Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, I would take the position that viciousness is the appropriate response on some occasions, rare ones, but they are there. Some people, ideas, and institutions are exceptionally detestable and all three appear present in this case. It is entirely possible for hatred of the perpetrators to be motivated by an affinity for the ideals they ignore or the people they hurt, and that's a form of empathy.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm glad you have your priorities straight. Sure, this may have been a monster who systematically abused young girls and women for decades without repercussion until now, ruining countless number of lives, but the important thing is to remember that the real victim here is the guy who's going to have to face consequences for his actions, and that inconveniencing him and hurting his feelings is what's truly beyond the pale here.

He is going to die in American Pen whether the sentence is 100 years or 100,000,000.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, I would take the position that viciousness is the appropriate response on some occasions, rare ones, but they are there. Some people, ideas, and institutions are exceptionally detestable and all three appear present in this case.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm glad you have your priorities straight. Sure, this may have been a monster who systematically abused young girls and women for decades without repercussion until now, ruining countless number of lives, but the important thing is to remember that the real victim here is the guy who's going to have to face consequences for his actions, and that inconveniencing him and hurting his feelings is what's truly beyond the pale here.

Perhaps we should schedule regular unsupervised field trips from the local elementary schools to his cell, just to make sure his time in prison isn't too difficult.

At what point did I ever express sympathy to Nassar?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Muppets On PCP posted:

similar to sports revenue, donations accrue to a handful of schools

for example university of michigan, which has as good an alumni network as any one and is one of the top recipients of alumni cash, donations make up a practically negligible fraction of their overall revenue

http://finance.umich.edu/reports/2016/wp-content/uploads/sites/56/2016/12/2016_Condensed_Financial_Report.pdf

This was the article I was thinking of that explained all the different kinds of peripheral revenue colleges get from athletics, which aren't necessarily counted as "athletic revenue" :

quote:

athletic departments aren't supposed to report revenue that is generated outside of the sports it sponsors. For example, if an athletic department owns a golf course that is open to the public, it wouldn't report the revenue from the golf course, even though it's real revenue deposited in the department's bank account.

. . .

For example, it is not uncommon for a funds raised for long-term projects to be kept off the athletic department's books (either within a separate development department or foundation/booster club) until the project is undertaken. Then the money will be moved over in a large lump sum when it's time to develop the project. This can make it appear that the athletic department's revenue surged in that year, when in fact it was money raised over the course of several years.

At nearly one-third of the schools I polled back in 2012 for my book, the university took a specified percentage of each donation made to the athletic department.

Some indicated it was to cover university overhead, or because of partnerships and shared resources between the university and athletics development offices, but the fact remains that the amount you see on the reports submitted the NCAA may be anywhere from 2-12% less than the amount donated, as the reported number reflected the donation after the assessment in the situations I researched for my book.

. . .

At many universities I polled, the university and athletic department split licensing revenue 50/50. So, even if the sweatshirt sold in the bookstore is specifically branded for the football program, that money is divided between the university and athletics.

Certainly there's nothing wrong with that practice, but this category combined with the gift assessments can add up to quite a bit of revenue that is arguably generated by the athletic department but never actually hits its books (or its NCAA report).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2017/06/12/the-biggest-misconceptions-about-the-finances-of-college-sports/#5dbb808a366f

Athletic programs survive (in part) because they're cash cows for the college or university as a whole, often in indirect ways that aren't on the official books of the athletic department.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I wouldn't sweat it, all 3 posts in this thread by that poster are terrible.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This was the article I was thinking of that explained all the different kinds of peripheral revenue colleges get from athletics, which aren't necessarily counted as "athletic revenue" :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2017/06/12/the-biggest-misconceptions-about-the-finances-of-college-sports/#5dbb808a366f

Athletic programs survive (in part) because they're cash cows for the college or university as a whole, often in indirect ways that aren't on the official books of the athletic department.

Athletics are a huge recruiter for colleges and universities. My alma mater has grown by leaps and bounds in the decade since I left, both in enrollment and on-campus infrastructure and I would attribute 90% of it to the success of the basketball team over the past 15 years.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 24, 2018

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

revenue is cool but it’s built on a foundation of rape and sexual predation so

i d g a f

burn it the gently caress down

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

stone cold posted:

burn it the gently caress down

And salt the earth.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/SenatorShaheen/status/956277569686528002

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Good
https://twitter.com/freep/status/956285391023190022

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Does anybody remember a few years ago a relatively prominent gymnastics coach (I don't remember when or at what level) was exposed as a child molester? There were a lot of rumors about it being a fairly widespread problem that people were burying under the rug. I wonder if that's going to explode in the wake of Nassar's sentencing.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Imagine spending the remainder of your life in solitary, that poo poo is psychological torture.

