Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Signor posted:

I'm not Travis is that great at role playing anymore. The character voice for Aubrey is awful and kinda annoying, but worse it sounds exactly like Nadia. I really hope that he doesn't think all cool women sound like that or something.

I would say that someone's roleplaying ability does not necessarily correlate with their ability to do many voices. Unless you're GMing, you really only need one voice. Not even that if you have some other way to differentiate between your character speaking and you speaking. That said, Nadia's voice was lower pitched than Aubrey's. They're similar, but if Travis were to play the two of them having a conversation, you'd be able to tell which was which imo.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm still fairly that Travis is good at role playing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also Aubry is a different sort of jerk than Nadia

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Thank Travis for Travis.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Alaois posted:

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

If anybody has, it's probably Travis.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Voices are hard and Travis doesn’t have the most versatile voice so I get that his voices aren’t that varied. I do agree that the vocal cadence he uses for Aubrey is pretty annoying though. I don’t really have a great sense of her personality yet either, while I pretty much get what Duck and Ned are all about.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
My read on Aubrey's character so far is that she's so surrounded by weird, unexpected poo poo that she just hasn't dropped her stage persona at all yet as a psychological defense mechanism.

The cockiness, insistence of deference for her pet rabbit, all that kayfabe stuff might be peeled back as soon as she starts spending time with people she can actually trust. Like the other PCs. Whenever they actually meet up.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That would be nice, I hope Travis does something like that with her.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
I've been playing TTRPGs since I was old enough to read and still haven't done character voices so I'm not gonna poo poo on Travis for being less than perfect.

If I was his DM though I'd be putting that rabbit in life or death situations every other roll. Not out of a desire to kill it but simply because it's carte blanche to force Travis to do whatever dumb poo poo I need to move the story where I want.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

New Butt Order posted:

I've been playing TTRPGs since I was old enough to read and still haven't done character voices so I'm not gonna poo poo on Travis for being less than perfect.

If I was his DM though I'd be putting that rabbit in life or death situations every other roll. Not out of a desire to kill it but simply because it's carte blanche to force Travis to do whatever dumb poo poo I need to move the story where I want.

Yeah I never bother with voices unless I'm struck by a sudden desire to goof around.

Also that's a great point about the rabbit. Griffin should have him dancing to his puppet strings by going after the rabbit. Hah, never thought of that before.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
rating someone's roleplaying on whether or not they're doing a voice is the hell actual play podcasts have created

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Voice acting is hard. That said, it’s hard to listen to other rpg shows when one or more of the people sounds like they’re broadcasting over HAM radio while riding a barrel over Niagara Falls.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mlmp08 posted:

Voice acting is hard. That said, it’s hard to listen to other rpg shows when one or more of the people sounds like they’re broadcasting over HAM radio while riding a barrel over Niagara Falls.

There are a few real play shows that people gush about but I can't participate because the sound quality is like they recorded in a rusty tin can half submerged in old gelatin.

I do character voices in my games. That being said, it's a (very, VERY modest) talent that I have and practice it a fair amount.
For the more extreme ones, I will do it long enough to establish them and then go back to my normal voice.
If the conversation is really critical, I'll put the voice back on.

In one 8-hour session, the group linked up with a contact that was a cross between Bobcat Goldthwait and the Orc Peon from WC2. They liked him so much that they got him to tag along.
I'm certain that they were loving with me just to see how long I would do it.

I did it the whole. goddamn. session.
But then I couldn't talk for two days.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
You don't need a character voice in the way that Justin complains about them, but you can chang your cadence to convey your character. Like if they're shy they might have their sentences trail off or say "um" a lot, or more charismatic you can put some bravado in.

I really am not liking Aubrey though and I think it has more to do with not liking how Travis is playing. She is such a thin character right now that all I really have is "arrogant rear end in a top hat" when that isn't what Travis originally described her as. Travis is very close to being "That Guy" in the D&D group in his needless interruptions and how much he doesn't seem to want to actually interact with the setting.

"I wanted to go to the bathroom because nobody ever does that lol" Yeah Travis, because it's boring and breaks up the flow of a scene. There's a reason nobody does it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
On voice acting: A minor affectation isn't all that hard to keep up, and for an entertainment product, a reasonable expectation of dedication to the role play should be expected. That said, saying that any one person's characters sound similar is a bit much, since one person can only make so many noises out of their mouths. Travis and Clint just doing the same voice at different pitches is fine, especially if it's something that can keep up regularly. If they had let Clint keep his first Merle voice, it probably would've never been a problem.

