Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Another fun and rude trick once Zeb comes out is to use his maneuver to block at a good angle, and then use Fenn's coordinate to roll him away so you can get an ABT shot in combat :evil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That reminds me, we weren't sure about how to interpret this so we went with the one that hosed me the least:

Rey crew vs. Old Teroch
"At the start of the combat phase, you may choose 1 enemy ship at Range 1. If you are inside its firing arc, it discards all focus and evade tokens."

If the Rey-equipped ship has a focus token still on Rey's card as instructed, does Teroch's ability include that one, or just those actually actively on the table? We decided the spirit of the rule was "on the table" but I honestly didn't have a good argument against it also taking Rey's banked one.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TremorX posted:

That reminds me, we weren't sure about how to interpret this so we went with the one that hosed me the least:

Rey crew vs. Old Teroch
"At the start of the combat phase, you may choose 1 enemy ship at Range 1. If you are inside its firing arc, it discards all focus and evade tokens."

If the Rey-equipped ship has a focus token still on Rey's card as instructed, does Teroch's ability include that one, or just those actually actively on the table? We decided the spirit of the rule was "on the table" but I honestly didn't have a good argument against it also taking Rey's banked one.

It's totally on the table focus/evades. Those tokens on the Rey crew card functionally don't exist otherwise.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

TremorX posted:

Rey crew vs. Old Teroch

It's on the table only. Also a good reminder of why initiative matters! (Both are at start of combat, give initiative to Teroch, and he will discard the tokens before you can snag a Rey one)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

Strobe. Strobe, my man.

I saw something that you might love. A lot.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...20Squadron&obs=

Video of it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3t1bjyx-I

I do like this! I don't think it's necessarily superior to the Falcon assisted Jess and Blue I've been running (which got a lot better with FAA and Advanced Optics), but I like it.

Refresher: https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...&sn=Strobe&obs=

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

My man! thanks

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm bringing a bag of goodies to the system open to hand out to cool people whether I play them or just see a really interesting list. Mostly some alt-arts I don't want, but also some acrylic ship markers and acrylic harpoon tokens.

I'm also thinking of getting a "sorry for your loss" sympathy card that I'll ask everyone that wins a game against me to sign with their name, list name, date and score.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I love my gunboats. Getting better at using them as well. Weird games yesterday against a dual shadowcaster list: first game I screwed up the approach but ended up winning, second game I got a perfect approach but ended up losing! That's x-wing for you, folks.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Tekopo posted:

I love my gunboats. Getting better at using them as well. Weird games yesterday against a dual shadowcaster list: first game I screwed up the approach but ended up winning, second game I got a perfect approach but ended up losing! That's x-wing for you, folks.

I have a deep and passionate hate for that list or any list that involves ships running away for 1/2 the game.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Tekopo posted:

my area is 100% sold out of gunboats so I am missing out

I am really hoping that the rise of generic gunboats allows me to revive my 2x Sigma/Shadow Sq. TIE Phantom list, because I think the last time I dusted them off, poo poo like multiple generic B-Wings were still good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Recoome posted:

my area is 100% sold out of gunboats so I am missing out

I am really hoping that the rise of generic gunboats allows me to revive my 2x Sigma/Shadow Sq. TIE Phantom list, because I think the last time I dusted them off, poo poo like multiple generic B-Wings were still good.

The main problem is there's a PS11 quickdraw there to gently caress you up for trying to ace out this kind of list.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Raged posted:

I have a deep and passionate hate for that list or any list that involves ships running away for 1/2 the game.
Psychological warfare upgrade card is OP

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Panzeh posted:

The main problem is there's a PS11 quickdraw there to gently caress you up for trying to ace out this kind of list.

It’s true, I wonder if I could do a similar thing with it though

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Ion cannon everything - EVERY. THING.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Out of curiosity, how dumb of an idea is this?

