Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Are not human thoughts merely reactions to stimuli?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm pretty sure that our spiritual leader, SMG, has talked up Twilight for years and has argued against its dismissal on the same lines that Lindsay Ellis does.
The best bit about being a cutting-edge CineD weirdo is that you get to see the same ideas slowly filter into everyone else's heads as they naturally think about things more and more over time.

It's great. I get to stand out for being 'controversial', (oh my god, he said what about Fallout 3?) and then have a blast as I slowly watch people arrive at the same conclusions over a longer timeframe (hang on, Fallout 3 was full of problems and really nowhere near as good as I want to remember it) until we arrive at new accepted norms, like that Justin Bieber's music is not the worst thing in the entire world, Twilight and 50 Shades have an appeal for a reason, and Alien Covenant is a heartbreakingly awesome film about coping with the loss of a loved one.

Still waiting for that last one. It'll be awhile. But it'll happen.

Sit and wait with me, if you like. :)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Conal Cochran posted:

I find this cycle of everyone finding the next book to collectively mock (Twilight, 50 Shades, Ready Player One) exhausting and really hope that RP1 will be the last of them, at least for a while.

I'm sure the self-publishing culture will completely lend to your hope. Absolutely. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, Jenny Trout is doing a great recap of Handbook for Mortals. She covers the WHY of why she's covering it in the posts, but the tldr is

- No-name author pulls on movie industry contacts, was told (maybe) she'll get a movie is she gets NYT best seller
- She publishes poo poo book thru a friend's printing house
- Calls around to bookstores, asking if they report to NYT, and if so places a huge order, saying as much "Don't care if they actually arrive"
- Suddenly appears on NYT #1, pushing out The Hate U Give
- Every single person goes "what the gently caress", because unknown author with book no one has heard of or seen on a shelf is #1
- Investigation reveals the above
- NYT revokes #1
- And that's just the beginning

If you haven't been following this tale, it is abso-loving amazing just how self-deluded this rear end in a top hat is. This isn't an innocent "passion project is funny" thing. Oh no. This author is true, total and absolute scum at every turn. I don't want to spoil things, so just to give you some highlights:

- Plagiarized the cover of the book
- Faked photos of the book in bookstores by just putting a copy on the shelves-- even though it was in the wrong section, not alphabetical by author name, and as people point out "Ain't nobody loving going on the top shelf in an airport unless your name is Clancy or (all those other pulp authors)"
- Showed up on this author's blog, pretending to be an OLYMPIAN ATHLETE CURRENTLY WORKING FOR CIRQUE DU SOLEI, to try "um actually" the blogger about how onstage injuries are handled in shows-- because there's a scene in the book where a character LITERALLY FALLS TO THEIR DEATH (and is revived with CPR), and there is absolutely no workplace safety consequences, or anyone even giving a poo poo at all. And then the author is INSTANTLY discovered, because the IP on her comment traces back to a domain the author owns, for a book review site that only has positive reviews of her and her friends books

And even if you read the spoilers, IT STILL GETS WORSE.

And that's before you even start to read the goddamn book!

Link to the introduction to the series. She's currently on chapter 8.

http://jennytrout.com/?p=11574

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I love Jenny Trout, her chapter-by-chapter breakdown of the 50 Shades trilogy is hilarious.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hbomberguy posted:

The best bit about being a cutting-edge CineD weirdo is that you get to see the same ideas slowly filter into everyone else's heads as they naturally think about things more and more over time.

It's great. I get to stand out for being 'controversial', (oh my god, he said what about Fallout 3?) and then have a blast as I slowly watch people arrive at the same conclusions over a longer timeframe (hang on, Fallout 3 was full of problems and really nowhere near as good as I want to remember it) until we arrive at new accepted norms, like that Justin Bieber's music is not the worst thing in the entire world, Twilight and 50 Shades have an appeal for a reason, and Alien Covenant is a heartbreakingly awesome film about coping with the loss of a loved one.

Actually, Alien Covenant is an awesome movie about David stealing fire from the gods.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

Alien Covenant is a heartbreakingly awesome film about coping with the loss of a loved one.

