Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
They would if they think everybody else is going to as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Well, you can't get a significant storage tank for any sane amount of money at the moment, and a very small fraction of "everybody" can afford to buy one even when the prices are normal. Besides, if the taps turn off they may remain off for quite some time (think two months in a relatively happy scenario), so you would have to have something substantial to actually have a tank make things comfortable.

Either way, people who are in a position to plan such things in advance are not really at issue in any way other than likely being the same people who have done a very poor job of conserving water. The hit to the economy and the very shaky plans for providing water to everyone who needs it means a lot of people in already tricky situations will have some very hard times, that they don't themselves deserve, with this. Aside from a lot of obvious bad scenarios one shouldn't forget about the risk of disease spreading either.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lol, just lol

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-22/trump-taxes-solar-imports-in-biggest-blow-to-clean-energy-yet

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

this will bring chinesium solar panel prices in line with us solar panel prices, kinda?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

.....Did Trump just kick Elon Musk squarely in the balls?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

.....Did Trump just kick Elon Musk squarely in the balls?

Does Musk import all the panels for his solar roofs from China or does he actually have them made in his US factory? If it's the latter it's a subsidy and he'll probably be limited by not being able to expand factory output fast enough (lol see the ongoing Tesla production line issues lol) while every reseller of cheap solar panels goes bust.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

While Tesla intends to make the Solar Roof at its factory in Buffalo, New York, the company said in its earnings report that the first installed Solar Roofs, which it described as “pilot” versions, were made at Tesla’s factory in Fremont, Calif.
src

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

suck my woke dick posted:

Does Musk import all the panels for his solar roofs from China or does he actually have them made in his US factory? If it's the latter it's a subsidy and he'll probably be limited by not being able to expand factory output fast enough (lol see the ongoing Tesla production line issues lol) while every reseller of cheap solar panels goes bust.

While Tesla intends to make the Solar Roof at its factory in Buffalo, New York, the company said in its earnings report that the first installed Solar Roofs, which it described as “pilot” versions, were made at Tesla’s factory in Fremont, Calif.

The company intends to make them in the Buffalo factory “before the end of the year.” Musk said Tesla has “made that commitment to New York and we’re going to keep that commitment," although the New York solar factory has been much delayed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pretty sure the solar roofs are a much smaller chunk of the business than solarcity which does import its panels afaik.

edit: i guess they started building at least some of their own panels in 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

pretty sure the solar roofs are a much smaller chunk of the business than solarcity which does import its panels afaik.

edit: i guess they started building at least some of their own panels in 2017

So I guess Trump is finally bringing some limited amount of manufacturing back to America, and in the process Chinese wage-slaves will be replaced by Made-in-Germany robots.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Most US businesses who install solar panels get them from China, so this will hurt a lot of people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do the tariffs also apply to solar cells or other components that make up solar panels?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Or it COULD BE about appeasing the Natural Gas and Coal folks.

Not that Trump has ever said anything about Coal.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
:tif:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Holy gently caress I wish they'd stop using imperceptibly different shades of red for the past three years. I legit cannot tell if 2018 is better than last year but still poo poo, or the worst year ever recorded. :psyduck:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Feb 2016 was when I really started getting the "hold onto your butts" imaginary klaxons in my head, so this is fun.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

suck my woke dick posted:

So I guess Trump is finally bringing some limited amount of manufacturing back to America, and in the process Chinese wage-slaves will be replaced by Made-in-Germany robots.

don't let anyone tell you its because the state of new york is letting them lease the factory rent free and gave them $750M :v:

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Rime posted:

Holy gently caress I wish they'd stop using imperceptibly different shades of red for the past three years. I legit cannot tell if 2018 is better than last year but still poo poo, or the worst year ever recorded. :psyduck:

Yeah that seems poorly thought out.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I would like to think humanity as a whole will survive the century at least half-intact.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Grouchio posted:

I would like to think humanity as a whole will survive the century at least half-intact.

2050? maybe. 2100? good luck!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Rime posted:

JAXA's global graphs are a lot more readable + interactive although it uses a diff dataset than the NSIDC ones posted above: https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop/#/extent

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

So I suppose I am to gather that, even with whatever successes we may have in combating climate change, that we as a species are doomed?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Assuming that we do end up killing the ocean properly all the way, and that even the phytoplankton can no longer survive, then yes humans will likely go extinct. That's outside of your life span though, you should be more worried about the collapse of global human civilization and the end of world peace, such as it is, which you'll probably live to see happen, assuming you're not already old.

I like this line:

quote:

But the many sober-minded scientists I interviewed over the past several months — the most credentialed and tenured in the field, few of them inclined to alarmism and many advisers to the IPCC who nevertheless criticize its conservatism — have quietly reached an apocalyptic conclusion, too: No plausible program of emissions reductions alone can prevent climate disaster.

