Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Feinne posted:

Hey you can totally solve two problems at once, open up a new loving prison wing for everyone responsible and boom they don't need to be in solitary anymore.

Now that's problem-solving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Galifianakis
Dec 29, 2012

Mahoning posted:

The only way I’d let up even a little bit on my opinion that she should rot in prison alongside Nassar is if she used her excellent fundraising skills (that the Board of Trustees can’t shut up about in the face of a massive sexual assault coverup scandal) to set up a fund for victims for ongoing therapy or, gently caress it, if they wanna buy a house in Maui for all I care.

The BOT announced the creation of just such a fund back in December. (for therapy, that is)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Rachael Denhollander (the first woman to publically accuse Nassar of sexual assault) was the last woman to speak at the sentencing. She's a loving hero.
e: updating with better video that a) doesn't stutter and b) ends with her standing ovation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wehpkiflXMs

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 25, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

Looks like she didn't put any blame on herself at all
Can't confirm complicity until after the civil suits settle.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Rachael Denhollander (the first woman to publically accuse Nassar of sexual assault) was the last woman to speak at the sentencing. She's a loving hero.
e: updating with better video that a) doesn't stutter and b) ends with her standing ovation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wehpkiflXMs

I watched that entire video.

She's 100% right in everything she said.

Not through any fault of her own, it still doesn't address the problems in USA Gymnastics or the worldwide problems of the sport.

The entire sport is based on exploiting young girls to (and beyond) their breaking points and I have no idea how to fix it. If you set an Olympic age minimum of 20 years old, you're still "farming" them out to years of horrific training so that when they reach that age, they're already like the 3-year-old horses that run the Triple Crown races: their entire lives have been spent to prepare them for a few weeks of life-altering competition which can lead to horrific results.

Everything about women's Olympic-level gymnastics has always seemed incredibly exploitative and creepy to me to the point that even when USA women win, I always wondered "what hells did they go through to get to that point?"

I guess we know now.

But hey, they sure boosted that medal count in the most televised events, so P&G and NBC made their money back.

Burn everything.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

I watched that entire video.

She's 100% right in everything she said.

Not through any fault of her own, it still doesn't address the problems in USA Gymnastics or the worldwide problems of the sport.

The entire sport is based on exploiting young girls to (and beyond) their breaking points and I have no idea how to fix it. If you set an Olympic age minimum of 20 years old, you're still "farming" them out to years of horrific training so that when they reach that age, they're already like the 3-year-old horses that run the Triple Crown races: their entire lives have been spent to prepare them for a few weeks of life-altering competition which can lead to horrific results.

Everything about women's Olympic-level gymnastics has always seemed incredibly exploitative and creepy to me to the point that even when USA women win, I always wondered "what hells did they go through to get to that point?"

I guess we know now.

But hey, they sure boosted that medal count in the most televised events, so P&G and NBC made their money back.

Burn everything.

And, though gymnastics is probably the worst offender in this regard, it is far from the only sport that suffers from those problems. I can't have been the only one that has been waiting for the other shoe to drop in some other sport.

There was a story on HBO Real Sports last year about the business of youth sports and how entire towns are pumping money intro building huge complexes with dozens of fields/courts/playing surfaces where they host gigantic tournaments that parents pay thousands of dollars for their kids to play in. It just makes my skin crawl. There is more money and power in youth sports now than there ever has been, and with that comes the incentive to cover up anything that might cost you your money/power.

Found that full segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATwFkYpVys

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I nominate John Geddart, (now former) US Gymnastics coach, to be next up against the wall. I mentioned yesterday how Dominique Moceanu tweeted out a screen shot of his email, accusing her of stabbing gymnastics in the back after everything the sport did for her. Well now it seems that former gymnast and Larry Nassar victim Lindsey Lemke, who spoke out about John Geddart's physical and emotional abuse in addition to knowing about Nassar, was threatened by Geddart after her impact statement. Wow.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you read that long ESPN piece, Geddart was so emotionally abusive that it just made Nassar’s life easier because he was trustworthy in comparison

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There's a lot of people who badly, badly need to go to prison as a result of this whole thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

There's a lot of people who badly, badly need to go to prison as a result of this whole thing.

Here’s a handy list including several of them:
http://on.freep.com/2rColmz

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It's almost at the point where all young athletes need an independent 'chaperone' who monitors all aspects of their training/health to make sure they aren't overworked, bullied, or abused. Because without wishing to be rude, their parents clearly aren't doing that.

Naturally there would be a ton of problems with that in practice, but these people just need a single person in their lives that's looking out for their welfare above their performance.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The front page of today's Detroit Free Press:

That GMC ad :ughh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jabby posted:

It's almost at the point where all young athletes need an independent 'chaperone' who monitors all aspects of their training/health to make sure they aren't overworked, bullied, or abused. Because without wishing to be rude, their parents clearly aren't doing that.

Naturally there would be a ton of problems with that in practice, but these people just need a single person in their lives that's looking out for their welfare above their performance.

