Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Identify doesn't consume the material components when cast. So you get to keep the 100gp of components for future castings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Gridlocked posted:

Can monks be built with weapons still or do we have 4e monks who are bassed off unarmed more or less exclusively.

4e monks had plenty of uses for weapons. Just be the wise centered dude hitting people with clubs and throwing daggers around, it was cool.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Gridlocked posted:

Hi dnd goons. Appenrtly I'm susposed to be participating in a 5e game soonish both as a player and as a DM. It's an adventure a week type mercenary serial with out much overarching plot. As such characters are allowed to be a bit more whacky with personal goals.

I have three questions I would like some assiastnace with:

Is it possible to make a Goblin witchdoctor who rides a giant turtle?

Does making a "test case" tomb of horrors with stuff toned down, because its just the prototype for checking it all works and not the full one, sound like a fun adventure? For example the orb of anhiliation is instead an orb of colour spray, and the lich at the end is a squeaky toy with magical prerecorded lines.

Finally is a tattooed elf berzerker in a loincloth an acceptable character under the new dnd rules. I've only pkayed pathfinder for the last few years.

As a counter point for the elf, you can totally do that. It's all going to be dependent on what loot you find but if your Constitution gets pumped up enough you'll be switching between medium armor or no medium armor plenty. As for elves not getting a bump in STR... so what? Doesn't matter. What they do get is a bump to DEX will which also handily help increase your AC, and on top of that elves are immune to sleep effects which can be a bane for barbarians and have advantage on saving throws against Charm.

There's no reason you can't play that elf barbarian character, I think the other guy took the berzerker thing a little too literally cause the weaker sub-class for Barbarian is also called that.

I mean hell exactly what's stopping a person from asking the DM if their character can still appear mostly like a caveman even when wearing armor?

Edit: So all the benefits. +2 Dexterity which helps with saving throws there, plus will give you +1 AC and +1 to your initiate rolls. Perception comes as a racial skill, it's important. You cannot be put to sleep via a spell, and you have advantage on saving throws against charm spells. Both are standard ways to shut down a barbarian's rage. You don't need to sleep, you just meditate for 4 hours. You'll have Darkvision. If you go High Elf you'll get a wizard cantrip, maybe not the best mechanically but fun thematically. If you go Wood Elf you'll have a 35 ft speed, and can use the hide action when only lightly obscured in a natural environment.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 25, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gridlocked posted:

Can monks be built with weapons still or do we have 4e monks who are bassed off unarmed more or less exclusively.

The game does support a Monk that uses "Monk weapons"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Arthil posted:

As a counter point for the elf, you can totally do that. It's all going to be dependent on what loot you find but if your Constitution gets pumped up enough you'll be switching between medium armor or no medium armor plenty. As for elves not getting a bump in STR... so what? Doesn't matter. What they do get is a bump to DEX will which also handily help increase your AC, and on top of that elves are immune to sleep effects which can be a bane for barbarians and have advantage on saving throws against Charm.

There's no reason you can't play that elf barbarian character, I think the other guy took the berzerker thing a little too literally cause the weaker sub-class for Barbarian is also called that.

I mean hell exactly what's stopping a person from asking the DM if their character can still appear mostly like a caveman even when wearing armor?

Rage damage and Reckless Attack key off Strength; a Dexterity-based Barbarian just doesn't work.

Like - okay, just look at the elf stat spread: even if you pump up DEX and CON at chargen, and then further spend an ASI on those stats because otherwise all you get is AC 15, all you are accomplishing is being behind on
- Accuracy
- Damage
- Feats
to match the AC of a Barbarian who spent 400gp on a metal plate.

If you do stat rolling (:barf:) and get god rolls, then game on, the world is your oyster. Otherwise you're just gimping yourself - and gimping yourself on the most mindless class, who is laser-focused on one job only, is a bad call.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Spellblade sounds neat. I wanted to go for the Warhammer Fantasy wood elf Wardancer but play up the feral/uncivilized nature as opposed to the average sophisticated elegant Elf.

Duel weild axes, get a sweet braid that I could tream like a tail weapon, run around naked with woad tats/paint

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

thefakenews posted:

"Criminals that kill people" is not coterminous with "evil", nor with "violent and dangerous situations".

There are plenty of monsters in D&D that aren't humanoid criminals committing crimes. For example, a dungeon full of skeletons, oozes, beasts and golems guarding an ancient treasure in the dungeon.

Those can all be violent and dangerous and are distinct from human bandits kidnapping and murdering innocent townsfolk.

