Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

DisDisDis posted:

I was really into that guy when the first 2 eps dropped but apparently the show wasn't good?

don't worry, that character was good all the way through

other characters not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
On the note of milquetoast from a few pages ago:
1) I honestly didn't know it was based off of a comic strip character(who was named after the dish)
2) Also didn't know it is considered by some to be a comfort food https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_toast

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Don't worry Dis, it's winter, I'm sure the chest will fully emerge from its hibernation come spring

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

tsob posted:

No, and I'm really just regurgitating the general gist of a handful of articles I've read over the last couple of years. Articles I can neither remember the name or source of. It's not going to be directly off Sankaku Complex at the least, since I don't think I've ever visited there; but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was an article reposted from there or with no proper source. I'd hope not, but I don't recall any of the individual articles so it's still possible. I'm happy to go looking for stuff myself later, for my own edification if nothing else, but in the absence of anything concrete right at the moment you can take it as an inadvertent spreading of rumor and I'm happy to bow to your more intimate knowledge of the situation given you appear to follow blogs on the matter at the least; rather than just reading the odd article.

I don’t really have much more than anecdotes either, you shouldn’t bow to me. I believe there’s a labor crunch in the industry, but that’s just because there’s a labor crunch in Japan as a whole. The need to move from an inherented 1960s-era low wage/productivity equilibrium to a higher one is pretty much the core problem with Japan’s economy as a whole, but like this random twitter guy I follow says the shrinking labor pool may actually provide the necessary impetus to do that

https://twitter.com/rihostetter/status/937677571629522944

I’m just not as pessimistic about the future as a lot of the discussion surrounding this, I guess? It seems like conceptually not a hard problem to solve by just getting fewer but more skilled animators, paying them more, and outsourcing or automating grunt work. The idea that Japanese people/companies are somehow fundamentally incapable of that and the industry will just implode seems sort of absurdly pessimistic (although it’s possible I guess?) also because that process in fact seems to be happening/has already happened to a significant extent over time

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 25, 2018

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Endorph posted:

pocahantas was disney's attempt to make a serious arthouse film that'd win best picture after beauty and the beast got nominated

they were so confident in it that animators would beg to be put on pocahantas instead of lion king, and people would be punished by being demoted from pocahantas to lion king

lol

Lmao

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

icantfindaname posted:

It seems like conceptually not a hard problem to solve by just getting fewer but more skilled animators, paying them more

I doubt this part will happen. Companies cutting staff generally don't use the freed up money to pay those they still employ more. Increasing wages will probably take action by the actual staff rather than the company heads. I don't even mean that as a "Japan" thing; I mean it as a capitalism thing. There's probably sentient aliens somewhere dealing with that exact same issue.

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 25, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

tsob posted:

I doubt this part will happen. Companies cutting staff generally don't use the freed up money to pay those they still employ more. Increasing wages will probably take action by the actual staff rather than the company heads. I don't even mean that as a "Japan" thing; I mean it as a capitalism thing. There's probably sentient aliens somewhere dealing with that exact same issue.

Right, but the people they cut/outsource/automate away will be the lowest-skilled and lowest-paid because those positions are easiest to outsource or automate, so just mathematically the average pay will increase for the remaining employees as a group. You're right that the people who are currently in the middle/upper levels of the pay scale may not be paid more, but they're not really the people we're most concerned with. This happens in the rest of the economy as well, hence twitter guy's productivity explosion

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 25, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Automation always increases wages.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

chumbler posted:

Automation always increases wages.
Except for the people who are no longer receiving wages due to their jobs being automated/outsourced. :capitalism:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

Except for the people who are no longer receiving wages due to their jobs being automated/outsourced. :capitalism:

That doesn't count because uhhh......

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
drat, Grancrest War not holding back showing people getting brutally murdered in war battles. Kinda surprising considering the first 2 episodes were relatively bloodless in comparison.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Postal Parcel posted:

First season was great
I didn't finish pt2
It seems this was the right choice to make. Bahamut S2 nosedived after the halfway point.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Allarion posted:

drat, Grancrest War not holding back showing people getting brutally murdered in war battles. Kinda surprising considering the first 2 episodes were relatively bloodless in comparison.

Yeah, that took me by surprise too.
Like, you had that scene where Seluca blasted a bunch of dudes with lightning, and I was thinking "Oh, how conveniently bloodless and ambiguous about whether or not they actually died," then BAM, THROAT DAGGERS.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Right, but the people they cut/outsource/automate away will be the lowest-skilled and lowest-paid because those positions are easiest to outsource or automate, so just mathematically the average pay will increase for the remaining employees as a group. You're right that the people who are currently in the middle/upper levels of the pay scale may not be paid more, but they're not really the people we're most concerned with. This happens in the rest of the economy as well, hence twitter guy's productivity explosion
I think outsourcing or automating the lower-level positions will make anime's quality worse, not better.

for instance, here's an anime that was very heavily outsourced, far more than any other anime that aired this year:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/im-speechless.mp4

quote:

