCG is still a fantastic 2-player co-op game, especially if you just want to move through the releases at your own pace with a friend. I started playing LOTR last year and recently also got into AH, and though I know a lot of people prefer the latter, I actually like LOTR more.

LOTR is similar in many ways to AH, but you have a team of three heroes instead of one under your control; the combat and movement are a bit more abstract; deckbuilding is a bit more important; and the roleplaying element is way less prominent. One thing I like about LOTR is that you can build a deck and just drop into any scenario whenever you feel like it, since outside of specialized campaigns there's no such thing as gaining experience and upgrading cards.

If you like the cooperation and difficulty of AH but don't really care about the roleplaying aspect, you might actually end up liking LOTR more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Weird rear end product release

https://t.co/lQegkI8JIE

Like why put effort in designing and devoting an SKU to expanding the core campaign? Weird.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Do you bother to sleeve your cards, and if so, which ones? I've sleeved the small character cards since I would destroy them trying to flip on a regular basis, but any others seem like it would just get in the way.

I use KMC Perfect Fit and sleeve everything, as God intended

Bottom Liner posted:

Like why put effort in designing and devoting an SKU to expanding the core campaign? Weird.

66 cards is about the same size as a standalone pack (e.g. Rougarou), but by throwing in the ~deluxe box~ they're able to charge us $25 for it instead of $15

FFG in a nutshell

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Bottom Liner posted:

It looks like it's basically the AH equivalent of a Nightmare deck for the LOTR LCG. These were designed to make old, easy quests challenging again by including upgraded enemies and treachery cards but no new player cards.

Given the nature of power creep in LCGs it's not exactly surprising that they would do this, but it does seem a little early to be doing so for AH...

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 9, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It includes some number of player cards too, which bugs me because I don't really care about the expanded quests or box.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Soothing Vapors posted:

I use KMC Perfect Fit and sleeve everything, as God intended

These are about as cheap as Mayday sleeves, are they better??

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Uh oh are they doing the 'each faction gets one new card' thing like other LCGs have in their faction-based big boxes? I might become a part of the problem this time, since other than that I think I'd like this box very much.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

That's a hell of a gateway game! Check out Gloomhaven or Mage Knight, they're both heavy, thematic card-based rpg-lites that are excellent.

When you want complex and flavorful genre tailored for two players there's no other place to check but the wargames thread, but I am aware it's a bit of galaxy brain slice of the boardgames family. On the other hand, it is the galaxy brain slice of the boardgames family. Be sure to check out Twilight Struggle at least, which was a breakout hit dominating the BGG charts for like a decade (it's now also available on Steam).

PS. Netrunner is excellent, but a bitch to get into for various reasons.
Twilight Struggle was definitely next on my list. Gloomhaven is starting to look like the Infinite Jest of board games, but I may consider it down the line if it works well for two players.

Is there anything discouraging about Android if you never plan to go anywhere near tournament play? Especially if they reconfigure things to make me purchase even less sets (am I getting that right?).

COOL CORN posted:

They protect against huskiness and a dirt.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Is there anything discouraging about Android if you never plan to go anywhere near tournament play? Especially if they reconfigure things to make me purchase even less sets (am I getting that right?).

The game is
a) a bit too fond of its own terminology, making the rulebook a bit annoying (discard piles having two separate names for each player, neither of which is 'discard' - stuff like that),
b) it's fairly dependent on cardpool knowledge.

As in, if you'd play Magic your opponent just drops a monster with some numbers and abilities you can read and you can get by with just a very general feel of what each of the factions does.

Netrunner, with all of it's bluffing is a bit heavier on playing around certain things. Like, knowing what's the worst case scenario if you just keep running against a certain corporation having certain amount of money available. While it's okay if you're learning the game with a friend together, and therefore at a roughly same rate, it can lead to some discouraging bullshit early on - in the original core set (not sure about the current one) pretty much every faction had some super-important card or two that can turn a game, leading to some very unsatisfying defeats if you don't know what to expect.

It's well worth sticking to, though. If you don't mind being involved in several collectible games at once, that is.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

COOL CORN posted:

I like them more than Maydays, the fit is always perfect (:haw:) and they hold up to shuffling very well

They're not significantly different, though

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Weirdly specific question:

I love Arkham Horror a lot and own a ton of it in anticipation of playing with my friends....who are pretty much all moving / have moved away.

Is there anyone who ran through stuff solo and then super wished they hadn’t when they got stuff to a table with a regular group? Does it diminish the experience with a group of you already know a lot of the gimmicks?

