Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

bull3964 posted:

I put in a Sony AX100 head unit. Barebones and inexpensive, but solid with a few minor nits.

What year WRX did you put it in? I would be adding one to my 2017 Limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

aluminumonkey posted:

What year WRX did you put it in? I would be adding one to my 2017 Limited.

2011, so you would need a different wiring harness.

This guy is great and builds custom harness with additional wires for the steering wheel controls so no splicing of anything is needed.

http://ae64.com

Only "issue" I had is I ordered a part I didn't need. I ordered a steering wheel controller, but that was unnecessary for my car with that specific Sony deck (it would have been necessary with any other deck). All I had to do is splice in a 3.5mm adapter to the wiring harness I ordered. I'm not 100% sure if that also works on the next gen like yours. But it was literally plug and play on mine. I just had to go in and map the buttons to functions afterwards.

I only have two issues with it. One, you can't disable the startup click though warning. Two, there is a firmware bug where it sometimes resets the date and time. If it does that, you can't connect to Android Auto until you set it back because the phone can't handshake with the deck with a mismatched datetime. I've only had that happen twice in the past 4 months.

Having full Google Assistant on tap with a button press is amazing. I was listening to a SciFi podcast that took place on Venus. I did a double take when they described the character as 100 days old. I remembered that Venus's day was much much longer than ours but I couldn't remember specifically. So, I just tapped the button and asked Assistant how long a day in Venus was. 116 days. Oh, so the character was 34 years old. After I got my answer it went right back into the podcast.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 24, 2018

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've convinced myself that my launch pixel XL is basically useless as a phone since it randomly locks up if you try to use the microphone at all (and the headphone jack seems dead too). Seems to be an occasional problem for people who upgraded the oreo update, but since my pixel's over a year old google just directed me to a third party repair shop that's 6 hours away for help.

Since I like to be able to use my phone in an emergency, I'm back on my OG moto x. It took literal hours for it to update all the apps it had installed, but at least it still works even though it looks like it should be broken as poo poo with all the cracks it has all over the screen and case. Sucks not having google assistant though, and it really sucks that my pixel decided to break at a lovely time with new phones coming out in a month or two. :negative:

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 24, 2018

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mr. Despair posted:

I've convinced myself that my launch pixel XL is basically useless as a phone since it randomly locks up if you try to use the microphone at all (and the headphone jack seems dead too). Seems to be a common problem for people who upgraded the oreo update, but since my pixel's over a year old google just directed me to a third party repair shop that's 6 hours away for help.

Since I like to be able to use my phone in an emergency, I'm back on my OG moto x. It took literal hours for it to update all the apps it had installed, but at least it still works even though it looks like it should be broken as poo poo with all the cracks it has all over the screen and case. Sucks not having google assistant though, and it really sucks that my pixel decided to break at a lovely time with new phones coming out in a month or two. :negative:

Between the Nexus 6P's many faults, the 5x dying, and the Pixel having issues now, what's the loving problem, Google? Jesus, get your poo poo together, or there's not going to be a phone to recommend.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thread 4 months ago:

Google doesn't matter, we all need to be focusing on the manufacturer!

Thread now:

WTF Google designing lovely hardware!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sharkytm posted:

Between the Nexus 6P's many faults, the 5x dying, and the Pixel having issues now, what's the loving problem, Google? Jesus, get your poo poo together, or there's not going to be a phone to recommend.

There is a phone to recommend, and that phone is the Moto G5 Plus by Lenovo.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Still thoroughly enjoying my Moto Z2 Force by Lenovo

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mr. Despair posted:

Seems to be a common problem for people who upgraded the oreo update,

It seems to be a common problem amongst people who have had a problem, which is worlds away from being the same thing as a common problem.

All phones have problems, and all phones that have problems have some type of problem that is the most common of the problems it has. Not all phones have common problems.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Whoa, my bad for phrasing that so poorly, didn't mean to be such an apparent vocal minority

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone with a Moto G5+ w/ Amazon ads please try this:

1. Make sure Moto Display is enabled
2. Turn off/lock your phone
3. Without pressing the power button, try to read a fingerprint that isn't registered, make sure it says, "Fingerprint not recognized"
4. Press the power button to wake the screen up, it should display the lock screen with an ad
5. Click on the ad.
6. Congrats, you now have access to the phone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKl9RNwKeUM

For whatever reason though, if I let my phone sit long enough while locked, I can't replicate the issue. But, even with the "Instantly lock on power button" thing enabled you can still get right into the phone shortly after it's been "locked".

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 24, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ads, always loving things up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mr. Despair posted:

Whoa, my bad for phrasing that so poorly, didn't mean to be such an apparent vocal minority

The problem is that people will take something like that and run with it and next thing you know Pixel microphones are eating babies.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Just wanted to jump in here with:

My Pixel XL 2 still going great.
My previous Pixel XL poo poo the bed and was replaced for free by Google.
My previous Nexus 6P had battery issues after I gave it to my wife, replaced with a Pixel XL for free by Google.
My Nexus 6 still working just fine for my mother in law.

