Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PleasureKevin posted:

because every social platform follows nearly the exact same design as every platform before it. history shows if you add a comment section, racist rants will take over. if you add private messages, people will get sexually harassed and threatened. if you add photo upload, you'll get dick pics, etc.

companies don't look at this and see "oh jeez that's proven to be a toxic formula", they see "that's proven to uh 'drive engagement'". or they're just extremely lazy and love to copy what so-and-so did.

okcupid seems to have finally woken up to this and made changes. now, men's messages don't go to women's inboxes, they only show up if you indicate you like each other, or they view your profile. you must also now share your first name. it's lead to a 67% decrease in messages flagged as offensive.

there are some really awful plans too. Twitter has handed over almost complete moderation power to celebrities, and will block anyone who isn't civil, while keeping around folks who openly want genocide, as long as they don't swear. Facebook seems to be trying to ban non-centrist news because pundits are blaming them for Trump. reddit seems to be turning a blind-eye to an extreme amount of astro-turfing. chris poole from 4chan just bailed lol.

good post PK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

recurring revenue is king

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

recurring revenue is king

That reminds me: tell your mother I'll be late for my "appointment" on Thursday.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
onenote on my computer suddenly decided my account didn't have permissions to connect to my office 365 account so maybe i should check out evernote

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

onenote on my computer suddenly decided my account didn't have permissions to connect to my office 365 account so maybe i should check out evernote

im kinda stuck at this question too now. cant figure out if i want evernote, onenote, or boostnote, or something else - basically so i dont have troubles using that any desktop systems or ios device. tried spacemacs but after the intial interest dwindled i just set task poo poo up in asana and now want to figure notes out for good

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
With classes starting today ("Linux for babbies" and "Network security for literal goddamn idiots") I told myself I was going to finally get around to doing OneNote rather than paper notes.

But of-loving-course the iOS OneNote can only connect to OneDrive and not iCloud because: gently caress you.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Schadenboner posted:

With classes starting today ("Linux for babbies" and "Network security for literal goddamn idiots") I told myself I was going to finally get around to doing OneNote rather than paper notes.

But of-loving-course the iOS OneNote can only connect to OneDrive and not iCloud because: gently caress you.

dude that's like complaining Google Docs doesn't use iCloud

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

cheers mate, suspected as much so this one out then i guess, unless it for some reason does have dropbox

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

You Am I posted:

dude that's like complaining Google Docs doesn't use iCloud

yeah just like google docs, compound with a desktop version that can be used to save your files anywhere you want in full

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

onenote is legit good, but always do paper notes for actual lectures you want to learn something from

the notes are, as always, worthless, but taking them is how you structure the contents in your mind

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just write your notes on your surface into one note.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no, on paper, in effect, hopefully, into your memory

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

onenote is legit good, but always do paper notes for actual lectures you want to learn something from

the notes are, as always, worthless, but taking them is how you structure the contents in your mind

Shaggar posted:

just write your notes on your surface into one note.

nah, paper notes are much better absorbed in writing that any form of computerised notes. besides, any screens of any kind have been shown to serve as a massive distraction regardless of circumstances.

my note taking question is not about classroom or meeting notes or whatever, those i always take on paper first. i just want some tolerable way to write down that food recipe at home somewhere or how hosed is xyz database table at work or whatever, without locking myself too much down to platform or anything

evernote is kinda the answer but it bothers me that there doesnt seem to be a decent competitor on the whole, unless you are using desktop version of onenote on windows

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i do paper/whiteboard into office lens into onenote and build from there, but i suspect the evernote workflow is 90% the same and the remaining 10% is preference

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i do paper/whiteboard into office lens into onenote and build from there, but i suspect the evernote workflow is 90% the same and the remaining 10% is preference

my workflow is a bit more boring even, just type it in for the second time for better absorption. sure, phone photo of a picture or whatever tho

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Yeah, I've never been able to computerize notes. I'm getting my ADD back under control for the first time since I graduated University and I'm trying to unfuck stuff, but I think OneNote may be a bridge too far.

