Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Truga posted:

yeah, i'm not saying it's a good and i don't think it's even a feasible idea, but i think it'd take no less than that. if it's just penalties after breaches that's too late, and also big corps can just shrug off almost anything

Unless it was a percentage of average annual gross revenue over last (1, 3, 5) years.

I really think a lot of financial penalties should be written that way, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

To what extent is the speed of technology a function of it being insecure, poo poo code? Is it worth it to see technology grow at a much slower pace but with much stronger security from the getgo?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

nope. if your system was built by unlicensed professionals and it stores pii you're punished severely to the same degree as acting as a lawyer without passing the bar, practicing medicine without being licensed, keeping books without an actual accountant, etc

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think government sponsored pentesters trying to own things as much as they can would do it. Basically the NSA TAO except with a mandate to report bugs to vendors and the ability to force them to fix the bugs when there is a meaningful well defined impact.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Rex-Goliath posted:

nope. if your system was built by unlicensed professionals and it stores pii you're punished severely to the same degree as acting as a lawyer without passing the bar, practicing medicine without being licensed, keeping books without an actual accountant, etc

only if you get caught and it’s bad enough to warrant attention

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh wow only dole out punishments when people are caught?? let's not do anything hasty here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
as a point of comparison this is what you have to do to write software that you can be 100% confident is free of logical defects:

https://www.fastcompany.com/28121/they-write-right-stuff

and that's just compliance with spec for a static embedded device with no internet exposure

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 24, 2018

Jewel
May 2, 2009

.. :)

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/24/congress-asks-apple-intel-others-about-spectre-disclosure-delays.html

Taviso is excited. This'll be fun.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the infuriating part isn't that older than dirt elected officials don't know the answer to this question, it's that nobody in their staff understands the reason well enough to explain it

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

it seems like they’re more concerned about it being kept secret from the smaller players, not so much about it being kept from the public

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

the infuriating part isn't that older than dirt elected officials don't know the answer to this question, it's that nobody in their staff understands the reason well enough to explain it

normally I assume that the reason to keep it secret for that long is to get patches in place

but then I look at what Intel put out and they might as well have started work in a panic two weeks before the deadline

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

did you actually look or did you figure that linus communication skills, suitable for a five year old, were sufficient to make a judgment?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Evis posted:

it seems like they’re more concerned about it being kept secret from the smaller players, not so much about it being kept from the public

yeah it sounds like they may be trying to come up with a set of standards for disclosure processes so people aren't left out which on the one hand makes sense. having CERT act as a clearing house for the disclosure from the start could be good and would also have the benefit of shifting liability for the disclosure off the companies involved. On the other hand how much do you trust the feds to handle security on your behalf?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

did you actually look or did you figure that linus communication skills, suitable for a five year old, were sufficient to make a judgment?

I'm judging them based on the microcode patches being very broken, and that their linux patches should have been done more than a month ago

no need to trust linus

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in effect you know gently caress all and just assume that things should have solutions, where this in reality is not at all necessarily true

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

in effect you know gently caress all and just assume that things should have solutions, where this in reality is not at all necessarily true

‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌           /

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 24, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

seriously this was the initial question of meltdowm/spectre: what is there is no actual fix? there are not necessarily microcode traps for every path, and it is pretty much a given that intel will be bankrupt before giving everyone affected a fixed processor, so there is not necessarily a simple blame game to play. the show must, actually, go on. somehow.

also there is a decent chance that Intel has a lot of clever people working on best-effort solutions, and a fair chance that linus, being a literal (gifted granted) child is not at all helping

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

so then is this state licensure like other engineers have in the US? start with accredited degrees (ABET or by merit), add years of experience under guidance from other engineers, then pass a standardized exam. apply for comity in all states where you practice

the penalties for loving up aren’t that bad tbh and there’s industry exemptions so it would require some real teeth. I’d be interested to see a proposal that would work.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hed posted:

so then is this state licensure like other engineers have in the US? start with accredited degrees (ABET or by merit), add years of experience under guidance from other engineers, then pass a standardized exam. apply for comity in all states where you practice

the penalties for loving up aren’t that bad tbh and there’s industry exemptions so it would require some real teeth. I’d be interested to see a proposal that would work.
have you looked at the current state of standardized infosec testing and certification

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

seriously this was the initial question of meltdowm/spectre: what is there is no actual fix? there are not necessarily microcode traps for every path, and it is pretty much a given that intel will be bankrupt before giving everyone affected a fixed processor, so there is not necessarily a simple blame game to play. the show must, actually, go on. somehow.

also there is a decent chance that Intel has a lot of clever people working on best-effort solutions, and a fair chance that linus, being a literal (gifted granted) child is not at all helping

there is a difference between "they should fix it 100% without a performance impact" and "whatever they do choose, it should function correctly after six months of high-priority development"

they failed at the latter.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i laughed really hard at that shabbos switch when he was all "I was sitting there in the dark in my living room after dinner and thought 'it's the 21st century! There's got to be a better way!'"

lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Dylan16807 posted:

there is a difference between "they should fix it 100% without a performance impact" and "whatever they do choose, it should function correctly after six months of high-priority development"

they failed at the latter.

i 100% think there is stuff that cannot be solved in 6 months at any price that may be solved in 12 cheaply, but i more fundamentally know there are things that are unsolvable in this context. intel should be made to pay at some point, but linus being a jackass about the engineering efforts is an incredibly bad mechanism to enforce that

tbqh states at some point need to start holding various computational processes to account, though the way there is pretty philosophical

