Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i really hope what sparked that was something like her asking who the best sex he ever had was with, don't worry I won't get mad if you don't say me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that dude is a victim of sexual assault, not a pervert or monster. Here's rationalized it in his mind, but he's a victim nonetheless.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah that dude is a victim of sexual assault, not a pervert or monster. Here's rationalized it in his mind, but he's a victim nonetheless.

gently caress, I didn't even think of it that way at first. It's hosed up on the sex with your son level, sex with a minor level, and probably two or three more and I don't wanna think about this any more.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why can't he just talk to Kate / Amanda at some later point and figure out what, if anything, she wants to do about it? Like maybe they could discuss it like adults? Just spitballing here, that seems like an option besides "TELL THE PRINCIPAL BEFORE YOU GET IN TROUBLE"

maybe he should discuss it like adults with his girlfriend, because she obviously has a right to know. It's her call if she wants to end things over it or not, but staying in a relationship with her while intentionally withholding something like that is not okay.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, the mother is definitely at fault here, but it sounds like this guy has rationalized it away and doesn’t think her behavior was harmful. On the other hand, I would be pretty freaked out if my husband nonchalantly brought up during truth-or-dare that he and his mom used to gently caress when he was a teenager and they still send each other suggestive texts. :cry:

I don’t what the hell I would do in that situation, especially if I had previously gotten along with the mother. At least there’s no kids involved...

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ArbitraryC posted:

maybe he should discuss it like adults with his girlfriend, because she obviously has a right to know. It's her call if she wants to end things over it or not, but staying in a relationship with her while intentionally withholding something like that is not okay.

I believe the sister has a greater right to manage the release of this information than he does, given that the sister is a member of the family and he is simply dating a family member.

To me it's selfishness masquerading as virtue to say "I know what's best for everyone, the sister, the SO, and so I'm going to do it exactly how I think it's best - and if it blows up, I'll just say I was being Honest, the best policy"

If he was adult enough to have hookups with strangers then it seems adult to try to manage that former hookup in a mature way, instead of doing this bizarre virtue / purging ritual in which you throw a grenade into the relationship, throw a grenade into a family's relationship, and declare yourself absolved of secrecy / the better person in the process

The sister he slept with is asking him not to disclose what happened, I find it odd how people reframe that into "It's your DUTY to disclose" and obviously I get that they see it differently than I do

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
never emotionally cheated but still sexts his mom

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Palpek posted:

Another day, another open relationship story

My (19F) BPD is getting in the way of my open relationship with my boyfriend (22M)

lol as someone with BPD an open relationship would be my biggest nightmare, it would just fuel the fears and doubts you have. that's a really loving dumb thing to do if you're mentally ill imo

like imagine the jealousy you've seen from people talking about their semi-willing open relationships in this thread and multiply it many times over, plus impulsiveness and anger

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I believe the sister has a greater right to manage the release of this information than he does, given that the sister is a member of the family and he is simply dating a family member.

To me it's selfishness masquerading as virtue to say "I know what's best for everyone, the sister, the SO, and so I'm going to do it exactly how I think it's best - and if it blows up, I'll just say I was being Honest, the best policy"

If he was adult enough to have hookups with strangers then it seems adult to try to manage that former hookup in a mature way, instead of doing this bizarre virtue / purging ritual in which you throw a grenade into the relationship, throw a grenade into a family's relationship, and declare yourself absolved of secrecy / the better person in the process

The sister he slept with is asking him not to disclose what happened, I find it odd how people reframe that into "It's your DUTY to disclose" and obviously I get that they see it differently than I do

his gf has the right to know he slept with her sister, if the sister won't tell her, he does have the duty to disclose it because she deserves to know. I dunno about you but I'd feel incredibly violated if someone hid that kind of thing from me and continued to maintain a relationship. I would never date or hookup with someone who had been involved with one of my other family members, that's just gross.

In this case she may be able to move past it because it's so odd of a situation, but she has a right to make that decision with all relevant information.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I mean, its not his duty to disclose but If I were him I would be giving more consideration to the feelings of my current serious partner than a former fling from a long time ago.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I think the important thing to note here is that Ham Sandwiches, Bitcoin Enthusiast, doesn't believe people have the right to an informed decision about their lives, and will lie to preserve his own comfort and way of life.

Ham Sandwiches - Quality human being

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I think the important thing to note here is that Ham Sandwiches, Bitcoin Enthusiast, doesn't believe people have the right to an informed decision about their lives, and will lie to preserve his own comfort and way of life.