If the ancient treasure in the dungeon isn't necessary for the safety of the world or something then you're the violent criminals breaking into the peaceful habitat of creatures just defending their home!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Gridlocked posted:

I wanted to go for the Warhammer Fantasy wood elf Wardancer but play up the feral/uncivilized nature as opposed to the average sophisticated elegant Elf.

Duel weild axes, get a sweet braid that I could tream like a tail weapon, run around naked with woad tats/paint

Other than being naked, all of that's possible with pretty much any martial class if you refluff shortswords as axes so you can use Dex to attack. It's RP not class abilities you're talking about here. Ranger, Rogue, Fighter, and Paladin could all work well for that. Better than Barb at least, since as mentioned above most of the Rage effects require Str based attacks.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Too bad dual wielding is loving awful!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

CDW posted:

Forgot another one. Familiars being conjured creatures that just poof on death with no consequence other than having to resummon it with a prepped spell.

I want the Rogue to scout for cool moments, not Splat the Pseudodragon. Familiars should at least be a friendly coworker if not a loved pet, this one is an intern on Star Trek.

Enforce materials and casting restrictions on it. Don't just deduct gold from the bank account. Make them go buy materials for each casting, limited by access to stores that have incense and herbs, and require them to be at a brass brazier -- the kind of thing that's heavy enough that if they wanna try to bullshit you and throw one in a bag of holding, takes up a seriously sizeable amount of that 500 pounds. Brass is heavy as gently caress.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Send PETF after them: Protection and ethical treatment of familiars.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Put it in spoiler blocks, what was killing you guys? Was it the Feathered King

Yup! We thought it was just a tougher t-rex and we’d already killed a zombie one so we thought it would be fine. That thing is nasty.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It’s probably been discussed before but I’m interested in a making a barbarian or other melee-focused murderizer for a game I’m in. What sort of build should I be looking at that is competent at least at murder and other barbarian-ish activities?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Rage damage and Reckless Attack key off Strength; a Dexterity-based Barbarian just doesn't work.

Like - okay, just look at the elf stat spread: even if you pump up DEX and CON at chargen, and then further spend an ASI on those stats because otherwise all you get is AC 15, all you are accomplishing is being behind on
- Accuracy
- Damage
- Feats
to match the AC of a Barbarian who spent 400gp on a metal plate.

If you do stat rolling (:barf:) and get god rolls, then game on, the world is your oyster. Otherwise you're just gimping yourself - and gimping yourself on the most mindless class, who is laser-focused on one job only, is a bad call.

I wasn't suggesting they go DEX Barbarian, which is definitely a thing you -can- do but I'd never suggest someone new to the class/game trying. I was suggesting the race not having a +STR isn't the end of the world. Listen, I get that you really enjoy min-maxing to high hell and I do too up to a certain point but the game is more than flexible enough to allow for actual creativity and going for character concepts rather than eeking out every last 0.5 point of damage like you're trying to down an MMO raid boss.

It took me all of like 5 minutes mucking around in DnD Beyond to figure it out and it'd work just fine. Still got their main stats maxed, had room enough for feats as well.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 25, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are there any languages in 5e more obscure than like Blink Dog and Vegepygmy

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I like the idea of an Elf Barbarian. Who fuckin cares if their Ability Scores don't fully support it? Barbarian smash anyway.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

bewilderment posted:

If the ancient treasure in the dungeon isn't necessary for the safety of the world or something then you're the violent criminals breaking into the peaceful habitat of creatures just defending their home!

The skeletons and golems are not alive and don't have homes. The oozes and beasts are predatory animals that hunt in the dungeon for prey but don't live there. The treasure is ancient and no one currently has a legal claim to it.

Or, as you suggested, the treasure is needed to prevent the destruction of a continent due to freak magical weather events.

Either way, it is totally and trivially possible to play D&D where criminals doing crimes isn't a feature of the game.

Also, if we are being pedantic, the original post referred to "elfgames", not Dungeons and Dragons and my response was about RPGs on general. There are plenty of RPGs where violent criminals are not assumed content.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Gate posted:

Other than being naked, all of that's possible with pretty much any martial class if you refluff shortswords as axes so you can use Dex to attack. It's RP not class abilities you're talking about here. Ranger, Rogue, Fighter, and Paladin could all work well for that. Better than Barb at least, since as mentioned above most of the Rage effects require Str based attacks.

I wanted the mechanics to back up the fluff where possible. I'm liking the spellblade or kensai ideas though.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

I wanted the mechanics to back up the fluff where possible. I'm liking the spellblade or kensai ideas though.