Someone in my group finally landed on doing basically a Milwaukee accent, even though he's not super great at it and sometimes slips to more Canadian. I'm actually pretty decent and doing voices, and had decided a long while ago to do a New Zealand accent for my character, but now his is throwing off my Murray Hewitt flow enough that I'm considering dropping it for something harsher and easier to keep up. Doing voices outside of your standard range is not easy, especially if you're not the only one doing it.

On Travis as a player: I honestly don't know what Travis is trying to accomplish with what his character is right now, but I think it'll solidify a bit once all 3 player characters finally meet up and start interacting. I'm not saying that I'm going to like what he does with the character, but it'll be way more clear. My biggest problem with Travis this time around is the weird disconnect he's created with a character who is totally cool with basically meditating a fire away, but then in utter disbelief that she can cast actual fire magic. It's really weird, and I'm not sure he's entirely sure of what he wants to do, either.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don’t really care about character voices, and I’m pretty sure that Justin’s anger about them is just a bit, but Aubrey’s voice is making me dislike her, just because it reminds me so much of Nadia, who I did not like at all.

We haven’t seen how she works with the rest of the squad yet so I’m trying to reserve judgment but boy it’d be more fun if Travis would play a character who likes people.

There was a moment in commitment where Nadia, in a time of crisis paused to be like “ok, you know I’m not a chemist, right?” and griffin was like “whatever, who cares just do a goddamn science” which was an interaction that pretty well summed up my opinion of that character choice

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

SpacePig posted:

Murray Hewitt

Just want to say that I’m terrible at accents but if I ever want to say or think something in a Kiwi accent Rhys Darby is also my go-to. I just imagine him saying “Bret” to get in the zone

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don’t really care about character voices, and I’m pretty sure that Justin’s anger about them is just a bit...

Yeah, considering during balance he was the only one of the 3 doing a consistent voice at all.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Just want to say that I’m terrible at accents but if I ever want to say or think something in a Kiwi accent Rhys Darby is also my go-to. I just imagine him saying “Bret” to get in the zone

I actually end up doing a small warm up of repeating "Band meeting" and "Present." and then throw in a "where's that car?" to really settle into how I want it to sound any time I plan on my character speaking. I've been using "He may be dead" lately, as it's a more complete sentence and helps get the cadence right.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Chieves posted:

Yeah, considering during balance he was the only one of the 3 doing a consistent voice at all.

Also Clint and Travis' voices weren't terrible, but they were pretty much just doing "their normal voice, but more gravel"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In happy news:
The MBMBAM TV show is now #1 on iTunes despite being almost a year old.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
It was just made available to purchase so I think people wanted to grab copies. Also now Justin has to get the other two to record a commentary track

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

http://toddlertumblr.com/

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

I haven't listen to this week's episode yet, but I honestly should've guessed. So we've got Toddler Tumbler, Teen Google, and Dad Yelp. Now we need something for moms and grandparents and we'll be all set.

e: My Smooth Face and Fart Patrol also still work, which is insane to me.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

SpacePig posted:

I haven't listen to this week's episode yet, but I honestly should've guessed. So we've got Toddler Tumbler, Teen Google, and Dad Yelp. Now we need something for moms and grandparents and we'll be all set.

e: My Smooth Face and Fart Patrol also still work, which is insane to me.

Is internet.com taken?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Not Operator posted:

Is internet.com taken?

How about theinternet.com

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Colonel Whitey posted:

Just start with an Australian accent and add in 20% more twee.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Nuebot posted:

How about theinternet.com

http://whatsgoodinter.net/

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

iajanus posted:

Just start with an Australian accent and add in 20% more twee.

Someone once described New Zealanders as sounding like Australians who've just seen a ghost and I've found it very helpful.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Someone once described New Zealanders as sounding like Australians who've just seen a ghost and I've found it very helpful.

I really like this and I think I'll start using it as a guide. Thank you very much.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

So like....horny?

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Accurate.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Colonel Whitey posted:

So like....horny?

More sheepish than anything

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
e: nope

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Wow, yeah that's pretty spot on.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Just listened to the newest TAZ.

It took about 40 minutes for them to meet up but I was really grateful when they did. The first 2/3 of this episode was crawling it was so slow, but it got much better when they finally converged.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

They're like "where's the car?" and we're like "where's the car?"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

timp posted:

Just listened to the newest TAZ.

It took about 40 minutes for them to meet up but I was really grateful when they did. The first 2/3 of this episode was crawling it was so slow, but it got much better when they finally converged.

So you're saying the fireworks factory was worth it?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

This extremely rules from every direction (TAZ Balance spoilers kinda)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cj8d6EcFp0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I really liked that part where Clint was making an honest effort at role playing but Griffin just told him no, he could not run over the two monsters fighting in front of him. Like, come on dude, if you have plans for the character then adjust the way you tell the story to keep him alive.