I watching this the other night and I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed it more than Prometheus, which was decent. David is a really interesting character, and that ending! Great stuff. I was surprised to see so much negativity about the movie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lornekates posted:

I'm sure the self-publishing culture will completely lend to your hope. Absolutely. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, Jenny Trout is doing a great recap of Handbook for Mortals. She covers the WHY of why she's covering it in the posts, but the tldr is

- No-name author pulls on movie industry contacts, was told (maybe) she'll get a movie is she gets NYT best seller
- Calls around to bookstores, asking if they report to NYT, and if so places a huge order, saying as much "Don't care if they actually arrive"
- Every single person goes "what the gently caress", because unknown author with book no one has heard of or seen on a shelf is #1
- NYT revokes #1

If you haven't been following this tale, it is abso-loving amazing just how self-deluded this rear end in a top hat is. This isn't an innocent "passion project is funny" thing. Oh no. This author is true, total and absolute scum at every turn. I don't want to spoil things, so just to give you some highlights:

- Faked photos of the book in bookstores by just putting a copy on the shelves-- even though it was in the wrong section, not alphabetical by author name, and as people point out "Ain't nobody loving going on the top shelf in an airport unless your name is Clancy or (all those other pulp authors)"
- Showed up on this author's blog, pretending to be an OLYMPIAN ATHLETE CURRENTLY WORKING FOR CIRQUE DU SOLEI, to try "um actually" the blogger about how onstage injuries are handled in shows-- because there's a scene in the book where a character LITERALLY FALLS TO THEIR DEATH (and is revived with CPR), and there is absolutely no workplace safety consequences, or anyone even giving a poo poo at all. And then the author is INSTANTLY discovered, because the IP on her comment traces back to a domain the author owns, for a book review site that only has positive reviews of her and her friends books

God, that sounds like a slightly more successful but equally stupid version of the con Robert Stanek pulled with his self-published fantasy books. It just makes me sad that the dude behind Conjugal Felicity stopped updating his site last year because I really wanted to see where those batshit awful books finally landed once their incomprehensible story was over.

Because I legitimately do not know what was crazier, the story Stanek was trying to tell, or all the hosed up poo poo Stanek got up to trying to sell it to people. Hell, dude photoshopped himself into an easily google’able picture of Brian Jacques to claim they were colleagues. And that’s the least brazen thing he did...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

"Being attacked by your own community"

I don't understand.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

lornekates posted:

- NYT revokes #1

So this is essentially the Finger Family Elsa Spiderman Cars 2 Hulk Avengers 2528452 of YA fiction.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm pretty sure that our spiritual leader, SMG, has talked up Twilight for years and has argued against its dismissal on the same lines that Lindsay Ellis does.

I'm not a fan of Ellis really, but I agree with her completely on this.

I agree that like, the disproportionate hate and hating something for stupid, bigoted reasons is wrong and people should stop that. But in the video the way she even said that she would rate the book higher and higher just because there were worse things out there doesn't sit right with me. It's fine to acknowledge you were lovely to the author, but that doesn't make the book good. Just because there's worse poo poo out there doesn't make the book better, either. Turning around and giving it a higher rating out of guilt or pity is just as dumb as giving it a lower one out of spite.

lornekates posted:

Speaking of which, Jenny Trout is doing a great recap of Handbook for Mortals.

This is great, I love this sort of thing and I'm going to have to read it, and more of her stuff, when I have time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, Alien Covenant is an awesome movie about David stealing fire from the gods.

It can be about both. And interestingly enough since it’s directed by Scott who did lose his brother and has been coping with it by making an insane amount of movies.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

"Being attacked by your own community"

I don't understand.

We trans folk can't do anything except be twinkling pure-hearted Aeris types lest we face maximum social justice and shouldn't dare talk about things like deadnaming or our sexuality, news at 11

And yeah, the journalist in question might wanna question her reaction to that one. She made a lovely piece and should deal with it.

gently caress games journalism 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, The sexuality of Trans woman is constantly used as as a club against us by TERFS and other transphobes. To say a really sexual trans woman is "Problematic" is....yeah no.

