Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

I gotta say, more Hollywood Handbook is definitely the only thing that would ever convince me to pay for Stitcher Premium. Well played, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

knows a black guy posted:

I gotta say, more Hollywood Handbook is definitely the only thing that would ever convince me to pay for Stitcher Premium. Well played, I guess.

yeah this. but also I still probably won't.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I was interested, looking to hear raised by tv with lauren lapkis and john gabrus, but an entire hour? For all cartoons? All of them. They just said remember doug? remember care bears? Uhhh remember snorks?

It was literally that metalocalypse "remember the 80s" comedian, probably the most disappointing way to mine nostalgia, to just point at it and say, rocco's modern life was a weird one and moving on to the next without adding any commentary.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It definitely feels like targeting niche audiences for your niche service feels like the way to go. HH fans are super into HH, even if there's not a lot of them. This'll scoop up some more subscribers.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Krinkle posted:

I was interested, looking to hear raised by tv with lauren lapkis and john gabrus, but an entire hour? For all cartoons? All of them. They just said remember doug? remember care bears? Uhhh remember snorks?

It was literally that metalocalypse "remember the 80s" comedian, probably the most disappointing way to mine nostalgia, to just point at it and say, rocco's modern life was a weird one and moving on to the next without adding any commentary.

I got to the point where they started singing the Tiny Toon Adventures song before I turned it off. I love them both, and I love cartoons, but I really couldn't get anything out of it. Maybe it improves once Betsy Sodaro shows up or something, but I honestly didn't have the patience.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The guests on Raised By TV, outside of the live ep, only show up at the very end to do dramatic readings of "Very Special Episode" sitcom scenes. Overall I'd say the show is like 66% "Remember this??? The SNICK couch??? What was IN that Gummy Beary Juice anyhow???" and 33% interesting/amusing personal stories. If you listen to High & Mighty you've probably already heard Gabrus' childhood stories (Still funny though,) and Lauren's are interesting since she so rarely appears outside of a character on podcasts.

I listen mostly because they have really complementary energies, but that's also exactly why it's a very hit-or-miss show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My biggest frustration with Raised By TV is how Gabrus just stomps all over anything Lapkus has to say even though she's the more interesting of the two, mainly because she's always in character and Gabrus is never in character. I don't mind all the DO YOU REMEMBER X stuff, I just wish Gabrus wouldn't pound 3 cold brews seconds before hitting the record button.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Steamrolling everything is pretty much gabrus's entire schtick and life.

I tried a later ep of Raised by TV and it was all right, slightly less manic, but honestly I just don't really think Lapkus and gabrus are that great a pairing, I don't know. Paul Scheer played the pedophile from Different Strokes in one of their reenactments and that was pretty hilarious at least.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I know it's his schtick, but other people can rope him in. Lapkus is too nice.

I wish they'd have guests on and kinda let the guests talk about what THEY remember, and Lapkus and Gabrus participate in that. Sorta like Doughboys but with nostalgia.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I know it's his schtick, but other people can rope him in. Lapkus is too nice.

I wish they'd have guests on and kinda let the guests talk about what THEY remember, and Lapkus and Gabrus participate in that. Sorta like Doughboys but with nostalgia.

Or better yet, bring in people that were involved with these things like I Was There Too. Talk to Tress MacNeille or Billy West or Tom Kenny about their experiences voicing their cartoons over the years. Get modern actors who might've had marginally embarrassing minor roles on popular TV programs. Get Dave Coulier or Fred Savage or someone to come on and talk about their poo poo. Talk about TGIF with Jaleel White. Do something. Anything besides just "Hey, remember this? Remember how the theme song goes?"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

Or better yet, bring in people that were involved with these things like I Was There Too. Talk to Tress MacNeille or Billy West or Tom Kenny about their experiences voicing their cartoons over the years. Get modern actors who might've had marginally embarrassing minor roles on popular TV programs. Get Dave Coulier or Fred Savage or someone to come on and talk about their poo poo. Talk about TGIF with Jaleel White. Do something. Anything besides just "Hey, remember this? Remember how the theme song goes?"

But they did do this with one of the actresses from Step By Step.

I agree, I want them to do it more, but they've definitely already done that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
When are they going to talk about Scannerz, when is our society going to remember Scannerz, someone please remember Scannerz.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

When are they going to talk about Scannerz, when is our society going to remember Scannerz, someone please remember Scannerz.

Those things barely worked and the combat system--the main draw--was garbage. I felt like a dumbass scanning hundreds of cans in the soup aisle at the grocery store.

(The combat system also had a major flaw: no one else had one.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Franchescanado posted:

Those things barely worked and the combat system--the main draw--was garbage. I felt like a dumbass scanning hundreds of cans in the soup aisle at the grocery store.

(The combat system also had a major flaw: no one else had one.)

So, fun story here: I talked about Scannerz, to make fun of the idea of someone being nostalgic for Scannerz, but I got curious and wanted to see what people my age are nostalgic for and oh no its actually Scannerz

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

So, fun story here: I talked about Scannerz, to make fun of the idea of someone being nostalgic for Scannerz, but I got curious and wanted to see what people my age are nostalgic for and oh no its actually Scannerz

That's impossible! There's nothing to be nostalgic about! They didn't have the interaction like tomagatchis, the combat sucked, NO ONE OWNED THEM...All they did was scan!

