Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My only complaint about activity tracking are the apps.

Strava sucks balls as a standalone app. It pauses if you raise your arm up to check your distance, unless you keep your arm moving. It seems that it links the auto-pause to the gyros only and not the GPS, which is stupid. It keeps good distance and path data, however.

RunKeeper takes like one data point every 20 seconds, so the maps look all jagged, has no auto-pause option (WTF?), and can't link data to Strava directly.

Nike Run Club just plain sucks balls and you have to go through like 8 steps to get your data outside of the Nike sandbox, which involves exporting it to Run Smash or some bullshit first.

Strong is a good lifting app, but I literally have to do a Reset Apple Watch every single time I start a workout, or it doesn't put the watch into companion mode, and I get no heartbeat data. It works, but having to reset the watch connection every time I go to start a workout is incredibly annoying. And about 80% of the time, the rest and workout timers don't move at all on the watch.

Any other run tracker apps I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well the obvious question is what is the stock Workout app missing for you?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Strong is a good lifting app, but I literally have to do a Reset Apple Watch every single time I start a workout, or it doesn't put the watch into companion mode, and I get no heartbeat data. It works, but having to reset the watch connection every time I go to start a workout is incredibly annoying. And about 80% of the time, the rest and workout timers don't move at all on the watch.

I've started using Strong now that I'm lifting again and I've literally never had this happen to me. S3 if it makes a difference.

Are you starting the workout from within the Strong watch app or the Workouts app?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
RunKeeper works well* for me if it actually gets going. Sometimes it basically just doesn’t do anything until I open the app on my phone after starting a run from RK on the watch.

Strong doesn’t seem like you can do much adjustment to a routine from the watch in the middle of a workout (like is it possible to add/delete a set? Haven’t found a way yet, at least.) If I stay within the bounds of the workout I have setup already it’s mostly okay.

So yeah... could all be much better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Well the obvious question is what is the stock Workout app missing for you?

It doesn't track GPS data from what I gather, just distance, correct? I want to be able to sync with Strava and see my maps/pace/other poo poo online.

Thwomp posted:

I've started using Strong now that I'm lifting again and I've literally never had this happen to me. S3 if it makes a difference.

Are you starting the workout from within the Strong watch app or the Workouts app?

Yeah I'm using a S3 LTE. I am starting the workout from my phone. Sometimes the watch will kick into companion mode on it's own, but most of the time I have to do a Reset Apple Watch to get it to see a new workout was started on the phone. I've tried re-installing the app and whatnot, and nothing.

fourwood posted:

Strong doesn’t seem like you can do much adjustment to a routine from the watch in the middle of a workout (like is it possible to add/delete a set? Haven’t found a way yet, at least.) If I stay within the bounds of the workout I have setup already it’s mostly okay.

I don't start a workout from the watch because, as you mentioned, there isn't very many ways to customize your workout. I like to track it on my phone better, unlike when I run, but if the companion mode on the watch doesn't activate, it doesn't get any heartbeat data.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 26, 2018

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

It doesn't track GPS data from what I gather, just distance, correct? I want to be able to sync with Strava and see my maps/pace/other poo poo online.

It does track GPS data. Your route map is saved in the Activity app, along with heart rate, avg pace, weather and so on.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

fourwood posted:

So yeah... could all be much better.

Force Press the watch screen during the workout to add and delete exercises

Force Press in the Exercise you are currently on to add and delete sets

The Gillman fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 25, 2018

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I'm using a S3 LTE. I am starting the workout from my phone. Sometimes the watch will kick into companion mode on it's own, but most of the time I have to do a Reset Apple Watch to get it to see a new workout was started on the phone. I've tried re-installing the app and whatnot, and nothing.

Ah okay. I plan my routines in advance on my phone so they're ready on the Watch when I start. Then I start them on the Watch and have had no issues.

I don't like using my phone in the midst of a workout but that's just me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Creature posted:

It does track GPS data. Your route map is saved in the Activity app, along with heart rate, avg pace, weather and so on.

