Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for the words about the Kii! Mostly I was worried about bringing a premium into a ranked when my only actual T8 is the Edinburgh (which I love).

I've got all cruisers and BBs up to T7, but as the grind becomes grindier, what BBs stand out at T8? My play style for the big ships is to move up a bit, cruise back and forth across the line of action and then push hard when I see an opportunity.

Fake edit: my profile is Wildwolf45. Winrate and damage per battle has tanked recently cause I usually smoke up when playing and often tab out and forget to return to the game. :downs:

ADudeWhoAbides fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

North Carolina is the standout tier 8 BB, has zero issue being bottom tier all the time

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

North Carolina is the standout tier 8 BB, has zero issue being bottom tier all the time

I really want one, hey seem to be the best general purpose battleship. I’m doing pretty well in ranked with a Tirpitz but the inaccuracy is brutal. That said when Tirpitz gets opportunities it’s hilarious, I killed three battleships last night in ranked when I went between two Bismarck’s, topping each, and rammed a full health Amagi.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I'm in the Algerie just now and I have to say it feels like a slight downgrade from the La Gal. For me the Émile Bertin was the highlight so far, the La Gal and Algerie are more of the same but at higher tier so you get dunked by BB fire more often.

Algerie is really quite good, upgrading to 203s and also nearly Zao fire chance. It may be that you are facing tier 9s, forcing you to change your style of play compared to La Galissonniere, but Algerie is quite probably the best tier cruiser in tier.

My opinion, of course.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

In an odd twist, I hate my NC to the point I kinda wish I had my Colorado back, the shells are just so floaty I don't understand how some one is meant to hit anything with them

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

North Carolina is a tinderbox and penetration bonanza when uptiered to X.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Stevefin posted:

In an odd twist, I hate my NC to the point I kinda wish I had my Colorado back, the shells are just so floaty I don't understand how some one is meant to hit anything with them

You get used to it. You just have to lead a little more, the shells themselves are exceptionally accurate. I miss the accuracy of the Missou and the NC whenever I'm playing the Amagi or the Lion or whatever and my shells just sometimes decide they're strong independent munitions that don't need no FCS

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Thanks for the words about the Kii! Mostly I was worried about bringing a premium into a ranked when my only actual T8 is the Edinburgh (which I love).

I've got all cruisers and BBs up to T7, but as the grind becomes grindier, what BBs stand out at T8? My play style for the big ships is to move up a bit, cruise back and forth across the line of action and then push hard when I see an opportunity.

Fake edit: my profile is Wildwolf45. Winrate and damage per battle has tanked recently cause I usually smoke up when playing and often tab out and forget to return to the game. :downs:
Uh, you aren't doing my damage as a result of dying a lot. I'm pretty average, and I survive three times as many battles as you. Your accuracy stats seem decent enough, so maybe just slow down and stop being in such a rush to die.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

davejk posted:

Amagi is fantastic.

Kii has USN-level AA, and (completely useless) torpedoes. In exchange it gets worse armour and less accurate guns. Overall I'd say it's slightly worse, but it depends on how much you hate planes.

The torpedoes are hilarious if you ever get into a position to use them, which is rare but incredibly satisfying.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

All overpens lead to Roma.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Roma is a good idea, but unless they adjust the shell arming time, it'll just be a dumb gimmick that misses, and overpens when it hits.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Wolfy posted:

Uh, you aren't doing my damage as a result of dying a lot. I'm pretty average, and I survive three times as many battles as you. Your accuracy stats seem decent enough, so maybe just slow down and stop being in such a rush to die.

Nah, you're totally right. I'm very reckless, but I've been working on that!

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
What is that beer can on Roma supposed to be?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Herr Bazooka posted:

A papal hat, but for a ship.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
As frustrating as it is to deal with a nose-in Yamato sitting at range, just flicking shells forever- it is just as satisfying to catch one broadside at point-blank and just end it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Doin' good in da Hood.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Herr Bazooka posted:

It's the fire director stack, top AA, middle main battery and bottom secondary, it's modelled really badly in game but OK in the port.

Basically it's like the pagoda masts on IJN but more cylindrical.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Ranger meganerf is just loving magical in action

Who even authorised that shitshow of a :airquote:balance:airquote:?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

The Ranger meganerf is just loving magical in action

Who even authorised that shitshow of a :airquote:balance:airquote:?

