Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Leave out a tub of mayo and they'll be here before you know it

:laffo:

I had a sandwich in Santiago one time, that son of a bitch was 70% mayonnaise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

cool article. i also should make a brazil election thread later

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/opinion/brazil-lula-democracy-corruption.html?referer=

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Frijolero posted:

:laffo:

I had a sandwich in Santiago one time, that son of a bitch was 70% mayonnaise.

I'm a blonde haired blue eyed American and I find that completely disgusting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol cool

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

it kinda pisses me off that best coverage of what happens here is international

also an election thread will be a valley of tears BUT at least an informative one

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

it kinda pisses me off that best coverage of what happens here is international

also an election thread will be a valley of tears BUT at least an informative one

i wonder if i should include wrteups for the ten psychopaths for the gimmick tiny parties who get like 0.5% of the vote all combined

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Like I had no idea that there's a libertarian party now

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My former classmates who graduated in economics with me and went into finance are all super excited about Joao Amoedo and NOVO, in no small part because Gustavo Franco is with him. I am not joking.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Like I had no idea that there's a libertarian party now

the agringado party

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

that's a good summary, but it doesn't mention Bolsonaro at all. that's important because if Lula is ineligible to run, he's gonna win instead, which means that brazil is fuuuuuuuucked. i'm not a praying man but i'll pray for Lula to stay in the race if i remember. it'll probably be outnumbered by the evangelicals praying to pave the way for Bolsonaro though

btw i'd be all for a writeup about the brazilian presidential candidates

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:11 on Jan 24, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol they ruled against lula

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-politics-lula/brazil-court-upholds-lula-conviction-idUSKBN1FD0FU?il=0

these are some dumb motherfuckers

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

theres people rioting in porto alegre and i hope all the gaúchos get killed

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the weird thing is its not like lula was really that bad for the rich. he was ultimately pretty drat neoliberal. yet they cant even allow his relatively modest welfare programs for the poor to the point theyre willing to risk totally delegitimizing everything and leaving the people no choice but violence, riots, revolution. how loving stupid.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the weird thing is its not like lula was really that bad for the rich. he was ultimately pretty drat neoliberal. yet they cant even allow his relatively modest welfare programs for the poor to the point theyre willing to risk totally delegitimizing everything and leaving the people no choice but violence, riots, revolution. how loving stupid.

They're confident that they will win.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah i guess their ultimate goal is the restoration of the military dictatorship, and popular revolt could justify that. thats the only thing that makes sense.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah i guess their ultimate goal is the restoration of the military dictatorship, and popular revolt could justify that. thats the only thing that makes sense.

tbqf this is a famous case of "I don't know how much idiotic that is" syndrome by the brazilian middle class

one argument that seems to land around here was "well you know how your kids love to drink and drive? guess what, the dictatorship was about beating the poo poo out of them and leaving them in jail for a few days just because"

it isn't like they were even that good for the economy, they horribly aggravated debt and inflation during the 80s

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

someone please teach lula how to thread tweets

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Brazil went from copying everything the US does to do what the US will do in a few years

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

brazil will finally melt down

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Top City Homo posted:

brazil will finally melt down

we went through worse tbqf

there has been a lot of "this is it, poo poo is going down" moments in Brazilian history but a lot of what makes poo poo bad is also what makes poo poo stable

there is a fantastic book I read back at econ uni called "A Ordem do Progresso" (The Order of Progress, a play with the national motto) which is all about how Brazilian society is all about very incremental but always continuous change instead of revolutionary action, which guarantees that poo poo sucks at present but makes the future a little better

naturally I have some disagreements about that but for example it allows that some sudden societal changes like LGBT rights get traction a lot faster than in other places, at the cost of glossing over associated class problems with that (i.e. those advancements come first to rich brazilians, then the middle class then the periphery of society)

another example of "turning point moments" was the end of the monarchy, it wasn't some massive showdown, basically the army in Rio de Janeiro went around and said "OK we now have a president" and only rich people cared, the masses were "so uh what do we get, things seem business as usual", and it took 20 years to some places like in the deep hinterlands to tell people that we didn't have an emperor anymore, and when the news showed up, they just shrugged

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

regardless of how neoliberal lula and the worker's party was under his presidency, the brazilian markets still jumped over 2% when his conviction was upheld and extended