I've not played a Monk yet but I have heard good things about Kensei. You could reflavor it however you'd like too so it could 100% fit the wild elf thing you wanna go for.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Arthil posted:

I wasn't suggesting they go DEX Barbarian, which is definitely a thing you -can- do but I'd never suggest someone new to the class/game trying. I was suggesting the race not having a +STR isn't the end of the world. Listen, I get that you really enjoy min-maxing to high hell and I do too up to a certain point but the game is more than flexible enough to allow for actual creativity and going for character concepts rather than eeking out every last 0.5 point of damage like you're trying to down an MMO raid boss.

It took me all of like 5 minutes mucking around in DnD Beyond to figure it out and it'd work just fine. Still got their main stats maxed, had room enough for feats as well.

It's not a .5, it's a 30% damage loss. It's huge.

Were you 'mucking around' this for a level 20 build? Because you're crippling the Barbarian for their first 8 levels and keeping them two steps behind for the next 8.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Arthil posted:

I've not played a Monk yet but I have heard good things about Kensei. You could reflavor it however you'd like too so it could 100% fit the wild elf thing you wanna go for.

Go kensai/wizard dual class and call my seld Bauldur S. Gate the 2nd.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's not a .5, it's a 30% damage loss. It's huge.

Were you 'mucking around' this for a level 20 build? Because you're crippling the Barbarian for their first 8 levels and keeping them two steps behind for the next 8.

I think you focus way too much on squeezing every last drop of efficiency out of a character when in the long run, it's just as effective. The most effective thing to do in most cases is to just make everything a variant human, but what fun is that in the end?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Gridlocked posted:

Go kensai/wizard dual class and call my seld Bauldur S. Gate the 2nd.

This'll be pretty tough to manage because you'll need to pump Dex, Int, and Wis, and you need Con, which is impossible to do unless you roll stats and get super lucky. You could focus on just buffing spells then you could get away with low Int, but otherwise you really can't skimp on any of those stats. Monk is not great to multiclass with unfortunately, but if you really wanted a caster mixed with it, you would be a lot better off as Druid or Cleric since they share Wisdom instead of wanting Int.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Or an Eldritch Knight fighter, perhaps.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Noticed something odd about Major Transformation in the Transmuter skills. You can change something into another thing with similar size and mass which could allow you to create some exotic materials with density unlike the native material. E.g. a cube of balsa wood transmutes into a cube of uncommonly low-density stone. Anyone done anything odd or interesting with that? I assume most of the time your problems are going to be way easier to solve since the ability literally changes any one object into another object of equal or lesser value. I just like the idea of being an ancient materials scientist.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Gate posted:

This'll be pretty tough to manage because you'll need to pump Dex, Int, and Wis, and you need Con, which is impossible to do unless you roll stats and get super lucky. You could focus on just buffing spells then you could get away with low Int, but otherwise you really can't skimp on any of those stats. Monk is not great to multiclass with unfortunately, but if you really wanted a caster mixed with it, you would be a lot better off as Druid or Cleric since they share Wisdom instead of wanting Int.

RIP ADnD Kensai/Mage

Edit: Did a bit of reading and apparently as long as it isn't a Heavy or Special weapon any thing can be a Kensai Weapon. So I could go with actual 1h Axes.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 25, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Note that you'd need to 1 level dip Fighter for the Two-Weapon Fighting fighting style in order to make dual-wielding 1h axes on par to using your Martial Arts bonus action attack, as otherwise the bonus action axe hit doesn't get your DEX bonus to damage.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Even if they're both monk weapons? That's odd.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Martial Arts allows you to add your Dex (or Str) modifier to the damage rolls of both unarmed strikes and monk weapons, but the Bonus Action additional attack has to be an unarmed strike.

If you Bonus Action attack with your fist, then sure, it gets the Str/Dex modifier.

You cannot Bonus Action attack with a monk weapon, because the Martial Arts feature does not support that.

You can Bonus Action attack with the generic Two-Weapon Fighting feature (page 195), but that doesn't get an ability modifier. You need the Two-Weapon Fighting Fighting Style from Fighters.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Wait, what the hell.

So the Kensei talk got me digging around and making one on DnDBeyond for randoms sake, and upon choosing the starting Kensei weapons I noticed... Boomerang in the ranged section.

Searching for it brought up an isolated page detailing the 1d4 thrown weapon which returns if you miss, and you are proficient in if you are proficient in javelin. Claimed it was on the equipment list, but it isn't. Looked everywhere, even in the Basic Rules it claimed it was from with no luck.