98 points

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (64)
VT-49 Decimator (46), Predator (3), Darth Vader (3), Kylo Ren (3), Gunner (5), Engine Upgrade (4)

Omicron Group Pilot (34)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Accuracy Corrector (3), Ion Cannon (3), Agent Kallus (2), Mara Jade (3), Ion Projector (2)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Funzo posted:

Out of curiosity, how dumb of an idea is this?

98 points

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (64)
VT-49 Decimator (46), Predator (3), Darth Vader (3), Kylo Ren (3), Gunner (5), Engine Upgrade (4)

Omicron Group Pilot (34)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Accuracy Corrector (3), Ion Cannon (3), Agent Kallus (2), Mara Jade (3), Ion Projector (2)

Yeah it's a bad idea because the omicron can't close out games- pretty much any ship can get in a spot in the rear 180 of it and then the shuttle is basically screwed.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Nice RAC though

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Hmmmm...maybe pair RAC with a TIE Aggressor with an ion turret.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Also, be aware that the crit dealt by Vader doesn't trigger I'll Show You The Dark Side from Kylo. The crit has to be "during an attack" which Vader crew is not.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm disappointed we never got a Rogue One pack with X-wing and Y-wing stuff. No, I don't care that Rebels got a pack with the previous movie.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm disappointed we never got a Rogue One pack with X-wing and Y-wing stuff. No, I don't care that Rebels got a pack with the previous movie.

:dice:

only pretend that gif says FFG

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
I'm heading to the Atlanta regionals soon with a Raclo/Vader list I'm very comfortable flying. Problem is that in my local meta no one at all flies the Miranda/Nym that everyone seems to find so scary. Am I just screwed in this match-up? Can anyone give me tips about what to do against it?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm honestly kinda surprised more than disappointed. Perfect opportunity to buff the old-wing

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm honestly kinda surprised more than disappointed. Perfect opportunity to buff the old-wing

:same: I would've thought that Asmodee would love to milk more money off the old x/y and get us to buy the same ships again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

E. Nesbit posted:

I'm heading to the Atlanta regionals soon with a Raclo/Vader list I'm very comfortable flying. Problem is that in my local meta no one at all flies the Miranda/Nym that everyone seems to find so scary. Am I just screwed in this match-up? Can anyone give me tips about what to do against it?

The really scary part of Nym, Genius + Trajectory Simulator, just got nerfed. I expect you may see some, but it's far weaker on the joust without that.

Blind Miranda and focus her down. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of rounds. Even if you lose RAC, VI Vader can take out Nym. Typically it's Miranda who has the infinite bombs. Combined with her regen, it can be very hard to take her out with a lone ace.

Now if you're NOT running VI Vader, you may have a lot more trouble with Nym.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

E. Nesbit posted:

They probably don't fly Miranda Nym because you fly RAClo Vader. Current feeling is that RAClo Vader is one of the best counter squads, with a top raclo/Vader player claiming that the only outcome in doubt is whether he gives up half points on RAC or not. Fly RAC into their face and blind one, hopefully get R1 without needing to boost, take one harpoon, whatever. Blind again and Vader should arrive to finish whichever one has taken 8 dice from RAC with a focus lock cruise missile. Then mop up.

Edit: the targeting priority is apparently, kill Miranda unless nym has advanced sensors and bomblet, in that case kill nym.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 24, 2018

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Thanks for the quick responses!

I do fly VI Vader with a 2 point bid, so that's reassuring. Now to figure out how to beat mass gunboats with the same list...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

E. Nesbit posted:

Thanks for the quick responses!

I do fly VI Vader with a 2 point bid, so that's reassuring. Now to figure out how to beat mass gunboats with the same list...

Range control is your game. Be very deliberate on how you place rocks so you can have visual indicators of range.

Also, approaching on anything but a straight up joust trajectory will screw up all but the best players on their range calculations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

The really scary part of Nym, Genius + Trajectory Simulator, just got nerfed. I expect you may see some, but it's far weaker on the joust without that.

Blind Miranda and focus her down. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of rounds. Even if you lose RAC, VI Vader can take out Nym. Typically it's Miranda who has the infinite bombs. Combined with her regen, it can be very hard to take her out with a lone ace.

