Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

stinch posted:

if you still a few smaller holes around the circumference the sawdust can get out and the hole saw will go through quickly in one go.

Of all the tips I've learned over the years, this is probably the most valuable. Just run the hole saw down until it makes a mark, drill some ~10mm holes around the periphery, maybe 30mm apart, so number of holes depends on diameter of hole saw, then experience divine hole sawing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

sharkytm posted:

$10 USB endoscope?

Yeah, just sure which ones are worth a poo poo

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

BlackMK4 posted:

At that price range, they are probably all the same poo poo internally anyway. I have a cheap endoscope that I was able to fish a bolt out of a bellhousing with, you'll be fine for cylinder wall inspection with one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

Was this a pun?

:tutbutt: :itwaspoo:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's what I get for replying whist my mind is elsewhere :v:

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Where should I go and how much should I spend to get a basic ratchet and socket set? After reading about Harbor Freight’s torque wrenches being not terrible for basic auto work, I’m wondering if I should look there too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Where should I go and how much should I spend to get a basic ratchet and socket set? After reading about Harbor Freight’s torque wrenches being not terrible for basic auto work, I’m wondering if I should look there too.

What kind of work will you be doing with it and how often?

Personally, I tend to recommend getting the second-cheapest brand from a reputable retailer as a starter kit.

As time goes on, you'll be adding stuff to it as the need arises and if you use it a lot, you can treat yourself to a 'nice' kit, knowing what it is you like about them

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Basic maintenance on a BMW, starting with replacing a loose taillight assembly, but mostly plugs and fluids and brake pads. I’m planning to do a few HPDEs and autocross, but even so, pretty light duty, I’d think.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pick up a Huskey socket set from Lowes or whatever and replace the things that break with used Mac, Snapon, Craftsman (meh), etc from eBay.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Sounds good. Am I right to be grabbing a $20 torque wrench from Harbor Freight, too?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Sounds good. Am I right to be grabbing a $20 torque wrench from Harbor Freight, too?

Yup, perfect for a starter set. You might buy 2, one 1/2" for lugs and one 3/8" for smaller stuff.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got the Tekton 3/8" and 1/4" sets in the blow molded cases, and for ~$40 each they're an excellent deal. Easy to store, easy to carry, and easy to see if you're missing something. The ratchets are decent, as good or better than my Craftsman USA RP ratchets. I've used them as a portable set, and done plenty of work from brakes to timing belts with them. Easier than hauling around my Craftsman sockets in Hansen trays, and they fit nicely in a tool bag for working around the house too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RCYX4WI and https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RCYX504 are the sets I have.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Avoid the 3/8s HF torque wrench. The detent in anything below half way to its max torque setting is going to be very soft as to be unnoticable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is that a problem unique to HF? I have an old but higher-end 3/8 torque wrench inherited from my late father in law (I thiiiiink it's a Proto?) that has an inconsistent and often very weak click action to it. Last calibrated in 1985 according to the sticker. It will click at the same point but I can let off and reapply force and get either a weaker or stronger click without even removing it from the fastener.

It's nice to have, especially with the smaller head and sockets, but it's somewhat maddening to use compared to my 1/2" torque wrenches where once it goes CLICK there's no doubt.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I bitched about the cheapest basic socket set at Harbor Freight before. Annoyingly, it's all 1/4" sockets and a 3/8" ratchet, so you need an adapter to use them together. I finally had to do something more than remove some trim pieces and put some torque on it. Twisted the adapter in half. Woo!

(I'm a 140 lb weakling.)

So, um, don't buy that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think you're going to need some specialty sockets, bmw likes to use torx and reverse torx IIRC. It's been awhile since I've been under one.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Elmnt80 posted:

Avoid the 3/8s HF torque wrench. The detent in anything below half way to its max torque setting is going to be very soft as to be unnoticable.

Seconding this. It's so easy to blow past that it's almost not worth buying. Almost.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Don't pay $20 for them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have an el cheapo Tekton torque wrench that's alright. Not the best but it gets the job done when I'm working somewhere I really, really don't want to overtorque something.
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24330-8-Inch-ft-lb-13-6-108-5/dp/B00FMPKAD0/

Uthor posted:

I bitched about the cheapest basic socket set at Harbor Freight before. Annoyingly, it's all 1/4" sockets and a 3/8" ratchet, so you need an adapter to use them together. I finally had to do something more than remove some trim pieces and put some torque on it. Twisted the adapter in half. Woo!

(I'm a 140 lb weakling.)

So, um, don't buy that.

Yeah, that's pretty much the fate for all adapters :lol:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BlackMK4 posted:

I have an el cheapo Tekton torque wrench that's alright. Not the best but it gets the job done when I'm working somewhere I really, really don't want to overtorque something.
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24330-8-Inch-ft-lb-13-6-108-5/dp/B00FMPKAD0/

Yeah, that's pretty much the fate for all adapters :lol:

I have always assumed that the point of adapters was to act as a physical method of informing you that you should buy the right tool for that job.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

spog posted:

I have always assumed that the point of adapters was to act as a physical method of informing you that you should buy the right tool for that job.

The adapter was the only way to use the ratchet that came with the sockets in the tool set that I bought!

Obviously, a $5 HF socket set turns out to not by the right tool.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

jamal posted:

I think you're going to need some specialty sockets, bmw likes to use torx and reverse torx IIRC. It's been awhile since I've been under one.

