Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

This is a good game and I'm kind of sad that I finished it. It leaves me wanting more but I'm guessing there's not going to ever be a direct continuation (for a variety of reasons).

Read the background materials friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This is a good game and I'm kind of sad that I finished it. It leaves me wanting more but I'm guessing there's not going to ever be a direct continuation (for a variety of reasons).

Nobody thought there would be sequel to Nier yet here we are.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015
So, for anyone interested in fan songs, here's something from Miracle of Sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYzXKZn_Z3w

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

UP AND ADAM posted:

Read the background materials friend

I have to say I feel like I enjoy the worldbuilding side material a lot more than what connects to the main narrative. I like the open endings of the game better.

Then again this is Taro so continuity means jack

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I started replaying the game on Hard and I'm quite enjoying it. You have to learn boss patterns better, enemies are more aggressive and you can use plug in chips to mitigate instant deaths.

At first the game has almost Souls like progression with the way game overs are handled

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nina posted:

I have to say I feel like I enjoy the worldbuilding side material a lot more than what connects to the main narrative. I like the open endings of the game better.

Then again this is Taro so continuity means jack

Taro's been pretty consistent in that the most bizarre and least-likely ending usually ends up being the canon one.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Automata 2: after the mackerel

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Mega64 posted:

Taro's been pretty consistent in that the most bizarre and least-likely ending usually ends up being the canon one.

I mean none of the endings in Drakengard 3 ended up being canon

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Yet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I want Drakengard 4 to be even hornier than 3 now that Yoko Taro has got the attention of the general gaming press.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I want drakengard 4 to be a literal scene for scene recreation of drakengard 1, until the very end where something even more hosed up happens

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The entire game is two-button rhythm pattern memorization, until the final boss where it becomes a hack'n'slash with RPG elements

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And then Caim becomes an eyeflower.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
I would tolerate it if they got Angelus' VA back

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I think this game's critical reception and sales have both been substantially better than any previous Yoko Taro game so I'm not sure why you'd guess that

Like it's more likely we'll get a sequel and more likely that sequel will feature characters and concepts from this one than it was for Nier: Automata to ever exist in the first place

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
There has been a tradition of starting over with new characters every game. I’m assuming that is what they meant by ‘direct continuation’. I wouldn’t bet on 2B/9A/A2 being in NieR 3.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Know Such Peace posted:

There has been a tradition of starting over with new characters every game. I’m assuming that is what they meant by ‘direct continuation’. I wouldn’t bet on 2B/9A/A2 being in NieR 3.
It wouldn't be that surprising to see, Idk, 9S or A2 in an Emil-like role in NieR 3 though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ni3R.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Raxivace posted:

It wouldn't be that surprising to see, Idk, 9S or A2 in an Emil-like role in NieR 3 though.

Yeah, given that they're all functionally immortal, it's not out of the realms of possibilities that the next game would feature one or more of this game's characters. All the immortal characters from Nier showed up after all, even the ones that died. And given the popularity of 2B I wouldn't be even faintly surprised if she cameo'd in a Ni3R.

The real question is, what role would they play in the next game?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A DrakeNier Arcys fighting game.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Raxivace posted:

9S for the new Drakengard 2 Caim

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yeah, given that they're all functionally immortal, it's not out of the realms of possibilities that the next game would feature one or more of this game's characters. All the immortal characters from Nier showed up after all, even the ones that died. And given the popularity of 2B I wouldn't be even faintly surprised if she cameo'd in a Ni3R.

Except that it turned out that none of the Nier characters were the actual characters from Nier. The Nier 3 equivalent would be cameos from a number 2 and a number 9 unit that we hadn’t met before.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
To be honest I want whatever next game Yoko Taro makes to be completely unrelated to any of his previous games. I feel like they've stretched this world as far as it can really go, especially when the direct references made to the first Nier (other than Emil and the twins) didn't feel like they were really necessary.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I did really like it back in the day when it was just the YoRHa stage play and it felt like this totally new and interesting world with no ties to Nier at the time. I want a new IP from Taro, as long as it doesn’t have anything to do with his manga because that one’s actually kind of edgy garbage

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only connection I wasn't sure worked in Automata was the appearance of the Nier 1 library.