I’m sitting here on 8000 Netrunner cards I can’t play by myself and side eyeing something to do in the meantine :v

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

And I guess by extension if there’s anyone in the East Bay of the SF Bay Area with a bunch of expacs & packs who has also been sitting there going “man I wish I had friends” feel free to hmu :v:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think it all comes down to personal play style. I am not a min/maxer by any stretch of the imagination, and I dislike quarterbacking, so when I'm playing a scenario with friends that I've played before (solo or otherwise), I really love to see their reactions to the gimmicks and how they deal with it.

In a more explicit manner, this may involve me taking either sub-optimal moves while quietly pretending I don't know what's coming, or just not explaining the entirety of my strategy/the reason for my actions to the other unwitting players in an effort to not spoil the surprise. It helps that there's an element of light roleplaying to the game, which allows me to sometimes excuse my actions as thematic rather than strategically sound.

On the flip side, I love playing scenarios solo and then introducing other players to them, because sometimes a first playthrough of a scenario can be confusing due to the introduction of new rules and mechanics and knowing ahead of time how they work makes the experience way smoother for everyone.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Quidthulhu posted:

Does it diminish the experience with a group of you already know a lot of the gimmicks?

In my experience this pales in comparison to how many times we’ve cocked up the rules of a scenario because it was our first go and we didn’t figure out quite how the mechanics were supposed to work out until later. A Phantom of Truth had us all baffled because we sidn’t know there were two Agenda 2 cards and used the wrong one.

My new plan is to keep a separate solo campaign going and test out each scenario before playing with the group.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's okay. First you play to go 'woooah' and then again to giggle in anticipation of your friends going 'woooah'. Also, the foreknowledge helps you set them up for maximum fuckery (e.g. making Daisy the lead in Rougarou) and make cryptic prophecies about their poor choices.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Guess I know what I’m doing this weekend! Thanks, goons~

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Has anyone seen complete spoilers for the player cards from The Pallid Mask? It’s supposed to release tomorrow, but I’ve only seen two cards from the set.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Prairie Bus posted:

Has anyone seen complete spoilers for the player cards from The Pallid Mask? It’s supposed to release tomorrow, but I’ve only seen two cards from the set.

pallid mask spoilers https://imgur.com/gallery/MIKnO

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Just saw that. They look cool, I really like the new skill cards. Eureka will be great for my Minh deck.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I just found this thread! I've been playing for about a year now with the same group of friends but I've never found anyone else who plays. There are 4-5 of us who split the cost of the cards, so we always have the most up to date cardpool without blowing a ton of money each.

Since we've got a full crew for nearly every game our decks end up being pretty different from the solo decks I've seen online. The large group allows for much more specialized builds on certain characters, which is necessary since it's a very competitive group and we always play at least on Hard Mode. For awhile we played the "grim rule" very harshly, so that all choices had to be made the worst option. Needless to say we didn't win every game. Playing without the strict grim rule but still on Hard we were able to beat the Core, Dunwich, and Carcosa to date without losing any investigators. At some point we're going to go back and play the early campaigns on Expert with top tier decks once the card pool has expanded. Definitely a min/max group of players.

The Pallid Mask cards are interesting. I'm not sure the newest upgraded Emergency Cache isn't a trap card though. The extra money is good, and the token thing could be abused pretty well, but losing the card draw from the 2xp version might be too big a loss. So many decks are reliant on churning through cards to get to their good stuff that it may not be as useful as it appears.

The upgraded Chance Encounter is awesome though. Red decks tend to run out of high XP cards late in the campaigns, and the go-to is Red Gloved Man. Obviously you run the base Chance Encounter so you can recur the RGM back into play, but you lose him for the following mythos phase when getting him that way. The upgraded version doesn't have the "discard at end of round" clause, so you get to keep him through that phase when he can soak up all that nasty horror and damage, plus help you with skill checks if you chose his stats wisely.

Currently we're playing through Carcosa on a 1 game per week schedule. It's my first time through Carcosa, enjoying it so far. Two of the guys have played through the scenarios released already, but they're good about not spoiling anything. I'm using Pete and relying heavily on allies, hence the Chance Encounter analysis above. So far we've been crushing the XP gathering, so we're doing pretty well on upgrades. There have been a few dicey Delve Too Deep moments but we've managed it carefully. For this team my role is the generalist, getting extra clues as needed, and/or killing the lower strength enemies as possible. I'll never be the burst damage character or burst clues character.

