Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I brought the dreaded MAN COLD back with me. Someone loving kill me.

Main fuel relay or fuel pump jump to mind, personally. If it was the immobilizer, it'll crank all day, but won't fire (and the immobilizer light would be flashing while trying to start it).

If it's old enough to have a distributor, the ignitor may be failing too. Does the tach kinda lose its poo poo when it's acting up?

Nah, gauges stay still. It's a 99 TL, 3.2L with the normal failing trans (literally 239k on a trans that should have failed at 80k).

When it does the whole "runs for two minutes, THEN dies" and takes a bunch of cranks, the green key light does flash at me. So maybe it is the immobilizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does anyone have any idea of where to buy seeds for chiles? I'm thinking about trying to growing my own.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

iwentdoodie posted:

Nah, gauges stay still. It's a 99 TL, 3.2L with the normal failing trans (literally 239k on a trans that should have failed at 80k).

When it does the whole "runs for two minutes, THEN dies" and takes a bunch of cranks, the green key light does flash at me. So maybe it is the immobilizer.

Could it be fuel pump control? Either module or relay? Enough fuel pressure to initially start but then falls off?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

iwentdoodie posted:

3.2 should be coil on plug. And buy a loving lotto ticket, that thing should be on its 3rd or 4th trans by now. :stare:

Yeah, flashing key light is the immobilizer freaking out over... something. But it shouldn't kill the car once it's running. At least it wouldn't on my 01 Accord. At one point I snapped the plastic head off of the key, so I'd just hold that against the steering column while starting it with what was left of the key, then put the plastic part in my pocket once it was running. I would think the TL would have similar programming, since it's still a Honda.

Do you have any other keys?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
My neighbours are having a loud, domestic argument at 8am.

As I put my ear plugs in, all I can think is 'who the hell has that kind of negative energy at that time in the morning?'

I don't think I have every had an argument before 10am. Even if you stole my breakfast bacon and replaced it with kale, I'd probably just grunt.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah, flashing key light is the immobilizer freaking out over... something. But it shouldn't kill the car once it's running.

My Audi's immobilizer works by killing the car immediately after it starts. Not saying the acura works the same way, but immobilizers like that do exist.

spog posted:

As I put my ear plugs in, all I can think is 'who the hell has that kind of negative energy at that time in the morning?'

I don't think I have every had an argument before 10am. Even if you stole my breakfast bacon and replaced it with kale, I'd probably just grunt.

I know people like this. Plenty of energy, but just hate the world until about 930am.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
My 1.8t isnt sludged up, oil level sensor is being done by the garage, leaving me to sort the oil pressure switch so I feel like I did something too- even if its a 5 min job for the garage and an hour+ for me, I might learn something while inevitably skinning my knuckles.

In an act of karmic rebalance, as soon as I got off the phone to the garage, a gust of wind smacked a tree branch into the top of my head.

spog posted:

You might have my former neighbors, if they got back together after splitting up in the middle of the street circa 7am while accusing each other of loving various teenagers.

Prior to a large cup of coffee I just don't function other than to make coffee and feed the cat (otherwise he gets in the way)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cross post from Subaru thread:

Went to pick up the wife's Outback from the collision shop and I left without the car and pretty disappointed. They put on a new front bumper and some trim, and sprayed it. It's a little darker than the hood and fenders, and there's imperfections below the head lights on both sides. They said it happens because they aren't in a perfect environment for paint (wtf, I assume this was done in a paint booth to prevent poo poo like this?) and that insurance may not cover them fixing it as they allow some "normal" defects like this. How much horse poo poo was this guy trying to feed me?

Edit: we have USAA, should we be contacting them about this?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Larrymer posted:

Went to pick up the wife's Outback from the collision shop and I left without the car and pretty disappointed. They put on a new front bumper and some trim, and sprayed it. It's a little darker than the hood and fenders, and there's imperfections below the head lights on both sides. They said it happens because they aren't in a perfect environment for paint (wtf, I assume this was done in a paint booth to prevent poo poo like this?) and that insurance may not cover them fixing it as they allow some "normal" defects like this. How much horse poo poo was this guy trying to feed me?

gently caress yes contact them. We had the same poo poo happen a couple years ago, and USAA refused payment until they fixed it correctly.

Only way you may get boned is if it's a place you chose vs they chose.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Larrymer posted:

I'm with you. If they're not in an environment for painting, then they shouldn't be doing collision repair. gently caress that. And color match wouldn't have anything to do with that. That's most likely mixing to the color code for the car rather than the actual color, which a good shop can measure with a colorimeter and do.
What doodie said. The insurance may send an adjuster to check it out.

In unrelated but good news, the city of Irving, TX seems to have patched the killer pothole that took a bite of my tire a while back. Had occasion to drive the same route this week, and didn't fall into a chuckhole.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That's specifically why I avoid the 'recommended' shops. It's a catch-22 - when you pick 'their' shop they've built a relationship to squeeze every penny out of the shop and in turn will do a lovely job. When you pick 'your' shop they'll put as much responsibility on you to handle as many things as they can get away with, and be dicks about it all.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 24, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Grakkus posted:

My Audi's immobilizer works by killing the car immediately after it starts. Not saying the acura works the same way, but immobilizers like that do exist.

I know, but I've experienced Honda immobilizers personally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

You don't have to take the car back until it is acceptable to you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sounds like they're gonna send somebody out to make sure they fix it correctly. USAA said that the shop is going to be on the hook to pay for fixing it and making it right. First ever claim (that wasn't a windshield), so we'll see how it goes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Another goon just had a similar issue with his VW in the hatchback thread. Shops seem to go all out on repair work up until the paint where they just stop giving a poo poo entirely. Hope they make it look better on the second pass. And if they don't your insurer should allow you to take it elsewhere to have it repainted to your satisfaction.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

THE gently caress DID YOU DO TO IT?!