Oh neat, didn't know that. I assume the answer is "lol no," but is there a way to get routes to sync with Strava? I typically use tapiriik to sync everything.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Beta 1 of 4.3 is out and it brings back iPhone music control.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gregday posted:

Holy poo poo on just series 3? Or on all watches

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

My only complaint about activity tracking are the apps.

Strava sucks balls as a standalone app. It pauses if you raise your arm up to check your distance, unless you keep your arm moving. It seems that it links the auto-pause to the gyros only and not the GPS, which is stupid. It keeps good distance and path data, however.

RunKeeper takes like one data point every 20 seconds, so the maps look all jagged, has no auto-pause option (WTF?), and can't link data to Strava directly.

Nike Run Club just plain sucks balls and you have to go through like 8 steps to get your data outside of the Nike sandbox, which involves exporting it to Run Smash or some bullshit first.

Any other run tracker apps I should check out?

I'm going to quote myself from earlier in the thread:

ChetReckless posted:

iSmoothRun has a pretty decent watch app that is highly customizable. You can have it automatically export your runs to whatever services you want, including Strava, Runkeeper, Nike+, and (my favourite) Smashrun. I mostly use Smashrun but like certain aspects of Strava -- this way, I don't have to choose one over the other, I just upload to both.

I have a Series 2 so I generally don't run just without my phone, but it supports "watch" and "watch + phone" modes. I know there are plenty of options for audio cues from the phone, not sure if the watch mirrors them without the phone around.

Yes it's a paid app, but it's absolutely worth it as far as I'm concerned. It's well maintained and feature rich.

edit - http://www.coachmag.co.uk/fitness-apps/7026/the-one-app-runners-with-an-apple-watch-should-download

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Holy poo poo on just series 3? Or on all watches

On all watches. It appears as an “On iPhone” menu item above the local Library item.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thank you Steve 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

I don't start a workout from the phone because, as you mentioned, there isn't very many ways to customize your workout. I like to track it on my phone better, unlike when I run, but if the companion mode on the watch doesn't activate, it doesn't get any heartbeat data.

Heh, see, I assumed Strong on the phone wouldn't launch it on the watch because, well, that never worked for me so I stopped trying.

The Gillman posted:

Force Press the watch screen during the workout to add and delete exercises

Force Press in the Exercise you are currently on to add and delete sets

Seriously thank you. That's... not great UX. It never would have occurred to me that you wouldn't do that from the main workout screen.

I suppose there's some guide I should be reading, but alas...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ChetReckless posted:

I'm going to quote myself from earlier in the thread:

Ah yes, this is what I was looking for. Thanks!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The first third party nylon watch I got was really nice, one of my favorites. It wasn't trying to emulate any of the current Apple styles and I think that might be the key here. Because I have tried three other that were based (sometimes with the same name) on Apple styles and they've just been garbage. Really hard and scratchy.

So that is why I finally decided to go ahead and get one of the official ones even though I think $50 is a lot for a nylon watch band. I ended up getting the sports loop since it isn't a style that I'm seeing many third party versions of yet. The color is great and it's super soft and comfortable. So for what it's worth I'm really happy with the band even though I think it's too expensive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rick posted:

The first third party nylon watch I got was really nice, one of my favorites. It wasn't trying to emulate any of the current Apple styles and I think that might be the key here. Because I have tried three other that were based (sometimes with the same name) on Apple styles and they've just been garbage. Really hard and scratchy.

So that is why I finally decided to go ahead and get one of the official ones even though I think $50 is a lot for a nylon watch band. I ended up getting the sports loop since it isn't a style that I'm seeing many third party versions of yet. The color is great and it's super soft and comfortable. So for what it's worth I'm really happy with the band even though I think it's too expensive.

The sport loop is by far my favorite of the official bands. I got two with some gift card money that I had and I haven't gone back to the polymer sport band since.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Have been accepted into the Heart Study thing and have not recorded any aberrant readings yet. :D

It’s pretty interesting to see the tech used this way. They are hoping to get n=500,000 which, if it happens, is a really impressive sample.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I got a knock-off milanese loop and drat is it good. $30 CAD and based on what I am reading it's only a little lighter than the official. Strong as hell magnet too which is nice.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

I got a knock-off milanese loop and drat is it good. $30 CAD and based on what I am reading it's only a little lighter than the official. Strong as hell magnet too which is nice.