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 24, 2018

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
like, how hard is it to make a microcode patch that does not crash your system

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ymgve posted:

like, how hard is it to make a microcode patch that does not crash your system
harder than one that crashes your system, but on the other hand it should be pretty easy to test for

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what if cybersecurity but google, you know, on the cloud

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

harder than one that crashes your system, but on the other hand it should be pretty easy to test for

Simply solve the halting problem, and you are golden.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

i 100% think there is stuff that cannot be solved in 6 months at any price that may be solved in 12 cheaply, but i more fundamentally know there are things that are unsolvable in this context. intel should be made to pay at some point, but linus being a jackass about the engineering efforts is an incredibly bad mechanism to enforce that

tbqh states at some point need to start holding various computational processes to account, though the way there is pretty philosophical

Like it or not, Linus is an authority figure on the Linux kernel. So he might actually know a thing or two about how bad this is.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we gonna have this licensure fight in this thread too?

the professional engineering exams for software engineering already exist
they are 100%, 1000% dog poo poo
someone would have to make them not dog poo poo before you would be able to use them for anything
there's no reason why they exist in the state that they do

i'm deffo sure you can pass the fe exam without knowing how to code (because the software engineering fe exam has no coding section whatsoever, it's thermo and physics and other actual build poo poo engineering content), and pretty sure you can pass the full pe exam without knowing how to code

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i laughed really hard at that shabbos switch when he was all "I was sitting there in the dark in my living room after dinner and thought 'it's the 21st century! There's got to be a better way!'"

lmao

ya it was p. good. like the dude trying to get some rando off the street to turn the bedroom lights out.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

good luck developing your patches in secret, tested extremely thoroughly across all possible permutations, and not waiting a decade to get them released. despite all the complaints given the wide scope and everyone rushing to patch this has gone over rather smoothly

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Evis posted:

They're more concerned with scoring political points with other technologically-ignorant olds than they are about the state of responsible disclosure in the industry.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CommieGIR posted:

Like it or not, Linus is an authority figure on the Linux kernel. So he might actually know a thing or two about how bad this is.

i aint trustin no dude that realizes an arch is hosed up and keeps slamming his dick into a keyboard writing kernels for it and angry mailing list msgs about it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i aint trustin no dude that realizes an arch is hosed up and keeps slamming his dick into a keyboard writing kernels for it and angry mailing list msgs about it

sorry folks, we are cancelling support for Linux on x86.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

oh come off it, you ain't trustin' nobody no how anyway

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh come off it, you ain't trustin' nobody no how anyway

any yosposter has a standing offer to come pet the cats if they visit denver, but im smokin u out and we dont play around

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

yeah it sounds like they may be trying to come up with a set of standards for disclosure processes so people aren't left out which on the one hand makes sense. having CERT act as a clearing house for the disclosure from the start could be good and would also have the benefit of shifting liability for the disclosure off the companies involved. On the other hand how much do you trust the feds to handle security on your behalf?

didn’t CERT used to do this in the 90s? I’m pretty sure we worked with them on some embargoed issue.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Question time!

Would it be feasible to write laws around having to make programs secure, similar to food/fire safety laws?

The biggest hurdle obviously would be the speed that technology moves vs. the speed of government. But I'd like some discussion on how it could be/could not be done, and what could it look like? Please no "I don't want the government to do that," or "they'd just gently caress it up and make poo poo worse"

the problem isn't writing the laws, the problem is enforcing them

food/fire safety laws work because an inspector can walk in and shut your poo poo right down on the spot if they feel you're not in compliance, and if something bad happens because you were violating them then people - even top execs - can end up in jail for it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

didn’t CERT used to do this in the 90s? I’m pretty sure we worked with them on some embargoed issue.

They still do, not only US-CERT but also Carnegie Mellon CERT aka CERT/CC. I've worked with both extensively on certain hyped vulnerabilities. (And non-hyped but arguably worse vulns lol)

Btw It's dumb to just say "CERT" because there's hundreds of them globally and in the us specifically it's unclear if you mean US-CERT or CERT/CC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

They still do, not only US-CERT but also Carnegie Mellon CERT aka CERT/CC. I've worked with both extensively on certain hyped vulnerabilities. (And non-hyped but arguably worse vulns lol)

Btw It's dumb to just say "CERT" because there's hundreds of them globally and in the us specifically it's unclear if you mean US-CERT or CERT/CC.

yeah, I was thinking of US-CERT, my bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I have really been following Linus being an loud rear end in a top hat, but from what little I saw, I got the impression that he's primarily pissed about how Intel's response is very clearly being run by their lawyers and not their engineers.

He seems to be OK with the current gross mitigations because he knows they're temporary.

The thing that he's infuriated about is that Intel's future plans seem to be continuing shipping CPUs that are broken, but including a MSR that you can write 1 to once at bootup and then the CPU becomes fixed with no additional effort. Which makes no loving sense at all unless you realize that Intel's lawyers are trying to cling to a delusional fig leaf that every Intel CPU every made is not in fact broken, you're broken, and Intel has magnanimously designed a feature that allows broken operating systems to easily work around the OS's brokenness because it is definitely your fault and not Intel's.

• Locked thread