Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
He's not wrong about WHFB at least :smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Please don't disparage the Old World in this thread, tia

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Please don't disparage the Old World in this thread, tia

Everyone knows it's best to not speak ill of the dead.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

:smith:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

I only got into the setting with Total War: Warhammer but it really was pretty rad. :rip:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Honestly I am excited they are making two different settings (well fully different systems too) for the new rpg books they are making. WFRP is easily one of my favorite games to play, but I think you could do some interesting stuff in the AoS setting. I get why they went to the 40k style freedom of a setting so big nothing ever really matters. Having lots of space to play around in can lead to interesting things, but until very recently AoS had been too undefined. I was honestly wondering if towns and cities even existed or just Khorne Boys in forts fighting Sigmarines over nothing.

I would have been way less salty if AoS had been an alternative high fantasy sword and sorcery setting along side the Old World, even if they stopped supporting things in it. The way they brutally slit 8th editions throat and hurled the body in a dumpster was the worst thing.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

New teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYalTMkOGQU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hellebron was the 'Queen' was Morathi?

Maybe Morathi is the new avatar of Khaine (the last video talked about being remade in the image of their destroyer or something) and Hellebron is main character?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That was definitely Morathi talking in the newest video, with the same voice as the previous one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

That was definitely Morathi talking in the newest video, with the same voice as the previous one.

I think it's her voice actor from Total War Warhammer too.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it's her voice actor from Total War Warhammer too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13SZzkQWAkk&t=136s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYalTMkOGQU&t=42s
Sounds too different to me

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Another misc rules question, coming from a 40k perspective: if I have a unit of melee infantry holding the line and engaged with an enemy unit, can a unit of ranged infantry behind my line fire through the friendlies to hit the enemy?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Another misc rules question, coming from a 40k perspective: if I have a unit of melee infantry holding the line and engaged with an enemy unit, can a unit of ranged infantry behind my line fire through the friendlies to hit the enemy?

Yeah, ranged attacks can basically target anything in range unless completely hidden from TLoS.

One of, if not the biggest, flaws in AoS.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Can ranged guys still shoot the same guys they are also locked in combat with? Or shoot out of their combat into another combat?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Can ranged guys still shoot the same guys they are also locked in combat with? Or shoot out of their combat into another combat?

Yeah. Literally anything in range they can see.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I think it’s a great way that AoS is different from most other skirmish tabletop games. It makes you plan ahead about combat positioning and makes retreating a more interesting decision. It also makes the shooting rules pretty simple.

It makes sense when treemen with big spiky bow are shooting spectral arrows into bounding Khorne bloodthings but does look dumb when a handgunner is firing point blank into an orc.

There’s room for improvement but like the turn roll-offs it makes you play the game different in a way I think is good.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
the double turn is my least favorite part of AOS. will I get used to it as I get good? do most people play with that rule?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Danimo posted:

I think it’s a great way that AoS is different from most other skirmish tabletop games. It makes you plan ahead about combat positioning and makes retreating a more interesting decision. It also makes the shooting rules pretty simple.

It makes sense when treemen with big spiky bow are shooting spectral arrows into bounding Khorne bloodthings but does look dumb when a handgunner is firing point blank into an orc.

There’s room for improvement but like the turn roll-offs it makes you play the game different in a way I think is good.

40k 8th edition lays out the groundwork for AoS 2: Less Stupid Edition.

You can simplify but at some point you go too far.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Old World gave us Total Warhammer and Vermintide so until someone gives enough damns about the sigmarverse to make a kickass videogame in it sigmarverse loses by default.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Xarbala posted:

The Old World gave us Total Warhammer and Vermintide so until someone gives enough damns about the sigmarverse to make a kickass videogame in it sigmarverse loses by default.

let's not forget shadow of the horned rat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsar8wpUV84

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

S.J. posted:

let's not forget shadow of the horned rat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsar8wpUV84

you know i actually did, my b

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Aaaaaaah! Waaarpstoooone!

