Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I wanted to make beef and barley stew with some leftover corned beef in the freezer. After cooking it, it smells alright, but tastes a little...acidic, almost? I don’t think the stock I used went off or anything, I washed off the corned beef so get rid of the stuff it cures in, and I didn’t add limes or anything. Is there something else that could contribute to the slightly sour taste, or is it the corned beef?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It would help if you posted an ingredient list unless the entirety of the stew was beef and barley and stock.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

True. Bacon; chopped carrot, onion, and celery; about 1/4 teaspoon of cumin, ground coriander seed, turmeric, and thyme; bay leaf; aforementioned ingredients.

I think I've narrowed it down to the corned beef. Probably the flavor from being cured. It's not as noticeable as I thought anyway, but I think I'll just move on and revive the barley into a soup tomorrow.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

goodness posted:

I would appreciate that recipe, thanks.

I’ve only pickled not fermented so I will have to try that as well

The "note above" about pepper safety:

I also use disposable gloves.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I need a vegetable side for a mac and cheese dinner date. My first thought was maple brussel sprouts. Any better suggestions?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Pan-roasted broccoli?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Unf. Such a better idea.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Happiness Commando posted:

I need a vegetable side for a mac and cheese dinner date. My first thought was maple brussel sprouts. Any better suggestions?

Do that recipe, but toss a teaspoon of lemon juice in with the broccoli near the end, IMO. You're going to need a little bit of acid to cut through the cheese and garlic.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I tried cooking saag aloo last night and it ended up almost entirely bland and tasteless, I'm wondering if it was a recipe cock up or a me cock up.

The recipe was
Cumin
Turmeric
Ginger
Mustard seed
Chilli powder (was sliced chilli but I had to sub)
Onion
Potato
Spinach

Fry the spice and onion, add potato and cover till cooked, then wilt spinach.

The only mistake I'm conscious of making is I might have overcooked the spice at the start by failing to add enough oil and cooking too long, but I'd have expected that to produce a burnt taste rather than no taste, is that likely to have produced that effect?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Just to be clear, you did add salt, right?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Polyakov posted:

I tried cooking saag aloo last night and it ended up almost entirely bland and tasteless, I'm wondering if it was a recipe cock up or a me cock up.

The recipe was
Cumin
Turmeric
Ginger
Mustard seed
Chilli powder (was sliced chilli but I had to sub)
Onion
Potato
Spinach

Fry the spice and onion, add potato and cover till cooked, then wilt spinach.

The only mistake I'm conscious of making is I might have overcooked the spice at the start by failing to add enough oil and cooking too long, but I'd have expected that to produce a burnt taste rather than no taste, is that likely to have produced that effect?

Sounds like you're missing salt.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If salt was fine, my next step is always to try adding a little vinegar or citrus juice.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Also assuming you salted enough, you might just want MORE of the spices. The best batches of any Indian food I make are the ones where I sit there for a minute at the beginning going "Is that right? That can't be right. That's an absurd amount of X and Y. There's no way. Well, I guess I'll do it, but it's going to be ruined by this much."

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Personally if I don't feel that way looking at a curry recipe, I double the spices.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Yeah, I add a ton of spices when making curry, for a 5qt pot, so 4qt or so of curry, I will typically use like a quarter cup or more of my curry spice blend, and then you have black pepper, kosher salt, Garam Masala, Turmeric, Cardamom and Cayenne pepper to taste. That is a big recipe though, since I usually eat it over 3-4 days along with one other person.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You are both totally right and I am coming around. I only started cooking Indian food a few years ago, and after a lifetime of other cuisines adding 1/4tsp - 1tsp at a time, it's a little jarring to see potent spices measured in fractions of a CUP.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah I find that Indian needs a lot more salt than you'd think to get food flavor.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

legendof posted:

Personally if I don't feel that way looking at a curry recipe, I double the spices.

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah I find that Indian needs a lot more salt than you'd think to get food flavor.