I have at least double (triple?) the miles you have on virtually the same car (aside from the drivetrain). It needs bushings and struts/shocks, plus rotors, and the ac is dead... but it's held up pretty decent for a 200k GM econobox. It doesn't drive like new, but aside from the rotors shaking my teeth out when I brake (fixing that Friday), it's held up pretty well for what it is. Just finished a road trip in it with no issues, and wouldn't hesitate to take it on another road trip.

michigan roads killed my car and ate my baybay

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ughhhhh i have to present in front of some sort of VP in an hour and i'm nooooot a big fan of poo poo like this ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

ughhhhh i have to present in front of some sort of VP in an hour and i'm nooooot a big fan of poo poo like this ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just imagine he's naked or something like that

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah, rereading your post I can see that's what you meant. Sorry!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Another goon just had a similar issue with his VW in the hatchback thread. Shops seem to go all out on repair work up until the paint where they just stop giving a poo poo entirely. Hope they make it look better on the second pass. And if they don't your insurer should allow you to take it elsewhere to have it repainted to your satisfaction.

Shop is one of their approved ones and has a lifetime warranty on the work. CSR from USAA seemed to be handling poo poo but I'm a bit worried since the shop fed me so much bullshit garbage. The guy even said something to the effect of "if we have to fix this it may charge your insurance again and raise your rates" which I was a bit shocked he'd say. I've never done a claim before but it was red flags left and right.

If we have to take it to another shop that's fine I guess, but it's already been a few weeks wifey is getting tired of the lovely smoked in Chrysler 300.

BraveUlysses posted:

The more you do it, the better you'll be. Even if they have some fancy title they're just some dude. That helps level me a bit when I have to report on issues to higher up folks weekly.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm wondering seriously if that's what it is. I do have 2 keys, but afaik it's done it with both.

Gonna swap out keys tonight, and see if it does it again over the next few days/weeks.

Edit: higher level mgmt is still just a person. Then again, I'm super used to having to deal with them. Military I worked with them a lot, and this new place I have 2 meetings a day with our VP and have been out to lunch with him numerous times. They're just people.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

The more you do it, the better you'll be. Even if they have some fancy title they're just some dude. That helps level me a bit when I have to report on issues to higher up folks weekly.

sat through the whole meeting and they ran out of time for me to present it :v:

go figure, it was way less tense of a meeting than the other shortage meeting I attend which is full of lower level managers and employees

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Shop is one of their approved ones and has a lifetime warranty on the work. CSR from USAA seemed to be handling poo poo but I'm a bit worried since the shop fed me so much bullshit garbage. The guy even said something to the effect of "if we have to fix this it may charge your insurance again and raise your rates" which I was a bit shocked he'd say. I've never done a claim before but it was red flags left and right.

If we have to take it to another shop that's fine I guess, but it's already been a few weeks wifey is getting tired of the lovely smoked in Chrysler 300.

Make sure you tell your agent what he said. My dad had a similar issue getting his Audi repaired last year. Seemed like the shop was trying to double dip on the repair.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

If you have twitter, complain and tag USAA, they've been pretty good about answering complaints raised on twitter.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Shops like that depend on a good relationship with the insurance reps. If the shop is hassling you over it, make sure USAA knows. Most likely they're trying to get you to accept the lovely work so they don't lose money paying for the materials and labor to fix it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
HA. 59,999.6 kms clocked up on Strava. Given October/Nov/December were a disaster due to personal and health reasons, getting right stuck into it this year has been fan-loving-tastic for the mental health.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Amazing what two weeks of full sun, heat and 3 times a day watering will achieve...

Went from this

To this

And cos the sandy loam base under it is still nothing but water laden goo...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
NAIAS was kewl.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

NAIAS was kewl.

And now Gwen Stefani is stuck in my head so gently caress you.

Audit at work is finally over. Maybe now I can hit less than 17k steps by 1pm every day.

On the brightside, my drinking has shockingly been much, much better. 2 or 3 beers, if any, a night. And no desire past that. I'm seriously hoping this job continues to work out because I am so much loving happier it's ridiculous.

My drinking is now purely because I want the taste of beer with dinner, not to try and steel myself for the day ahead and get to sleep without horrible thoughts.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

NAIAS was kewl.

wait when were you there??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

wait when were you there??

20 minutes ago. We just got together on a lark this morning and decided to go.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

20 minutes ago. We just got together on a lark this morning and decided to go.

oh nice, i had to go a few times this year because we had a booth lol

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A kissing booth?

:laffo:

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 26, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was fun. Lots of cool poo poo. Lots of kids breaking poo poo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

It was fun. Lots of cool poo poo. Lots of kids breaking poo poo.

it finally sold my wife on getting either the subaru crosstrek or the golf alltrack, most probably the crosstrek because it's like $10k cheaper

it also sold her on me getting either an STi or a Focus RS :getin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Buick wagon was pretty goddamned neat.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it finally sold my wife on getting either the subaru crosstrek or the golf alltrack, most probably the crosstrek because it's like $10k cheaper

it also sold her on me getting either an STi or a Focus RS :getin:

My mum just picked up a TDI VW Tiguan. Its not a bad little baby soft roader really.

Shes thinking of jamming a set of BFG AT's onto it. Not because she needs their offroad ability, but just cos sidewall lugs make things look so much cooler

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why the gently caress are people posting about BubbRub on facebook and acting like it's a new thing?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish they would all get horrible papercuts.

• Locked thread