Like once I got over the unexpected nostalgia rush I wasn't sure why it was there thematically.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That's the main one I was thinking of, yeah. Attaching project Gestalt to anything that happens in this game adds essentially nothing because things are so disconnected from it that it doesn't matter. The first Nier had connections to Drakengard, but this isn't mentioned anywhere in the game except for loading screens you may not even see, and it's more of an Easter egg than anything else. Here it felt like sirens were going off, telling the player that yes, this is in fact a sequel to Nier, even though they already showed us both Emil and the twins.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

There’s a lot of frankly meaningless symbology in Automata lifted from Drakengard and Nier. I think it’s probably there because the developers thought it’d be visually interesting, even if you can jump through hoops to find narrative justification for it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, as of the end of the game, with the Bunker destroyed the characters aren't immortal any more- note that after route A and B you no longer respawn at a save point when you die and do a corpse run, you have to just load your most recent save. Maybe if they die the pods could rebuild them again, but I'd imagine the pods would wear out eventually

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There are some holes in the Niergard universe where a good story could be fit in, like the actual events that led to Project Gestalt or anything that's not the E branch from Drakengard 1. What Squeenix really should do, however, is give Yoko Taro full reigns over Final Fantasy. :getin:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Well, as of the end of the game, with the Bunker destroyed the characters aren't immortal any more- note that after route A and B you no longer respawn at a save point when you die and do a corpse run, you have to just load your most recent save. Maybe if they die the pods could rebuild them again, but I'd imagine the pods would wear out eventually

Immortal as in ageless. Not immortal as in immune to all harm.

And we already have a very strong implication at least one of our leads lives on for hundreds of years post-game, so there's that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'd rather not have anyone from this game mentioned again because that'll mean they came back to the torturing hellscape of Yoko Taro.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Nier 3 will continue on from ending O and be a fishing simulator.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

9S and 2B aren't functionally immortal because they don't have YorHa to plug them in to a new body anymore.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Look Sir Droids posted:

9S and 2B aren't functionally immortal because they don't have YorHa to plug them in to a new body anymore.

Well technically it doesnt require Yorha. Androids have been replacing their parts for centuries before Yorha was a thing.

I think it was explained that only very specialized androids like Devola and Popola had the necessary skills to repair Yorha androids.

So I guess its possible?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I beat the game last night at around 2-3am (Ending E) and wow. What a loving game. I need to go back and read the Nier LP because my 360 died while I was playing the og nier.

Just...ugh gently caress what a GOOD loving GAME

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

WaltherFeng posted:

Well technically it doesnt require Yorha. Androids have been replacing their parts for centuries before Yorha was a thing.

I think it was explained that only very specialized androids like Devola and Popola had the necessary skills to repair Yorha androids.

So I guess its possible?

Not anymore...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I beat the game last night at around 2-3am (Ending E) and wow. What a loving game. I need to go back and read the Nier LP because my 360 died while I was playing the og nier.

Just...ugh gently caress what a GOOD loving GAME

I stayed up late to get the true ending as well. It's the traditional thing to do, I feel, when you're playing a really good game to beat it really late at night

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Geez, 9S with a spear is a total wrecking ball.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

Look Sir Droids posted:

A2 also didn't have access to the bunker, nor did Anemone, and they both lived for centuries. Hell, the Twins have been alive for millennia, from before the first Nier, even though they aren't the same twins they've been working on the same job, at the same time, so they've been around for a while without any backups at all.

I think you guys are confusing immortal (the inability to die) with invincible (the inability to be killed), since 2B and 9S treat death as totally inconsequential, even using suicide bombs as a means of attack, but they're not the same. Just because they've lost the inability to be killed doesn't mean they're not still immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There was some stage play or whatever that was meant to take place post-game where one character said something about how even androids will wither and die eventually, though now that I think about it that was in the script and not the actual play, in order to troll people, and I'm not generally inclined to pay much need to sources outside the game itself anyway