No idea how the 5 I owned before that is doing, it went to Swappa.

Overall I've had 2 hardware issues (6P and Pixel) both of which were well fixed by Google, otherwise I have enjoyed and had little issue with any of my phones.

Oh, and the Nexus 7 is still doing yeoman's work as a baby monitor.

Felt like somebody should relate a good experience every now and then.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FunOne posted:

Just wanted to jump in here with:

My Pixel XL 2 still going great.
My previous Pixel XL poo poo the bed and was replaced for free by Google.
My previous Nexus 6P had battery issues after I gave it to my wife, replaced with a Pixel XL for free by Google.
My Nexus 6 still working just fine for my mother in law.

Those of us that had Nexus 5x / 6P not purchased through Google had a radically different support experience. I tried contacting them at one point, they told me to take it up with the original retailer or manufacturer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have to wonder what some people do with their phones to cause so many issues. Granted I've only owned two smart phones so far, but my Pixel XL hasn't had any problems, and I've had it since November 2016.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If any of you are looking for wireless earbuds for your phone and it supports Bluetooth 5, I highly recommend the new Zolo Liberty+. These things are amazing.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

If any of you are looking for wireless earbuds for your phone and it supports Bluetooth 5, I highly recommend the new Zolo Liberty+. These things are amazing.

From where?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FunOne posted:

From where?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075JCG29M

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I have to wonder what some people do with their phones to cause so many issues. Granted I've only owned two smart phones so far, but my Pixel XL hasn't had any problems, and I've had it since November 2016.

Honestly this is the first time I've had a phone break in such a way that it's not usable, so I shouldn't complain. The annoying bit is that this was also thinking first phone I bought new in years, since my OG Moto x. poo poo happens, I know.

The weird bit is that my Moto x still works pretty well even though it literally has so many cracks on the plastic that you have to be careful when you take it out of the case, otherwise the back will peal off. It blows my mind how durable old Motorola phones are (my old bionic still works fine, apart from being painfully slow).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unfortunately, the Zolo Liberty+ still aren't in sale in the US.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If that moto x is on marshmallow you could try this to get the assistant

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...d-apk-download/

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you're on fi you can use smart replies in Android messages now. Also google may have been mining your texts

quote:

Starting today, Project Fi customers can send automated replies via Android Messages with a single tap using Smart Reply. The nature of the rollout is a bit unclear, because Smart Reply requires access to conversation data in order to suggest responses. (Some speculate that Google is analyzing Fi subscribers’ SMS histories.) It’s also not yet clear whether Smart Reply on Android Messages will remain exclusive to Project Fi , or whether it will come to other carriers in the future — a Google spokesperson confirmed to The Verge that Smart Reply “is only available for Project Fi users for now”.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Iron Crowned posted:

The chipsets used in phones are manufactured rapidly by the millions after thorough testing on a small sample of units. When you get to that kind of scale, it's not impossible to imagine a flaw manifesting in multiple thousands of devices and not getting caught until they're already in people's hands.

And that's not accounting for things like weather and just dumb luck.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blue Train posted:

If you're on fi you can use smart replies in Android messages now. Also google may have been mining your texts

Today in the least surprising news of all time...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that seems sort of odd considering they could just use Messages itself to read your texts?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

For fun, this is what my moto-x looks like even though it spent most of it's like in a fairly beefy speck case:

It's been through bike crashes, car crashes, mishaps a mile underground, all sorts of poo poo that makes it look like rear end bu they, those cracks probably kept anything actually vital inside from being jarred enough to come loose, like a crumple zone. I'm glad I kept it around as a backup phone.

That said as I was typing this I remembered that I did RMA my first moto x back in 2014 but I have no idea why I sent it in... so the moral of the story is that yeah, sometimes poo poo just breaks, and sometimes it'll go through hell and be just fine, but the most important thing is to have your coffee before you post in the morning after dealing with tech support :yaycloud:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
has anyone been getting terrible audio quality with their Pixel 2's dongle? trying to figure out if mine maybe came out junk. with my old G5, I used to bring it into the studio and just run it through the patchbay to do critical listening. first try with the new Pixel here and the audio sounds like it was bitcrushed to hell, like I'm listening to MP3 128. I'm inclined to think it's just the dongle because I was reading that the Pixel 2's dongle apparently rates pretty highly. maybe there's a setting or a proper way to use it I'm not getting?

I already carry around a fuckton of tiny tech gadgets and accessories, so having to now carry a flash drive full of wave files isn't necessarily a hard ask, it was just convenient to run stuff from my phone before

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

It's also a way to ensure testing on one carrier, newer phones, and newer OS versions.

But they're probably still reading your texts.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Unfortunately, the Zolo Liberty+ still aren't in sale in the US.

Allow me to gloat as this is probably the only time Canada gets a tech thing before the US does!!!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Allow me to gloat as this is probably the only time Canada gets a tech thing before the US does!!!

