Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

This is a very funny book, mostly because I recognize a lot of the corporate language here.

And also because I find it hilarious that Pentex has an actual and serious focus on making sure all their horrific evil is pointed outwards and that, whenever possible, people aren't pissing into the circle.

Their discrimination policy covers sexual orientation, gender identity, personhood status, lycanthropy and horrific mutations.

Also: psychic premonitions are considered actionable evidence of discriminatory behavior, as are auguries and "cross-realm information gathering."

The corporate language comes from our direct experience of real-world corporate poo poo. "Company values" and "mission statements" and all that hollow garbage that's designed to disguise just how bad pretty much every corporation is if you're not a C-level or shareholder.

As with so much about Pentex, the subsidiaries' sections cleave a lot closer to real-world corporate evil than people might think. Especially Sunburst (on-site facilities so workers never need to go home is a Google feature, and startup ideas ripped from tech-bros), RED (the Daily Mail and the Murdoch Empire, down to the clothing guidelines and insane partisan slants), and Tellus (so much of what's there is drawn from the experiences of ex-EA employees).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Frankly, some of the corporate evil seemed too weak compared to real companies.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Loomer posted:

See Nestle's "People don't really need water, right? If they want to have the necessary fluids to live they should just pay us for the right to do so!" as an example.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think my favorite so far is Endron running an alternative energy company and using them to "prove" that alternate energy doesn't work, such as by having them "prove" that wind farms cause domestic violence, because of spinning.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mors Rattus posted:

I think my favorite so far is Endron running an alternative energy company and using them to "prove" that alternate energy doesn't work, such as by having them "prove" that wind farms cause domestic violence, because of spinning.

Still can't beat Nestle's "Our board of director's saw Tank Girl last night and really liked it to the point that we want to share the plot with the world." thought process regarding water and the rights to it therein. I mean, honestly. There's evil and then there's comic book "Lock him in the hydration tubes!" levels of super villain evil.

Edit: Or anything to do with Goldman Sach's. Good lord. They'd give a vampire in this setting a run for their money when it came to predatory behavior.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 24, 2018

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Archonex posted:

Or anything to do with Goldman Sach's. Good lord. They'd give a vampire in this setting a run for their money when it came to predatory behavior.

See also: anything De Beers.

Archonex posted:

Still can't beat Nestle's "Our board of director's saw Tank Girl last night and really liked it to the point that we want to share the plot with the world." thought process regarding water and the rights to it therein. I mean, honestly. There's evil and then there's comic book "Lock him in the hydration tubes!" levels of super villain evil.

Also: wut?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love that Tellus, a canadian Telecom my friend works for, is officially Wyrm-owned.

Loomer posted:

A classic: http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/most-evil-companies/1/

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Foglet posted:

See also: anything De Beers.

Also: wut?

I was also about to mention Debeers. They've probably tried to kill/actually killed whistleblowers for leaking about their practices in obtaining diamonds, if some old articles are to be believed.

The Nestle thing has to do with the CEO and higher ups in the company trying to claim that water is not a "human right" (He criticized the right to it as an extreme/radical position to take, in fact!) and that people should have to pay to have it (Bottled water is one of Nestle's products, to give some perspective.) or die suffering. This took place awhile ago and left people both confused at how stupid of a statement it was and enraged at how blatantly evil such a corporate belief is.

They eventually tried to reverse course and say that it is a human right after people rightfully excoriated the company for literally ripping off the plot of a schlocky dystopian action movie but that just lead to people making jokes about how they couldn't make up their minds and ultimately continuing a number of minor boycotts of their products.

This links into the Pentex thing because...Well, how the gently caress do you even top that?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 24, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Archonex posted:

Edit: Or anything to do with Goldman Sach's. Good lord. They'd give a vampire in this setting a run for their money when it came to predatory behavior.

Oh, it's not the worst, I just think it's funny as hell.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Archonex posted:

The Nestle thing has to do with the CEO and higher ups in the company trying to claim that water is not a "human right" and that people should have to pay to have it (Bottled water is one of Nestle's products, to give some perspective.) or die suffering. This took place awhile ago and left people both confused at how stupid of a statement it was and enraged at how blatantly evil such a corporate belief is.

Don't forget the incredibly salient fact that this was said in the context of their California plant pumping millions of gallons of water out of a spring, bottling it and shipping it off to be sold elsewhere in the middle of a drought.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 24, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

Don't forget the incredibly salient fact that this was said in the context of their California plant pumping millions of gallons of water out of a spring, bottling it and shipping it off to be sold elsewhere during a loving drought.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that.

TL;DR: Nestle's board of director's is basically staffed by a bunch of water vampires. If I could find a gif of that scene from Tank Girl of Malcom Mcdowell stabbing some guy with a water bottle and sucking out all of his bodily juices out in the form of water I would post it here. Because that's literally, literally, Nestle's higher ups in human form. They just haven't perfected the tech for it yet.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 24, 2018

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I thought Wraith was supposed to be the most depressing oWoD game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MonsieurChoc posted:

I love that Tellus, a canadian Telecom my friend works for, is officially Wyrm-owned.

The Canadian telecom is Telus (with one L).

So it's only probably Wyrm-owned.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
It's like the problem Leverage had. A lot of their plots were inspired by actual corporate and/or rear end in a top hat behavior, but some had to be toned down because nobody would believe someone would be that saturday morning villain evil.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Terrorforge posted:

Don't forget the incredibly salient fact that this was said in the context of their California plant pumping millions of gallons of water out of a spring, bottling it and shipping it off to be sold elsewhere in the middle of a drought.
On an expired permit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Prism posted:

The Canadian telecom is Telus (with one L).

So it's only probably Wyrm-owned.

Trust me, with everything my friend tells me, it'S definitely Wyrm-owned.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

It's like the problem Leverage had. A lot of their plots were inspired by actual corporate and/or rear end in a top hat behavior, but some had to be toned down because nobody would believe someone would be that saturday morning villain evil.

Exactly. Everything mentioned already in this thread is something I've had in mind, but that would have caused backlash if it'd gone into the book as being "too over the top". Werewolf already gets dinged as "furry Captain Planet", if we'd included the Nestle-water-thing as an example of Pentex' malfeasance people would claim we were leaning into that rather than just including poo poo that happens in the real world.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah. IIRC, they did an episode on For-profit prisons bribing a judge to sentence people to them so they could get a kickback for meeting state capacity requirements.

How was it less evil than reality?

The real world case it was based on was a juvenile facility and the judge was being bribed to send children there.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Archonex posted:

If I could find a gif of that scene from Tank Girl of Malcom Mcdowell stabbing some guy with a water bottle and sucking out all of his bodily juices out in the form of water I would post it here.

Not a gif, but you want to start at 3:20 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIfMAhK7Boo&t=200s

Archonex
May 2, 2012

ulmont posted:

Not a gif, but you want to start at 3:20 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIfMAhK7Boo&t=200s

Oh god, I think he drinks from it after that too.

The top comment is

quote:

A glimpse of Nestle's CEO in the not so distant future.
:allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kavak posted:

I thought Wraith was supposed to be the most depressing oWoD game.

At least if it makes you angry, you're probably in the right headspace for Werewolf.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

At least if it makes you angry, you're probably in the right headspace for Werewolf.

Well unless you are transgendered or want to use birth control.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MuscaDomestica posted:

Well unless you are transgendered or want to use birth control.

I will note one of the parts of the Pentex book that made me go 'uh, really, you really want to go here?' was the bit where they talk about Pentex-run abortion clinics that use the aborted fetuses, kept alive by dark magic, as incubators for banes, and then laugh at werewolves who kill the bane-babies.

That was, um, kind of gross on an OOC level, like, 'why did you write this'.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Though if the fandom's made anything clear it's that some people like what other people don't.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

DigitalRaven posted:

Exactly. Everything mentioned already in this thread is something I've had in mind, but that would have caused backlash if it'd gone into the book as being "too over the top". Werewolf already gets dinged as "furry Captain Planet", if we'd included the Nestle-water-thing as an example of Pentex' malfeasance people would claim we were leaning into that rather than just including poo poo that happens in the real world.
To be honest, for my money I can only really enjoy Werewolf by leaning real hard into the "furry Captain Planet" angle, mostly because I tend to find ChroD a better platform for serious takes on serious issues and I like the classic World of Darkness for its grand guignol excesses.

I was super glad they did the Black Hand book for V20 so those who wanted to add the Vampions wackiness back into the game absolutely could if they wanted to, and kind of wish Werewolf had a similar supplement.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Warthur posted:

To be honest, for my money I can only really enjoy Werewolf by leaning real hard into the "furry Captain Planet" angle, mostly because I tend to find ChroD a better platform for serious takes on serious issues and I like the classic World of Darkness for its grand guignol excesses.

I was super glad they did the Black Hand book for V20 so those who wanted to add the Vampions wackiness back into the game absolutely could if they wanted to, and kind of wish Werewolf had a similar supplement.

The black hand had serious meddling from WWP to tone down some of the "Sillyness" and even remove some poo poo that was true in the old black hand books because it no longer fit the tone that WWP wants to set for the game.

Specifically, vampires no longer have souls unless they have undergone Golconda. Which means any vampire Wraiths have obviously achieved Golconda.

Even the Sabbat ones who abandoned Humanity millennia ago and have humanity 2.

I imagine any wacky fun werewolf book would be editorialized to hell and back to make it appropriately grimdark and rapey since Werewolves are all about popping out babies now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Specifically, vampires no longer have souls unless they have undergone Golconda. Which means any vampire Wraiths have obviously achieved Golconda.

That still feels like a bizarrely arbitrary decision on nuWW's part. Are they trying to make Golconda a win condition?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warthur posted:

I can promise that the Pentex book is still pretty full-on wacky, it's just written in corporate-speak and super hyped about what it's doing.

E: Except, you know, for the abortion bane fetuses. And some stuff about werewolves and anti-vaxxers that I found blackly hilarious but which some of my friends felt was too much.