The monster designs were :krad: though

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Franchescanado posted:

But they did do this with one of the actresses from Step By Step.

I agree, I want them to do it more, but they've definitely already done that.

Oh, did they? I might have to check that one out, then. I'll look into it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think RBTV essentially suffers from being a side show where nobody is really going to put a huge amount of effort into it beyond pressing Record, which is a shame.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I trial'd Howl premium a while back and cancelled yet somehow through the app I can still get premium eps, so that may still work for some people.

Also a chunk of the podcast market is realizing Patreon (which the boys complain about Earwolf is not letting them do) will usually cover expenses and have a nice niche where they are even making some $$$ - which kinda takes content away from premium networks

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
On this week's James Bonding, I cannot tell the voices of James Bladon and Matt Mira at all. One is a little further away from the mic?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Franchescanado posted:

My biggest frustration with Raised By TV is how Gabrus just stomps all over anything Lapkus has to say even though she's the more interesting of the two, mainly because she's always in character and Gabrus is never in character. I don't mind all the DO YOU REMEMBER X stuff, I just wish Gabrus wouldn't pound 3 cold brews seconds before hitting the record button.

this tends to be the dynamic when a man co-hosts a podcast with a woman, for....some reason

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mr. Squishy posted:

On this week's James Bonding, I cannot tell the voices of James Bladon and Matt Mira at all. One is a little further away from the mic?

One sounds significantly smugger than the other.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mr. Squishy posted:

Mira's the terrible one who covers up his insecurity with his unfunny jokes by immediately going "AHHHHH" and changing the subject

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's much simpler than that: Mira is the unfunny one.

If someone is being funny, you can bet that it's not Matt Mira. Easy!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
In defence of Mira, co-host of a podcast I like: he's fine. I've no animosity towards him.
Does anyone know that PFT diversity video thing the boys talked about this week? I'm mostly asking because I don't like missing references, even when they explain it so thoroughly I don't need it to understand the joke much.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I’m guessing the PFT diversity video is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzbQWp77zMg

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Mr. Squishy posted:

In defence of Mira, co-host of a podcast I like: he's fine. I've no animosity towards him.
Does anyone know that PFT diversity video thing the boys talked about this week? I'm mostly asking because I don't like missing references, even when they explain it so thoroughly I don't need it to understand the joke much.

Probably this one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YzbQWp77zMg

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

feedmyleg posted:

It's much simpler than that: Mira is the unfunny one.

If someone is being funny, you can bet that it's not Matt Mira. Easy!

Matt Mira is a tedious abrasive unfunny Goon, pathetically ungrateful for his luck in being anointed by Chris Hardwick

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think RBTV essentially suffers from being a side show where nobody is really going to put a huge amount of effort into it beyond pressing Record, which is a shame.

This show is ADHD distilled. Like, the real brain disorder, which Lapkus and Gabrus clearly have. There's a characteristic high-speed-low-depth conversation rhythm that happens when people like this sperg out together, and wouldn't you know it's exactly what this show is for an entire hour holy poo poo I love it yeah I remember that did you see that episode sure but what about "classic quoted line" omg yeah that line but what about "deeper cut quoted line" or that cooler show that was only aired on BBC in 1999 that came before the trilogy which you can watch on youtube but the quality is bad so you should torrent but yeah who torrents nowadays oh yeah I remember torrenting all the time in college and-

That is BEAUTIFUL MUSIC to the ears of ADHD people, who have to constantly suppress energy and listen to boring lovely regular person conversations. Long live RBTV

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

R. Guyovich posted:

this tends to be the dynamic when a man co-hosts a podcast with a woman, for....some reason

But the opposite when whomping up those jams!

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
If you don't normally listen to Hollywood Handbook there are some secret guest appearances from Scott Aukerman and Paul F. Tompkins that had me weeping (plus Tawny Newsome is awesome and should be a guest once a month)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

scott answering the phone with "not gonna happen" made me lose my poo poo

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

cams posted:

scott answering the phone with "not gonna happen" made me lose my poo poo

Literally the best cliffhanger handbook has ever had

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
We need to talk about Chef Kevin, and who is going to gently caress him.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

HH was so great

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the ads were particularly great today, too.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

With last week's very funny Shaun Diston ep and Tawny this week, the boys are on a bit of a streak.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Now to patiently wait for Hollywood Handbook Pro Version to appear on the unofficial RSS feeds

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Man, just got around to listening to last weeks I4H and the case closed was brutal. I guess the upside is that if you were confused about what trump supporters believe it really gives you insight into their divine right point of view. I wonder how many sky scrapers that guy is responsible for building and all the crime he's responsible for stopping, if we were all like him we'd really be great!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Listening to the latest James Bonding, I feel like hungover Matt Gourley sounds just a bit like H. Jon Benjamin.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Chairman Capone posted:

Listening to the latest James Bonding, I feel like hungover Matt Gourley sounds just a bit like H. Jon Benjamin.

The Horrifying Matt Mira story makes me think there's going to be a replacement host if they get a 3rd season of James Bonding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Hollywood Handbook pro version is exactly what I've been missing from Hollywood Handbook. It's a good return to the old bits they've abandoned while working in newer stuff like Chef Kevin.