Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

frajaq posted:

do you guys skip map bosses from time to time? I swear some of these map mods are too vicious in certain bosses and the experience loss stings a lot at higher lvls, do they even drop that much of a better loot to be worth the risk

if the mods make the boss really stupid and i die pretty much instantly i will just nope on out of there. i usually try everything though because i play sc and gently caress experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

frajaq posted:

do you guys skip map bosses from time to time? I swear some of these map mods are too vicious in certain bosses and the experience loss stings a lot at higher lvls, do they even drop that much of a better loot to be worth the risk

Never run bosses unless you need the unlock (or it's something like Shaper)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Or alternatively, always run bosses because it's a big part of the game and if you can't do at least regular map bosses your build is bad and you should feel bad.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
The best part is I never follow my own advice, I always end up doing them because "what if something drops?!"

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

WhiteHowler posted:

Huh, I've had like eight of them drop this season. I've just been vendoring them. Is there a fun build they work with?

I doubt they'll be worth anything unless they have >70% crit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

frajaq posted:

Off the top of my head they have a better chance to drop a higher level map. I usually only skip them if I'm farming for xp or the map has particularly lovely mods for a boss fight - or if the boss itself is just particularly lovely for my character like Vault was.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Desert springs boss is ok to skip :)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

802.11weed posted:

Desert springs boss is ok to skip :)
yeah this loving encounter is so annoying

and they dont even give you a 2nd exit so if you dont clear the rest of the map first you have to backtrack through the whole arena

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Zombiemancer is probably the chillest highest damage build I've ever done with almost no real interaction from myself. I just shield charge around the map while watching twitch or whatever and everything dies, no phys reflect (doable but annoying) or no regen maps but everything else has been cake so far. Path of Building says zombies are pushing ~1.3-1.8 million deeps (not counting Animate Guardian aurabot i think) it feels real good if a bit slow compared to some stuff. I've chewed up every boss I've ran across so far, but I haven't pushed all the way to shaper yet due to a little bit of altitis.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
someone teach me the secret art of using pob with spectres

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Don't

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Arrhythmia posted:

someone teach me the secret art of using pob with spectres

Suffer through the game until you can get to Act 8, pick up Solar Guards, proceed to murder basically everything.

In other words:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

whypick1 posted:

Suffer through the game until you can get to Act 8, pick up Solar Guards, proceed to murder basically everything.

In other words:

just use srs until act 8

although really there are very good spectres available at almost any time

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 25, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

pob with spectres
TLDR New A5+ spectres use some complicated scaling formula that is different from old spectres that POB developer can't figure out.

George
Nov 27, 2004

There are good spectres as early as act 5. Prayer Guards, Kitava's Heralds...

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The fireball Ribbons or whatever in Act 3 work fine until you can get to something good. They suck but characters that suck easily beat Act 3 and 4 all the time.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I did flame sentinels from A3 til I got solar guards (especially since they use the same links).

e. I did keep using SRS to help with single target for a few acts though

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Is there a spectre that synergises with solar guards that provides better single target damage? I miss the way my tukohama's vanguards would rip thru map bosses in seconds, but I don't think I can stomach clearing maps at that speed again since switching to solar guard.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

u got mares in yr house posted:

Is there a spectre that synergises with solar guards that provides better single target damage? I miss the way my tukohama's vanguards would rip thru map bosses in seconds, but I don't think I can stomach clearing maps at that speed again since switching to solar guard.

No, but apparently you can build a pretty solid clearspeed setup for flame golems using a elder helmet, and keep vanguards for single target.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Patch 3.1.3 drops tomorrow. New burning ground effect!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2079225?utm_source=gameclient&utm_medium=motd&utm_campaign=motd

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Or alternatively, always run bosses because it's a big part of the game and if you can't do at least regular map bosses your build is bad and you should feel bad.

Or be less goony and ignore multi phase bosses because you could clear another map by the time you kill that annoying boss. Also ek nova and autobomber are not bad builds. Only reason to kill bosses now is if you're doing the influenced challenge or map completion like another goon said.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Or...it's fun for some people to actually play your character against a wide variety of challenges, including bosses.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

silvergoose posted:

Or...it's fun for some people to actually play your character against a wide variety of challenges, including bosses.

:frogout:

If you're not min/maxing every second of playtime you're a filthy casual.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Or be less goony and ignore multi phase bosses

lmao

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

u got mares in yr house posted:

Cannibal Fire-Eaters from Shore Maps do insane single-target damage and can use more or less the same gem setups as Solar Guards. A good balance is probably 2 Fire Eaters and 2 Solar Guards.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

silvergoose posted:

there's nothing challenging about the scorpion boss when you have 2m dps but can't delete it because it has phases. It's just annoying. I understand they want us to experience "their vision" of bosses but I did that at 68-85 when I had poo poo gear.