One of my favorite parts of playing with this group of friends is that we design the whole team together, so everyone has input on everyones' decks.

The team together looks like this:

Yorick: 100% murder, too dumb to investigate. Specializes in super efficiently killing small mobs. Will build towards better burst damage late game.
Akachi: 75% murder, 25% clues. Can do massive burst damage but inconsistent because she's reliant on a few important cards.
Sefina: 60/40 murder to investigate. Somewhat of an experimental deck but it's worked so far. Had to get out a probability calculator to build this one well.
Pete: 50/50 murder/investigate. Efficient at both tasks but can't burst either. Will continue to abuse allies as build progresses. Calling In Favors has turbocharged Pete lately, previously he ran out of steam late campaign relative to other characters.
Norman Withers: 90% investigate, 10% frantically defends himself. He's definitely getting some mileage out of the "top card is always revealed" ability. (sorry no decklist handy)

Our A-team setup has been a little different. Generally we have Mark and Rex for burst damage and burst clues respectively, and Jim make all the scary late campaign skill checks with high confidence. With the super specialized characters we usually have to have someone babysit Rex since he's built so investigate-focused that he can't defend himself against even the weakest mobs. The tradeoff is that he can get 8 clues in a turn frequently and consistently.

Our 4 investigator Dunwich team was Mark, Yorick, Jim, and Rex. It worked great, I don't think we took more than a couple trauma across the whole team.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Prairie Bus posted:

Just saw that. They look cool, I really like the new skill cards. Eureka will be great for my Minh deck.

Do you have a list for your Minh deck? I haven't tried too hard to build one but haven't seen a good one yet.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

The upgraded Chance Encounter is awesome though. Red decks tend to run out of high XP cards late in the campaigns, and the go-to is Red Gloved Man. Obviously you run the base Chance Encounter so you can recur the RGM back into play, but you lose him for the following mythos phase when getting him that way. The upgraded version doesn't have the "discard at end of round" clause, so you get to keep him through that phase when he can soak up all that nasty horror and damage, plus help you with skill checks if you chose his stats wisely.

One thing I've been meaning to try out is using Chance Encounter and Calling In Favours together with the Red Gloved Man and Charisma. Chance Encounter gets the RGM back into play, and then Calling In Favours gets it back into your hand ready for a full usage, while also putting the two resources spent onto another ally. Then with Charisma, you can fire him back off again without overwriting your new ally. You'll even get to use the RGM for one action in-between those two events.

Granted you need to find two cards rather than one, but you get four more RGM actions rather than two.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Do you have a list for your Minh deck? I haven't tried too hard to build one but haven't seen a good one yet.

I’ll pull it up when I get home, but the core of it is skill cards and card draw. Two copies of Guts, Perception, Manual Dexterity, etc., along with Preposterous Sketches. I went after Cryptic Research and Higher Education first. She’s support/clue hound in a three player game, so I can rely on Mark and Akachi to handle most monsters. Her play is pretty straight forward - pitch skill cards all over the place so you can dig until you hit Analytical Mind. She can usually get one good hit/evade in, but she’s a little vulnerable if isolated. We just played A Phantom of Truth and I was able to consistently be up four on almost all of my checks.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ubik_Lives posted:

One thing I've been meaning to try out is using Chance Encounter and Calling In Favours together with the Red Gloved Man and Charisma. Chance Encounter gets the RGM back into play, and then Calling In Favours gets it back into your hand ready for a full usage, while also putting the two resources spent onto another ally. Then with Charisma, you can fire him back off again without overwriting your new ally. You'll even get to use the RGM for one action in-between those two events.

Granted you need to find two cards rather than one, but you get four more RGM actions rather than two.

That's exactly where my Pete deck is headed, I just don't have enough XP points yet.

Check out the link to it in my last big post. I'll be adding Charisma for tonight's game and the first RGM in the next hopefully.

The combo you're getting at works best if the cheap allies have come-into-play effects like Research Librarian and Art Student. We've been calling that set of cards the Expendable package.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
My current Dunwich Pete is a full on Scooby gang.

I have 2x Charisma and end up wandering around missions with Pete, Duke, Other Pete, and two of either Dr. Armitage, Dr. Morgan or Aquinnah.

It's also a Dark Horse build, so Peter and Morgan provide additional passive boosts, while Peter + Forbidden Knowledge and Armitage provide on-demand resources. Pete works well with Aquinnah and Forbidden Knowledge, because he can re-ready them in a pinch, and he can use Calling in Favours from the word go because of Duke (also letting your discard any damage on Duke), though really just to search for other allies since you want to get Duke back in play ASAP.