His victims have to spend the rest of their lives with the psychological torture of what Nassar did to them. He deserves no better.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Does anybody remember a few years ago a relatively prominent gymnastics coach (I don't remember when or at what level) was exposed as a child molester? There were a lot of rumors about it being a fairly widespread problem that people were burying under the rug. I wonder if that's going to explode in the wake of Nassar's sentencing.

I think you're remembering the Nassar case when it originally broke in 2016.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I think you're thinking of Bela Karolyi but he was 'just' physically abusive. Back in 2008 Dominique Moceanu accused him and his wife both of physical and mental abuse, and its well-known Karolyi was a dick, mocking girls for their weight and forcing them train while injured etc.
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jul/23/sports/sp-karolyi23
Looks like she's suing them now as well.
http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/17896649/former-national-team-gymnast-alleges-abuse-doctor-karolyis
(She's a Jane Doe in here but yeah, you can probably guess given the previous article who it is).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 24, 2018

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

exploded mummy posted:

I think you're remembering the Nassar case when it originally broke in 2016.

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure it was longer ago because I remember thinking the same thing when Nassar first came to light, and it wasn't someone at the national level.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah several years ago Dominique Moceanu pretty much came out and said the Karolyis were abusive. She just tweeted out a screenshot the other day of an email she got at the time from that one national team coach who just resigned this week, accusing her of betraying the sport that made her a star.

The balls on that guy. He’s one of the next ones up against the wall.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mahoning posted:

Yeah several years ago Dominique Moceanu pretty much came out and said the Karolyis were abusive. She just tweeted out a screenshot the other day of an email she got at the time from that one national team coach who just resigned this week, accusing her of betraying the sport that made her a star.

The balls on that guy. He’s one of the next ones up against the wall.

The Karolyis definitely knew what was going on with Nassar and groomed his victims for him. It's disgusting and they should spend their lives in jail as well.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

C. Everett Koop posted:

His victims have to spend the rest of their lives with the psychological torture of what Nassar did to them. He deserves no better.

That still isn't expressing empathy for him. That's saying "imagine being alone for the rest of your life in a room with nothing to do except eat every so often. That's what this fucker is going to go through."

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
lol good job Brian Breslin, that statement is gonna keep looking worse and worse as this keeps up
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/24/dianne-byrum-larry-nassar-victims/1063533001/

quote:

2nd trustee calls for MSU president to resign
A second Michigan State University board member is now calling for Pres. Lou Anna Simon to resign immediately.

“It is clear that the public has lost confidence in the current administration of Michigan State University, and changes are needed to move the university forward," Michigan State University Trustee Dianne Byrum said in a statement sent to the Free Press. "First, I support the resignation of President Simon, effective immediately, and I support the investigation by the Attorney General that will provide a full accounting of what happened and take an important step toward restoring trust, which has understandably been shaken."

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/24/msu-board-succession-simon/1062864001/

quote:

Sources: MSU Board of Trustees working on succession plan for Simon exit
The Michigan State University Board of Trustees has stepped up discussion of who will lead the university if or when President Lou Anna Simon steps down.

There are still plenty of unknowns — including whether Simon will resign and the timing of the resignation. Also unknown is when an interim leader would step in and for how long, people with knowledge of discussions said.There are a number of names that have been raised to the board as possible interim presidents, including former Michigan Govs. John Engler, James Blanchard and Jennifer Granholm. Also raised as a possible interim is former Grand Valley State University President Mark Murray, who also served as president of Meijer, Inc. Engler, Blanchard and Murray were all mentioned as a possible MSU president when Peter McPherson left in 2004 and Simon was promoted from provost to president. Engler and Blanchard are Michigan State graduates.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

seiferguy posted:

That still isn't expressing empathy for him. That's saying "imagine being alone for the rest of your life in a room with nothing to do except eat every so often. That's what this fucker is going to go through."

The whole post was complaining about the sentence Nasser received. It was expressing empathy to a person who absolutely doesn't deserve it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

C. Everett Koop posted:

The whole post was complaining about the sentence Nasser received. It was expressing empathy to a person who absolutely doesn't deserve it.

You're either being deliberately obtuse or you're a loving idiot, or both. The whole post was 'end result this guy is going to spend the rest of his life tortured in solitary'.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

You’ve added absolutely nothing to this thread, have poor reading comprehension skills, and are so dumb or naive that your solution to all of this was “don’t allow men to have positions of power over women” completely ignoring that young boys are victims just as often.

Just gently caress off and quit making GBS threads up this thread.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mahoning posted:

your solution to all of this was “don’t allow men to have positions of power over women” completely ignoring that young boys are victims just as often.

