Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any fave cutscenes in the game? I haven’t got into Stormblood yet, but I feel like Ysayle’s last stand and Omega vs. Shinryu have to be up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The intro cutscene for Final Steps of Faith is pretty great and really sets the stage for the fight.

E: that said, the level 30 pugilist quest is still the best cutscene.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 24, 2018

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Yeah, the slow walk right before Final Steps as everyone else flees in terror is real good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I thought Mateus was a special case, specifically in that the lady isn't Mateus, the thing using the lady as a meat shield is Mateus?

Yep!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Omega vs. Shinryu because it's precisely what you expect to happen after a decade or so of suppressing SE's artists' drive to create nonsensical uncontrollable summon animations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

Any fave cutscenes in the game?
Anything Hildibrand.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SKULL.GIF posted:

there's been nothing confirmed yet but considering Kefka is fought both as a clown and as a god it makes sense to include both, like with Exdeath.

They've said they want to give savage raiders something unique without gating story content so the answer is yes probably they'll do something special with Kefka savage
I'm hoping he dies and O8S is VS gogo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do we know when the patch is coming out?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Do we know when the patch is coming out?

Next Tuesday, the 30th.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dwesa posted:

Anything Hildibrand.

The hildibrand hug with his son is the best thing this game has ever made

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Darth Walrus posted:

Any fave cutscenes in the game?

I'll bring one up that isn't in the main story and if you don't touch crafting you would never see it. The Heavensward culinarian quest line took a sudden, sharp turn at level 60 from the usual fare right into Hildebrand territory. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wD2LLfy5mDE

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They've said they want to give savage raiders something unique without gating story content so the answer is yes probably they'll do something special with Kefka savage

but gogo is my friend in ff6

actually i would like gogo to pop up as a character again

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

O8s is sephiroth

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Any fave cutscenes in the game? I haven’t got into Stormblood yet, but I feel like Ysayle’s last stand and Omega vs. Shinryu have to be up there.

The finale of A Realm Reborn is pretty amazing, but the cutscene after you beat T12 really takes the cake for me

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Regular Kefka has clown form and Angel form, Savage Kefka has you fight that bizarre tower of weirdness in between.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

but gogo is my friend in ff6

actually i would like gogo to pop up as a character again

Gogo can appear as long as we get the entire Amano-drawn outfit for glams.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Regular Kefka has clown form and Angel form, Savage Kefka has you fight that bizarre tower of weirdness in between.

I would enjoy this, but I have a feeling that they are going to save Angel Kekfa for Savage. That's fine, I've accepted I won't see it in person while it's current because I can't commit to a static, but I kind of would like to fight Angel Kefka if I could.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I would be pretty disappointed if non-savage is just clown Kefka, since you never fight him as a clown at the end of the game. I'd bet tower of nastiness normal, with Angel Kefka being Savage.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lori posted:

The finale of A Realm Reborn is pretty amazing, but the cutscene after you beat T12 really takes the cake for me

Also a great one, but kind of cheating due to being an extremely rare case of having actual CGI. It's a shame that they've never budgeted for that again other than for expansion trailers.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I'll bring one up that isn't in the main story and if you don't touch crafting you would never see it. The Heavensward culinarian quest line took a sudden, sharp turn at level 60 from the usual fare right into Hildebrand territory. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wD2LLfy5mDE

Oh yes, the Final Fantasy episode of Shokugeki.

The level 50 quest also stands out for being one of the most badass things the WoL has ever done: mock Lolorito to his face and he just had to sit there and take it with a smile.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TheRagamuffin posted:

I would be pretty disappointed if non-savage is just clown Kefka, since you never fight him as a clown at the end of the game. I'd bet tower of nastiness normal, with Angel Kefka being Savage.

I feel like ugly tower Kefka is such an iconic image that they wouldn't gate it behind savage mode; not when so much of this game is dedicated to letting players relive their favorite final fantasy boss fights.

That's 10000% speculation though, who knows what'll happen. If something's gated behind savage I'll just youtube it and be like "that was cool and i'm glad i don't have to actually learn that fight"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of Savage, does anyone have any tips for A8S Gavel? Because holy poo poo, this is the most unfair bullshit. :supaburn:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I thought Mateus was a special case, specifically in that the lady isn't Mateus, the thing using the lady as a meat shield is Mateus?

quote:

Scion of darkness ruling and protecting those who live in the underworld, in opposition to Lahabrea the Abyssal Celebrant and scion of light. In the course of his rule, he submitted to avarice, and the darkness took his heart, transforming him until he was both evil and corrupt. Then in his cowardice did he bind a Goddess of the Demesne of Ice, and using her as a living shield, he challenged the gods. Defeated before their might, he fell screaming into the depths of hell, there to be imprisoned for eternity.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

TheRagamuffin posted:

You don't fight Exdeath as a knight at the end of FF5, either. You fight him at the end of World 2, which is about 3/4 of the way through (depending on how much side stuff you do in W3) and then fight his tree form (which pops up after The Decisive Battle in XIV) and then NED at the end of FF5.

So, in a way, I can see them doing clown Kefka for normal and angel for savage.

However, clown Kefka is fought relatively early in FF6 (you don't even have Espers yet) and then you never fight him again until the end, so they may not do that this time.

