Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m 26 and making $2k less than the median household income in my town. Not even joking I feel a little bit guilty because of how much better I’m doing than the rest of the burnouts I used to hang out with.

I’m 29 and I make 3x mine. Also don’t let folks drag you down or spend too much time trying to help. Some people just don’t want to get their poo poo together.

Also division VP semi seriously offered to transfer folks to Amsterdam if we wanted for cultural immersion. Conversely getting decent personal IT gear is pulling teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My town's median household income is somehow over 120k. wtf

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, onwards to the important questions:
Tomorrow I have an video interview for a job on the other side of Europe, do I wear pants?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Ok, onwards to the important questions:
Tomorrow I have an video interview for a job on the other side of Europe, do I wear pants?

Yes. And nice shoes. It’s about your interview mindset and how confident you feel.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You're also describing me. Don't tell me you don't like Ole Stripey. :(

Missing: 5 direct reports. If found please return to Stripe c/o Dignity, PO Box 31933

I do want to start contributing more but to be honest I've just kinda spent my entire post career shooting the breeze. I lurk the tech threads and have a pretty good collection of links and insights copied into OneNote, but I always don't feel like I need to try to win the race to answer a question that 4 other people are going to answer, so I probably seem a bit aloof.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot and a dork.

Please don't sell yourself short.

These threads have been invaluable to me. I want to contribute more. but I have a crippling fear of being wrong since these threads have so many smart people

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Sefal posted:

I want to contribute more. but I have a crippling fear of being wrong since these threads have so many smart people

:justpost:

It doesn't matter if you're right, this is the internet and someone will think you're wrong, even if you're right.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you had to be right or smart my post count would be much lower. :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

If you had to be right or smart my post count would be much lower. :v:

:same:

I'd rather be proven wrong, then I can learn from it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Being told you're wrong is one of the best ways to learn to be right.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
You all make good points.
Thank you :)

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Hungry Computer posted:

Yeah, as much as I complain it's worlds better than the last couple jobs I had before getting into IT. Like as a bouncer where I saw coworkers get shot and stabbed*; then the management decided we all needed protective vests, the costs deducted from our pay. Or working as a gas station attendant, where I got robbed working solo on the graveyard shift. At least that kind of poo poo wont happen here.

I wouldn't be surprised if a non-zero number of tier 1 helpdesk people have been stabbed in the parking lot over ticket responses.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 25, 2018

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sefal posted:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot and a dork.

Please don't sell yourself short.

These threads have been invaluable to me. I want to contribute more. but I have a crippling fear of being wrong since these threads have so many smart people

Oh god hahaha I can't imagine what found its way in there. That must be the shortest text file in the universe.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
My apartment is right on the line of a city and a suburb and based on the city's median income I am more than doubling it, but based on the suburb's median income I am a couple hundred beneath. Otoh I have no college debt unlike most people in this city so :toot:

also I am pretty sure most of my actual posts in this thread are when this thread goes off of IT stuff because I feel like I don't know jack poo poo IT related and I just read everyone else giving smart info

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Punkbob posted:

I’m 29 and I make 3x mine. Also don’t let folks drag you down or spend too much time trying to help. Some people just don’t want to get their poo poo together.

:frogout:

That’s not what I meant at all. I’ve got friends who work really hard but haven’t been able to escape the pit of poo poo work. I’m a high school dropout. I’m a bigger screw up than any of them that haven’t done time, and I’m in one of the most lucrative fields out there because I was lucky enough to have an interest in and aptitude for computer stuff even before I knew it was a good way to make money.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

My town's median household income is somehow over 120k. wtf

Yeah, but don't Canadians use Monopoly money or something?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:frogout:

That’s not what I meant at all. I’ve got friends who work really hard but haven’t been able to escape the pit of poo poo work. I’m a high school dropout. I’m a bigger screw up than any of them that haven’t done time, and I’m in one of the most lucrative fields out there because I was lucky enough to have an interest in and aptitude for computer stuff even before I knew it was a good way to make money.

Same here to be honest. I never really went to college and my HS gpa wasn’t something to write home about.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh god hahaha I can't imagine what found its way in there. That must be the shortest text file in the universe.

It’s probably that big rear end post you did not so long ago on how to start learning new skills.

It was really good and I think Sefal is not the only one who has saved it. Actually, it’s a pretty good idea to put it in the OP.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Proteus Jones posted:

They scoop up dirt into tightly packed discs and bake them in clay ovens

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I like this thread because I like to see people dig themselves out of goonwells :unsmith:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

very stable genius posted:

I like this thread because I like to see people dig themselves out of goonwells :unsmith:

Absolutely. Goon success stories are the best in here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's like IT Oprah.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
YOU get a job!

And YOU get a job!

And YOU ... Well ok we're not all winners here

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Add me to the list of people that are probably clever enough to get by but certainly not clever enough to post in this thread regularly. You guys teach me a lot of poo poo via your normal discussion (and you even got me out of my first well) so i'm super happy you guys are, well, you guys.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Windows Surface tablets are a bitch to work on. I'm old and new things scare me.

AHHHHHHHHHHH

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

dogstile posted:

Add me to the list of people that are probably clever enough to get by but certainly not clever enough to post in this thread regularly. You guys teach me a lot of poo poo via your normal discussion (and you even got me out of my first well) so i'm super happy you guys are, well, you guys.