Because it's the exact opposite of what that other dumbass in this thread keeps saying that scientists believe. Big surprise that the ever-nearing predicted dates of various catastrophes turned out to be a pattern of acceleration and not just a one-time realization that we were a little too optimistic.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I was hoping to live for at least a millenia (through anti-aging tech), and witness humanity's 'progress'. Is that now guarenteed to be a bad idea?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd definitely take a thousand year life-span if it were offered to me, but that's probably not gonna materialize at this rate. It's why I changed gears from "saving up to have my body froze when I die so they can thaw me out when they cure death" to "getting an degree so I can hopefully get to New Zealand before it's too late."

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ChairMaster posted:

I'd definitely take a thousand year life-span if it were offered to me, but that's probably not gonna materialize at this rate. It's why I changed gears from "saving up to have my body froze when I die so they can thaw me out when they cure death" to "getting an degree so I can hopefully get to New Zealand before it's too late."
What, suddenly the chances of scientists discovering how to slow down the aging process in humans (akin to cats' aging slowing down as they get older) within 20 years - have dissappeared? If I could get that life-span before I turn geriatric I would be very pleased with myself.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
We will probably dramatically extend the human lifespan via CRISPR for a select and wealthy few, before things go to poo poo, but we will still end up with maybe 10,000 savages huddling in caves as the biosphere struggles for equilibrium. Long life doesn't make you immune to starvation. :shrug:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Grouchio posted:

I was hoping to live for at least a millenia (through anti-aging tech), and witness humanity's 'progress'. Is that now guarenteed to be a bad idea?

That's pretty naive techno-fetishism.

The back half of the 21st century will mostly be humans trying to manage global economic collapse in the best way they can. There will not be anyone trying to disrupt the aging market. You'll still die from famines.

A society that had a chance to maintain progress through the 21st century would have been shifting toward renewables at full force in the mid 1990s. And you may think "oh we're just 20 years too late", well we've emitted about 35% of our total CO2e emissions in those past 20 years.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Grouchio posted:

What, suddenly the chances of scientists discovering how to slow down the aging process in humans (akin to cats' aging slowing down as they get older) within 20 years - have dissappeared? If I could get that life-span before I turn geriatric I would be very pleased with myself.

Well, look at it this way, any tech that would allow a fairly average human being to live a thousand years would probably solve global warming as well, Yay!
Incidentally, a full-on Charles Strossesque tech singularity seems to me the only future with any hope at all so it's probably all rosy for you, unless you get murdered by a stateless climate refugee before we fix everything with fusion and nanotechnology, in which case :( sorry.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Haven't western emissions been on a downward trend in the last decade? Does this thread ever get good news?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Haven't western emissions been on a downward trend in the last decade? Does this thread ever get good news?

To hit the 2C target as defined by the IPCC's latest report, AR5? No. That value was already raised from the previous safe upper bound of 1.5C. A 2C world is not a pleasant place to be and we're going to go past that.

Not to mention not every path to 2C is the same. The more you start spraying aerosols to do it the more you start disturbing precipitation patterns among other things. In terms of known unknowns, cloud feedbacks based on altitude, latitude, and condensation nuclei are one of the huge uncertainties that we're working on understanding better now and we know that we have an anthropogenic effect on these feedbacks.

The constant negative news is mostly due to people endlessly sliding from optimism into reality. That'll keep happening until we treat mitigating climate change as avoiding the extinction of almost all eukaryotic life in the long-term and preventing mass poverty, famine, and death in the 21st century.

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 24, 2018

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rime posted:

We will probably dramatically extend the human lifespan via CRISPR for a select and wealthy few, before things go to poo poo, but we will still end up with maybe 10,000 savages huddling in caves as the biosphere struggles for equilibrium. Long life doesn't make you immune to starvation. :shrug:

I'll die well knowing those rich fuckwads with elongated life will suffer greatly as the food chain collaspes.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edit Sorry Im dumb and bad at reading

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Banana Man posted:

Yeah that seems poorly thought out.

our history in a nutshell

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but Cape Town, South Africa is on the verge of running out of water

It will be interesting to see what happens. And by interesting I mean terrifying/depressing.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Inglonias posted:

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but Cape Town, South Africa is on the verge of running out of water

It will be interesting to see what happens. And by interesting I mean terrifying/depressing.

Previous page

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I haven't gotten around to picking it up yet, but before I do, I was curious about peoples thoughts on Klein's This Changes Everything.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Minge Binge posted:

I haven't gotten around to picking it up yet, but before I do, I was curious about peoples thoughts on Klein's This Changes Everything.

The book or the film?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I didn't even realize there's a film. I guess both now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Minge Binge posted:

It's been awhile, but capitalism is indeed most of the problem. Likewise, climate change is, as she more or less argues, a global crime, executed via time bomb, and this crime has been actively covered up by some of the wealthiest people in history. Similarly, we really ought to, you know, rise up or something.

Were there any particular claims you had questions about?

If you haven't read it yet, it is worth your time.

Fasdar fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 27, 2018