There are people who think it is better now since you aren't all in. I remain unconvinced as it took away the things the USN line did well to be bad all over. I guess the payoff is getting to the Midway and taking a dump on everything.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

HFX posted:

There are people who think it is better now since you aren't all in. I remain unconvinced as it took away the things the USN line did well to be bad all over. I guess the payoff is getting to the Midway and taking a dump on everything.

That's getting nerfed too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sperglord Actual posted:

Doin' good in da Hood.

My man!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Are there any “get good” guides folks can recommend? I hate feeling like I’m a liability to my team. I accidentally drove into someone and felt so ashamed I quit the game :cripes:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Are there any “get good” guides folks can recommend? I hate feeling like I’m a liability to my team. I accidentally drove into someone and felt so ashamed I quit the game :cripes:

You will drive into people a lot. You will also run into islands a lot. I found the best way to learn to play was just practice and I watch Flamu sometimes but I like watching Yuro more cause he's not as serious.

Mainly just watch the minimap a lot and try to position yourself so you're not the first target and start to understand how concealment works and use it to your advantage. Also learn which islands you can shoot over.

I'm also not that good but I'm a lot better than I was a few months ago

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I really like watching Flamu's replays, as he commentates on others play and can see my own mistakes in them. His are mostly high tier or ranked games but it's good to get in practice of thinking that way. I only started playing in late December and really once you get the basics down, a lot of it is positioning and understanding the map. At least for me, but I am maining BB's thus far so getting in a bad position can result in a slow, burning death.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Are there any map guides like there were for WoT? I'm watching my win rate slowly burn toward 48% shitter status and that's not fun for anyone.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I have done it. I have found The Worst Team.

A team so bad the battle ended in 4 minutes and 48 seconds from the words "Battle Start".

A team so impressively awful that I managed to get two kills more than the rest of the team combined, while only getting one goddamn kill.

A team so mindbogglingly terrible that even WARBEASTY would find them easy pickings.

I only did 11300 damage, largely because that's all I had the time to do. I have seen drunk motherfuckers hold lines better than this team.

I feel like asking how many tide pods they've collectively eaten is a totally reasonable and serious inquiry.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rorac posted:

I have done it. I have found The Worst Team.

A team so bad the battle ended in 4 minutes and 48 seconds from the words "Battle Start".

A team so impressively awful that I managed to get two kills more than the rest of the team combined, while only getting one goddamn kill.

A team so mindbogglingly terrible that even WARBEASTY would find them easy pickings.

I only did 11300 damage, largely because that's all I had the time to do. I have seen drunk motherfuckers hold lines better than this team.

I feel like asking how many tide pods they've collectively eaten is a totally reasonable and serious inquiry.

What. The. gently caress.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

How did the team-killing Clemson get 3rd in xp?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

dublish posted:

How did the team-killing Clemson get 3rd in xp?

I was going to say :iiam: but really, honestly, think about it for a moment. If the TKing Clemson got 3rd, how well do you think the rest of the team performed.

I suggest having a bottle of your highest strength alcohol of choice before you do this.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Well that Clemson could have landed couple of torps on something and that teamkill was on someone with like 200 HP.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
So goons, can someone give me a rundown of good and cool premiums? I have the Murmansk, Ark B, Scharnhorst, and Giulio Cesare. I think the Giulio is probably my favorite, followed closely by the Scharn. I'm thinking it would be cool to grind up to get the Missouri, but I only have about 100K free exp at the moment so I'm not sure I'll make it before it gets removed.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Well, I could do a small basic writeup on, "getting good". A lot of the stuff is probably largely just utilising tricks that will probably seem obvious after the fact.

First things first. Take a look at the map immediately when you load in. Note the positions, count, and type of your destroyers and the count and type of the enemy destroyers. It is very important to understand the detection values of the destroyers on both teams. If you are not a destroyer yourself, try to position yourself behind one of the destroyers on your team by a clip that will keep you out of enemy destroyer detection, while friendly destroyer will be detected. That depends entirely on what you are sailing at the moment. In your mind also try to visualise where enemy destroyers are most likely to go and play it by ear! Keep in mind that while capturing points in Domination is nice, it isn't worthwhile to sacrifice more than a quarter of your ship's HP simply because your team won't provide reinforcement while you're engaged.