Nah man I'm near completely incompetent and certainly not funny, I have no reason to post in these threads. But here I am anyway! Joining in the discussions is a great way for others to reinforce good thinking and correct bad thinking, and you have nothing to lose.

I'm sure nobody remembers me posting three years ago when I was super green and sounded like an idiot.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

dogstile posted:

I post in this thread like a motherfucker. I know I'm not clever, but I'm loving persistent, so I'll claw my way to making more than the lunch servers yet!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Windows Surface tablets are a bitch to work on. I'm old and new things scare me.

AHHHHHHHHHHH

These two things are unrelated

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Think of it this way. You can post an idiotic thing here and everybody will jump at the chance to tell you not to do your thing, why it sucks, and what you should do instead. People in this thread don't know you in real life so there are no consequences, especially if you thank the thread for the input. And then you take the better idea to your workplace and look like a seasoned veteran IT pro.

You can take that same idiotic thing to your coworkers and boss and they'll either correct you and lose respect for your skills. Or they won't correct you and you'll end up doing a really idiotic thing at work that causes headaches, lost production, and a horrible reputation for your IT department.

Just post. Do good work. Get paid.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You have a good point. It's going to be super relevant for me too, as i've somehow stumbled my way into being responsible for a small business managing an IT department of 1.

Luckily i've somehow learned enough over the past 6 or so years that i feel like i'm ok, even if in the back of my head i'm going "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" every time i realise I no longer have a boss to escalate things too.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sefal posted:

You all make good points.
Thank you :)

Also don't sell yourself short either.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Fun fact: When I joined the site in 2007 I was the goon stuck in the well. I was 22, transitioning out of the army, not knowing what the gently caress. I was a total doormat, overachieving beyond my title but paid poo poo total poo poo. I was bitter and depressed without a loving clue on how to move up from a desktop support person doing all the low level sysadmin poo poo for no gain.

Multiple folks back then, no clue who it was, started talking about the concept of "growing a backbone". A goon explained that if you refuse to let yourself be a doormat that there will be a dozen other people who will take on the mantle of doormat for you. It seemed terrifying at first. "I am totally getting fired" was something I had nightmares about. My boss hated my change of course and made things even tougher on me. I found a new job 3 weeks after that and started it off the right way and here we are.

I could totally have ended up being the senior level 2 desktop support goober at some MSP somehwere living paycheck to paycheck in my 30's.

Thanks SA.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Think of it this way. You can post an idiotic thing here and everybody will jump at the chance to tell you not to do your thing, why it sucks, and what you should do instead. People in this thread don't know you in real life so there are no consequences, especially if you thank the thread for the input. And then you take the better idea to your workplace and look like a seasoned veteran IT pro.

You can take that same idiotic thing to your coworkers and boss and they'll either correct you and lose respect for your skills. Or they won't correct you and you'll end up doing a really idiotic thing at work that causes headaches, lost production, and a horrible reputation for your IT department.

Just post. Do good work. Get paid.

This is the most correct thing. When I've had issues or thought something I was unsure about or my boss would ask me a question I had no real idea about, this thread really comes in handy for being told the right direction or why X is dumb. Let everyone in here read all your bad dumb posts so you can look like an IT virtuoso in the field. 3 years ago I started in IT as a helpdesk tech and this thread has been an extremely useful part of helping me become the director of a 5 person IT dept.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

No joke I literally washed my money in the sink the other night after some beer got spilled on it. Plastic money is great.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah question time. We generally have our hardware on a 3 year refresh cycle, but we also really desperately are going to need to reimplement our ERP next year. Does it make more sense to just ride the hardware out for another year and focus next year on the ERP or should we do our hardware refresh cycle as normal and push the ERP off one more year?

Or do both

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

No joke I literally washed my money in the sink the other night after some beer got spilled on it. Plastic money is great.

I like to throw it in with a load of laundry. On purpose. Sometimes I'm lazy OK?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Recruiter called this morning and said they will not be moving forward with me on two applications due to not providing salary history. Get fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

George H.W. oval office posted:

Recruiter called this morning and said they will not be moving forward with me on two applications due to not providing salary history. Get fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Salary History:
2014: a billion dollars an hour
2017: 3 dollars a picosecond
2018: US GDP

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

George H.W. oval office posted:

Was it Robert Half?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Oh yeah question time. We generally have our hardware on a 3 year refresh cycle, but we also really desperately are going to need to reimplement our ERP next year. Does it make more sense to just ride the hardware out for another year and focus next year on the ERP or should we do our hardware refresh cycle as normal and push the ERP off one more year?

Or do both

I don't think there's a right answer here. 3 year hardware refresh is pretty nice and you could easily push it to 4 if necessary. Does the new ERP need the extra horsepower? Because if so, the answer is more obvious. Do you have the manpower to do both without causing a disaster? If you push off this hardware refresh for a year, is management going to come back and say "well, why don't we do it at 4 years from here on out?" How bad is the current ERP that you are moving off of? If you start the ERP project, is it possible it will slip and now you've just put the hardware refresh off for no reason?

To me, your main line of business app is one of the most important aspects of your business. The hardware is just hardware. If it meets the requirements, doesn't slow you down, and isn't dying frequently enough to cause a problem, I would prioritize the main line of business app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

rafikki posted:

Was it Robert Half?

It was a local firm but yea I wouldn't be surprised if Robert Half does the same kind of thing.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Salary History:
2014: a billion dollars an hour
2017: 3 dollars a picosecond
2018: US GDP

They required verification lol