After seeing all of this, you’re likely wondering how it happened. You might think that, even though their long-running productions have their ups and downs, an entity as important as Studio Pierrot couldn’t possibly produce such a disaster. And you’d be wrong in your assumption – not in the usual sense that studio names are very much secondary to the actual staff, which is always a good point, but rather thinking that Pierrot is animating the show. Sure they’re the ones credited for its production (with assistance of their subsidiary Studio Pierrot+), but the truth is that every episode so far has been fully outsourced, a trend that shows no signs of stopping after 8 episodes. Chances are, the entire show will be. As you’ll know if you follow this site, fully outsourcing entails subcontracting the production of an entire episode to another studio, who will be in charge not only of providing the artists to get it made (whether they’re their own or further subcontracted), but will also have their own production assistants and episode directors overseeing the process. Almost all TV anime nowadays have fully outsourced episodes, and most of them end up with multiple throughout single cours. Situations where all episodes are subcontracted are entirely exceptional, however; we saw another very rare exception earlier this year with Onihei, a show made at Masao Maruyama’s new company M2 before he had even assembled proper staff for it. On top of this questionable achievement, it’s worth noting that 5/8 episodes of DYNAMIC CHORD are fully outsourced to multiple studios at the same time. Which is to say that they’re split in chunks, shipped to independent crews, and later assembled into a Frankenstein monstrosity. At this point you should be able to see why the result is what it is.

quote:

Exploring the individual visions of anime creators can be fascinating, but at the end of the day production is a team effort. We constantly hear from industry people how much of a difference it makes to be able to get your goal across to a team that’s working alongside you, which is becoming increasingly rarer as crews grow big and more fragmented. And that’s why it’s important to keep in mind that DYNAMIC CHORD isn’t an isolated accident. Of course it’s a bigger disaster than its peers, but at its core it’s suffering from the exact same problems as the rest of the industry.

Obviously, it's an incredibly extreme example, and 'raggle fraggle outsourcing bad' isn't exactly the sole takeaway from this, but an increased reliance on outsourcing makes it harder for a show to have a consistent vision and consistent animation. I don't think it's a silver bullet, and I am actually concerned for the talents and futures of even the lowest level animators.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

I think outsourcing or automating the lower-level positions will make anime's quality worse, not better.

for instance, here's an anime that was very heavily outsourced, far more than any other anime that aired this year:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/im-speechless.mp4

Obviously, it's an incredibly extreme example, and 'raggle fraggle outsourcing bad' isn't exactly the sole takeaway from this, but an increased reliance on outsourcing makes it harder for a show to have a consistent vision and consistent animation. I don't think it's a silver bullet, and I am actually concerned for the talents and futures of even the lowest level animators.

My hope is that it pushes the industry towards producing more ‘prestige’ shows and fewer lovely LN adaptations. Outsourcing/CG would be more to replace the LN-adaptations than to replace all Japanese inbetweeners period

And I feel like that’s kind of already where the industry is, and continues moving towards?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 25, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

My hope is that it pushes the industry towards producing more ‘prestige’ shows and fewer lovely LN adaptations. Outsourcing/CG would be more to replace the LN-adaptations than to replace all Japanese inbetweeners period

And I feel like that’s kind of already where the industry is, and continues moving towards?
If the industry contracted they'd make more LN anime, not less. LN anime has already invested producers, is easier on the character designers and background artists because they only have to adapt ideas and designs rather than make wholly new ones, and usually has way more scenes of characters standing around talking than anything else, because most novels, light or otherwise, have way more scenes of characters talking than original anime does.

The floor for a LN adaptation is that you at least get money from the producers and sell a few more copies of the LN, and if the sales of the LN are noticeably increased you'll get a second season just off of that, even if nobody thought the first season was very good or were rushing to buy the BDs. The floor for an original anime is making negative money. The worst flops in the field of LN anime are nothing compared to the worst flops of original anime.

The anime that are at the bottom of the industry in terms of financials aren't random LN adaptations like Grimoire of Zero or Knights and Magic, the anime that are at the bottom of the industry in terms of financials are stuff that actually had some artistry put into it like Flip Flappers or Animegataris. If the industry contracted or switched more to outsourcing, we'd lose projects like that and get lazier LN/manga/game adaptations, not lose the modestly animated LN adaptations and go all in on making more weird experimental stuff.

If you look at the best selling series from the last year, they aren't 'prestige' shows. They're adaptations of manga, light novels, or games. Some of those shows are actually really good, but they aren't prestige anime-original projects. Some of the most lucrative anime from 2017 were based on mobile games, and that's a hugely growing industry in its own right, so odds are we'll see a shitload of those in the coming years. And even among the original anime that did well, they usually have some heavy marketing gimmick. Symphogear Season 4 did amazingly, but it also literally exists to sell CDs and has been around for five years at this point. Tsuki ga Kirei and Yuuki Yuuna did alright by themselves, but Yuuki Yuuna is part of an established franchise, and Tsuki ga Kirei has little tie-in opportunities, so it's unlikely it made that much money. Starmyu and Wake Up Girls did alright, but they're also both established franchises, and cashing in on the idol trend.

