Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
"right now the carnivores just see herbivores as food, we want them to see them as PEOPLE. and then eat them."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mastersord posted:

Holbrook is not looking for historical accuracy or real portrayals of issues. He's just looking for a quick story arc for more of his animal based humor.
While this is true, Holbrook's world is intentionally a mirror of ours - it is, in universe, actually our world - and Holbrook himself has specifically said the divides between species are intended to reflect real-world social and cultural divides. Since this is the case, it's extremely hard not to extrapolate any commentary about these divides in the fictional world to our own - if it weren't the authorial intent to comment on real division why mirror so much of it within the fictional world?

How are we to process the predator faction in the last arc if we aren't to read their obsession with genetic purity, their domestic terrorism, and carrying of tiki torches if not as commentary of the rise of neo-nazi marches in support of Trump policies on the deportation of those they view as genetically inferior? With the ultimate denouement being that they lack the purity they preach mirroring the real world nazis preaching anti-immigration being themselves the very obvious descendants of immigrants.

The divisions are fluid, however; none of them were intended to serve as direct mirrors for another, and it's possible that he's not attempting to tackle race here at all. Previous storylines, like the summer camp ones treated the prey/predator divide like girls and boys summer camps - placed across the lake but separated to reduce the chance of anything problematic happening due to the lowered amount of adult supervision. Of course, the divide given isn't 50/50 like sex is, but also that's not really how school enrollment works - in the real world there are many niche schools that serve minorities that are less than 1% of the general population. Plus I don't see how a predator school isn't uniquely equipped to deal with lowered funding given that they don't even have to serve lunches.

Also his comics are never funny.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

I don't understand what this has to do with Shin Godzilla but hopefully it's upholding the honor of that great and important film

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is happy for her anyway.

Working Daze amazingly didn't have her being beamed up to the loving Enterprise.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is :filez:.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I don't understand what this has to do with Shin Godzilla but hopefully it's upholding the honor of that great and important film

The original comic posited Shin Godzilla as a plain bowl of white rice and ended with a list of fancier foods representing other properties, like Zootopia and some Pokemon movie. This seems to be parodying that.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

On point of order: he thinks it's lighthearted and kid friendly.

That's what makes Holbrook such a good bellwether. A person with any serious familiarity with these issues know you can't dumb them down that much without making them infantalizing. But Holbrook simply doesn't get this, because he's only ever consumed media that intentionally dumbs down racial conflict so as to minimize the white guilt. When Holbrook makes a joke about the incompetent Nazi predators who can only find tiki torches to light the way, it's a reflection of the media he consumes that turned that specific aspect of the story into a punchline, while ignoring what the real-life Nazis were actually trying to do- murder innocent people, or at least beat the poo poo out of them.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

On further reflection I think the relevant modern day issue Holbrook is going for here is not segregation but actually rural school closures. The analogy is still hosed, because the main reason that's a contentious issue is because people in rural areas really hate having to do long commutes to get their kids to the city. There's no imagined pedagogical reason that different kinds of people need to be kept separated for longer, nor was there ever under segregation present or past tense, which is why this is going to get very stupid very quickly.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

TofuDiva posted:

Ballard Street

JJ Abrams Sr. confirmed sighting on Ballard Street?

Also anytime is a good time for helmet collection, I feel.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly, I think anyone trying to make 1:1 comparisons with the real world is overthinking this. Holbrook has just set up a world with a generic "Group A" vs "Group B" conflict, and sometimes that parallels wealth inequality or racial inequality or gay marriage, but it's not one thing all the time.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Lottie is great.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 29, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 29, 1996)

Garfield Classic (June 29, 1986)

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Bobulus posted:

Honestly, I think anyone trying to make 1:1 comparisons with the real world is overthinking this. Holbrook has just set up a world with a generic "Group A" vs "Group B" conflict, and sometimes that parallels wealth inequality or racial inequality or gay marriage, but it's not one thing all the time.

I think stuff like this was the original spark getting the hate train going against Holbrook, at least in my memory. There were a few strips with similar "You think we're bad, have you seen humanity?!?!"

I'm not gonna take that poo poo from someone whose loveable cast of characters live in a society of normalized cannibalism and go out of their way to preserve that society. gently caress these cartoon animals forever.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Calling it. Fox dad disowns his son for dating a person who keeps things private and just likes plain sex but because fox dad is supposed to be sexually open he claims it's a race issue.

Edit: I got the post comics thread mixed up with this post comics thread.

Edit 2: Wait, that plot almost works for Kevin and Kell too. Just replace the sex stuff with something PG.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 25, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Arlo loves that stupid catte

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Wow. You can cut the sexual tension with a knife.

Pleaseohplease let Mary's "secret ingredient" be a really potent strain of pot.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Clay Camel was one of the oldest Mandrake villains. This was his final storyline.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 25, 2018

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

what

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Command Ant posted:

Lottie is great.

Oh believe me, I know. You just wait until the third case, there's some of her finest moments.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BigglesSWE posted:

Also anytime is a good time for helmet collection, I feel.

My thoughts exactly!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

Gotta Hulk Fast

Magnificatz

Dick Tracy

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The current storyline in Modesty Blaise hasn't grabbed me yet, but I'll say one thing for it. We know they'll come to blows eventually, but for once the bad guys saw Modesty walking around and said, "Let's leave her alone," instead of "LET'S PISS HER OFF ASAP SO SHE'LL COME gently caress US UP!"

1. You could still date, if that's what you want to do. You didn't grow up together so there wouldn't be an incesty vibe. And you hate your mom, so it's not like if things didn't work out with Tiff it would make family reunions weird.

2. Is Ann Eiffel paying the booking fee? Last we saw, Pru waived that. That was only for the first party, yes, but we haven't seen anything to say whether or not she's paid for subsequent events and we know a dedicated con-woman would try to get around that.

3. All of Tiff's stated goals would still be better served by ratting Ann Eiffel out to Souffle Lingerie and their attack lawyers.

4. Here is some terrible fan fiction. Linked because it's unimaginably awful. I don't recommend it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Manuel Calavera posted:

One Big Happy

Foob

I just realize OBH is what Foob should have been.

Julet Esqu posted:

4. Here is some terrible fan fiction. Linked because it's unimaginably awful. I don't recommend it.
Mordock999 is a deeply disturbed individual.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

They're just muffins. I mean there are good muffins but it's nothing to go crazy over.

I recently had a French toast muffin though and it was delicious, but I doubt that's the kind of thing we're looking at here. Looks like it's probably blueberry, or maybe chocolate chip. Hard to say for sure.

The Phantom

SpacePig posted:

Never thought we'd get a crossover between Pooch Café and Mark Trail of all things, but here we are.
Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

- - -

Pooch Cafe

1) I really appreciate the effort put into advancing my dumb, offhand joke.

2) I still think that individual, out-of-context, unedited Mark Trail strips are most often the funniest poo poo in the thread.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

For a comic that is ending is 2 1/2 weeks, I figure Guy would have started his final story line by now.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

“I love when two men eat my muffins at the same time”
:dadjoke:

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

For a comic that is ending is 2 1/2 weeks, I figure Guy would have started his final story line by now.

Something hosed up is happening to the sun. This is how everything ends...in madness and fire.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The Perishers (1986)

Beau Peep (1984)

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
World's Saddest Bear, the Bear That's Sad All the Time

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

"Not here in America though! I can draw this badass Nazi-Lich and there's nothing you can do to stop me!"

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Ham Shears

The Creeps

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!