Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The realization that Chuck Schumer thinks he lives in the MCU and he’s Captain America giving the speech over the intercom while the hellicarriers rev up. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can't loving believe the plan is now to hope that white nationalists and nazis feel bad when they deport a bunch of people that the Democrats said they'd protect resulting a two for one of getting rid of non-whites and also making it clear the Democrats are unable to help minorities when it matters and then decide to not chuck 100% of them out of the country.

Someone was joking that Chuck would come back with a bipartisan compromise to only deport half Dreamers but apparently that was his master stroke after all.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 24, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Glad that Alex Azar sailed past confirmation despite being personally responsible for killing diabetics by raising the price of insulin. He should be in jail not in government, though you could probably say the same of most of Trump's appointees at this point.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
“FINALLY!”

- A Trump voter looking at sad photos of kids getting deported.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Glad that Alex Azar sailed past confirmation despite being personally responsible for killing diabetics by raising the price of insulin. He should be in jail not in government, though you could probably say the same of most of Trump's appointees at this point.

The first month of 2018 has me really shook that the Democrats are going to get into power in 2020, undo almost none of Trump's policies because they are too busy figuring out way to do so in a bipartisan manner or way that doesn't piss off corporations then get railed in 2024 by an honest to goodness Richard Spencer style Nazi who isn't going to spend his time owning Democrats by merely being an idiot on twitter.

I'm pretty confident that if the Democrats take the Senate in 2018 and RBG dies they will end up confirming the SCOTUS judge replacement Trump puts up as long as he (and it will be a he) can read his own name.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 24, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Radish posted:

The first month of 2018 has me really shook that the Democrats are going to get into power in 2020, undo almost none of Trump's policies because they are too busy figuring out way to do so in a bipartisan manner or way that doesn't piss off corporations then get railed in 2024 by an honest to goodness Richard Spencer style Nazi who isn't going to spend his time owning Democrats by merely being an idiot on twitter.

I'm pretty confident that if the Democrats take the Senate in 2018 and RBG dies they will end up confirming the SCOTUS judge replacement Trump puts up as long as he (and it will be a he) can read his own name.

Yeah I have no doubt they'd confirm the scotus pick. :decorum:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Galaxy Brain Internet Poster: The Democrats should have taken children's health insurance hostage to pass daca.

Normal Person: Then the GOP would have said "fine, kill CHIP, and we'll still end DACA."

Galaxy Brain Internet Poster: loving democrats!

The Democrats are never going to stop being a waste on their own, because no matter how bad they fail they'll always have people like you there to defend them.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Oh yeah Chuck, I'm sure all the MAGA chuds dripping precum right now are going to get buyers remorse after they bust so hard to the images of people they hate and view as subhuman getting brutalized that blood starts shooting out of their dicks. Keep in mind the Dreamers are only the "good" immigrants with advanced degrees working in white collar fields and not the "bad" immigrants working in brutal, inhuman conditions in factories, farms, and meat processing. The Republicans will cheer triumphantly how their President protected the country from eight hundred thousand terrorists and the immigrants that they actually want will be kept compliant by the real mortal terror that no one in power will ever help them and if they step out of line their children will be ripped from their arms and they'll be sent to Camp Delta.

God just burn this loving demon cracker nation to the ground.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Democrats are collaborators.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ignore, misread what I was quoting

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Maybe the DSA will go full revolutionary after we kill even more children and minorities but I'm doubting it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Maybe the DSA will go full revolutionary after we kill even more children and minorities but I'm doubting it.

I am very interested to know how that turns out for all 30,000 DSA members, comrade.

:(

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The real answer is that democrats had the most leverage back in September of last year, when they could have forced Republicans to at least consider using their reconciliation bill for the year to prevent the shutdown. Once democrats willingly cleared the agenda for the Republicans to push through their policies, it was just a matter of time until Republicans found another hostage to pit against DREAMers. And in the real world even moderate centrists like the Pod Save America guys see the democrats as completely messing this us, but the extremely online people can't ever give an inch, so there's people who believe that Democrats are in a better position now.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I am very interested to know how that turns out for all 30,000 DSA members, comrade.

:(

It's sarcastic. Instead we(the USA) will talk about compassion for people born to the wrong parents but call it an unfortunate accident when they die from lack of Healthcare

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

joepinetree posted:

The real answer is that democrats had the most leverage back in September of last year, when they could have forced Republicans to at least consider using their reconciliation bill for the year to prevent the shutdown. Once democrats willingly cleared the agenda for the Republicans to push through their policies, it was just a matter of time until Republicans found another hostage to pit against DREAMers. And in the real world even moderate centrists like the Pod Save America guys see the democrats as completely messing this us, but the extremely online people can't ever give an inch, so there's people who believe that Democrats are in a better position now.

Oh, no. No, no, it’s “we’re in no position, let dreamers get deported and that’ll show those Republicans” now.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If I could suck myself off I wouldn't be wasting my time arguing with you dorks.