Symphogear AXZ is, near as I can tell, the most profitable original anime from last year by a mile, and the money it made still pales in comparison to the money Granblue pulled in, and nobody even liked the Granblue anime that much, even hardcore Granblue fans.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 25, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, I didn't know AXZ did that well. That's awesome and it deserves it.

But on the other hand I didn't realise Flip Flappers did that poorly. I knew it was selling bad but I wasn't thinking among the least profitable anime of 2017. :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man, I didn't know AXZ did that well. That's awesome and it deserves it.

But on the other hand I didn't realise Flip Flappers did that poorly. I knew it was selling bad but I wasn't thinking among the least profitable anime of 2017. :(

considerign it was released in 2016 it probably was one of the least profitable anime of 2017

for real though there are shows that sold worse than flipflap in both 2016 and 2017 but it sold very poorly and had basically no tie-in merch, and since it wasnt a tie in to any manga or game or ln or anything, it was basically a net negative in terms of financials for everyone involved. thats what i mean when i say the floor for original anime is much lower than the floor for tie-in anime, even if the show sells like poo poo you can at least handwave it as 'well, we got the original propety's name out there,' and the original LNs and such receive almost always receive a noticeable boost after the anime is announced, even before it airs.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 25, 2018

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the granblue anime was cool. they brought some really good talent aboard for climactic action scenes and it's a series that really benefits from fun filler eps where they just toss in your favorite gacha chars, so I'd like to see more of that from season 2. I didn't even know the two treasure hunter girls were an item until their anime ep. and the halloween ova that only got subbed a month ago has Cagliostro in the spotlight, and she's the best

the early story isnt super interesting but they did their best to spice it up from the original script and the cast was bouncing off each other by the time Io joined. and the team rocket duo are a joy every time they show up. even gran, who everyone wanted to be djeeta instead, got to show off his cool side and the romantic subplot w/ lyria was unexpected and cute. you can tell they put a lot of effort into a show that everyone could have just phoned in and it would've sold the exact same because mobage bonuses and I really appreciate that.

ironically i'm also the one granblue fan who didn't buy any of the discs, so i'm supporting it the least?? oops.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

considerign it was released in 2016 it probably was one of the least profitable anime of 2017

Look, years are hard.

And yeah I knew that there were clearly shows that did worse, but still I really liked that show and I wish it did better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah im not saying granblue was bad or anything, from what i watched it was pretty decent, and im sure fans of the game like, LIKED it, but im just saying nobody was putting it on their best anime of 2017 lists

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched the first two episodes of Granblue and it seemed kind of meh did it pick up after that?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thanks to the nice posters who peer pressured me into watching A Place Further Than The Universe a while back. This show is beautiful and so funny and just great.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The greatest mystery.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

is this from the bahamut anime?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RottenK posted:

is this from the bahamut anime?

It is, yes.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i have to watch it, then

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Oh thank gently caress somebody finally fixed it!

I was seriously considering it for a while.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Someone in here recommended Takunomi. The first episode is off to a strong start but I need to know, does the gay stay at arms length? I read nothing and prepared not at all before putting this on.
e: nevermind, this is the drinking anime, I know what I'm here for.

Liver Disaster fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 26, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yurucamp good

https://files.catbox.moe/szs5ft.webm

I love the contrast between Rin's quiet solo camps and the goofy Outdoors Club

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

She's so blunt and serious :3:

Too... sparkly...

Don't drink cigarette ash coffee, Kondo...

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

By 'prestige' show vs 'LN-adaptation' I mean more 'well-animated' vs 'slideshow-animated' than what the source material is or anything, that was a bad way of describing it. I don't expect tie-ins shows to go anywhere. But I'm still reasonably confident the industry will figure out a way to keep the same level of output them with less of a low skilled/waged exploitative workflow, because they'll be forced to by labor shortages in Japan broadly

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 26, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

icantfindaname posted:

I don't really get what you're saying here. Cutting the lowest paid people will mean they go from a poo poo wage to no wage at all, and the only people who'll get any kind of raise out of it will almost certainly be the upper management since they'll be rewarded for saving money by getting some of it as a wage increase or bonus. The average wage of those remaining might go up, but no-one's actual pay will change; just the average the company pays since the number of employees will have changed. How is that a good thing?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah yes, the solution to low pay in the anime industry is to loving fire everyone who is getting low pay.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's technically true, which is the best kind of true

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nobody told me a chill foodporn series is what I really wanted from Fate. Goddamn, never thought Carnival Phantasm could be matched.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so this thing is getting a tv anime

https://j-novel.club/s/how-not-to-summon-a-demon-lord/
http://isekaimaou-anime.com/

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

quote:

Tags: isekai, demon lord, mmorpg, harem, slave

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ah, overlord

• Locked thread