Hmm yeah dude this is great stuff, when we start talking about how people are pieces of poo poo for chiming in on reddit stories with their take, it absolutely improves the discourse of the thread for commenting on reddit stories

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hmm yeah dude this is great stuff, when we start talking about how people are pieces of poo poo for chiming in on reddit stories with their take, it absolutely improves the discourse of the thread for commenting on reddit stories

Keep lying to make yourself comfortable.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ArbitraryC posted:

his gf has the right to know he slept with her sister, if the sister won't tell her, he does have the duty to disclose it because she deserves to know. I dunno about you but I'd feel incredibly violated if someone hid that kind of thing from me and continued to maintain a relationship. I would never date or hookup with someone who had been involved with one of my other family members, that's just gross.

Yes and if the OP's SO feels the same way, then he is going to 100% torch the relationship, and probably going to cause issues with the sister, and I don't think it should be done super lightly. Amanda seems like they should potentially have a say, especially since they remain a part of the family and have to deal with the fallout even if the SO breaks up with the OP.

Like, what exactly changed? He dated this lady for 2 years, and someone out of the blue came up to him and said "oh yeah, this happened, but let's not make a big deal about it." There's a lot of ways to react, I really don't see this sort of straightforward "Ok, begin confession protocol, it is my duty" routine that you do as the obvious answer.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Keep lying to make yourself comfortable.

Do you really want me to start calling you a self described fat nerd whenever you comment? Because I don't think that would improve things, but I can if you would like

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm somewhat new to this thread, is slap fighting a norm here?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Over There posted:

yes

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Over There posted:

You don't get it someone was wrong on the internet.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Over There posted:

yes

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Yeah, tell the girlfriend, or live a life of deceit which is good and healthy for long term relationships

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Over There posted:

Your reg date is approaching five years, come on man (or woman)!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Skutter posted:

Your reg date is approaching five years, come on man (or woman)!

Sorry I tend to stay away from threads that move super quickly! I'm working on it!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yes and if the OP's SO feels the same way, then he is going to 100% torch the relationship, and probably going to cause issues with the sister, and I don't think it should be done super lightly. Amanda seems like they should potentially have a say, especially since they remain a part of the family and have to deal with the fallout even if the SO breaks up with the OP.

Like, what exactly changed? He dated this lady for 2 years, and someone out of the blue came up to him and said "oh yeah, this happened, but let's not make a big deal about it." There's a lot of ways to react, I really don't see this sort of straightforward "Ok, begin confession protocol, it is my duty" routine that you do as the obvious answer.

"It might be inconvenient to tell the truth, so I should just live a lie instead". Like what the hell is wrong with you, the gf has a right to know and even if it means blowing up the relationship that's her business and her call to make. It'd be a lovely thing to do to hide it now that he's aware of the situation. If she'd be uncomfortable staying involved with him and continuing to have sex with him knowing he banged her sister, then willfully omitting that is trying to dodge around her informed consent, it's a violation of her boundaries.

Amanda doesn't get a say here because the gf's needs take priority here, if amanda was leading some sort of weird double life and this is the thread that unravels the whole tapestry of lies then that's her problem.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hello here is my unironic advice to the guy in the Amanda / Katie story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERm_WNxGs1U

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ArbitraryC posted:

"It might be inconvenient to tell the truth, so I should just live a lie instead". Like what the hell is wrong with you, the gf has a right to know and even if it means blowing up the relationship that's her business and her call to make.

Amanda doesn't get a say here because the gf's needs take priority here, if amanda was leading some sort of weird double life and this is the thread that unravels the whole tapestry of lies then that's her problem.

I think he should speak with Amanda and explain that he feels strongly that they need to say something to the SO, and that he's ok with giving her some time to figure out how to explain it in a way of her choosing. I would ask why she doesn't want to explain and when she thinks she might feel up to saying it. Based on how Amanda responds I'd figure out what to do next. I think that's fair given that Amanda is part of the family and that the way this plays out could have lots of repercussions for her.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I think he should speak with Amanda and explain that he feels strongly that they need to say something to the SO, and that he's ok with giving her some time to figure out how to explain it in a way of her choosing. I would ask why she doesn't want to explain and when she thinks she might feel up to saying it. Based on how Amanda responds I'd figure out what to do next. I think that's fair given that Amanda is part of the family and that the way this plays out could have lots of repercussions for her.
You're attempting to form a partnership with your girlfriend. Not her sister. I think he should just tell his girlfriend what happened. It will blow over quick, and if it doesn't, oh well. That's life.

It's called having integrity.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hammy, if we start going on a few page derail about cooking or gluten or proper bathroom etiquette or something, will you shut the gently caress up for a few pages?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

LadyPictureShow posted:

Hammy, if we start going on a few page derail about cooking or gluten or proper bathroom etiquette or something, will you shut the gently caress up for a few pages?

I'm not sure I understand, there's plenty of stories like allergy chat that goes on for pages and I skim past because it doesn't interest me, can you not do the same for topics that you don't like?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Over There posted:

I don't think that is how Borderline Personality Disorder works...