Edit: I'm trying to read the orignal article but Waypoint seems to be hosed,

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 24, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

But wahhhhh I'm a queer woman :(

(also don't dare let me catch you trying to reclaim the word tranny for yourselves or talk about what you like doing in the bedroom, only us queer women can do that)

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I'm reading this Waypoint article and frankly it just sounds like this author wanted to be a scold about the whole thing. Devolver was right, it's kinda dumb and Extremely Online behavior to just release an article with a headline saying a game is transphobic without maybe, like, actually getting in touch with the developer first.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The developers reached out to Waypoint about the issue. So there's that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thompsons posted:

I'm reading this Waypoint article and frankly it just sounds like this author wanted to be a scold about the whole thing. Devolver was right, it's kinda dumb and Extremely Online behavior to just release an article with a headline saying a game is transphobic without maybe, like, actually getting in touch with the developer first.

pretty much, they wanted to use it as a platform to show that ACTUALLY they're much more woke than this game done by silly queers and beefed it hard when the actual trans person involved said 'uuuh yea, the deadname thing is done once by a shithead who everyone hates and is presented as a petty and mean thing to do, you know like actual trans people face'.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I posted this is another topic but the original article seemed like a knee-jerk reaction where not much thought was put into it. Devoid of context that certain event in the game is pretty bad. Not so much the sexuality thing because who gives a gently caress, you'd think progressive folk would be accepting of sex-positive characters. But after I read it the whole deadname thing sounded like the writers hosed up, at least coming from a cis white dude. Then when the follow-up was written and put that detail into context, I didn't see much of a problem? I can see it being divisive, and it is among the trans community who played it, but it just told me the person who did that was a wretched rear end in a top hat of a character who is constantly presented as one.

Then she kind of minimizes the transwoman developer's voice in the matter. It just seemed like she's passing on her failing to critically read the scene in question on to the developer. In an industry that gives hacks who do a lot worse such benefits of the doubt, you'd think that in a game that she admits handles all these topics on sexuality really well wrote this scene like it was on purpose and gave it a lot of thought rather than it being some transphobic thing that slipped through the cracks? At some point, people like to put their life experiences into their art and no all those experiences are pleasant. They may hit home in a way that makes people uncomfortable, but it's no anyone's place to tell them they can't do that because it may offend some people. If the game was just a cheap piece of entertainment build completely off of shock value that sets out to offend people then to hell with it, but from everything I've read and seen, the game is very thoughtful and progressive with gender issues and representation.

A shame, like all things, lots of discourse over this subject is fulled with alt-right dipshits using the issue to springboard themselves into attacking a queer woman over her opinion. I follower her on twitter and she's a good person, but I think she just dropped the ball big time with her article and her general handling of the situation. But others don't agree with that and that's fine too.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure the thinkpieces will explain it in detail.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

There's also the way this has played out (thread by a cool game dev that has context/thoughts on the matter below), where the lightning rod of this has focused on a trans developer who was trying to tell a story i.e.

https://twitter.com/innesmck/status/955727247473856513

But specifically how this went very quickly from "Developers/publisher make bad move" to interrogating her.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

I was in all honesty going to add to my post "In time, they will join you in the sun, Bot-el", but I had this feeling that people wouldn't take it in the sincere but tongue in cheek way I meant it. You're right by the way, and I can really see the influence that CineD has had in your videos. I have a vague memory of "The Guest = piss-take Captain America" reading being put forward by Mr Flaunchy for instance, but you're the first person I've seen champion this outside of his original review.

Nuebot posted:

I agree that like, the disproportionate hate and hating something for stupid, bigoted reasons is wrong and people should stop that. But in the video the way she even said that she would rate the book higher and higher just because there were worse things out there doesn't sit right with me. It's fine to acknowledge you were lovely to the author, but that doesn't make the book good. Just because there's worse poo poo out there doesn't make the book better, either. Turning around and giving it a higher rating out of guilt or pity is just as dumb as giving it a lower one out of spite.
Shes not saying its good though, because she admits that she gave it a 1 star review in 2009 and then upped it to 2 stars when she actually read it. Its more "we accept escapism for males of multiple ages, we should do the same for escapism for teenage girls too", which is something I'm totally on board with.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gorn Myson posted:

"we accept escapism for males of multiple ages

We shouldn't.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Stormgale posted:

There's also the way this has played out (thread by a cool game dev that has context/thoughts on the matter below), where the lightning rod of this has focused on a trans developer who was trying to tell a story i.e.

https://twitter.com/innesmck/status/955727247473856513

But specifically how this went very quickly from "Developers/publisher make bad move" to interrogating her.