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

there is a fantastic book I read back at econ uni called "A Ordem do Progresso" (The Order of Progress, a play with the national motto) which is all about how Brazilian society is all about very incremental but always continuous change instead of revolutionary action, which guarantees that poo poo sucks at present but makes the future a little better
p much every country has had some dullard pointing out at one point that revolutionary progress or anything other than the most tepid of changes are just not part of their national ethos. it's dumb.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

regardless of how neoliberal lula and the worker's party was under his presidency, the brazilian markets still jumped over 2% when his conviction was upheld and extended

once again proving the center-left is the vegetables of capital and the right is ice cream

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

R. Mute posted:

p much every country has had some dullard pointing out at one point that revolutionary progress or anything other than the most tepid of changes are just not part of their national ethos. it's dumb.

The British political tradition is so bland they think getting a monarch from a different inbred bloodline was a "Glorious Revolution"

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

R. Mute posted:

lol, yeah, the point was mostly about how Brazil didn't have "structural revolutions" (like the French or Russian) which dramatically changes things, even though it had similar social pressure-cooker like conditions in a few occasions

like for example the end of slavery (Brazil was the last country in the West) wasn't because of a deliberate societal effort, rather it came down to becoming extremely unfeasible with ever increasing foreign pressures on trade and the "incremental laws" reaching their maximum effect

liberals back then thought it was brilliant because brazil managed to end slavery through a 40-year plan by policies instead of massive revolts, thinking themselves great, but ofc nobody asked how well the slaves were doing in the period or even better, no assistance at all was offered to freedmen/women

so yeah its dumb af

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

and history is repeating itself, as the unfixed structural problems of the past few years are leading to a likely victory by a junta apologist. i read an article saying that lula's probable ejection won't help bolsonaro out, but i kinda doubt that

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://sportv.globo.com/google/amp...impression=true

:(

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mobas were a mistake

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

we went through worse tbqf

there has been a lot of "this is it, poo poo is going down" moments in Brazilian history but a lot of what makes poo poo bad is also what makes poo poo stable

naturally I have some disagreements about that but for example it allows that some sudden societal changes like LGBT rights get traction a lot faster than in other places, at the cost of glossing over associated class problems with that (i.e. those advancements come first to rich brazilians, then the middle class then the periphery of society)

another example of "turning point moments" was the end of the monarchy, it wasn't some massive showdown, basically the army in Rio de Janeiro went around and said "OK we now have a president" and only rich people cared, the masses were "so uh what do we get, things seem business as usual", and it took 20 years to some places like in the deep hinterlands to tell people that we didn't have an emperor anymore, and when the news showed up, they just shrugged

i think carnivale will explode into a full rate revolutionary action with people arribaying and dancing their way to the barricades

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

temer himself said that even if hes widely reviled by everyone no one is going to the streets asking him to resign lmao. CUCK!!! CUCK COUNTRY!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Temer sent the troops to take over Rios security until December. On an election year. It's gonna be a full on coup hahahahahahahahhaha

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

too much of a chickenshit to actually do so tbqf

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Love 2 get coup'd by the business elite

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Frijolero posted:

Love 2 get coup'd by the business elite

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Should be “Dilma” (or even Lula) at the top, really. Temer has always been the elite’s puppet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Unnamed One posted:

Should be “Dilma” (or even Lula) at the top, really. Temer has always been the elite’s puppet.

yeah but lol really good

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Temer sent the troops to take over Rios security until December. On an election year. It's gonna be a full on coup hahahahahahahahhaha
bolsonaro or military coup, choose the form of your destruction

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So a shitload of police in my city were deployed to protect a Bolsonaro outdoor from vandalism but meanwhile there's an incoming criminal faction war after PCC leaders got killed here.

https://www.opovo.com.br/noticias/ceara/maranguape/2018/02/policiais-militares-evitam-depredacao-de-outdoor-de-bolsonaro.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Plutonis posted:

So a shitload of police in my city were deployed to protect a Bolsonaro outdoor from vandalism but meanwhile there's an incoming criminal faction war after PCC leaders got killed here.

https://www.opovo.com.br/noticias/ceara/maranguape/2018/02/policiais-militares-evitam-depredacao-de-outdoor-de-bolsonaro.html

im glad that these political parties are finally having a literal turf war and killing each other

• Locked thread