It wouldn't be a perfect system but it would sure be a gently caress sight better than what we've got right now.

Make sure it's someone from outside the local community, though...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm rather horrified by how some visits were chaperoned and still they were assured it was all legitimate medicine.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm the kind who will blab about anything in the news but I have a hard time coming up with words about sick and depraved this story is. These are some of the most powerful institutions in American society and they're corrupt to the core.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

jabby posted:

In a lot of cases, the parents were banned from being at the location of the assaults (Karolyi ranch, tournament hotels). And then yeah, in others, Nassar just did it even with them right there and used his body to block their view and their poor kid didn't know what to do, because, well, they were kids.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm rather horrified by how some visits were chaperoned and still they were assured it was all legitimate medicine.

Even now people are pretty trusting of doctors. It doesn't surprise me that with a convincing enough manner he could brazen out sexual assault as 'internal myofascial release' or something of that nature even if he was caught in the act. As long as you give people a tiny amount of doubt there's always going to be massive psychological resistance to making accusations, because people are terrified of being wrong.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jabby posted:

Even now people are pretty trusting of doctors. It doesn't surprise me that with a convincing enough manner he could brazen out sexual assault as 'internal myofascial release' or something of that nature even if he was caught in the act. As long as you give people a tiny amount of doubt there's always going to be massive psychological resistance to making accusations, because people are terrified of being wrong.

He cultivated a persona as an advocate for the gymnasts.

quote:

Nassar said he was able to earn the trust of the Karolyis back through hard work and employing the same attitude he’d held since he started his work— “Gymnast first, gymnast first, gymnast first. Nothing gets in the way of gymnast first.”

Noting that the gymnasts that he once treated in the 1990s were now working as coaches in 2013, Nassar said his reputation as a gymnast-first doctor helped him expand his role within the community, adding that he was well aware that “if you screw up once with one of those gymnasts, it will spread like wildfire.”

https://deadspin.com/in-one-interview-larry-nassar-laid-out-exactly-how-he-1794176276

Then he characterized the actual abuse as medical treatment:

quote:

Time and again, over years of unfettered abuse, he would subject the girls he was meant to be helping to degrading physical examinations he described in a shameless distortion of medical terminology as “intra-vaginal treatment”. Predatory, perverted and bogus: this was the doctor from hell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/us-gymnastics-sex-abuse-scandal-shows-comes-sport-one-thing/

edit: the medicalization of sex has a really bizarre history (see, e.g., https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-sex/201303/hysteria-and-the-strange-history-vibrators )

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 25, 2018

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/956503394394542081

burn down the entire institution, comrades

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

jabby posted:

IDK. The thing is nobody 'forces' athletes do anything. In the end, it's the competitive drive of the people doing it and the essential zero-sum nature of the endeavor; it's old Mike Tyson line about why he was out running at 4:30 am: "Because I know that while I train, my opponent is still sleeping.” Trainers/coaches, at best, help draw out that last ounce of will-power. You can always say not today... you just don't want to do so. And for that reason, I've literally ran until I threw up.

But, FWIW, there are always medical professionals around at higher levels. And I 'think' they are mandatory reporters re abuse.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

gaj70 posted:

IDK. The thing is nobody 'forces' athletes do anything.

Literally their parents do.

If you get into any high enough level youth sport, you will find miserable kids and insane parents.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

gaj70 posted:

IDK. The thing is nobody 'forces' athletes do anything. In the end, it's the competitive drive of the people doing it and the essential zero-sum nature of the endeavor; it's old Mike Tyson line about why he was out running at 4:30 am: "Because I know that while I train, my opponent is still sleeping.” Trainers/coaches, at best, help draw out that last ounce of will-power. You can always say not today... you just don't want to do so. And for that reason, I've literally ran until I threw up.

But, FWIW, there are always medical professionals around at higher levels. And I 'think' they are mandatory reporters re abuse.

unless of course they themselves are proud members of the medical profession who are doing the abuse

which is depressingly commonplace

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gaj70 posted:

Perhaps that attitude does not sprint forth fully formed from the ether and indelibly implant itself in the mind of a random baby at the moment of its birth?

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

stone cold posted:

unless of course they themselves are proud members of the medical profession who are doing the abuse

I thought we've moved on to the Karolyi's. The complaints there seem mostly around harsh training methods / bullying (honest question: is there evidence they knew of the sexual abuse and didn't say anything?)

But... I'd love to widen the list of mandatory reporters. One obvious choice would the university ADs and university sexual-assault administrators.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

gaj70 posted:

I thought we've moved on to the Karolyi's. The complaints there seem mostly around harsh training methods / bullying (honest question: is there evidence they knew of the sexual abuse and didn't say anything?)

But... I'd love to widen the list of mandatory reporters. One obvious choice would the university ADs and university sexual-assault administrators.

The University is already in deep poo poo because several of the victims reported it to multiple University personnel and got handwaved away.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps that attitude does not sprint forth fully formed from the ether and indelibly implant itself in the mind of a random baby at the moment of its birth?