Oh jesus this just misses the mark so hard too and is full of things like "well, they clearly misstepped" and other such bollocks such as "we can't be attacked/penalised if we gently caress up" (I mean...sorry, what. Uhhhh where's your limit on that) and I just can't anymore with this rubbish. Still perpetuates things like we (as in, trans people) can't use deadnaming as a plot device AT ALL. Even when it's done by a character who is an arsehole who would do something like that. In a work of fiction.

You know what I like? I like being treated like a normal person. I don't want kid gloves or people feeling like they should be on egg shells around me and I dislike takes like this that encourage that.

Sorry, I'm not going at you for posting this but all this is such a pet hate of mine

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

can fiction or enjoying things ever be good and moral?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

can fiction or enjoying things ever be good and moral?

No.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

My mom hates fiction and is very bitter that I am not President and am instead a sad English Language teacher. I don't bother asking her but I DO wonder how she feels about, say, oral stories from human history that aren't true, that are fiction but aren't written down. Like, is it just the fact that it's printed on paper that it bothers her, or is it that it's fiction?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

glad you made it explicit. guess i'll go tell all the tweens I DM for at work that fantasy role-playing is a sin according to some wackjob neo-puritan on a paid web forum

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Down the Rabbit Hole tackles Rajneeshpuram

From the video description: "When an Indian guru seeks to build a commune in the deserts of Oregon at the height of the New Age movement, he faces stiff resistance, and his subordinates resort to extreme tactics."

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Hot Tip: If you want to change someone's mind about something, it's usually not the best to start with, "The thing you like is bad and you should stop liking it." Maybe focus more on championing what you think needs more attention and appreciation.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Conal Cochran posted:

Hot Tip: If you want to change someone's mind about something, it's usually not the best to start with, "The thing you like is bad and you should stop liking it." Maybe focus more on championing what you think needs more attention and appreciation.

The people who decided that good prose cannot exist, because it would mean Harry Potter doesn't have it, should go read the Gormenghast series, and then watch the definitive movie adaptation of the books, Barry Lyndon.

DoctorWhat posted:

glad you made it explicit. guess i'll go tell all the tweens I DM for at work that fantasy role-playing is a sin according to some wackjob neo-puritan on a paid web forum

I imagine that they're busy looking for an escape route from the guy who wants to "role-play" with them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

I think "Fallout 3 sucked and New Vegas is way better" is your least controversial opinion, at least among nerd circles. I'd say it's even less controversial than "the Tories are monsters who want to eat the poor".

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Conal Cochran posted:

Yeah but BOTL is a gigantic loving moron that has to be condescending and WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU PEOPLE STILL REPLYING TO HIM HOLY poo poo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I imagine that they're busy looking for an escape route from the guy who wants to "role-play" with them.

it's an after-school program. You piece of poo poo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

it's an after-school program. You piece of poo poo.

You are allowed to enjoy your time working as a DM for children. I have no power over you or your friends.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think "Fallout 3 sucked and New Vegas is way better" is your least controversial opinion, at least among nerd circles.

I think we can at least agree that the video about BBC's Sherlock being bad tore YouTube apart.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

any joy outside of the joy in god the lord is inherently sinful

anyway, don't interact with botl and take joy in god

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You are allowed to enjoy your time working as a DM for children. I have no power over you or your friends.

You don't get to insinuate that I'm some sort of predator and then walk that back like you never said it. gently caress you. Eat poo poo and die.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Oh jeez

EDIT: Get a loving room, the pair of you

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 25, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

Eat poo poo and die.

I will not.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You most certainly will die, eventually. That's the beauty of mortality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

You most certainly will die, eventually. That's the beauty of mortality.

This is why children don't want to be left alone with you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread