Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
I still put my trust in Figs (2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Parenthesis posted:

I still put my trust in Figs (2).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I vote for the colonel.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

I vote for the colonel.

I support this kernel of wisdom.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I put faith in Firesnuff

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Gonna go ahead and call this one for the Colonel.

quote:

"What's all this?!" cries Col. Firesnuff bluffly. "This reminds me of the great escape I made at the end of my ill-fated safari in the Belgian Congo. You must have read about it in the paper."

"Never...mind...about...the...Belgian...Congo," you gasp. "Help me!"

"Hm? What? Help you? I see, I see. Now let's think tactically." He stretches out his swagger stick. "Grab on. I'll pull you to safety, and I'll do a far better job than I did with poor Dematimba in the quicksand that one time. Forget I mentioned him. Grab on!"

Trying very hard not to think about Dematimba and the quicksand, you leap...

quote:

...and grab onto the swagger stick! Col. Firesnuff, displaying a surprising strength, hauls you forward, up, over the railing, and onto the back of the caboose, where you gasp for breath, thankful to be alive."

"There you are. It's as easy as that," Col. Firesnuff says, slapping you on the back.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." You lean against the back of the train and catch your breath.

"All in a day's work," he says. "Just another heroic feat on my part, not wholly unlike the time I rescued - well, nearly rescued - my superior officer in my first pitched battle."

And as you watch the world whiz by, you listen, the whole rest of the journey, as Col. Firesnuff tells you a long and rambling story about his glory days.

And with that, we end Chapter 2! :toot:

Chapter Three - Ritornello posted:

You exit the train, relieved that you are on time. You collect your luggage from the baggage car, and head towards the cabstand. The platform is rather crowded, and you push your way past large families on holiday and tourists who, for some reason, wish to consult their guidebooks about some architectural feature of the station.

You are just beginning to ponder some pleasant thoughts of the visit to come, when you hear someone calling your name, and you look around, trying to figure out where the sound is coming from.

Emerging from behind a smoke screen of exhaust from a departing train, you see a figure walking towards you, coughing and gesturing to get your attention.

Who is this unassuming and impressionable person, who is carrying a bright green pear and a bulging picnic basket, nearly jumping up and down with excitement as they approach you?

A delicately proportioned maid in uniform.
A slightly built manservant in livery.

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 54%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 37%
Observe: 32%
Persuade: 42%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 34%/66%

Your Reputation
Renown: 28% (+8%)
Tranquility: 12%
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 36%
:siren: Valentine: 25% :siren:
Frankincense: 44%
Aunt Primrose: 21%
Col. Firesnuff: 34%

Ready Monies: 23

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The maid.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A lively man in livery

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Clearly a lively livery man

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I like the livery man. They can be our sidekick later, perhaps. Butler Batman and Livery Robin. LOL-Bat and his sidekick whose name I can't recall maybe.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Maid

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

maid because we get emotionally involved easily.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Maid

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Maid. We already have a double-butler!

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Maid (1).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Maid.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Maid, for variety's sake.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

You are hailed by this young woman eagerly. "Are you Butler?" she calls, in a strong Gloucestershire accent. "I'm sorry to bother you. But I'm here to greet you." She takes a bite of the pear.

You slow down to see who this new addition to the cast is. You are relatively familiar with most of the old hands at Aunt Primrose's, and are certain that you have never seen her before.

"I'm Valentine," she says, bowing her head deferentially as you approach. You cast a trained eye over her uniform, a plain black dress with a white apron and a white cap, noting with professional detachment that it is slightly threadbare. "It's an honor to meet you. You're right on time."

"Were you sent from Mrs. Pattersons' house?"

"Nope. I was sent by the Cadbury Club. This is my very first job. I was just hired on at Mrs. Primrose Patterson's estate."

"Indeed?"

"Yes. I am her new downstairs maid. But I'm going to work really hard, and someday I'm going to be a real lady's maid. I know I can do it."

Valentine looks up at you with eyes of innocence, as you attempt to formulate a response, and then, before you do, she hits you with a crucial bit of information.

"You have been assigned as my mentor. I think it's part of your test for admission into the Inner Circle."

