Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

UberJew posted:

medi-cal will not cover blood tests for t or e levels

holy poo poo that's terrible, getting that stuff measured is super fuckin' important to stay safe, my doc told me a horror story of one of her other patients who was doing the whole "order it all online and do it yourself" thing and never got bloodwork run and by the time she finally got the work done all her bodily humors were all out of whack or w/e and she had to go on a bunch of other treatments to fix it :ohdear:

definitely try to get it done anyway and pay cash if you can, i don't think it's extraordinarily expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Improbable Lobster posted:

lobster dating status:

had a third date, got sushi, still great (the dude i'm dating)

this has been lobster dating status

:kimchi:

keep the updates coming.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

ate all the Oreos posted:

holy poo poo that's terrible, getting that stuff measured is super fuckin' important to stay safe, my doc told me a horror story of one of her other patients who was doing the whole "order it all online and do it yourself" thing and never got bloodwork run and by the time she finally got the work done all her bodily humors were all out of whack or w/e and she had to go on a bunch of other treatments to fix it :ohdear:

definitely try to get it done anyway and pay cash if you can, i don't think it's extraordinarily expensive

we're doing regular blood tests for everything else, just medi-cal does not consider specifically testosterone or estrogen levels to be medically necessary

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I've used https://www.healthonelabs.com in the past (one of those "order it all online" things) and it went fine and I got the results the next day

didn't have any problems. i recommend it. (ymmv, poster is not responsible for your bodily humor imbalances as a result of result waiting times)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

UberJew posted:

we're doing regular blood tests for everything else, just medi-cal does not consider specifically testosterone or estrogen levels to be medically necessary

Yes, but testing those levels is critical to getting you to a dose that will actually give you the bodily changes you want. By 8 months you should have noticeable breast development and softening skin. If you go to like labcorp or something they usually have cash prices for people without insurance/bad insurance. Don't sabotage your transition by avoiding tests! It's not like you need to keep doing tests once you get to your maintenance dose, so you may only have to go a couple times to get there.

FYI, it's not just medicaid though. I have a fancy health plan and they don't cover the estrogen test because the only widely used test is considered "experimental" by the fda because it's never been profitable to do extensive clinical trials for a test that only gets used for trans women.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
I found a way to regulate my effort at work and not feel like death! Diminishing returns are a bitch. Headphones are a lifesaver. I know this isn't strictly queer stuff but I'm definitely in a fogbank of long term brain problems and I'm trying to get on that. I still believe in myself and I've had to deal with losing my debit card, my phone, and getting my car towed within 24 hours and the fact that i'm not only still standing but feeling pretty good is loving astonishing. I go to therapy tomorrow, and I've got a date tomorrow!

One thing I realized is that I don't really get angry or stand up for myself or have fierce boundaries. I'm really good at being aggressively flexible and accommodating, and that leads to letting myself getting stressed out about other people when I could just go 'yo what the gently caress' instead. I'm going to be mindful of that. Not like switch flip bring out the knife , but realize that people can be lame and don't let that affect me personally.

I fell into japanese genderfuck crossdresser twitter and I'm wondering if there's a way to rock that without sort of surrendering your agency in sex? I'm know my knowledge of sexuality is just a hastily assembled patchwork of concepts but I've never trusted a partner to want to express my femininity or interpretation thereof. Especially because a lot of that for cis dudes is wrapped in fetishization of really stupid bullshit like sissies or traps. I just want to be soft without fear? My whole look is goldblumian 80'snerd chic and getting into this realm where I want to look hot is really scary and exciting (I'm thinking about getting my ears pierced and getting some kind of dangly bullshit! And dying my hair some light pastel color! And a computer nerd tattoo! And maybe getting waxed down there!). My other siblings have both deviated from the course of straight cis dude, so I feel like if I pull anything major it'll be a wachowski hat trick from my parents.

Please stop me if my writing is trivial or bullshit or whiny.

PS how Do I start looking hot regardless of how I identify

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
last time i had blood work done i almost passed out in my car afterwards

is it curse from god for kissing boys? only time will tell

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

cis autodrag posted:

Yes, but testing those levels is critical to getting you to a dose that will actually give you the bodily changes you want. By 8 months you should have noticeable breast development and softening skin. If you go to like labcorp or something they usually have cash prices for people without insurance/bad insurance. Don't sabotage your transition by avoiding tests! It's not like you need to keep doing tests once you get to your maintenance dose, so you may only have to go a couple times to get there.