The Kermit stuff was dumb, obviously, but irrational fear of abandonment is one of the symptoms of Borderline. It's a bit like bipolar disorder, but instead of swinging from depression to mania, it swings from I LOVE YOU AND I TRUST YOU COMPLETELY to crazy paranoia and poo poo like cutting people off "before they can hurt you."

Over There posted:

yes, send help

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Please don't do this here - I don't think anyone clicks on this thread because they want to hear about bitcoins or what you think of some other poster.

it's really bad when the thread decides to discuss pick or whatever and it's not any better when it's another poster

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Have some :kimchi:.

There is a trans girl [17 F] in my [17 M] school that I can't get out of my mind. I have a massive crush on her but I'm also afraid of social suicide if I ask her out.

quote:

Ladies and Gentlemen of Reddit, I can't even begin to explain how absolutely and painfully beautiful this girl is. She totally makes me feel lovesick. If I were a cartoon my eyes would turn to hearts and leap from their sockets whenever I see her. She makes me feel weak in the knees... the butterflies in my belly are aggressive and many... I could write poetry about this woman.

Unfortunately the majority of people don't see her like I do. She only started transitioning a year and a half ago. It's a smaller community, so she's been around ever since I started going to school. A lot of people refer to her as "he". I've even heard a teacher or two mistakenly (or perhaps on purpose) call her by her prior name. She has a much more feminine name now.

Girls are more friendly with her, but a lot of guys, my friends included make a lot of rude and derogatory remarks about her. They talk about how she'll never be a real woman and how they'd never touch someone like her.

She is so real to me though. No doubt about it. I've never felt this crazy about a girl before. We go to the same after school art club which is when I really started crushing on her. Her art, guys. HER ART. God. Please. Just ugh...

She's so talented. It was portrait week and we got paired up. We did each others portraits and it was MAGICAL. It was like a Jack and Rose moment, except nobody was naked and neither of us died. She said she loved the picture of her I drew and she asked to keep it.

We have exchanged numbers and we text a lot. Just last night she asked to hang out sometime out of school. I'm currently home half dead from the flu, but when I'm better I really want to take her out. I want to do something extremely special. I want to ask if she wants a date.

However, I know the second word spreads we are hanging out or people see us together, or if we become a "thing" guys will be awful to me and I know my friends won't get it. I don't know if they'd disown me, but obviously I couldn't be friends with people who make fun of my girl friend.

I haven't talked to my parents. I don't know how they'd feel about her. My older sister who just graduated high school last year says I should stay away from her because of all the drama she could cause. Plus my sister thinks I could become the target of bullies and people might even think I'm gay. This is definitely something I worry about.

My little brother (who is in middle school, so I don't know how credible his advice is) says I should bring her flowers to school on valentines day because he bets no other guy has given her flowers before. I think this is amazing. I'd definitely like being the first guy to ever give her flowers, but it's also a very public and romantic gesture. There is no second guessing the nature of it. She also deserves flowers on valentines day. I want to make her smile.

This has turned novella length. I should quit rambling. I could ramble about her for DAYS. Believe me.

What do I do? I think I know what to do. I mean, I know what I WANT to do. I want to make her feel special. I want to be her boyfriend. I'm just terrified of the social repercussions and I'm a little terrified of what my parents might think too. Maybe they won't care. Maybe nobody would care. That's highly unrealistic.

What would you guys do in my shoes? What's the smart move?

tl;dr: Do I ask her out even though people wouldn't really get it? I don't want everybody to hate me. But I really want her to like me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Go get her and gently caress anyone who thinks poorly of you for it. :kimchi:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

at the very least i hope he can continue to be a good friend to her considering how lovely the rest of their community seems to be

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

It is 100% social suicide and he should 100% still do it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If he's not able to reach that conclusion alone, he's not gonna be able to stick with it and he's gonna end up hurting her worse.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Haifisch posted:

There is a trans girl [17 F] in my [17 M] school that I can't get out of my mind. I have a massive crush on her but I'm also afraid of social suicide if I ask her out.

"I could write poetry about this woman"

"We did each others portraits and it was MAGICAL. It was like a Jack and Rose moment, except nobody was naked and neither of us died. "

Glad to hear about the romance kid but maybe leave poetry on the bench for now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Anne Whateley posted:

If he's not able to reach that conclusion alone, he's not gonna be able to stick with it and he's gonna end up hurting her worse.
In the comments he was pretty much immediately convinced to get her flowers and started worrying about which flowers to get her, so I think he'll be fine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do people still watch titanic? That film is 4 years older than this boy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

homeboy already understands any friend who'd poo poo on his girlfriend isn't a friend worth keeping, i think he'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Haifisch posted:

I keep having this internal dialogue where it's like "well just come out as gay and say gently caress the consequences" but he's attracted to her as a female. I guess whatever wedding tackle you have don't matter. It's all love anyway.

Nobody is gonna give a poo poo when they graduate anyway. It's 2018. Your real friends will stick with you.