And apparently of limited value?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Game Pass works on Windows 10 for Play Anywhere games too

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/955924123816927232

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

Game Pass works on Windows 10 for Play Anywhere games too

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/955924123816927232

it's weird to watch microsoft do something right with a consumer-focused product

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

funny that sea of thieves will launch just as MS is abandoning ship

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/want-to-see-all-data-windows-10-sends-microsoft-theres-an-app-for-that/

:thunk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im kinda stuck at this question too now. cant figure out if i want evernote, onenote, or boostnote, or something else - basically so i dont have troubles using that any desktop systems or ios device. tried spacemacs but after the intial interest dwindled i just set task poo poo up in asana and now want to figure notes out for good

trip report. boostnote seems to be fully needs suiting for me. has tex, has syntax highlight, supports version control for notes, and can be exported to plain text or whatever. enough supplementary markdown stuff for generic notes

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

One of Britain's biggest car insurers has admitted increasing premiums for drivers who apply using a Hotmail account. From a report:

Motorists seeking cover from Admiral could be charged $45 extra if they use certain email addresses. The insurer said some domain names were "associated with more accidents" than others, raising applicants' risk profile. Figures from the Association of British Insurers to be published today show that the cost of car insurance has increased by more than a quarter over the past three years. Admiral said that hundreds of factors were used by underwriters in setting car insurance, with riskier motorists paying more. Issues included the age of a driver and their postcode.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Schadenboner posted:

The OneDrive integration works fine just use it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

not everyone always can/want use it, however

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

yeah its extremely difficult to use a thing they give away for free

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

in order to get my onenote to sync again i turned off the office 365 account integration inside of windows 10

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

which one of you stole my posts for an article

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-01-23-xbox-is-preparing-for-a-post-console-future

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

for personal use it's probably not an issue, but boyo's in latvia and his company may have a requirement that sensitive materials are only hosted in-country, which ms does not do for latvia

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
RT, but RTier

Microsoft is building a true 'modern' version of Windows 10 for PCs codenamed Polaris

quote:

According to my sources, Microsoft is building a brand new version of Windows 10 for PC devices like desktops, laptops and 2-in-1's. This new version is entirely built on UWP, making it Microsoft's first truly modern Windows OS for the traditional PC form factor. It strips out old legacy components and features in favor of a lighter OS with excellent battery life and performance.

quote:

As with all versions of Windows 10 built on Windows Core OS, Polaris will feature CShell, Microsoft's upcoming universal shell that's shared across devices. This will offer the traditional desktop environment that PC users are already accustomed to. The current Windows Shell is one of the major legacy components that Microsoft is replacing in Polaris; along with stripping out legacy, unneeded Win32 components in favor of a UWP-only experience, just like Windows 10 Mobile.

quote:

Sources say that Microsoft is looking into bringing Win32 app support to Polaris via remote virtualization, kind of like how HP did on the Elite x3, but with containers that make for a more "native" experience. I don't have all the details on this just yet, but I am told that it is something Microsoft is seriously invested in for Polaris as it will allow users to use Win32 programs when required.

"Hey remember those failed attempts? It's like that, but"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

RT, but RTier

Microsoft is building a true 'modern' version of Windows 10 for PCs codenamed Polaris

does this mean Windows 7 and 8 would effectively not get new software

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

RT, but RTier

jokes on them. there's no such thing as unneeded win32 components

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yes i want to store every loving thing in a different cloud storage. alternatively, let me share you this step by step guide for using onedrive on linux:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
ballmers fart cloud

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

for personal use it's probably not an issue, but boyo's in latvia and his company may have a requirement that sensitive materials are only hosted in-country, which ms does not do for latvia

i don't store anything sensitive outside our corporate-managed "cloud". i just dont want to hardlock myself to something - the hell with onenote's file format (which is pain in the rear end as is), it'd be nice if, much like desktop version of it, mobile onenote could save its notes anywhere. i get the technical limitation of in-browser onenote, sure, but there's no rational reason to lock that down on mobile platforms

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

nevermind

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 25, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

does everything get stored in OneCloud with no choice to disable it?

not on windows desktop version. maybe not on mac os desktop version too. everywhere else - yes, as far as i can tell.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
there wasn’t a local store option last time i used it on the mac but you can mess with the files crudely to workaround if you really desire

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

lol is this real?

https://twitter.com/noahdleigh/status/956567966405062656

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

mascots are typically used by cheap, low-priced brands not well known for their quality

so carry on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

but i wouldn't eat that burrito, it's clearly gone purple