Now if you're NOT running VI Vader, you may have a lot more trouble with Nym.

I have another dumb question. When you say "focus her down", what does that mean exactly? Use your focus tokens to reduce damage you get from Miranda?

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Range control is your game. Be very deliberate on how you place rocks so you can have visual indicators of range.

Also, approaching on anything but a straight up joust trajectory will screw up all but the best players on their range calculations.

Agreed on the second point. I like to set the Decimator up diagonally in the left corner, bank three right + boost right first turn, then turn in on turn 2. Seems to muddle things up a bit.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

By focus down, I mean shoot her with all you u got. Don’t split fire, don’t let her get away.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
follow up on the girlfriend thing. Tonight we are going to my FLGS for the first time. I hope the list I made for her out of the three random ships she pointed to on my display works out!

(FTR, Tie Phantom, Tie F/O, and Tie Striker, so I went whisper o'leader and sabaac)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm kinda hoping for a Rebel Aces 2.0 with a Blue Squadron X-wing and some sort of E-wing. Throw in General Mustache from Rogue One and few cards to make non-Corran E-wings worth using,

There's still no shortage of old EU pilots to fish around for. I bet they could think up some cool, weird abilities for some of the Wraith Squadron guys, for example.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Got another rep in with Ion Kanan. Guy had PTL/R2-D2 Norra and PTL Superdash.
He brought Fenn to one hull, put no damage on Kanan, and called the game 3 turns in when an ionized and triple stressed Dash was about to walk off the board edge while an ionized triple stressed Norra was parked on a rock.

This list is disgusting. I think I'm in love.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
It'd also be nice to see something that made the U-Wing not-garbage, but I'm not exactly holding out hope for that.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

canyoneer posted:

Got another rep in with Ion Kanan. Guy had PTL/R2-D2 Norra and PTL Superdash.
He brought Fenn to one hull, put no damage on Kanan, and called the game 3 turns in when an ionized and triple stressed Dash was about to walk off the board edge while an ionized triple stressed Norra was parked on a rock.

This list is disgusting. I think I'm in love.

Haha, yep. Some things it will just absolutely ruin. I'm trying to work out what it doesn't like to see. Probably a full tie swarm for instance.

e: thug life too. It pretty much preys on two ship lists but struggles the more fire-power you can bring to bear every turn.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Pretty sure I am going to run this at regionals in a couple of weeks. Played around with it a few weeks ago and got to watch Travis Foss run it last weekend and have run some more games with it. It's pretty much the Alpha of Alphas. Nym/Miranda will just vanish, gunboats go straight to hell and RAC if everything goes right can go down in 1 turn. Kylo himself is a challenge though. Tempted to run Kong's Ion Dong list, but I won't have time to practice it

Really wish I could run Dengar/Assaj, but even when everything goes right it bleeds MOV all over the place.

Captain Jostero (24)
Deadeye (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Contraband Cybernetics (1)
Munitions Failsafe (1)
Guidance Chips (0)
Vaksai (0)

Captain Nym (Scum) (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Thermal Detonators (3)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
"Genius" (0)
Guidance Chips (0)
Havoc (0)

Torani Kulda (27)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
R5-TK (0)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
RE: Ion Kanan Fenn - I had trouble with a Yorr Palpshuttle with Quickdraw and the Inquisitor. I couldn't take the shuttle down quickly enough due to bad rolling, and he would have kept eating the stress I would have otherwise dumped on Quickdraw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

canyonero posted:

RE: Ion Kanan Fenn - I had trouble with a Yorr Palpshuttle with Quickdraw and the Inquisitor. I couldn't take the shuttle down quickly enough due to bad rolling, and he would have kept eating the stress I would have otherwise dumped on Quickdraw.

Good to know. I think that's the best variant of palp aces these days, because it mitigates dealt stress really well and otherwise opens up the dials of those ships greatly.

• Locked thread