Looking at the Storm Boomerang, it seems like they made that as a basic, non-magical version of it but uh. Otherwise... is that even a -thing-?

Edit: It's just there for when a person uses the magical item and it no longer has its extra damage, well that explains that.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 25, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Does a tortle monk's special unarmed claw go up with martial arts or do they have to choose between d4 + str slashing and dx + str monk unarmed?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gridlocked posted:

Hi dnd goons. Appenrtly I'm susposed to be participating in a 5e game soonish both as a player and as a DM. It's an adventure a week type mercenary serial with out much overarching plot. As such characters are allowed to be a bit more whacky with personal goals.

I have three questions I would like some assiastnace with:

Is it possible to make a Goblin witchdoctor who rides a giant turtle?
UA beastmaster ranger, train in medicine and take cure wounds, refluff something four legged as a giant turtle. There's no official giant turtle stats.

e: below cr 7 anyway.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Gate posted:

This'll be pretty tough to manage because you'll need to pump Dex, Int, and Wis, and you need Con, which is impossible to do unless you roll stats and get super lucky.

No you just keep hitting reroll on the character creation screen until you get enough 18s.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've been doing the grunt work of getting a campaign ready for the midrange future, adding all the monster stat blocks, battle maps, treasure cards etc. that I figure I might use before really committing to detailed worldbuilding and all that. In doing so, I noticed Darklings and Darkling Elders get a lot more damage on their attacks if they have advantage, but without flanking they don't have any reasonable way to apply it. I gotta figure any killer by trade who has a nasty advantage is gonna figure out how to leverage it. Any suggestions on how they might get that advantage? I could see them hunting in packs with trained Boggles and using slippery oil to down opponents but that's gonna need pretty special terrain to keep people from just walking around the oil.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Darkling Elders get an innate Darkness cast I recall. Have the Elder cast Darkness on the unsuspecting group then have all the regular Darklings jump in. Darklings also produce another cloud of Darkness when they die, so they can keep it going for a while.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've been doing the grunt work of getting a campaign ready for the midrange future, adding all the monster stat blocks, battle maps, treasure cards etc. that I figure I might use before really committing to detailed worldbuilding and all that. In doing so, I noticed Darklings and Darkling Elders get a lot more damage on their attacks if they have advantage, but without flanking they don't have any reasonable way to apply it. I gotta figure any killer by trade who has a nasty advantage is gonna figure out how to leverage it. Any suggestions on how they might get that advantage? I could see them hunting in packs with trained Boggles and using slippery oil to down opponents but that's gonna need pretty special terrain to keep people from just walking around the oil.
The most straightforward way is aid another. They do 5 average without advantage and 12 average with, so two darklings teaming up for one attack will do more damage than two separately even if both of them would have hit.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm playing in ToA soon so anything spicy you talk about will give me an unfair advantage

oh boy i just had to read this during morning-coffee-and-email-time huh?

My ToA is Adventurer's League, so unless you're also doing that nonsense your DM probably won't be as strictly on-book as we've been. That said, I'm gonna answer like your DM is gonna be staying on-book for the most part.

--Unless your DM really heavily abbreviates events, ToA is loving looooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnggg. We've been playing 4-5 hours once a week, Most Weeks, for 3 months now and I'd reckon we're a little past the halfway point. And this is with a really aggressive party that inadvertently sequence-broke a whole lot of poo poo! There's an entire prologue in Baldur's Gate that just introduces the basic premise of the campaign that bootstraps the party to level 3, that woulda kept us busy for a month at our rate. You can just fart around in the first city hub in Chult for like two IRL months easy investigating intrigues and insinuating yourself into the local politics. But you SHOULD NOT DO THIS because the implied time limit at the beginning is very very real and the DM *will* be keeping track of it.

--I must stress this, unless your DM treats you with absolute kid gloves THIS IS NOT THE VENUE FOR GIMMICK CHARACTERS. Y'know. Gimmick characters like my immensely nonsurvivable cleric with a massively pumped up dump stat. ToA is about munchkinning. ToA is WoTC giving a kiss and a hug to the kind of player who uses The Bag Of Rats Trick in 3.5e. ToA is the kind of campaign where you scout ahead to spot the lair, chop down a tree, carve it into an arrow, the wizard shrinks it and readies an action, the ranger fires it at an unsuspecting chromatic dragon just before the wizard releases the spell and a speeding tree trunk impaling the wyrm opens combat. And then the dragon STILL responds with a 15D6 breath attack, save for half. If you have an incredibly bullshit, twinked out, munchkin character concept that is good immediately and not nine levels from immediately, whip that motherfucker out for ToA because it's that kind of campaign. I'm talking Paladin/Sorcerer levels of borderline-incoherently silly character synergies.