The Cadbury Club is, of course, the most elite club for servants, populated solely by those for whom immaculate service is a way of life. The Inner Circle is an almost legendary club-with-a-club, rumored to be composed solely of the most respected members of the Cadbury Club. You have, of course, imagined yourself being elected to that august society, but hardly dreamed that it might come to pass.

You have heard it said, as well, that there are difficult tests and challenges that the Inner Circle use to test their prospective members. It would appear, then, that you are being considered for inclusion in the Inner Circle, with all of the prestige that would entail.

"Wonderful! Glad to meet you, Valentine."
I look Valentine up and down critically. "I...am to be...your mentor?"
"But why me? Why now?"

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 54%

Your Reputation
Renown: 28%

Valentine: 25%

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 26, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Wonderful. Glad to meet you...... but be careful. Secret societies don’t usually announce themselves like this.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Wonderful! Another new bestie!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

It's time to be critical

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wonderfull.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Look up and down

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Wonderful

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It's time to be critical

We must be harsh to be nice

Critical

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Wonderful! For our first lesson, aunt primrose's favorite dinner!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
So far we have proven ourselves a poo poo butler. It is correct to be surprised. I mean, Why? Why me? Why now?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"But why me? Why now?"

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
If we want to be in the Inner Circle we must do our best, we cannot do our best if we cannot see the flaws around us - therefore critical (2).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Wonderful. Show her the right attitude.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

Valentine looks unbelievably pleased. "I - I have heard stories about you," she says, studying her shoes, a flush clearly coming over her face.

"Oh? Do tell."

"People say that you are so knowledgeable, and generally quite kind. I'm going to work really hard to be as good as you. It's all I ever wanted to life."

quote:

You pace around for a moment, then turn back to Valentine. "But why on earth would they send a woman, just learning how to be a downstairs maid, and aspiring to become a lady's maid, to me? Why wouldn't they send you to a proper lady's maid?"

"I don't know the answer to that, and it's a question that perplexes me as well."

"There's a great deal of specific knowledge involved in tending to the needs of a lady, as you know. Issues of fashionable dress, and hair, and cosmetics, and so forth. At present I serve a gentleman. I can hardly advise you on these matters."

"I am at a loss.Oh! Right. Maybe this would help?"

She hands you an envelope, sealed with wax and bearing the crest of your club: The Cadbury Club For Those Who Serve.

"It's my letter of introduction."

You open the letter, and on official Cadbury Club stationery, you read a missive confirming that Valentine has indeed been sent by the Inner Circle to test you. Valentine is described as a promising young woman who needs guidance and a role model. The letter stresses that you will be evaluated following Valentine's apprenticeship to you, which will last for one month. The letter further notes that Valentine is to be instructed in whatever you deem most important for a servant to be trained in.

"Well, everything here seems to be in order."

"What do you want me to do first?" Valentine says, throwing the pear core away. "I'm ready."

"Go and wash your hands while I hire a cab. Your hands are sure to be sticky."
"Gather up the suitcases and follow me.
"I'll take the suitcases; follow me."

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 58% (+4%)

Your Reputation
Renown: 28%

Valentine: 32% (+7%)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I’ll take suitcase & follow me.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Since she is to be a lady's maid; "I'll take the suitcases; follow me."

Carrying things beyond a parasol or a small thing the lady does not want to carry herself at the moment is not part of her future duties.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Wash your hands! The man or lady of the house may want to shake your hand when you enter the house and if your hand is sticky, that isn't good!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Wash up - just because it's the Cadbury Club doesn't mean you have chocolatesque hands.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

rchandra posted:

just because it's the Cadbury Club doesn't mean you have chocolatesque hands.

I will say that making these posts around about the time Cadbury Eggs are becoming available again makes it increasingly hard to resist the urge to just go out and buy a dozen to shove into my face.

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 26, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I’ll take suitcase & follow me. She's not yet to be trusted with such prestigious tasks

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Pangurban posted:

I will say that making these posts around about the time Cadbury Eggs are becoming available again makes it increasingly hard to resist the urge to just go out and buy a dozen to shove into my face.

I'm also wondering if Richie Rich's butler is a founding member of the club.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Wash your hands, goddamn. A good lady's maid should have clean hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wash that pear off your hands.

• Locked thread