I want to know more about the Phantom Train. There's a section in the trailer that's clearly inside the train, fighting a ghost, and another on top of it. It looks like it could be a Big Bridge-style trial with a bit of trash before the big fight. I'm also curious to see how Chadarnook fits into everything.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ironically the meatfort fight against exdeath is probably the nastiest of the three, at least for most Fiesta runs

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Reiterpallasch posted:

ironically the meatfort fight against exdeath is probably the nastiest of the three, at least for most Fiesta runs

Based on how much I typically have to grind just for enough HP to survive Almagest, nah, it's still Neo.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Jeez, so the drk 35 quest journal says I'm saddened at how weak and cowardly the ala mhigans in the camp have become

Like goddamn, harsh much?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

The intro to Garuda's fight for sure.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Top 3 as far as cutscenes I've gone back and watched a few times:

1. Papalymo. I was just so happy when it asked if I wanted to stay or not. Of course it wasn't gonna matter, but I'm glad I was asked. And I stayed, because my WoL would never accept a plan where someone is left behind without some kind of resistance.
2. The walk up to the Final Steps of Faith because slow walks are awesome.
3. Every time they throw the card in ARR Hildibrand because your character just sorta slightly leans back to avoid it and their eyes track it across the screen. It's like a subtle reminder that you are a god killer and are totally overqualified for anything that could happen.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leofish posted:

I want to know more about the Phantom Train. There's a section in the trailer that's clearly inside the train, fighting a ghost, and another on top of it. It looks like it could be a Big Bridge-style trial with a bit of trash before the big fight. I'm also curious to see how Chadarnook fits into everything.

Since they don't really do semi-dungeon fights in raids any more, my guess was that Phantom Train is the solo unlock instance for Sigmascape. Which of course means that the O5 boss is Siegfried :v:

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Thundarr posted:

Since they don't really do semi-dungeon fights in raids any more, my guess was that Phantom Train is the solo unlock instance for Sigmascape. Which of course means that the O5 boss is Siegfried :v:

You can see in the screenshots from the last Live Letter that Phantom Train is O5S and Chadarnook O6S.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
So I had been thinking to myself how odd it was that ARR only gets 1-20 sightseeing logs, but there's a minion for getting 1-80, of which I assumed was because of HW areas, which strangely were much more.

But....

I looked up Ariyala's SS log tracker and no, ARR does have 80 logs...

gently caress. Fuuuuuck :suicide:

And here I thought that the weather was just extraordinarily rare for that 1-20 was why people were so fed up with it.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
O4S spoilers I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZWNJOPiC8o

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Top 3 as far as cutscenes I've gone back and watched a few times:

1. Papalymo. I was just so happy when it asked if I wanted to stay or not. Of course it wasn't gonna matter, but I'm glad I was asked. And I stayed, because my WoL would never accept a plan where someone is left behind without some kind of resistance.
2. The walk up to the Final Steps of Faith because slow walks are awesome.
3. Every time they throw the card in ARR Hildibrand because your character just sorta slightly leans back to avoid it and their eyes track it across the screen. It's like a subtle reminder that you are a god killer and are totally overqualified for anything that could happen.

I like the cutscene where the Warrior of Light dodges it, Godbert and Hildy pose out of the way, Nashu dodges it with Ultra Instinct or some poo poo, and then it hits Briardien in the forehead.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

This person is actually.... really good.

Like, really good. Why do they only have 626 subs?

edit: Oh. Only five months between video releases. Alright, makes sense.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 25, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hey. Just letting everyone know that I dunno if I'll be around here much anymore. I'm gonna still be playing the game, but I've got a lot of real life stuff going on. Not all of it is great. That doesn't leave much time for message boards and fandom stuff. Gonna be mostly focused on stuff with friends.

I'm really thankful for all the advice you folks gave me. Posting about FF14 is probably the best time I've had on Something Awful.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Jeez, so the drk 35 quest journal says I'm saddened at how weak and cowardly the ala mhigans in the camp have become

Like goddamn, harsh much?

DRK 50 quest spoilers your’re channeling all of your anger over every annoyance through the job crystal and presumably writing your journal at the same time. You clearly have a lot of rage pent up if you can animate a corpse and have him heal you...

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Veks posted:

You can see in the screenshots from the last Live Letter that Phantom Train is O5S and Chadarnook O6S.

So the next four would be Phantom Train, Chadarnook, Guardian, and Kefka then.

This is going to be an interesting tier.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

Hey. Just letting everyone know that I dunno if I'll be around here much anymore. I'm gonna still be playing the game, but I've got a lot of real life stuff going on. Not all of it is great. That doesn't leave much time for message boards and fandom stuff. Gonna be mostly focused on stuff with friends.

I'm really thankful for all the advice you folks gave me. Posting about FF14 is probably the best time I've had on Something Awful.

Hope everything turns well, and if you're still playing feel free to drop story reactions or ask questions any time.

Leofish posted:

So what you're saying is we'll have to run O7S and abandon multiple times before the boss is finally not invincible?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Leofish posted:

Yeah, rewatching the trailer, that's what it certainly looks like.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Actually, isn't there what looks like Atma Weapon / Ultima Buster for just a brief moment in the trailer too?

The real troll move would be for Guardian to be O8 normal, and Kefka only shows up at all in Savage after you destroy Guardian.

E: or maybe Atma Weapon is a Fractal HM boss which would be kind of weird in a "Hey guys how's it going? Oh, no room at your table? I guess I'll sit over there then" sort of way.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Thundarr posted:

Actually, isn't there what looks like Atma Weapon / Ultima Buster for just a brief moment in the trailer too?

There is. I can only make out 4 people running around, so I'm guessing Fractal..