Now that the match has begun, you'll need to keep an eye on the minimap every 10-20 seconds. Situations develop quickly. You never want to be the first spotted for obvious reasons. Play defensively -- in the sense that you are a second line skirmisher until you can see enemy positioning on the map, at least half of the enemy team so you have a general idea whether or not pushing is viable. Always make sure that you are able to retreat or have a fighting retreat. Island cover is something you'll want to manoeuvre towards if possible. While sailing away, always sail perpendicular to the incoming fire, the exact angle will be situational. Assume that your HP is the most valuable in the game, but also remember that HP is a currency that you spend to win them. If you can win a fight for suffering a bit of damage, then do so. Aim for dealing double or more than that of what you will receive.

Mid to late game is fairly simple. If your team is winning, play aggressively but aim to fight distracted enemies as you'll likely be at half health or less. Stalk them until they're engaged if you're in a lighter ship and can win on detection. If your team is losing, then a fighting retreat is your best option to make it out with decent damage. In the end, it's a lot harder to carry games alone than it was in tanks.

I hope my terrible advice helps you. :)

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

While sailing away, always sail perpendicular to the incoming fire
I think you mean parallel to incoming fire.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This doesn't really apply to destroyers, but they have different rules.

Don't be first and don't be last. You don't want to be the first person to find out there is a destroyer around an island. You don't want to be the first one spotted either. You don't want to be the last either, being the only person alive with a dead team doesn't help.

Look at the map, look at your team and then at the beginning of the round, hit W once to go 1/4 speed and kinda just idle forward a it. If your team is split up a bit, head with the closest group. If it looks you are alone, head towards the closest group.

Don't worry about bumping into people, ships are big and have lots of momentum, you will hit people, they will hit you. Hit the horn button and keep going.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Also make sure to make your minimap big and add in whatever circles you want/need. I like to have ship names and last reported positions on there so I don't forget about the dd on the side of the map that was seen there 5 minutes ago.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Herr Bazooka posted:

I think you mean parallel to incoming fire.

No! Not entirely at least. You want to be sailing away at an angle. With how vertical dispersion works in WoWS, a 20~30 degree angle while sailing away is very helpful.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

last reported positions on there so I don't forget about the dd on the side of the map that was seen there 5 minutes ago.
This is like the most important thing in the game to turn on.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

No! Not entirely at least. You want to be sailing away at an angle. With how vertical dispersion works in WoWS, a 20~30 degree angle while sailing away is very helpful.

I agree completely. Some angling is very helpful. But 20~30 degree angle is closer to "parallel" than "perpendicular" so I just wanted to remove some ambiguity in your fine advice.

Herr Bazooka fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 27, 2018

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

wdarkk posted:

That's getting nerfed too.
Only its fighters are getting nerfed so you'll still dumpster everything but only you'll have a slightly harder time versus a Hakuryu (you'll still beat him up anyway unless he's way better than you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Faded Mars posted:

So goons, can someone give me a rundown of good and cool premiums? I have the Murmansk, Ark B, Scharnhorst, and Giulio Cesare. I think the Giulio is probably my favorite, followed closely by the Scharn. I'm thinking it would be cool to grind up to get the Missouri, but I only have about 100K free exp at the moment so I'm not sure I'll make it before it gets removed.

Depend on what lines you're grinding or have grinded.
I greatly value being able to share a captain between an premium ship and a silver ship.

DD
Lo Yang is very strong and can be used for Pan Asia DD
Leningrad is very strong and fun, can be used with Soviet DD but need Expert Marksman which is superflous on the other
Kidd is solid but quite boring to play

For cruisers there are not much top performer left since they removed the premium smoke cruisers.
De Grasse seem solid but it's T6 and is a CL (benefit from IFHE) while the high tier French cruiser are CA
Atago is OK but not gimmicky enough, a Zao (prem camo for money) offer similar gameplay and is better tier for tier

BB Wise, you already have the two best
I have the Tirpitz but it's not suited to the meta so I don't recommend it
Bcause they all suck when uptiered, I wouldn't waste money on a T8 BB, better get one of the T9.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 27, 2018