--It is impossible to overprepare for the jungle travel sections. Even in ingame time you're gonna be a long, long, long long long long long long long time away from anything resembling civilization unless you doot around Port Nyanzaru forever. Which is a bad call, because again: time limit. This is probably the number 1 thing your DM will abstract according to the book, but ToA overall is a love letter to the Baldur's Gate games and Chapter 2 is basically "hey, remember how cool it was to wander around an open world in 1998? Well here's the chapter for YOU!" so you're probably gonna deal with at least a little of it. Do not, for ANY REASON, travel faster than "slow" pace if your DM gives you the option because that's a goddamned trap choice that'll potentially undo an entire session's worth of progress on basically a coinflip, and if someone can somehow get above the tree canopy to see where y'all are on the island it'll save you some grief. Oh, and make super loving sure you've sanity-checked your marching order as well as who takes what watches on rest, when. It gets relevant kind of a lot.

--Protections are HUGE. Protection from evil, protection from energy, protection from undead, protection from poison *cough cough*. Protection from Stuff means 50% less Stuff coming your way. There is a lot of Stuff in that loving jungle. To say nothing of inter-party synergies and a clear plan to control the space on the grid, you NEED a base of protection/resistance and healing. That is just not optional unless your DM just... drops like 50% of the campaign content. If nothing else you need to be able to keep folk ping-ponging from knockdown to barely-conscious to knocked down again if only to absorb incoming attacks from the people who can still fight, because Raise Dead and Revivify and such have a few, uh... asterisks to their operation in ToA.

--For how large the campaign is, it has a shedload of granularity to its design, down to individual buildings in massive, sprawling cities. If it seems like there's a better way to do something, there 1000% is and you should find it because these combats do not gently caress around. Unless it seems like the solution is to split the party. NEVER EVER EVER EVER SPLIT THE PARTY OR AT LEAST ONE HALF WILL PROBABLY WIPE. This is the kind of campaign that throws you in a 15ft x 15ft room with four CR5 clay golems wielding shields and polearms with reach and who have the abilities of Lv.5 barbarians and just expects you to handle that poo poo. At the very least you want folks staying in LoS.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 25, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Darkling Elders get an innate Darkness cast I recall. Have the Elder cast Darkness on the unsuspecting group then have all the regular Darklings jump in. Darklings also produce another cloud of Darkness when they die, so they can keep it going for a while.

The dying ones have a chance to blind enemies via a flash of light but that's another source of advantage.

Splicer posted:

The most straightforward way is aid another. They do 5 average without advantage and 12 average with, so two darklings teaming up for one attack will do more damage than two separately even if both of them would have hit.

I've got a habit of overcomplicating things so this was really helpful.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 25, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Willie Tomg posted:

oh boy i just had to read this during morning-coffee-and-email-time huh?

My ToA is Adventurer's League, so unless you're also doing that nonsense your DM probably won't be as strictly on-book as we've been. That said, I'm gonna answer like your DM is gonna be staying on-book for the most part.

--Unless your DM really heavily abbreviates events, ToA is loving looooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnggg. We've been playing 4-5 hours once a week, Most Weeks, for 3 months now and I'd reckon we're a little past the halfway point. And this is with a really aggressive party that inadvertently sequence-broke a whole lot of poo poo! There's an entire prologue in Baldur's Gate that just introduces the basic premise of the campaign that bootstraps the party to level 3, that woulda kept us busy for a month at our rate. You can just fart around in the first city hub in Chult for like two IRL months easy investigating intrigues and insinuating yourself into the local politics. But you SHOULD NOT DO THIS because the implied time limit at the beginning is very very real and the DM *will* be keeping track of it.

That Baldur's Gate thing is not in the actual book. I think it may be a Adventurer's League optional opening to the game to get you to third level so the Jungle won't eat you alive if you decide to leave the Chult Hub City at level 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

That Baldur's Gate thing is not in the actual book. I think it may be a Adventurer's League optional opening to the game to get you to third level so the Jungle won't eat you alive if you decide to leave the Chult Hub City at level 1.

Correct, ToA proper doesn't even start until around CR 3, there are just a few (optional) ways to get you there.