FYI, it's not just medicaid though. I have a fancy health plan and they don't cover the estrogen test because the only widely used test is considered "experimental" by the fda because it's never been profitable to do extensive clinical trials for a test that only gets used for trans women.

yeah sabotage is something im anxious about like, by having an improper dose for this long if i've hosed my system somehow that i won't ever actually transition fully

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

UberJew posted:

yeah sabotage is something im anxious about like, by having an improper dose for this long if i've hosed my system somehow that i won't ever actually transition fully

I don't think it will prevent you from getting full results. It's more like the process will at some point just be stuck at a plateau until you adjust your dose.

Like, cis puberty people's hormones go up in fits and starts and they still end up where they need to in the end. But if you're not working up to the dose you need to be at because you're flying blind on blood levels it's gonna take longer than you would like.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

yeah tests are like once every 6 months or less, it's just to make sure you actually have the right levels of body humors or w/e since everyone metabolizes them at very different rates. that horror story lady my doc told me about was apparently taking more than the normal prescribed dose of estrogen yet had less in her blood than she needed, bodies are real fuckin' weird

UberJew posted:

afaik even the lady i'm talking about still had a successful transition, she just had to unfuck a bunch of other stuff too :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

and hell my british friend who's just utterly given up trying to get the NHS to acknowledge her as trans (apparently the process to get it done is super arduous and involves interviews with therapists whose jobs are to "prove" you have autogynophilia or some other bullshit to keep costs down and after the second or third one of those she just couldn't fuckin' deal anymore) has run out of estrogen periodically in the past (she buys it online but can't always afford it because poor) and has still very much morphed into girlform just fine

at least her GP isn't a dick about it and runs the required blood tests so she knows she's doing it right

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hey fishmech you mentioned home laser hair removal was A Thing now, what do i punch in to google to get me a not-garbage one? is there a particular brand?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Krakox posted:

do you want to do what is hot and comfortable in yourself or do you want to present in a way that others find hot

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Krakox posted:

lift a weight and/or do some sort of demanding physical activity with regularity. cut alcohol consumption to eliminate empty calories and shittons of extra sugars. if you have the ability to improve your actual diet, do so as much as possible to eliminate junk food. always remember that if calories in < calories out you will lose weight.

i went from over 200lbs to 160 over a year and a half span by simply stopping drinking. beyond that, find yourself clothes that you like and just wear whatever you enjoy.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 25, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So I'm wearing my hair a bit differently now, to cover more of my forehead without being straight up bangs. I also looked up some voice feminization coaching videos on youtube, and tried them out a little.

And my mom commented that I seemed happier the past few days. And I liked how my voice sounded using the coaching. I just wish my hair didn't grow at like 2 inches a year.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So I'm wearing my hair a bit differently now, to cover more of my forehead without being straight up bangs. I also looked up some voice feminization coaching videos on youtube, and tried them out a little.

And my mom commented that I seemed happier the past few days. And I liked how my voice sounded using the coaching. I just wish my hair didn't grow at like 2 inches a year.

:unsmith:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Same about the hair, letting mine grow out and not styling it up in the fade I used to do makes me like how I look so much more

At least mines long enough that I need a clip to keep it out of my eyes, it feels cute

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hey fishmech you mentioned home laser hair removal was A Thing now, what do i punch in to google to get me a not-garbage one? is there a particular brand?

this is the one I use: http://www.triabeauty.com/products/hair-removal-laser-4x

the current one I'm using, was one that was on sale at a boston thrift store for $10 since the place clearly didn't know what it was, but a more typical price for a used one will be around $100-$200 since obviously you might not want to pay the full $400 for a new one, even though i know plenty of people who have got them new because they didn't want to risk a dud.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

the current one I'm using, was one that was on sale at a boston thrift store for $10 since the place clearly didn't know what it was, but a more typical price for a used one will be around $100-$200 since obviously you might not want to pay the full $400 for a new one, even though i know plenty of people who have got them new because they didn't want to risk a dud.

thanks. you've seen legit results with it? because it's got my favorite red flag weasel word "FDA-cleared" right there in the first sentence...

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

fishmech posted:

Seriously, thank you.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

how terrible of an idea is it to laser my head so i dont have to shave it every day

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

how terrible of an idea is it to laser my head so i dont have to shave it every day

you got one of those shiny bald heads? because the laser might reflect off it like a disco ball and shoot around the room, pew pew pew

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

you got one of those shiny bald heads? because the laser might reflect off it like a disco ball and shoot around the room, pew pew pew

yeah that's me

i wonder what would happen if i did it between two mirrors :thunk:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thanks. you've seen legit results with it? because it's got my favorite red flag weasel word "FDA-cleared" right there in the first sentence...

yes and so have several people i know

i personally use it for removing certain parts of my facial hair and dealing with body hair. it works well. and a lot of people i know using them are using it on areas they aren't exactly comfortable with showing in a public facility, even though obv a clinic is usually pretty discreet about that.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

fishmech posted:

i personally use it for removing certain parts of my facial hair and dealing with body hair. it works well. and a lot of people i know using them are using it on areas they aren't exactly comfortable with showing in a public facility, even though obv a clinic is usually pretty discreet about that.