Both of these are correct. Also, don't underestimate how much seasoning potatoes soak up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Doom Rooster posted:

You are both totally right and I am coming around. I only started cooking Indian food a few years ago, and after a lifetime of other cuisines adding 1/4tsp - 1tsp at a time, it's a little jarring to see potent spices measured in fractions of a CUP.

whats a good non-squid brand fish sauce?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Red Boat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i buy red boat

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Red boat for uncooked sauces, three crab brand for cooking.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Get Red Boat, but also read articles about people taste testing fish sauce brands by drinking them straight.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do what Casu says, but IMO it doesn't matter what your cheap cooking fish sauce is. My Vietmom uses Squid, Three Crabs and Flying Lion fish sauce interchangably for cooking and they all taste fine. She never bothered having a separate one for uncooked sauces so I bought her Red Boat and she liked it so much she carried it around with her in her purse and sprinkled it on her lunches

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hard to find the red boat all the time but yes it's good.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I've seen Tiparos recommended for when Red Boat is pricy or scarce

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tiparos is no longer allowed for US import due to failing to show they were compliant with FDA safety guidelines. Supposedly there's a knockoff called Mae Noy which is supposed to be good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I need to do a fridge cleanout. I have carrots, mushrooms, onions, leeks, zucchini in small amounts; and a sack of potatoes. I already made soup yesterday. Any other relatively simple but good combinations using any or all of those ingredients?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Get eggs. Make a frittata.

Edit: To be more helpful:

Chopped onions
sliced leeks
sliced mushrooms
Diced or shredded carrots (shredded will take less time to cook, but will tint your frittata orange)
Grated zucchini, squeezed inside paper towel to dry them out a bit

Sweat the onions and leeks with some salt, add mushrooms and carrots, cook until the carrots are soft, add 6 eggs beaten with 1/2 cup of milk (or cream or creme fraiche if you're feeling gluttonous/fancy). Stir around for a bit, top evenly with grated zucchini then toss in a 350f oven until there is just a little jiggle left.

Slice and eat plain, or with creme fraiche, or hot sauce.

If you super want to use the potatoes, they'll be good in there, but you'll want to cook them first. Best method for that is to peel them, boil them whole in salted water until they are tender, let them cool completely, cube them and toss them in at the same time as the eggs.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 26, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Shepard's pie, pot pie, fritatta, hash all come to mind

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

wormil posted:

I need to do a fridge cleanout. I have carrots, mushrooms, onions, leeks, zucchini in small amounts; and a sack of potatoes. I already made soup yesterday. Any other relatively simple but good combinations using any or all of those ingredients?
Potage Crécy.

Doom Rooster posted:

Or fritters. Carrot and zuk fritters are a thing. A plate of alternating c&z and potato fritters with some kind of saucing is dead simple and legit as gently caress. Like one of those things that makes people go oh poo poo at get-togethers but is fall-off-a-log simple to do.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

What makes one fish sauce good or high quality compared to others?

I have some random bottle I bought in a small Thai Town market. I've assumed it's legit because I can't read anything on it but the unanimous love for Red Boat makes me curious if I'm missing something.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Teeter posted:

I have some random bottle I bought in a small Thai Town market. I've assumed it's legit because I can't read anything on it but the unanimous love for Red Boat makes me curious if I'm missing something.

The people who drank fish sauce over at Our Daily Brine posted posted:

Good fish sauce should be fish and salt, nothing more. While it will smell like fish, it should not stink or smell foul. All of the brands we tasted that smelled off, tasted off. The color should be a dark amber. Our top 4 had nearly identical colors, while the lower scoring were often a pale tea color.

There are other varying opinions out there, but the Red Boat that I sampled straight was pretty tasty. It's also becoming more available in regular supermarkets.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doom Rooster posted:

BrianBoitano posted:

Shepard's pie, pot pie, fritatta, hash all come to mind

SubG posted:

Potage Crécy.
Or fritters.

Great suggestions. Going with frittata but I want to make that carrot soup soon. I had to look up Potage Crécy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Teeter posted:

Matter of personal opinion mostly, but Red Boat is so good and complex that I almost want to sip it out of a shotglass by itself

Squid brand is, in a fish sauce taste testing I did years ago, the simplest tasting. Kinda flat in a dipping sauce but works just fine in cooking.

wormil posted:

If all else fails, stir-fy (start with the zucchini and cook the abundant water out of it)

Carrot soup is a good way to go through a lot of carrots (and a couple onions) fast, I had a big frozen bag of carrots I forgot to pull out for Xmas party so I ended up destroying it in 3 days as soups

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wormil posted:

Everything up to the potatoes would be great stir fried and mixed into japchae. Potatoes might even be fine in japchae.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What red wine should I use when a recipe calls for red wine?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Whatever red wine you like to drink normally

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The obvious advantage is, you'll already have the bottle open.

e: I feel like the key bit is "wine you'd drink normally" i.e. don't use a super expensive one you'd save for an occasion but don't use the cheapest one thinking "oh it's just for cooking" either.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Always cook with a wine you’d like to drink, is the rule.