Don't lose the charging case.

https://www.androidcentral.com/zolo-liberty-mini-review

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yuuuup saw that. Can't remember where, but I read that allegedly Anker/Zolo does plan to offer single part replacements like Apple does with the Airpods, in case you lose like one earbud or something, but the excuse atm is they don't have any supply (makes sense considering it's not even for sale in the US yet). I've always had good experiences with Anker service so I'm not overly concerned yet, however I plan to be very careful.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Turdsdown Tom posted:

has anyone been getting terrible audio quality with their Pixel 2's dongle? trying to figure out if mine maybe came out junk. with my old G5, I used to bring it into the studio and just run it through the patchbay to do critical listening. first try with the new Pixel here and the audio sounds like it was bitcrushed to hell, like I'm listening to MP3 128. I'm inclined to think it's just the dongle because I was reading that the Pixel 2's dongle apparently rates pretty highly. maybe there's a setting or a proper way to use it I'm not getting?

I already carry around a fuckton of tiny tech gadgets and accessories, so having to now carry a flash drive full of wave files isn't necessarily a hard ask, it was just convenient to run stuff from my phone before

Nah, the DAC is supposed to be pretty good, it's been good to me

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bull3964 posted:

2011, so you would need a different wiring harness.

This guy is great and builds custom harness with additional wires for the steering wheel controls so no splicing of anything is needed.

http://ae64.com

Only "issue" I had is I ordered a part I didn't need. I ordered a steering wheel controller, but that was unnecessary for my car with that specific Sony deck (it would have been necessary with any other deck). All I had to do is splice in a 3.5mm adapter to the wiring harness I ordered. I'm not 100% sure if that also works on the next gen like yours. But it was literally plug and play on mine. I just had to go in and map the buttons to functions afterwards.

I only have two issues with it. One, you can't disable the startup click though warning. Two, there is a firmware bug where it sometimes resets the date and time. If it does that, you can't connect to Android Auto until you set it back because the phone can't handshake with the deck with a mismatched datetime. I've only had that happen twice in the past 4 months.

Having full Google Assistant on tap with a button press is amazing. I was listening to a SciFi podcast that took place on Venus. I did a double take when they described the character as 100 days old. I remembered that Venus's day was much much longer than ours but I couldn't remember specifically. So, I just tapped the button and asked Assistant how long a day in Venus was. 116 days. Oh, so the character was 34 years old. After I got my answer it went right back into the podcast.

I was ready to purchase an ax100 before going to the car stereo shop and getting a quote. They wanted like $850 for parts & labor including harnesses etc. :holy:

I'm not great at car stereo installs but I think if I am going to do it at all I'll have to bug a friend to help me with it and DIY it. I'd be putting it in a Mazda CX-5

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mine was dead simple. Get wiring harness, match up based on diagram to the new stereo, screw on bracket and faceplate, pop off surround trim, a couple screws to remove, plug in harness, pop faceplate back on.

All told, I spend about $490 for everything and the install took about an hour (40 minutes of that hour doing fiddly wiring while sitting on my couch in front of the TV and I'm colorblind.)

Zero modifications to the car, I can reverse it back to stock in 10 minutes or less.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

MMD3 posted:

I was ready to purchase an ax100 before going to the car stereo shop and getting a quote. They wanted like $850 for parts & labor including harnesses etc. :holy:

I'm not great at car stereo installs but I think if I am going to do it at all I'll have to bug a friend to help me with it and DIY it. I'd be putting it in a Mazda CX-5

FWIW, if you've got a CX-5 with Mazda Connect Mazda has kinda said they'll be bringing Android Auto to it with a software update and also, IIRC, people have got Android Auto running on it even without Mazda's help.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, if you've got a CX-5 with Mazda Connect Mazda has kinda said they'll be bringing Android Auto to it with a software update and also, IIRC, people have got Android Auto running on it even without Mazda's help.

I wouldn't hold my breath. It's been almost a year since the announcement and still nothing forthcoming and Mazda now won't even confirm that their previous announcement is still true when asked. In fact, the rumors are now that Mazda will be licensing Toyota's infotainment equipment in their cars over the next couple years and Mazda Connect is dead altogether.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The more dead proprietary systems the better imo

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

If you got your Pixel 2 early on, there was a bad batch or something. Mine died right away. Google will replace them if you chat.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath. It's been almost a year since the announcement and still nothing forthcoming and Mazda now won't even confirm that their previous announcement is still true when asked.
Yeah don't believe Mazda's lies. They've been promising CarPlay support since 2014.

LastInLine posted:

In fact, the rumors are now that Mazda will be licensing Toyota's infotainment equipment in their cars over the next couple years and Mazda Connect is dead altogether.
Actually, if it's the newest Toyota system that would cover CarPlay, at least. I'm not sure about Android Auto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I really shouldn't have but JB hifi have $350 off the pixel 2XL so I bought one :negative: