Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's almost certainly Morathi, but Dechala the Denied would be a fantastic surprise. Both were devoured by the Dark Prince but escaped, that "no longer denied!" line is a big suggestion, but everything else in that monologue points more to Morathi.

Although a new huge Dechala kit would overlap with Fulgrim and/or a serpentine Keeper of Secrets, if they wanted to get away from sexy bondage cow imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

more evidence that the "Dead God" is Khaine

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

more evidence that the "Dead God" is Khaine

Wonder if the Avatar of Khaine is going to get ported over from 40k as well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

It certainly wouldn't be the worst idea. Especially if it give GW an excuse to update the drat thing Greater Daemon style.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also looking around it's amazing how much 8th edition and the End times screwed with Morathi's Lore. Glad Total War decided to ignore it and just make her like shes supposed to be. Wonder how she and Malekith will be presented in Age of Sigmar.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Urgh, I know I wanna play a Destruction army, but I really can't decide on which one.

Ironjawz are cool, but they basically have a single list at 1k.
Bonesplitters have fun fluff, but they're expensive and will probably never be expanded.
Gutbusters were my first choice, but kits are getting hard to come by, will probably never be expanded.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We may eventually get a cool battletome.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's not like there isn't precedent:

Although Khaine was more hands-off in WHFB. His cult was essentially the Witch Elves and Assassins, lead by Morathi (except during the Storm of Chaos), with Hellebron attempting to usurp in 8th.

I missed the "Twisted into the form of her tormentor" line the first time around, but snake-bodied FINAL FORM! Morathi would be pretty rad.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TKIY posted:

They got a bunch of new kits right at the beginning along with fire dwarfs.

Like what 3 characters and 2 plastic boxes and a monster? loving weak

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

S.J. posted:

Like what 3 characters and 2 plastic boxes and a monster? loving weak

Thats one less thing than Sylvaneth got and and one more thing than the Fyreslayers got. Meanwhile Death hasn't gotten a single model release for the lifetime of AoS. Only the themed Chaos forces and Stormcast have really got significantly more.

I do want a fully fleshed out Moonclan Grot faction based around the Fungoid Cave-Shaman's aesthetic though

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

i get stormcast being a new faction and all. and i get chaos because it's an easy overlap with 40k for selling models. of course it's still bullshit.

also bring back bretonnians

i think i'm just upset the ironjawz can't ally to get an arachnarok or whatever, or that each of these book releases seem to have covered so drat few models.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

i get stormcast being a new faction and all. and i get chaos because it's an easy overlap with 40k for selling models. of course it's still bullshit.

also bring back bretonnians

i think i'm just upset the ironjawz can't ally to get an arachnarok or whatever, or that each of these book releases seem to have covered so drat few models.

Stuff may be fixed with how they have been doing them recently. Stuff like the Ironjawz book was back when they had no idea what they were doing. All the Chaos books they have released recently have covered lots of models and given tons of options.

For example Maggotkin of Nurgle gives you assess to powerful abilities and magic for All Nurgle forces. Which includes the Rotbringers, Daemons of Nurgle, Slaves to Darkness with Nurgle Marks, and Clan Pestilens. Legions of Nagash will pretty much turn the entire Death Faction into a mixed force that works much better then doing something like just playing Skeletons. Giving several Alligence powers with multiple benefits and synergies along with Lores of magic.

Really the issue is that they just started figuring it out. So not everything has gotten the fix yet. Plus from the Sounds of it Malign Portents is going to more or less being Age of Sigmar 2e.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Just bought a job lot of Sylvaneth. My excuse is they are for my daughter. She wanted an army with 'girls' in it. She's 8, it's excusable.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Decided to go with fluff over gameplay, and bought into Bonesplitterz.

Time to kill the biggest monster I can find.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So, Path to Glory draws near. I've decided to run a Slann Starmaster as my Champion and feel pretty good about that, but it only affords me 2 follower choices. I'm thinking I should be conservative early on and go for either 2 units of Saurus Warriors or 1 each of Saurus and Skinks. Any recommendations? Should I consider a more unorthodox pick?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deified Data posted:

So, Path to Glory draws near. I've decided to run a Slann Starmaster as my Champion and feel pretty good about that, but it only affords me 2 follower choices. I'm thinking I should be conservative early on and go for either 2 units of Saurus Warriors or 1 each of Saurus and Skinks. Any recommendations? Should I consider a more unorthodox pick?

I personally would start fairly simple taking the stranger stuff as you start building up.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-sauruswarriors-en.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-skinks-en.pdf

Looking at them is probably the best way to decide what to take. I would probably go for one of each. So you have strong frontliners and some ranged fire. Saurus are also very solid basic troops given that they can ignore Rends of -1 and have an auto 5" run.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 24, 2018

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks. I'm not sure what sort of disadvantage I'd have against someone's who's champion allows them 4 followers off the bat but picking the backbone units seems like the best way to mitigate that.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
How's this games to play now? My local store has an steampunk dwarf big box left and I love the models and am super tempted to pick it up.

E: gotten back into wargaming with 40k after a long, long hiatus

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The basic rules are still stupid, but the lore is improving and the stuff like matched play and Battle plans improves it from what it was two years ago.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is it possible to just run a state troops force and shoot the poo poo out of a cosmic horror? I don't get the army setup. Could you have state troops and treeman reinforcements since they're both order?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

JBP posted:

Is it possible to just run a state troops force and shoot the poo poo out of a cosmic horror? I don't get the army setup. Could you have state troops and treeman reinforcements since they're both order?

Yes and yes. You could run pure Free Peoples and get the Free Peoples bonuses from the General's Handbook, or you could mix in Treemen, but only get the Order bonuses from General's Handbook.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Decided to go with fluff over gameplay, and bought into Bonesplitterz.

Time to kill the biggest monster I can find.

:allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yes and yes. You could run pure Free Peoples and get the Free Peoples bonuses from the General's Handbook, or you could mix in Treemen, but only get the Order bonuses from General's Handbook.

Can't Freeguild ally with Trees? So you can take a few chunks of them without loosing the Free Peoples Bonus.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tiger Millionaire posted:

How's this games to play now? My local store has an steampunk dwarf big box left and I love the models and am super tempted to pick it up.

E: gotten back into wargaming with 40k after a long, long hiatus

The Sky Dwarves are pretty solid as a faction I heard.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Can't Freeguild ally with Trees? So you can take a few chunks of them without loosing the Free Peoples Bonus.

Oh, poo poo, yes, they totally can. So in a 1k list, you can have 200pts of it be Treepeople and not lose the Free Peoples bonuses.

They're so much fun to paint so far, since they're like, 80% green. So much so that I don't care that they have literally one viable list!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Current cart for Path to Glory looking like

Slann Starmaster (1)
Skinks (20, 4 extra)
Chameleon Skinks (5)
Astrolith Bearer (1)
Start Collecting Seraphon (for Saurus Warriors and eventually the other critters)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deified Data posted:

Current cart for Path to Glory looking like

Slann Starmaster (1)
Skinks (20, 4 extra)
Chameleon Skinks (5)
Astrolith Bearer (1)
Start Collecting Seraphon (for Saurus Warriors and eventually the other critters)

This seems like a good start. If you build the Carnasaur in the Start Collecting box as a Scar Vet you will eventully be able to add him to your army too which is cool.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 25, 2018

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

They're so much fun to paint so far, since they're like, 80% green. So much so that I don't care that they have literally one viable list!

No, hell yeah I really support this. Savage Orks are one of my favorite things about Orks and a full army is something I have considered in the past.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JBP posted:

That's what I run - Free Peoples with Ironweld Arsenal allies. Handgunners getting to unleash volleys at 2+/2+ and -1 rend is my favorite thing. Mobs of cheap as poo poo State Troops with Hold the Line, that +1 save warlord trait and the detachment bonuses are mad good.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Rules clarification: I was watching a batrep earlier and while allocating wounds they treated normal wounds as though they were mortal (or the 40k version of mortal wounds anyway). If I land a single attack that does 2 damage does it take out two 1-wound enemy models or just one?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deified Data posted:

Rules clarification: I was watching a batrep earlier and while allocating wounds they treated normal wounds as though they were mortal (or the 40k version of mortal wounds anyway). If I land a single attack that does 2 damage does it take out two 1-wound enemy models or just one?

From how the rules state. It takes out two models.

quote:

4. Determine Damage: Once all of the
attacks made by a unit have been carried
out, each successful attack inflicts a
number of wounds equal to the Damage
characteristic of the weapon. Most weapons
have a Damage characteristic of 1, but some
can inflict 2 or more wounds, allowing
them to cause grievous injuries to even the
mightiest foe, or to cleave through more
than one opponent with but a single blow!
In order to make several attacks at once, all
of the attacks must have the same To Hit, To
Wound, Rend and Damage characteristics,
and must be directed at the same enemy
unit. If this is the case, make all of the hit
rolls at the same time, then all of the wound
rolls, and finally all of the save rolls; then
add up the total number of wounds caused.

Basically High damage attacks are far more dangerous against hordes then in 40k.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 25, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SRM posted:

That's what I run - Free Peoples with Ironweld Arsenal allies. Handgunners getting to unleash volleys at 2+/2+ and -1 rend is my favorite thing. Mobs of cheap as poo poo State Troops with Hold the Line, that +1 save warlord trait and the detachment bonuses are mad good.

Yeah I was just reading about this. I only used trees as an example, but I'd definitely be down to run a gun line with an Ironweld tank or some cannons supporting fancy lads in puffy shirts.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 25, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

From how the rules state. It takes out two models.

Basically High damage attacks are far more dangerous against hordes then in 40k.

Which is how it should always work :colbert:

Nothing like wading into a horde with a big fuckin' high-damage weapon and sweeping 2-3 dudes with each swing.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
The newest malign portents story got me amped up for stormcast again. It's exactly the kind of lore that got me interested in them when it came out. So good, you are evil.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Moose-Alini posted:

The newest malign portents story got me amped up for stormcast again. It's exactly the kind of lore that got me interested in them when it came out. So good, you are evil.

Appearntly this was largely always the deal with the Knights Excelsior. Considered one of the most brutal and willing to do horrible things. We saw one of them in an earlier short story for MP were one attacked a farmer trying to protect his young sick child.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Moose-Alini posted:

Unironically agree!

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
First time I've been legitimately interested in Stormcast even the slightest so this MP thing is definitely working for them. Oppression in the name of order is one of my favourite narrative tropes

I mean, I still wouldn't buy them but I don't find them offensively boring anymore so that makes the setting more inspiring.

Been reading a few battletomes to get a feel for the factions lore wise before I inevitably bite the bullet with Death. I love the Beastclaw Ogre models but I'm not thrilled with what I've read of them so far.

Which are the interesting factions to read about?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
WHFB lore was all generic fantasy poo poo, the age of sigmar lore reads like it is a mish mash of every cultures creationist legends and fuckin owns.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Tiger Millionaire posted:

WHFB lore was all generic fantasy poo poo, the age of sigmar lore reads like it is a mish mash of every cultures creationist legends and fuckin owns.

...said the goon with a Stephen Universe avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

moths posted:

...said the goon with a Stephen Universe avatar.

I was gonna interject here but then remembered my own avatar.

• Locked thread