No idea. What does the science say?

FWIW, I think parent should push their kids a bit. As a rough analogy, every teacher I recall as being "great" challenged me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gaj70 posted:

You think the Karolyis didn't know what was going on for a decade and a half at the camp they ran? They just didn't care.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

gaj70 posted:

FWIW, I think parent should push their kids a bit. As a rough analogy, every teacher I recall as being "great" challenged me.

a cool post to make in the the most horrific sexual abuse in sports history thread

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

You think the Karolyis didn't know what was going on for a decade and a half at the camp they ran? They just didn't care.

That answer doesn't sound like there is evidence. Am I misinterpreting?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

jabby posted:

to bring in an unrelated (but related) case, eliza dushku had a handler/chaperone during the filming of true lies but that didn't keep a stunt coordinator from raping her. it's not gonna go away until we destroy the structures that allowed the creeps to fester in the first place and cultivated them after

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

gaj70 posted:

Just in the five seconds of googling I did to research exactly how Nassar characterized his "treatments," I found multiple references by Nassar to "falling outs" he had with the Karolyi's over "complaints."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gaj70 posted:

are you loving kidding me

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

gaj70 posted:

why is pretty much every post you made in this thread defensive towards the serial rapist or his enablers?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gaj70 posted:

I mean I'm going to take a wild guess and say that science generally says that complex social behaviour is heavily socialized... You are not born knowing how to behave in society.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

A slightly unusual therapy exists called internal myofascial release that involves the patient using their fingers or a special probe inside the vagina or rectum to apply pressure to the pelvic floor muscles. It's been at least somewhat scientifically investigated as a treatment for chronic pelvic pain, and if you Google it (maybe not at work) you can find stuff of varying legitimacy talking about the pros and cons, how to perform it etc.

Obviously it has nothing to do with what he was doing, but it's almost certainly involved in his cover story and shows how effective even a flimsy excuse can be at preventing people reporting abuse.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

jabby posted:

A slightly unusual therapy exists called internal myofascial release that involves the patient using their fingers or a special probe inside the vagina or rectum to apply pressure to the pelvic floor muscles. It's been at least somewhat scientifically investigated as a treatment for chronic pelvic pain, and if you Google it (maybe not at work) you can find stuff of varying legitimacy talking about the pros and cons, how to perform it etc.

Obviously it has nothing to do with what he was doing, but it's almost certainly involved in his cover story and shows how effective even a flimsy excuse can be at preventing people reporting abuse.

well also combine that with the fact that a. people aren’t inclined to listen to women anyways and b. people certainly aren’t inclined to listen to women over a male doctor

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

I don't really see how position wouldn't be just as liable to be exploited as any other trusted authority figure. Like Hieronymous Alloy mentioned, Nassar was regarded as these childrens' advocate. You really need to have people with pre-existing relationships outside these institutions being more heavily involved. And, sadly, many children don't actually have trustworthy relationships in their family lives.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

R. Guyovich posted:

to bring in an unrelated (but related) case, eliza dushku had a handler/chaperone during the filming of true lies but that didn't keep a stunt coordinator from raping her. it's not gonna go away until we destroy the structures that allowed the creeps to fester in the first place and cultivated them after

In the Penn State case, the mandatory reporters who buried the case (Curley and Schultz) were sentenced to like 3 months in prison/turned state witness.

Paterno somehow wasn't a mandatory reporter in Pennsylvania at the time, since he was a coach, so he his only duty was to report it to the AD (Curley) even if Paterno arguably had more actual power over matters because he essentially was Penn State athletics at that point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I don't really see how position wouldn't be just as liable to be exploited as any other trusted authority figure. Like Hieronymous Alloy mentioned, Nassar was regarded as these childrens' advocate. You really need to have people with pre-existing relationships outside these institutions being more heavily involved.

You could do a lot to help that by putting them materially at odds with the other people that their charges are going to encounter, the whole sport community seems really grossly incestuous and someone who has a material reason not to be involved or have an affinity for the rest of the sporting world might help, that way the theoretically decent sport people keep an eye on the chaperone and the chaperone keeps an eye on the sport people. Rather than relying on this lousy system where everyone is mates with everyone else and is willing to cover for everyone else because they all want to be part of this big lovely sporting organization.

Something like rigorous financial and social insulation from the sporting organization. The chaperone would need background checks to make sure they have no relatives or whatever involved with it and credit/bank checks to make sure they're not taking money from them. It's not much but that introduction of people who have no interest in getting involved with the system could help.

That or as said just burn the whole loving thing down it'd be no big loss.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

gaj70 posted:

Either they knew and covered it up, or they had a doctor under their employ for like a decade and did zero oversight in order to make sure there was no abuse. Either way, they failed to do their job of protecting the children in their care.

edit: On the mandatory reporting at Penn State, I still never understood why something like that needs to go up the chain. Why was anyone even going to other coaches or the AD? Call the police direct!