Also ignored that going up the chain of command many of the people who did absolutely nothing to help the victims were women in this situation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hey everyone, I have an idea: perhaps we could not torture anyone, even people who really deserve it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If there's one thing that 2017 has shown, it's that (white) women will absolutely participate in being complicit in the cover-up of horrific crimes if it benefits them personally.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

seiferguy posted:

If there's one thing that 2017 has shown, it's that (white) women will absolutely participate in being complicit in the cover-up of horrific crimes if it benefits them personally.

a cool and good comment to make to these white women

Marie Anderson, swimmer posted:

My parents, who had my best interest at heart, will forever have to live with the fact that they continually brought their daughter to a sexual predator, and were in the room as he assaulted me.

McKayla Maroney, gymnast and two-time Olympic medalist posted:

I had a dream to go to the Olympics, and the things that I had to endure to get there were unnecessary and disgusting.

Amanda Thomashow, Michigan State student posted:

I reported it. Michigan State University, the school I loved and trusted, had the audacity to tell me that I did not understand the difference between sexual assault and a medical procedure.

like i get the complicity of white women but you do realize that since some victims were white women, some of them were (white) women, right?

e: awkward phrasing

stone cold fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 25, 2018

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

Hey everyone, I have an idea: perhaps we could not torture anyone, even people who really deserve it.

I think you either believe torture/prison abuse is wrong in all cases and without exception, or you don't. If you want to claim to be against torture on principle then you need to somehow come to terms with people like Nasser spending the rest of their lives in Norwegian-style prisons without getting murdered/raped/driven insane by loneliness.

Personally I think it's easier to jump on the bandwagon of 'gently caress that guy, I hope a guard lets him get beaten to death' than it is to say despite his crimes he should still be treated like a human being. I'm just thankful that not being/knowing one of his victims makes it easy for me to stick to my principles, which is selfish of me but there you go. I hope now that he's finally been caught justice catches up to all those who covered up his crimes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

stone cold posted:

a cool and good comment to make to these white women

like i get the complicity of white women but you do realize that since some victims were white women, some of them were (white) women, right?

e: awkward phrasing

Jesus, you’re one of those “not all white people are racist!” folks aren’t you?

Like, we can be adults and talk about the complicity of white women in large cover ups and scandals without condemning all white women, especially the victims. Christ.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Knock the slapfight off people.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

You're either being deliberately obtuse or you're a loving idiot, or both. The whole post was 'end result this guy is going to spend the rest of his life tortured in solitary'.

No, the post was whining about the sentencing. Nasser getting hundreds of years instead of just "life" is the entire point of his sentence, to make it explicitly clear the amount of damage he had systemically done to these women. To just say "yeah, you assaulted a lot of women but you've probably only got about 20-30 years left so that's all you get" is to miss the point. As for whining about psychological damage of isolation, it pales in comparison to the psychological damage that Nasser committed.

What I always find interesting is that whenever a white male commits a particularly heinous crime, such as Nasser here or Anders Brevik or Dylan Roof or the rest, a certain crowd always comes out and complains about the sentence they receive being "cruel and inhumane." Because, of course, the most important thing to do in the face inhumane acts is to make sure that certain feelings aren't hurt.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

C. Everett Koop posted:

No, the post was whining about the sentencing. Nasser getting hundreds of years instead of just "life" is the entire point of his sentence, to make it explicitly clear the amount of damage he had systemically done to these women. To just say "yeah, you assaulted a lot of women but you've probably only got about 20-30 years left so that's all you get" is to miss the point. As for whining about psychological damage of isolation, it pales in comparison to the psychological damage that Nasser committed.

What I always find interesting is that whenever a white male commits a particularly heinous crime, such as Nasser here or Anders Brevik or Dylan Roof or the rest, a certain crowd always comes out and complains about the sentence they receive being "cruel and inhumane." Because, of course, the most important thing to do in the face inhumane acts is to make sure that certain feelings aren't hurt.

you called obama “king hussein,” and “blackface reagan”

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Simon is out at MSU :toot:
https://twitter.com/GaryMiles_DN/status/956348976328052736

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

good

now burn her, and the administration at MSU down

burn it all down

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Looks like she didn't put any blame on herself at all

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Looks like she didn't put any blame on herself at all

Oh definitely not, I wouldn't have expected her to. We'll never know how much she did or didn't know but either way she had to leave, when both Senators and the state House are telling you to gently caress off, might as well just rip the bandaid off.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Good first step. Now file charges.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The only way I’d let up even a little bit on my opinion that she should rot in prison alongside Nassar is if she used her excellent fundraising skills (that the Board of Trustees can’t shut up about in the face of a massive sexual assault coverup scandal) to set up a fund for victims for ongoing therapy or, gently caress it, if they wanna buy a house in Maui for all I care.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Put a phone in her cell and let her make calls to donors from there.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

C. Everett Koop posted:

It wasn't, the person who posted it said it wasn't what they said, several other posters have told you that you are misinterpreting the post but ok sure. Keep being stupid about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Hey you can totally solve two problems at once, open up a new loving prison wing for everyone responsible and boom they don't need to be in solitary anymore.