For the record I am killing bosses but that's because I'm going for 40/40. I do try to stay away from the maps like scorpion boss if possible.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Holyshoot posted:

there's nothing challenging about the scorpion boss when you have 2m dps but can't delete it because it has phases. It's just annoying. I understand they want us to experience "their vision" of bosses but I did that at 68-85 when I had poo poo gear.

For the record I am killing bosses but that's because I'm going for 40/40. I do try to stay away from the maps like scorpion boss if possible.

Yeah I was simply objecting to the statement "the only reason to kill bosses is..."

Some bosses are obviously annoying as all gently caress.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

If I'm under 30% or 40% on a level (currently 91) I'll do bosses and generally not care. The further along a level I get, the more cautious I am with bosses. I'm at 94% right now and there are several bosses I simply am not going to fight again until I ding.

Easy: Carcass, Basilica, Reef, Sunken City (maybe not for all builds), Colosseum, Acid Lakes, Crimson Temple
Skippable: Lava Lake, Dig, Desert Spring (this is the scorpion right?), Malformation

Also the Kitava boss is a pain in the dick and I don't want to bother with that ever.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
So I dropped a biscos this morning and I want to try one of these 200 mile per hour currency farming builds. I've got an EQ Jugg and an elemental ST raider already this league, so I want something a little bit different. Any suggestions for fun builds? Cost wise I've got the biscos plus maybe 10-15 ex so unfortunately HH is off the table.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Windripper.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Andy Dufresne posted:

So I dropped a biscos this morning and I want to try one of these 200 mile per hour currency farming builds. I've got an EQ Jugg and an elemental ST raider already this league, so I want something a little bit different. Any suggestions for fun builds? Cost wise I've got the biscos plus maybe 10-15 ex so unfortunately HH is off the table.

i've heard autobomber works without a hh but you might need a bit more then 10-15ex. The helm alone is 6-15ex(depending on 1 or 2 sockets), though I am not sure how needed that enchant is which props up the price.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Vasudus posted:

Windripper.

George
Nov 27, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

If I'm under 30% or 40% on a level (currently 91) I'll do bosses and generally not care. The further along a level I get, the more cautious I am with bosses. I'm at 94% right now and there are several bosses I simply am not going to fight again until I ding.

Easy: Carcass, Basilica, Reef, Sunken City (maybe not for all builds), Colosseum, Acid Lakes, Crimson Temple
Skippable: Lava Lake, Dig, Desert Spring (this is the scorpion right?), Malformation

Also the Kitava boss is a pain in the dick and I don't want to bother with that ever.

Basilica's boss is terrible. You sure you're not thinking of Defiled Cathedral?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't mind Basilica. I can outleech everything he does and he's even got adds to help with my flasks.

Carcass, on the other hand, can suck a trillion dicks for every time it's one shot me.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I like the elaborate boss fights a lot, it's a really welcome change of pace. If the entire late and endgame was churning through mobs I think I'd go insane.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

The newer/fancy boss fights was one of my favorite parts of 3.0. That and the smoothed out leveling experience made this game go from something I tried and got bored/fed-up with easily for the last year into something I play pretty heavily now.

Sidenote:
I know everyone keeps saying cremation is a supplemental skill or meh, but I'll do my damnest to make something that uses it as a primary next league. And/or bodyswap.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

I like the elaborate boss fights a lot, it's a really welcome change of pace. If the entire late and endgame was churning through mobs I think I'd go insane.

you can just go do uber lab and its insanely profitable as well

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

George posted:

Basilica's boss is terrible. You sure you're not thinking of Defiled Cathedral?

Basilica's boss is annoying with his phases, but I've never come even close to dying.

Let's assume you're Volatile Dead/Cremation. You can wear absolutely any boots you want to that aren't Bubonic Plague/Skyforth. What do you go with?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is he? By the time I made my way to that map my damage was already at the point that without boss hp modifiers he could only do one move before being forced to transition phases, making him ridiculously easy because all of his moves are so heavily telegraphed that I could avoid any damage at all and just watch him eat repeated light beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Is he? By the time I made my way to that map my damage was already at the point that without boss hp modifiers he could only do one move before being forced to transition phases, making him ridiculously easy because all of his moves are so heavily telegraphed that I could avoid any damage at all and just watch him eat repeated light beams.

He's a pain in the dick because fuuuck do those transitions take foorreeeveerrr.