Depending on year, you'll also have triple square to deal with. Lisle sells a master kit, part number 60850.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I guess it depends on the model years. E46 won't have any triple square or reverse torx, but will have regular torx for strange things like door panels. GODDAMN WINDOW REGULATORS

I guess E90 brought e-torx (and the begin of the decline of BMW).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess it depends on the model years. E46 won't have any triple square or reverse torx, but will have regular torx for strange things like door panels. GODDAMN WINDOW REGULATORS

I guess E90 brought e-torx (and the begin of the decline of BMW).
Triple-square seems to be more VAG's weird thing most of the time, though even E30s have some E-Torx heads on them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

Triple-square seems to be more VAG's weird thing most of the time, though even E30s have some E-Torx heads on them.

e36 differentials have them too

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

e36 differentials have them too
Mm, wouldn't shock me, but I've never had to work on later BMs.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I’ve got an F30, a 2013 328i. So far, the video I watched on replacing the taillight assembly mentioned some Torx bolts holding in the trunk liner, though I was planning to use a Torx bit in my drill to deal with those. What I’ve read so far on fluids, plugs, and pads seems to suggest that I won’t need anything too special for those, but I’m totally fine spending a few extra bucks on more sockets if needed.

I’m walking distance from an OSH and biking distance from a Home Depot, if worst comes to worst.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I have a set of triple squares. Only used them once, to replace a Jetta door latch.

Can't think of where the E30 has etorx... :smith:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Bellhousing bolts when M20-powered, I believe.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Thanks for the coupon link, BeastofExmoor. I’ll use that for sure.

So if I want to avoid HF for the 3/8” torque wrench, what should I do for that instead? 1/2” HF, 3/8” Tekton?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tekton will be fine. Or HF. It's all user preference at this level with the click. They've been tested.

Couple things...

1) Keep it clean. Oils will remove the white lettering.
2) Unload the wrench (meaning back it off) before storing. Don't undo too much or you can actually yank it apart.

Don't get hung up in accuracy +/-. You want consistency. With that said, would I trust a HF torque wrench on TTY bolts on a LT4? Probably not. But for lug nuts and diff covers good enough. Just follow basic criss-cross pattern type fastening with a step up or two in getting there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Big Taint posted:

Bellhousing bolts when M20-powered, I believe.
Also M20 revised head bolts (early ones are hex head, and prone to failure).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Tekton will be fine. Or HF. It's all user preference at this level with the click. They've been tested.

Couple things...

1) Keep it clean. Oils will remove the white lettering.
2) Unload the wrench (meaning back it off) before storing. Don't undo too much or you can actually yank it apart.

Don't get hung up in accuracy +/-. You want consistency. With that said, would I trust a HF torque wrench on TTY bolts on a LT4? Probably not. But for lug nuts and diff covers good enough. Just follow basic criss-cross pattern type fastening with a step up or two in getting there.

Guess which $10 torque wrench I used to assemble my last couple engine builds. :haw:

American Joe
Sep 23, 2006
I bought 4 of the 3/8 HF torque wrenches for me and some buddies, and before I gave them out I tested them all with a digital torque meter. Every one of them was +/- 2%, so there's some very scientific data for you.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Heh, doesn't surprise me. Car Craft ran them through their paces years ago and they were amazed how accurate they were vs price.

Interesting read on how they read if you don't unload them:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1304-torque-wrench-testing/

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone have a suggestion for a relatively cheap ($150 or less) yet powerful pneumatic impact wrench?

I have a DeWalt DCF899 lithium ion impact, but I've encountered a handful of fasteners it hasn't had the torque to break free, like wheel lugs that some tire tech hammered with an impact set to full power. Air isn't a problem - my father in law installed his Quincy QT-5 compressor in my garage after moving into a house with a two car attached (used to have a three car detached with workshop space), which can do ~17 CFM @ 175 PSI.

Currently eyeing this HF 3/4 drive impact at ~$100 that hits for 1000 ft-lbs. Weight or size really isn't a concern as I'll only be using this when the DCF899 can't handle something.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got this HF Earthquake 1/2" that has done well. Takes even the toughest crank pulley and CV axle bolts off, and running off an older 30gal Craftsman compressor. I know you're not concerned with size/weight, but I'm impressed with it for the size. I'd say either would do well as a backup to an electric.

https://harborfreight.com/12-in-aluminum-air-impact-wrench-68424.html

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, doesn't surprise me. Car Craft ran them through their paces years ago and they were amazed how accurate they were vs price.

Interesting read on how they read if you don't unload them:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1304-torque-wrench-testing/

That is indeed interesting. I always left it loaded because I didn't think it really mattered despite the instructions clearly suggesting it be unloaded :downs:. I still would like to see it internally to better understand it but :effort:.

I need to take my HF 1/2" back and exchange it, it slips a fair amount (handle turns with 0 torque being applied).

edit: my earthquake failed after a few years (I even oiled it every time I used it) so I just bought an lithium ion to replace it for lugs and such.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Larrymer posted:

That is indeed interesting. I always left it loaded because I didn't think it really mattered despite the instructions clearly suggesting it be unloaded :downs:. I still would like to see it internally to better understand it but :effort:.

I'm guilty as well and never thought much about it at the time and probably should replace mine due to it. Live and learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are the harbor freight breaker bars okay? I know they replace their hand tools if they break, so I would think so. Is one with the adjustable angle head worth the extra money?