Do share a link.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

gregday posted:

So what exactly is this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

So what exactly is this?

A UI for changing the music you're listening to on your phone. It was present in OS3 and cynically excised in OS4

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

A UI for changing the music you're listening to on your phone. It was present in OS3 and cynically excised in OS4

So it’s like the “now playing” screen but with actual menus?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

So it’s like the “now playing” screen but with actual menus?

Yep, you can browse your whole library. I used it literally every day while running.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Yep, you can browse your whole library. I used it literally every day while running.

That’d be nice. My watch doesn’t play well with my Bluetooth speaker so just controlling my phone would be nice.

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
I wonder what will happen last: iPhone X support for Inbox, a Spotify app on the Apple Watch or SpaceX landing on Mars.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Going with Mars. I'm not sure Inbox is even in active development anymore.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Vintersorg posted:

The silver milanese loop is probably the easiest band to copy, and I recommend that no one buy the real one because copies are nearly as good.

The SPACE BLACK milanese, on the other hand, is loving awesome and it is effortless to tell a copy from the original.

This image is the closest I've seen to replicating the effect in person, and it's loving huge so feel free to full size the original dimensions:

The knock off space black milanese look like rear end. Sorry, I don't mean offense if you have one. They're just the dullest option you could possibly put on an apple watch, both figuratively and literally.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Do the knockoffs contain much cadmium?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Taima posted:

The silver milanese loop is probably the easiest band to copy, and I recommend that no one buy the real one because copies are nearly as good.

The SPACE BLACK milanese, on the other hand, is loving awesome and it is effortless to tell a copy from the original.

This image is the closest I've seen to replicating the effect in person, and it's loving huge so feel free to full size the original dimensions:

The knock off space black milanese look like rear end. Sorry, I don't mean offense if you have one. They're just the dullest option you could possibly put on an apple watch, both figuratively and literally.

Which one is which?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
It’s not pictured. The picture he showed was to highlight how loving good the real space black is, it really is amazing.
I have a real SBSS link band (eBay deal) and can confirm it makes the knockoffs look like utter poo poo, no comparison by miles. The fit and finish is also a lot better, the knockoffs aren’t BAD but the real thing really shows off how Apple is one of the greatest in the world with precision metal design, polishing and now also at the tDLC coating.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I kind of take back what I've said. Today I was getting a PR on my front squat and my watch called 911 during it, that was good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

I kind of take back what I've said. Today I was getting a PR on my front squat and my watch called 911 during it, that was good.

I do a lot of front squats and your watch did you a favor. Work on your wrist position bro.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh my flexibility is atrocious but it's light years better than where I started.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Dave posted:

I had to flip my face around to put the crown on the opposite side (facing away from my wrist) because my wrist kept pushing buttons while I was lifting.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Dave posted:

"911, what's your emergency?"
"FOUR PLATES FRONT SQUAT! FOUR PLATES! PR"
"Sir? Please calm down, stop yelling, repeat your emergency?"
"SHUT THE gently caress UP YOURE DISTRACTING ME"

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
My Series 0 Sport has finally reached the point where the battery won't last a whole day. Thought about setting up a battery replacement through Apple. Does anybody know if I have the option to mail it to them or do I have to make a trek to an Apple Store to get it done?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

My Series 0 Sport has finally reached the point where the battery won't last a whole day. Thought about setting up a battery replacement through Apple. Does anybody know if I have the option to mail it to them or do I have to make a trek to an Apple Store to get it done?

You have to go to the store but be warned my watch was doing the same thing and it came back as still in spec and they wouldn’t replace the battery.

I just ended up replacing it with a 3 and I’m happier overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’d just call Apple Service. They’re generally pretty quick and fairly competent in my experience, and if it’s going to be a significant wait time they’ll give you the option to just have a rep call you back as soon as possible.