I think this is the first time we got Skaven voiced as Skexies, and it was perfect.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
How are Knights excelsior on the table? I'm thinking of repainting my golden boys.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To be honest if the Vermintide devs were to make something like, say, Vermintide: Welcome the Elemental Plane of Rats (An Age of Sigmar Joint), that would kind of own?

And my use of the phrase "elemental plane" is an admission that I've basically seen the sigmarverse as a lovely knockoff of Planescape.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

well they're already making a sequel

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

S.J. posted:

well they're already making a squeakquel

S.J.
May 19, 2008

holy poo poo

in other news, is there any reason for me to get into ironjawz/greenskins/whatever? or are they just awful. it's really weird to me seeing that the entire ironjawz 'faction' consists of like 6 options

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

S.J. posted:

holy poo poo

in other news, is there any reason for me to get into ironjawz/greenskins/whatever? or are they just awful. it's really weird to me seeing that the entire ironjawz 'faction' consists of like 6 options

Ironjawz are the best Destruction faction by a pretty long chalk. They don't have much list variance at all (which is why I decided against them), but all those half dozen units are good-to-great.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Ironjawz are the best Destruction faction by a pretty long chalk. They don't have much list variance at all (which is why I decided against them), but all those half dozen units are good-to-great.

I guess it kind of annoys me that OnGs were known for their huge variety of units and combos they could take and now... this. Womp womp. I mean at least it's a bunch of rad heavy stuff. Is the dude on the maw krusha any good at 1k or do you just need to wait for 2k?

S.J. fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 25, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The sooner they pretend the original AoS factions don't exist and give everyone the new Death faction treatment, the better.

Between that, the ranged combat, and the double turn, there is so much dumb games baggage I hope they nu40k away.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

even so the poo poo in 40k is just so awful it makes sigmar look pretty appealing in comparison

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

S.J. posted:

I guess it kind of annoys me that OnGs were known for their huge variety of units and combos they could take and now... this. Womp womp. I mean at least it's a bunch of rad heavy stuff. Is the dude on the maw krusha any good at 1k or do you just need to wait for 2k?

He's nearly 500pts, so I'd recommend waiting for 2k.

I do agree that Destruction in particular needs smashing into like, 5 factions. Orcs, Goblins, Night Goblins, Ogres, Monsters.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Gay Horney posted:

the double turn is my least favorite part of AOS. will I get used to it as I get good? do most people play with that rule?

yes and yep. You just start accounting for it and playing the objectives in the mission. If you are going first and your opponent is setup for the possible double turn, then you maybe just play defense or the objectives and wait for your upcoming possible double turn. Also if you are going second and win the roll for round 2 its sometimes the best idea to give them the top of the round so that its just alternating unless they decide to let you have a double turn later.

S.J. posted:

holy poo poo

gitmob grots artillery is pretty good and those factions can ally them. but its finecast web order only.

My destruction army is Spiderfang Grots. They're fun. Sometimes I get lucky with the Grand Alliance allegiance ability and send 30 spider riders screaming across the table but I'm not going to tell anyone they're actually competitive.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
In think the rule is always select to go second until you can break the game open with a double turn. It denies the opponent the chance to do it on their terms.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

yeah the list i had made was just two of the ironjawz starter boxes + 2 of the goblin stone throwers. the spiderfang grots looked neat too but that's mostly because it's a ridiculous savings to get 20 of the riders and 2 arachnaroks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not to mention it's rather cheap to pick up spider riders on eBay thanks to the 6th edition starter box.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

In think the rule is always select to go second until you can break the game open with a double turn. It denies the opponent the chance to do it on their terms.

What does this mean practically, as someone who's never played?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

What does this mean practically, as someone who's never played?

The start of every turn you roll off. Winner decides to go first or second. Always go second if you win because it denies your opponent the ability to go back to back next turn.

If, however you win the roll and have gone second, you wait until you can decisively strike hard enough to basically win the game.

Essentially continue to deny your opponent the ability to go back to back until you can crush them and then take the back to back yourself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think shooting armies always prefer to go twice in a row if they can. As it means less chance of them getting their shooters killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A new version of Nagash leaked and by it, it looks like Summoning is changing as he lost his summon double the number of units ability for the power to heal and revive them.

• Locked thread