E2: Short form, there's a note about a Pentex-made vaccine that is like 'this antivaxxer group claims this causes autism. it doesn't. it does cause depression, schizoid disorders and possession by banes, but not autism. good work, werewolves, great job picking your allies.'

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 25, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DigitalRaven posted:

Just put in sidebars all titled "this actually happened and is happening" with the corporation name and executives involved.

I don't like werewolf or owod but I will buy the book if you do this.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

I will note one of the parts of the Pentex book that made me go 'uh, really, you really want to go here?' was the bit where they talk about Pentex-run abortion clinics that use the aborted fetuses, kept alive by dark magic, as incubators for banes, and then laugh at werewolves who kill the bane-babies.

BvD: The Next Generation.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Kurieg posted:

The black hand had serious meddling from WWP to tone down some of the "Sillyness" and even remove some poo poo that was true in the old black hand books because it no longer fit the tone that WWP wants to set for the game.

Even the Sabbat ones who abandoned Humanity millennia ago and have humanity 2.

I imagine any wacky fun werewolf book would be editorialized to hell and back to make it appropriately grimdark and rapey since Werewolves are all about popping out babies now.

To be perfectly fair, the V20 Black Hand book still survived in a form that largely catered well both to the desire for bizarre high-level exaggerated craziness and to the preference to not get all-out stupid with it. I didn't find it particularly grimdark.

That's not to say that White Wolf Publishing AB's interjections are generally good, just that when they're doing it to an Onyx Path book, sometimes they have significant impact, sometimes less so.

(V20 Black Hand did have some super bad Path of Enlightenment writeups, but well, that's Paths of Enlightenment for you.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The issue is that their injections to the latest Werewolf book were very very bad. Tone warpingly so.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Okay, so is White Wolf doing justice to the old World of Darkness?

Because I see people complaining about things like this, that they add in things that are over the top, but that seemed to be a big aspect of old World of Darkness to begin with. And there's posters that clearly approve of these things.

Is it a matter of people remembering the game differently? Or some wanting White Wolf to have 'modernized'?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

nofather posted:

Because I see people complaining about things like this, that they add in things that are over the top, but that seemed to be a big aspect of old World of Darkness to begin with. And there's posters that clearly approve of these things.

Is it a matter of people remembering the game differently? Or some wanting White Wolf to have 'modernized'?

Its a game being created in the modern day and they will charge you modern dollars to purchase.

And its not 'back to', its explicitly worse for really badly explained reasons save for adhering to Altright :biotruths:.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

nofather posted:

It's not that they're adding poo poo in that's over the top.

It's that they're adding poo poo in that is gross and bad, in TYOOL 2018, with the same out-of-character grace and subtlety as the worst parts of the 90s.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nofather posted:

Well, White Wolf isn't really doing much yet other than meddling with OPP's stuff, and putting out those execrable phone games.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's also important to remember that Original Coke White Wolf can and did make weird sexist or racist stuff all the time; but I really think some of those were accidental transgressions that got walked back in subsequent editions as the writers became more socially aware. It's not up to me to forgive those kinds of transgressions, such as Gypsies or Kindred of the East; but I do think that those same writers knew after the fact that they had made some mistakes.

Enshrining, doubling-down and enhancing on those transgressions is the problem.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

nofather posted:

So, here's the thing. All crazy over-the-top weirdness in oWoD is not created equal. Some times you have the fun Black Hand weirdness with stuff like the True Brujah returning with their time powers. Some times you have incredibly skeevy weirdness like Clan Giovanni being a bunch of necrophiliacs that makes you want to put the book down and never mention this in a game ever. Having that latter kind of thing is technically part of what oWoD did and I guess you could interpret the modern stuff having that kind of thing as them honoring that part of oWoD if you squint really hard. The problem is that if something thinks that those sleazy parts of oWoD need to be honored you're going to want to never interact with them because how many people that think that kind of edgelord poo poo is a fun thing to include in your game do you really want to talk to in 2018?

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 26, 2018

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

nofather posted:

Proudly hired a sponsor of harassment campaigns, of all their fiction republishment options chose the one that had been edited by a child predator, injected the Werewolf passage Kurieg alluded to which arbitrarily makes both the werewolf culture and the Werewolf universe aggressively transgender-hostile, creative lead contributed a short story with the turn of phrase "full rear end-rape stiffness" and has commented on how his vision for the World of Darkness should directly tackle and incorporate the September 11th attacks and would be a good fit for revisiting World of Darkness: Gypsies.

The old World of Darkness was many things, some crazy and some just dumb, some outlandish and some just gratuitous. White Wolf Publishing AB has been kind of aiming for the edgelordiest, most culturally oblivious parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Another point is, as lovely as it sounds, back in the 90s White Wolf was progressive for including transgender characters, even if they were depicted as monstrous and other skeezy poo poo. The fact that they existed at all was more than most people were willing to admit.

But it's been 20 loving years. Times and people change, culture changes. And pretending that they didn't is actively harmful.