You know this isn’t true.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I am sucking myself off at this very minute and it hasn't stopped me from posting,

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Office Pig posted:

Oh, no. No, no, it’s “we’re in no position, let dreamers get deported and that’ll show those Republicans” now.

Yup. It took two days from it to turn from "no you broke brains they will solve this in three weeks get a check on yourself" to "Look watching the dreamers getting deported was always the best we could have hoped for."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

joepinetree posted:

The real answer is that democrats had the most leverage back in September of last year, when they could have forced Republicans to at least consider using their reconciliation bill for the year to prevent the shutdown.

You mean by blocking hurricane relief funds Puerto Rico?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Would it really have mattered if the dems waited another week or two to cave on this?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nevvy Z posted:

Would it really have mattered if the dems waited another week or two to cave on this?

Considering how awful they are at messaging, I'm going to say no at this point. Schumer is the dumbest motherfucker alive.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Considering how awful they are at messaging, I'm going to say no at this point. Schumer is the dumbest motherfucker alive.

How dare you call aspersions on the political insight of Chuck "For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin" Schumer.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I am sucking myself off at this very minute and it hasn't stopped me from posting,

:siren: Steve Bannon account spotted :siren:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Radish posted:

How dare you call aspersions on the political insight of Chuck "For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin" Schumer.

I voted for this dipshit, I get to call him names. :smith:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

At the start of Trump's term, even I didn't think the Democrats could gently caress things up this bad. They have really gone above and beyond

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

:same: Hopefully there will be a decent primary challenger/he retires when his term ends.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is always Democrats' Plan A. Just let Republicans hurt people in terrible ways until finally the American people come crawling back to us for one election cycle.

Plan B is, of course, demographic destiny. "We don't have to do anything ever because the magic of Latino sex will make Republicans a permanent rump party in 2 4 8 24 years!" *voter turnout continues to fall as no one bothers to show up for politicians who won't do anything for them anyway*

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I had to vote for Kaine I understand. :smith:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

Yup. It took two days from it to turn from "no you broke brains they will solve this in three weeks get a check on yourself" to "Look watching the dreamers getting deported was always the best we could have hoped for."

The biggest bit of dark comedy is watching places like the Trump thread literally arguing that nothing that the Dems do matters and getting really mad if you suggest otherwise.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Radish posted:

I had to vote for Kaine I understand. :smith:

WOOF, that might be worse. Only by a little but yeeesh.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

The biggest bit of dark comedy is watching places like the Trump thread literally arguing that nothing that the Dems do matters and getting really mad if you suggest otherwise.

I got dogpiled and called "emotional" for pointing out that when you go "whelp, nothing we can do" is awful considering a EO by Obama, and Dems voting against it when they had a majority got us here in the first place.

That thread is loving poison.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There's a lot of people that don't understand how we ended up in this situation with the Dreamers and the hand the Democrats had in it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The issue with DACA is that Democrats made a promise back when, at best could be said to have hosed up the tactics, and now have left these people in an untenable situation because there's no way that Republicans will actually do anything, and Democrats haven't just come out and say "We totally hosed up on this" because they're still trying to spin this wildly.

Schumer's pretense that "the optics" are gonna change anything is just delusional

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Schumer isn't delusional, he's hoping something happens in the next few weeks that resolves this issue in a way he doesn't take the fall for or that it ends up not mattering to elections in 2018.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

But why did he do it in the first place?? That's what I can't understand.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

But why did he do it in the first place?? That's what I can't understand.

because he doesn't care about dreamers and he thinks this will make Rs look like cruel extremists while portraying Ds as a reasonable party willing to compromise, cross the aisle, work together, <insert cliche>, and the votes from all those decorum-loving suburbians will flip

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I think VitalSigns had it closest. Schumer just intends to let Trump brutalize the left to send them crawling back to the moderate Dems next election. Very cynical and may just work!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chomskyan posted:

I think VitalSigns had it closest. Schumer just intends to let Trump brutalize the left to send them crawling back to the moderate Dems next election. Very cynical and may just work!

The only way it works is by the left taking over the Dems, which are really resistant to change. We're hosed.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Pollyanna posted:

The only way it works is by the left taking over the Dems, which are really resistant to change. We're hosed.

not just resistant to change, actively fighting it to the point of handing seats to repubs to avoid the left-wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Article on the Chelsea Manning thing: She is naive and has terrible friends.

TL;DR: Fairbanks, a "progressive"-turned-Trumpist, wrote her a bunch of letters while Manning was in prison and kept admiring her even after the former switched political sides. The two became friends, and Fairbanks is the one who invited Manning to the escape room, having the group keep political chatter to a minimum. She's also the one who invited her to the more recent thing, and Manning saw it as an opportunity to infiltrate the right, as she said. So, whole thing was pretty much what the people who didn't get into crazy conspiracy theories or let their transphobia shine through expected.

Also, apparently the person in the military who told her to take her leaks to Wikileaks, despite supporting her initially, is the one who turned her in. I was not aware of that, but wow, Manning somehow makes the worst friends.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 24, 2018

• Locked thread