The only other asset is the one magnifying glass shared between the five of them, and deck falls back on the usual survivor tricks of Lucky and Look What I Found, along with Ward of Protection (again, powered by Peter).

I don't know if it's as effective as getting cheap allies and going for RGM spam, but it amuses me greatly.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 30, 2018

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
For anyone who hasn't seen it elsewhere already, the next deluxe expansion has turned up on a random Spanish retailer:

Store link
Reddit thread
We believe we know the history of the Earth, but there are secrets that lie hidden beyond our perception, and truths that threaten to disrupt our conception of the universe. When the renowned historian Alejandro Vela discovers one of these secrets -the ruins of an ancient forgotten Aztec city-, a plan is put into motion that could undo the fabric of time.

In The Forgotten Era, 1 to 4 investigators join an expedition to explore these ruins, venturing into dangerous jungles and forbidden caverns. Will they survive this dangerous journey or will it be their end? This expansion contains the first two scenarios of the campaign The forgotten era, as well as new investigators and player cards that increase the options of personalization of the game.

Hopefully that means an official announcement soon.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Ripley posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen it elsewhere already, the next deluxe expansion has turned up on a random Spanish retailer

This is pretty much a time-honored LCG tradition by now.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/31/the-forgotten-age/

New cycle announced. The new mechanic looks cool, hopefully the scenarios will jump around the world. I’d love to see some Mountains of Madness settings in this one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I still haven't sat down to play Carcosa but this sounds great. The explore mechanic is very cool.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/31/the-forgotten-age/

New cycle announced. The new mechanic looks cool, hopefully the scenarios will jump around the world. I’d love to see some Mountains of Madness settings in this one.

Oh man I love Ursula Downs. Give me Diana Stanley in this cycle and my wishlist is complete

Exploration sounds cool

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh man I love Ursula Downs. Give me Diana Stanley in this cycle and my wishlist is complete

Exploration sounds cool

I’m not super familiar with the Arkham investigators, but she looks fantastic. I’m guessing she’s a seeker/rogue by her stat line. She’s going to be killer with the upgraded Shortcut.

It looks like they’re using rules text in an interesting way - Circuitous Trail tells you to “check your supplies” to see if anyone “has a compass.” I wonder if a compass is an asset or if it’s just text you remember.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dumb question, but is the Dunwich campaign epilogue included with the last cycle pack? Will Carcosa be the same?

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
The epilogue is short amount of closing out story, not an actual mission. It's in the last cycle pack.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ubik_Lives posted:

The epilogue is short amount of closing out story, not an actual mission. It's in the last cycle pack.

Thank you!

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Does anyone else feel guilty for sometimes fudging an outcome or straight up cheating once in a while? I was playing Essex County Express tonight and I failed the scenario after two turns due to some bad pulls from the encounter deck. I just called the game a do-over and reset back to the beginning because there is no way I am cleaning everything up just as I set it up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I wouldn't even call it cheating, you played a scenario to full and lost and replayed it. As for replaying until you win for campaign purposes, why not, it's your game and no one else suffers for you enjoying it the way you want. I wouldn't go as far as to fudge token pulls or anything, but the whole point of the coop LCGs is to replay the packs and try different things/have different outcomes :)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I only feel a little guilty, but most of the fudging/cheating I do in solo games is to correct really obvious or dumb blunders, like, "oops I forgot to commit this card when most of the token pool is -3 or worse and I would have committed it anyway." I mostly do it in the name of fun.

In competitive games of Netrunner, X-Wing, or Star Wars LCG, I'll point out my dumb mistakes after making them and most of the time my opponents offer to let me correct them, but I almost always decline since I learn way better if I take the hit then and there. On the flip-side, if my opponents ask to correct their own dumb moves/mistakes, I'm always happy to let them do it since it's all in the name of fun anyway. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Does anyone else feel guilty for sometimes fudging an outcome or straight up cheating once in a while? I was playing Essex County Express tonight and I failed the scenario after two turns due to some bad pulls from the encounter deck. I just called the game a do-over and reset back to the beginning because there is no way I am cleaning everything up just as I set it up.

I only realised that finding a path in Where Doom Awaits requires a separate action and can't be Duke'd a week after getting through it. I definitely wouldn't have managed it if I followed that rule.

But I still haven't got Lost in Time and Space so it's like my campaign ended there anyway. :shrug: