Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wow. Sounds like another insufferable crap from the Scum Boys.

Nice edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

Are you counting "Tag Heuer"? Red Bull finishing behind McLaren and Renault would please me

We still don't know what the actual name of Jordan DNA is going to be this season.

Yes, I mean all three Renault teams. Imo, it's going to be interesting. All the Renault teams have very good funding, I guess Red Bull and Renault are on par (maybe Renault even has a bigger budget?), I don't know about Mr-No-Main-Sponsor McLaren, but they also should have a good war chest, allthough I guess the missing Honda money hurts. (e: allthough that missing money shouldn't influence this years car too much)

All three teams have a very solid driver lineup, with one experienced driver ranging from solid (Hulkenberg) to very fast (Ricciardio, especially if break-bombing) to one of the best on the grid (Alonso). All three have drat fast and very intelligent younger drivers, a very disciplined Vandoorne, a slightly less disciplined Sainz and a semi-lunatic Verstappen who imo learned that he can't solve every situation with the proverbial crowbar.

All three have a very good pitwall with lots of experience.

I am unsure about the engineering side...Red Bull has a very solid engineering department that struggled a bit last year with the windtunnel problems, McLaren seems to have built a very good chassis last year, and it's hard to say how much old Lotus ballast was still in the Renault team.

One of the three is the works team, the other is the team known for awesome chassis, the third one has to prove that they are still a top team and that it was just Honda dragging them down.

Imo, the Renault-team battle will be interesting!

e: also, doesn't Renault now have Mr-Know-it-All from the FIA? Should pay off next year, maybe?

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 24, 2018

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Red Bull's cars always initially start out slow and develop later. McLaren is in huge poo poo if they aren't faster than them out of the box.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren's owners are injecting money to make up for the lack of sponsorship, so that's not hurting them currently, but they can't do that forever.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I would guess that Red Bull have a bigger budget than Renault to be honest. Im not sure why I think that but since Renault manufactures actual vehicles that people drive and Red Bull manufactures 2 cents worth of energy drink in 8 dollar cans then I feel that they can be more flippant with the money.

That's assuming they both care about their respective F1 teams equally of course.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Gonna be interesting to see what the "We got out in time"-quote from Honda really means.

Normally, Japanese people/companies don't engage in bad-mouthing others/FUD, or am I wrong? IIRC; it was something like "everybody is nervous in Woking due to the new car beeing a completely new development stage. We (Honda) got out in time." Wasn't it something along those lines?

Then again, I remember a certain Lotus engineer telling the world that "we are seeing numbers in the windtunnel which are awesome, and we couldn't believe them ourselves" before putting the tusk-monster on track...so....yeah....

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 24, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

McLaren's owners are injecting money to make up for the lack of sponsorship, so that's not hurting them currently, but they can't do that forever.

They should try injecting AIDS drugs because McLaren has AIDS

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They should try injecting AIDS drugs because McLaren has AIDS

"Money"

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

Red Bull's cars always initially start out slow and develop later. McLaren is in huge poo poo if they aren't faster than them out of the box.

McLaren are better than any other team on the grid at development over a season, they're just also very good at starting out from a hilariously poo poo position.

Red Bull had some problem with their suspension I think last season, which meant they took a leap forward when they finally sorted it out, but didn't really improve after that and finished comfortably behind Ferrari. They can't keep begging Newey to come back and sort it out every season.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Gigi Galli posted:

I would guess that Red Bull have a bigger budget than Renault to be honest. Im not sure why I think that but since Renault manufactures actual vehicles that people drive and Red Bull manufactures 2 cents worth of energy drink in 8 dollar cans then I feel that they can be more flippant with the money.

That's assuming they both care about their respective F1 teams equally of course.

They really had to slash staff towards the end of the Lotus years and Renault have had to build things up again at Enstone. It's a bit like how it took a couple of seasons before Mercedes could get Brackley firing on all cylinders after Ross had to get rid of everyone to keep the team going at all.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lol y'all remember when McLaren was good? Whew that's never happening again!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The McLaren-Honda fallout wasn't that bad, tbh. RBR has treated Renault way worse.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

Red Bull had some problem with their suspension I think last season, which meant they took a leap forward when they finally sorted it out, but didn't really improve after that and finished comfortably behind Ferrari. They can't keep begging Newey to come back and sort it out every season.

IIRC, they had problems with the windtunnel data not relating with what happened on track, plus parts of their suspension where banned pre-season, weren't they? They said that sorting out the windtunnel problems helped a lot...unless that was just a cover-up for something else.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

The McLaren-Honda fallout wasn't that bad, tbh. RBR has treated Renault way worse.

The Honda execs apparently really wanted the McLaren thing to work, if the engine came good I could see McLaren taking them in the future.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

tuo posted:

IIRC, they had problems with the windtunnel data not relating with what happened on track, plus parts of their suspension where banned pre-season, weren't they? They said that sorting out the windtunnel problems helped a lot...unless that was just a cover-up for something else.

That's the long story.
The short story is that Newey was busy designing boats and road cars and wasn't around to tell everyone what to do.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Schlesische posted:

That's the long story.
The short story is that Newey was busy designing boats and road cars and wasn't around to tell everyone what to do.

Red Bull cars are like Schrödinger's Cat as off late. They are designed by Newey and are not designed by Newey at the same time when you listen to Red Bull (depending on what works best in the current press release/interview), up until Barcelona tests...then they decide wether it's a Newey car or it isn't.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I drove past McLaren’s new northern base today. It does not look like the pretty pictures. https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/mclaren-sheffield-facility-amrc-innovation-district-100m-uk-economy-1.679675

Ron would be turning in his grave, it’s a horrible grey box, but instead of oddly uniform fountains it’s surrounded by concrete and the M1 which means every surface on the inside will get a daily coating of that weird sticky yellow M1 dust. Quite why the everloving gently caress you would want to build precision car components 20ft away from something absolutly chucking out pollutants is completely beyond me.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
British manufacturing facility? Poorly designed? Well I never.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

learnincurve posted:

I drove past McLaren’s new northern base today. It does not look like the pretty pictures. https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/mclaren-sheffield-facility-amrc-innovation-district-100m-uk-economy-1.679675

Ron would be turning in his grave, it’s a horrible grey box, but instead of oddly uniform fountains it’s surrounded by concrete and the M1 which means every surface on the inside will get a daily coating of that weird sticky yellow M1 dust. Quite why the everloving gently caress you would want to build precision car components 20ft away from something absolutly chucking out pollutants is completely beyond me.

Their Woking base isn't much to look at, it's only when you park up, go down the lifts, walk down the 100 metre long looking Bond villain corridors, go up another lift and stagger to reception that you think "ok, this is pretty cool"

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

tuo posted:

Red Bull cars are like Schrödinger's Cat as off late. They are designed by Newey and are not designed by Newey at the same time when you listen to Red Bull (depending on what works best in the current press release/interview), up until Barcelona tests...then they decide wether it's a Newey car or it isn't.

This wasn't coming directly from Red Bull. It was coming out of a bunch of sources even before Barcelona that Newey hadn't spent as much time on this car as he had on previous cars due to other commitments.
Then the car turned out to be a bit of a dog and Red Bull doubled down on that stub of a story.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Red Bull has always had lovely initial cars. Outside of like 2010/2011. It's been a consistent problem.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

If there’s ever anything Japanese market you need let me know.

Thanks, although I am hoping to keep it just down to the 60 or so UK ones because... well....

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Sauber Alfa and Force India have dropped their unfair competition complaint against F1 which they initiated while Bernie was still in charge.

They've now decided that Liberty have 'brought a new culture of transparency to the sport and illustrate willingness to debate fundamental issues' and they are 'encouraged and reassured by the even-handed and fair negotiating approach taken by the new management'

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

tuo posted:

Gonna be interesting to see what the "We got out in time"-quote from Honda really means.

A lot of unwanted pregnancies in Japan.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
hey

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
ferrari sucks

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Dubs posted:

ferrari sucks

It's true

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Ferrari owns.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ferrari owns a bad Formula 1 team.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good, yes.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ferrari owns.

This is a fantastic post op. Possibly the best post in this thread.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ferrari owns.

doesnt even have a title sponsor lol

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've recently learned that title sponsors are actually bullshit and that the key is to get Major Partners in order to protect your brand

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I've recently learned that title sponsors are actually bullshit and that the key is to get Major Partners in order to protect your brand

Hell yeah

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good, yes.

Ferrari: Bad to the Bone

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dubs posted:

ferrari sucks
?

Tsaedje posted:

It's true
??

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ferrari owns.
Correct

track day bro! posted:

Dubs posted:

doesnt even have a title sponsor lol

Only stupid idiot teams run by losers need title sponsors. Cool teams like Scuderia Ferrari get paid by FOM because they are the greatest team in the history of grand prix racing

Marlboro

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Only stupid idiot teams run by losers need title sponsors. Cool teams like Scuderia Ferrari get paid by FOM because they are the greatest team in the history of grand prix racing

#DamnItsTrue

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
More accurately, they are paid clandestinely by cigarette companies.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

yeah nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

track day bro! posted:

It is, and the most correct.

• Locked thread