Well, I know what I’m saving up for now. Thank you

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah that's me

i wonder what would happen if i did it between two mirrors :thunk:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

when she turned the mirrors she totally just chopped her friend's feet off :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

fishmech posted:

i wonder how this thing compares to waxing

less out of gender / queer concerns and more a visceral hatred of body hair i think, but anyway i'd considered going to a salon and getting parts of me legs waxed, see how it looks, 'cos shaving... works but looks kind of rubbish and porous even immediately, let alone when the stubble runs in

(e) i've never been blessed with dense coarse hair so i dunno how well laser would even work, maybe a pic of me leg or hand is in order tonight

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 26, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i know it's a teen cartoon but the logic part of me brain is :tizzy:ing out watching this that's not how energy works aaaaaaaaa

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i've waxed my eyebrows a couple times because my eyebrows are constantly trying to fuse together into a single, more powerful eyebrow. i'm kinda thinking about laser removal but that's probably the only thing i would want it for

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

less out of gender / queer concerns and more a visceral hatred of body hair i think, but anyway i'd considered going to a salon and getting parts of me legs waxed, see how it looks, 'cos shaving... works but looks kind of rubbish and porous even immediately, let alone when the stubble runs in

(e) i've never been blessed with dense coarse hair so i dunno how well laser would even work, maybe a pic of me leg or hand is in order tonight

go get a home waxing kit and try it yourself, if you're just doing your legs it's an easy and fun way to self-harm at home

don't do it to your crotch though unless you wanna bleed from all your hair holes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

go get a home waxing kit and try it yourself, if you're just doing your legs it's an easy and fun way to self-harm at home

don't do it to your crotch though unless you wanna bleed from all your hair holes

i've considered having a brazilian done (that's what it's called right, like hell i'm googling that at work) because again body hair is yeeurrrchhhhhhh

that might be tmi even for this thread tho :newlol:

but yeah i guess mucking about with a home kit on my upper leg or something won't hurt nothin'

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I bought a phillips lumea ipl machine early on. It worked to a degree and better on some body parts than others. Its good for touchups after ive had laser done.

Its completely annihilated my armpit hair but it took more treatments for other parts and I got impatient and went with a laser at a salon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

actually forgot I have my phone with me for once. here's an unshaved part of my hand. my legs are pretty similar. think that laser would work?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ciaphas posted:

actually forgot I have my phone with me for once. here's an unshaved part of my hand. my legs are pretty similar. think that laser would work?

That's not unlike mine and it's been working very well for me. The key, according to my PA, is to have a good contrast between the hair and skin; the bigger the contrast the better it works. Just keep in mind the thicker the hair growth the more sessions it will take, and the more it will hurt until the hair starts to thin.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i have a large number of moles in all shapes and sizes, is this laser poo poo safe for that? like i tried using some cream stuff on my chest and it made a few hurt and turn red (and also i got some on my nips which was even worse)
cream works great on my pits though

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That looks like my hands pre-ipl. I actually treated all my arms with the IPL since it's easy to reach and do. I didnt need to laser them at all. After about 3-4 treatments when they regrew I havent had to do anything other than touchups every few months for 1-2 hairs that regrew for the last year now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Ymmv. I lasered my face and was clear for about 18 months, but now coarse white (eg untreatable) hairs have spring up all over my face and I have to do electrolysis to clear them eventually. As with most transition related stuff, moderate your expectations and don't expect to have the results of people talking about their excellent results online.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

well the main thing is that when you wax almost all that hair will grow right back in due time, whereas laser will actually reduce the amount of hair that can ever grow back significantly and electrolysis can be essentially guarenteed to destroy them for good (when done properly)

so ultimately waxing is great if you just want to see what it really looks like with things cleared away temporarily. but then again if you're like "gently caress i want this all the time from now on" you'll have missed out ona growth cycle that could have been killed near permanently with laser/electro and the next growth cycles won't be ready for treatment for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so waxing a small part might be a good litmus test, assuming my hair is suitable for lasering anyway (which it looks like it might be). thanks folks :cheers: